INCREASE IN DUCK STAMP FEE

Author
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2014/12/04 06:44:41 (permalink)

INCREASE IN DUCK STAMP FEE

Looks like they'll be going up to $25 next year.  Already approved in the senate, just has to be signed by the WH.  Granted there hasn't been an increase since '91,  but $10 seems a bit much all at one time.

7 Replies Related Threads

DRod
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: INCREASE IN DUCK STAMP FEE 2014/12/04 08:53:11 (permalink)
    Personally at a crossroads with waterfowl right now for a couple different reasons - only hunted ducks once last year and not at all this year.  Still bought my stamp this year.  

If I was still into duck hunting as much as I was 5 or 6 years ago, I wouldn't bat an eye at $25 for this.  

If things continue on their current trajectory, $25 will probably be enough to keep me out of the game for a few years till things change up a bit.  

pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: INCREASE IN DUCK STAMP FEE 2014/12/04 13:14:41 (permalink)
    D, same thing with me.  I used to take a weeks vacation to hunt inland swamps but my main ones gone now.  Lost interest when I lost my lab;  got a decent blind pick on P.I. 2 years ago and got out maybe 3 times.  I buy a stamp to put in for the blinds with my neighbors, but at $25, not even going to do that anymore.  Wish I still had that insane drive that got me out there, but at 60, not feeling it anymore.  
    DRod
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: INCREASE IN DUCK STAMP FEE 2014/12/04 16:23:10 (permalink)
    Had to put down my first lab, Hank, last summer (2013) at age 7.  Lyme disease he got at 4 destroyed his kidneys.  His natural ability and drive sure made it easy to make him a serviceable retriever for the type of water I normally hunted.  He was free.  

Bought another one a few months after he died, but in hindsight I shouldn't have done it so quickly.  I knew life was changing with our kids' activities and sports, and he came from a breeder who focuses on family pets and not from a hunting line.  He's got below average drive and and natural hunting instincts (he doesn't even chase rabbits or birds in the yard)  - somebody with more time and skill than I have could probably make him a serviceable retriever/hunter.  For now, he's a wonderful family pet - probably the friendliest, most loving dog I've ever been around - but I don't know that he'll ever be much of a hunter unless I would send him off to a trainer or give him up to somebody who knows training well.

At any rate, I feel ya.  It's just not the same without Hank.  The personal drive to do it just isn't there for me anymore.  Maybe in a few years it will be.

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: INCREASE IN DUCK STAMP FEE 2014/12/05 09:06:03 (permalink)
    duck hunting can be an obsession or addiction that seemingly will never wane, but it does.  sigh.  my prayer on the last day of each season was "Lord, just give me one more season".  after i crossed the 40 mark, it seemed as though kids activities forced ducking into the back seat.  somewhere along the line, i just quit.  not sure why, but i think the bones and joints took too many beatings and it wasn't as enjoyable.  that being said, i still cannot help but look for ducks and geese on the water or in the air.  i still think about migrations and the smells of spent shells, and a new box of dekes.  i miss it immensely but these days it will stay a spectator sport.  i go back to the days before lead was outlawed and there were no state stamps, but no matter what i paid, it was worth every penny...imo.
    post edited by rap - 2014/12/18 16:22:10
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    Re: INCREASE IN DUCK STAMP FEE 2014/12/05 10:05:30 (permalink)
    So it costs $25 to mail a duck?😉

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    Re: INCREASE IN DUCK STAMP FEE 2014/12/08 10:17:22 (permalink)
    Agree with D...boat registrations going up... Duck stamp.. trout stamp....and what ever else they want to go up...I usually buy every thing but guess I,ll cut the bear,archery,muzzle loader and doe license just so I get one more year with my dog. This will be her last year to hunt and maybe mine.

Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re: INCREASE IN DUCK STAMP FEE 2014/12/11 14:26:39 (permalink)
    I Would support the increase.

However, I believe that any user of federal waterfowl managed property should be required to purchase the stamp..... especially "birders".
    Jump to: