Well?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Claypool313
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 449
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Well? 2014/12/14 09:04:50 (permalink)
Went out for some catch and release hunting yesterday AM.  1B public land, sat until 11:00 AM.  Counted just over 40 shots by noon.  Wanted to stay until 1:00 but had other obligations.  Zero deer.  Oh well, wasn't going to shoot an extra doe anyway unless it was wounded.  Guess it's time to pull stands.

On the thought of hardcore hunters changing their tactics, I probably fit that description.  The youthful fun of gun season is completely gone for me.  Many factors at play but reduced deer numbers is one of the lowest.  I'm a bit introverted and never really liked hunting in a crowd.  Rather pursue deer by myself most of the time with natural movement.  Between aging and passing family members, other annoying family members, the social aspect of gun season is gone.

With ever increasing year-round archery hunting preparation I see way more deer in Oct / early Nov then I ever did in gun season.  Sure it's pretty tough and very time consuming to consistently tag a 2.5+ yr old buck with a vertical bow.  I think I've improved year over year to where the gun season continually has lower and lower value to me.  Plus I'm usually able to get my doe early in the year.

So now I use nearly all of my hunting vacation in archery and simply save 2 days for gun as contingency (I needed it this year!).  But I would still identify myself as a gun and archery hunter.  I doubt my personal time expenditure for hunting related activity is average, so my change in deer hunting habit is probably not the best example, just one example.
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Well? 2014/12/14 10:01:26 (permalink)
My son was hunting the Greenvile area yesterday. 15 drivers pushing woodlots. Total deer seen...3...WF...very slow hunting in my necks of 4-A and 2-C
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8504
Re: Well? 2014/12/14 10:23:30 (permalink)
Hunted Greenville area...saw 8 total...2 half racks, 2 6 points 4 doe. Never filled tags...my choice. 3 doe tags in pocket. Keep whacking does and BB and you,ll see less and less deer. just sayin....

World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Well? 2014/12/14 10:26:50 (permalink)
On the plus side, I saw pics of a huge 180" gun shot deer,  and a, well above 220, archery kill...WF...I guess its like hittin the lottery, not many chances for success but you still have the minuscule chance at a the big prize.....come to think of it, the 180 lived free in a federal park{posted} and took a walk one day and the 220 lived at a power plant{posted} and did the same thing.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Well? 2014/12/14 10:45:46 (permalink)
Hunted Greenville area...saw 8 total...2 half racks, 2 6 points 4 doe. Never filled tags...my choice. 3 doe tags in pocket. Keep whacking does and BB and you,ll see less and less deer. just sayin....~Mikastorm.

Amen.........  Amen......... Amen!

I do use my antlerless tags in late season archery; I can't tell you how many years I hunted second season and saw antlerless that use to be antlered.  Funny, we can't shoot less then a '3-up' until they lose their antlers.   The weather this year just might allow the bucks to retain their antlers longer; I better not laugh, just yet.

PS. I still have popcorn so, you late season dudes best be posting some pictures and that includes the small gamers too.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: Well? 2014/12/14 12:43:18 (permalink)
With the cold damp cloudy weather lately - and a lousy mast crop -and the rut finished- the deer here are heading into winter holding areas and staying there.
Ct aint PA- our deer don't yard in big numbers but hold in small groups form 4 to 10 generally and can be seen pretty much in one thick spot affording forage all winter long with very little movement.
In the past week or so I have been driving by many of these spots that I can see from year to year near roads (generally in NO places) and the deer have been there quite consistently.
Really changes how ya hunt cause if ya see one group ya have seen them all pretty much wherever ya go now.
Not to mention if they don't hole up on your little piece of heaven you must wait for great  weather conditions for them to move a bit to you. Perhaps.
Even walking the woods lately with overnight fresh dustings of snow have resulted in very few tracks- and most all are nocturnal.
Keep on trying ??--you betcha- we are a strange breed lol..
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1668
Re: Well? 2014/12/14 13:06:43 (permalink)
S-10
Interesting, I spent 4-5 times the hours on stand in archery and saw 1/3 the doe you did. I did see 4 legal bucks and 5-6 small ones.

S-10,

Location, location, location . I should tell you as a disclaimer though the owner of the property were I saw the does doesn't allow anyone but women and children to shoot does in rifle season. The rest of us have to wait until smoke pole season,
When I hunted my other spots during gun I saw a zilch, nada, nothing like everyone else in the state.
Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well? 2014/12/14 14:14:41 (permalink)
Wow........ Took a little road trip into 2A today and I can't believe a stretch of road frontage in 1A now posted. I'm talkin' both sides of the road and cross roads. Whomever posted wasn't shy about the number of signs used either. I'd say, the owner(s) wanted to make their point known. A few places had some signs in the past but, nothing like I just saw. Going to be interesting in the future.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
Re: Well? 2014/12/14 16:40:37 (permalink)
Better last day for out crew. No deer taken but two of the guys did pass the same buck. Had 5 one one side and the other side was busted at the base. I think it is the big 10 I have on trail camera that lost a scuffle somewhere along the way. 

We saw quite a few does and a spike. Same story on the outskirts. Few hunters and even less shooting. 

My rifle is a black rifle
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
Re: Well? 2014/12/14 19:39:34 (permalink)
Plenty of hunters out in 2 areas of unit 2a yesterday.   I wasn't out since I was tagged from archery and those I woulda pushed for had other plans.   I did do some traveling though and saw a fair number of hunters over in eastern part of 2a, 3 different  groups at various locations putting on drives or walking back to vehicles obviously from just finishing up drives and a few other single hunters on stand in distance at other spots.   Saw one guy with a deer on the hood of his car, a doe. lol.  

My usual "crew" at least some of the ones who didn't harvest yet, were over in far western part of 2a, saw a few deer, one of the kids missed a small buck in the a.m.   A guy hunting the neighboring property killed a yote.   Said there were a fair number of shots compared to some of the other days, in the distance. 

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4893
Re: Well? 2014/12/15 07:43:57 (permalink)
I knew my hearing was getting bad, but I didn't know how bad.

I spent before dawn to dark and only heard 5 shots, none within a mile.

Keep mind that this was the last day of antlerless in a CWD permit zone. I was one of two hunters on 500 private acres, but the two other private tracks had driving going on all day. The Amish and the Mennonite groups had driving going on. And both the mountain ridge in front, which is private, but open to hunting and the one to the rear which is SGL are within easy earshot.

So unless I am going deaf, no one was seeing anything. I know that I did not.

I actually talked to a number of friends and coworkers that hunted more than one day (one hunted nine) and they reported seeing from high of two deer to zero. In fact one guy told me he is done and asked about ne buying his guns. He has gone from killing a deer every other season to not having seen a deer in THREE years.

I guess just being out there needs to be good enough unless on wants to work at recreation.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
jrm45
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: Well? 2014/12/16 11:25:21 (permalink)
Hey DPMS, where do you hunt at? last day i took a buck with 5 on one side, and the other side busted up. as well as his ear was slit. i'll post some pics in the next day or 2
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8504
Re: Well? 2014/12/16 19:43:14 (permalink)

jrm45
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 284
Re: Well? 2014/12/17 12:28:03 (permalink)
Last day buck. Shot on public game lands in 1B. 8:10am. 5 on one side, and a cluster on the other. Also had a slit ear. I assume from fighting.

eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4011
Re: Well? 2014/12/17 13:09:50 (permalink)
Congrats!
mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Well? 2014/12/17 15:46:16 (permalink)
congrats.............

STEVE.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: Well? 2014/12/18 14:24:22 (permalink)
Good job and congratulations--

Missed a nice one today-- far out and not getting any closer- he looked back over a blow down- took a high neck shot as that was all I could see-
 Drop him on the spot or clean miss.
Wellll- I'm home and the truck bed is clean 
 A rest woulda been nice-
Was a bit long for me offhand and I dont take iffy shots but with the hole body hidden by the  down tree and only the upper neck showing gave it a try.. 
Actually thought I dropped him as when the smoke cleared he was gone--yea right- wayyyyyy gone.
 The memory is just as good though--
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/12/18 14:29:47
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Well? 2014/12/18 20:36:00 (permalink)
  CONGRATULATIONS JRM............. enjoyed the pictures

wayne c
Pro Angler
Re: Well? 2014/12/20 16:10:55 (permalink)
Yep, congrats.

Envious of the "white stuff" in your background there.   We haven't been getting it much for hunting season over the last many years down this way.

We usually make up for it when its most miserable to have it.    March and April. lol

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well? 2014/12/20 22:05:23 (permalink)
jrm45
Last day buck. Shot on public game lands in 1B. 8:10am. 5 on one side, and a cluster on the other. Also had a slit ear. I assume from fighting.

Nice buck. You asked where I hunt earlier. A couple spots in western 2B and southwestern 2A.

dpms
Pro Angler
Re: Well? 2014/12/20 22:07:08 (permalink)
wayne c

Envious of the "white stuff" in your background there.   We haven't been getting it much for hunting season over the last many years down this way.

Yep. We had none this year for rifle season. I am hoping for some for late flintlock. One of my favorite seasons. The are calling for a skiff on Christmas day. 

wayne c
Pro Angler
Re: Well? 2014/12/21 00:25:40 (permalink)
Yeah dpms, your stating "this" season made me realize that I mis stated that.    We haven't had the snow for  the key days that I and at least a few of my family and friends have hunted for years in rifle.  Other than that, cant recall how often we've gotten it during rifle over the last several years later in the season or after we've been "done".    Did have one really nice snow, think it was last year if I recall, when I hunted a day in Fayette archery huntin' when there was a good early snow for a change tho.    Was like 3 or 4 inches.
post edited by wayne c - 2014/12/21 00:29:53

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to: