backback/sling pack

Author
Accountant
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
  • Reward points: 0
2014/12/13 23:35:36 (permalink)

backback/sling pack

I'm currently using a backpack from middle school to carry my gear when I wide and I'm 30 years old so quite frankly it might be time to upgrade.  Any comments on fishing backpacks or sling bags?  I don't want to go simms route and drop $100+.  Also, I spin fish and it seems like a lot of the simms products are geared towards fly fishing.  Looking for the basic amenities: waterproof, some organization, etc. 

8 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: backback/sling pack 2014/12/14 08:12:13 (permalink)
    i have one of the original orvis sling packs and for as much as i have used it, it works well.  i believe i bought it at half price, possibly when orvis came out with the new and improved model.  what's nice about it is that i can slide it behind me and casting and playing fish is not encumbered by the pack.  also, i use it for spinning gear mainly.
    trout man
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re: backback/sling pack 2014/12/14 17:49:19 (permalink)
    Hey  Accountant
    I have two bags that I use. One large that carries my spinning gear and the other, a medium sized bag, was used for salmon fishing this past fall. Both from Oakwood Outdoors. They are single shoulder bags. I carry mine over my head and under my left arm. They stay out of the way when casting and fighting a fish. They have a large and medium sized bag, both sell for around $30.  They are well made and can handle tough fishing conditions. I've used one for 4 years.  My large bag has plenty of room for four 5 x 7in boxes for my lures, spinners and jigs. Check them out, you might find what your looking for.

Tight Lines
    Trout Man
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9682
    Re: backback/sling pack 2014/12/15 08:00:41 (permalink)
    I have three sling bags.  One was just retired, so actually two.  The retired one, I bought at Old Navy about 15 years ago on clearance.  It did it's duty for about 15 years of fishing.  It fit 3 of the 5 x 7 or whatever size that is boxes and a bunch of loose split shot and other containers.  Side compartments full of plastic grubs, ect.  I have a larger one that I use for salt water fishing, that carries two larger containers maybe 6 x 10.  I put my lures in one and terminal tackle in the other.  That one is a GAP bag, that I found at a thrift store...  The replacement bag for my Old Navy one, I found at Best Buy on clearance.  Pretty sure that I didn't pay more than $10 for any of them. 
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: backback/sling pack 2014/12/15 14:49:30 (permalink)
    If you are truly looking for "waterproof" but don't want to spend $100, there are no options.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9682
    Re: backback/sling pack 2014/12/15 17:05:09 (permalink)
    My cheapos are all rather thick canvas type material, and have fished in torrential downpours and Summertime wades that have seen water.  I have never had any rusty hook issues with any of them (salt water gets a good wash after any fishing).  Even Fat Lenny never got wet when he used to tag along in my bag.  When fishing in a downpour, opening a 100% waterproof bag will let in just as much water as opening a non-resistant bag...  So, for waterproof, falling in or wading too deep would really be the only concern, IMO.  If it does get submerged while wading or fishing in a downpour, I make sure to take stuff out to let dry (most stuff is in containers inside of the bag).  Like someone mentioned above, slings are nice to wear on your back while fishing, then sling in front when needing to access.  You can tuck your rod in to free up your hands as well, or add some velcro straps, to strap to yourself (my wading jacket has this).  Those fly fishing chest packs are really nice looking and have contemplating buying one.  The ones that fold out to make a small shelf to free your hands up is a great idea.  I balance things on my sling bag to use as a temporary extra hand, but definitely not as nice as the chest packs.  I would imagine that fishing with a large one on your chest is annoying.  I know just leaving my sling bag on my front while fishing is.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    Re: backback/sling pack 2014/12/16 09:38:41 (permalink)
    I got ya, but the original poster said he wanted 'water proof', not 'water resistant'.  With the former, the options bigger than your hand, start over $100.  The latter, there are tons of options.

Some people like to wade chest deep in the summer, and keep their phones, car keys, etc in something truly waterproof.  I'm assuming that might be the reason they wanted water proof.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    Re: backback/sling pack 2014/12/16 11:12:11 (permalink)
    simms
    patagonia
    sagbrush
    orvis
    seal-line

All have water proof (not water resistant) options... either you stuff gets wet or it doesn't, "waterproof" is the only way to ensure dry
    and you pay to keep stuff dry.... price depending on closure system (zip vs roll top) and size
    "When fishing in a downpour, opening a 100% waterproof bag will let in just as much water as opening a non-resistant bag"... yes.. but your stuff will already be wet from being in the rain with a non-water proof bag

You want to be able to close the back and squeeze it with no air coming out

Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re: backback/sling pack 2014/12/21 16:50:11 (permalink)
    Yeah to elaborate on the waterproof vs. water resistant, I was looking more for something to protect from when i'm wading into the deeper water and keeping the water from seeping through. 
    Jump to: