Helpful ReplyFall Fishing Adventures

Author
Lovgren69
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 245
  • Reward points: 0
2014/11/17 20:42:38 (permalink)

Fall Fishing Adventures

I've had opportunity to get out and do some fall fishing while the majority seem preoccupied with hunting.  I've been hitting it hard the last two weeks with just my neoprenes, a bucket of bait, and not a soul to be seen, haha!

In addition to chasing the walleyes around on the lower stretches of the Allegheny, I made visits to the Woodcock Creek Lake (outflow), Lake Arthur (outflow), and Shenango (Outflow)

Despite the freezing cold weather, the fish seemed more than willing to cooperate.  I had an entire series of photos that I wanted to post to accompany my fishing reports, but my IPhone had an unfortunate encounter with the water.

So a brief report for each.  I fished soley using live bait (Fatheads & Shiners) setting about 2-4 feet of line under a slip float.  This technique seemed to work well for me, given that these outflow areas are shallow, rocky, and snag infested.

Woodcock Creek ~ 3 weeks ago. 
4 walleyes (all 10-14 inches) 1 large crappie (12-13 inches), and several small bass.

Lake Arthur ~last Sat. 
3 walleyes (10-14 inches) and 1 large hybrid striper (25-26 inches)

Shenango ~ last Sunday
10 smallmouth bass (10-15 inches), 2 largemouth (8-12 inches), 1 rainbow trout (12 inches) 2 walleye (1 14 incher and 1 25 incher)  I thought long and hard about keeping the big girl, but decided to put her back.

Too bad I couldn't get to share my pictures, but overall I was impressed with fishing.  In the future I might have to put in more time in late Oct & November and hit these areas.  Last Sat and Sun were extremely brutal with the highs only in the low 30's and standing in the frigid water.  I was also impressed with the numbers and different species that I caught at Shenango.  If only it weren't an 82 mile trip each way for me .

post edited by Lovgren69 - 2014/11/17 20:45:07
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/17 21:06:55 (permalink)
Thanks Lovgren..........  nice report.  I splash around Shenango, Pymatuning and Wilhelm, for the most part.  Once in a while I hook up with a buddy and hit Arthur and I try to get to Conneaut Lake before and after the big hammers hit the water. 

As for pictures; well, we'll let it slide this time but, only this time.  From now on it don't count if there is no pictures.  

Sure glad I had a good catch this fall and have some fish to eat cause; there sure ain't no venison, so far.   

Keep in touch.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

The Ref
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 180
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/19 10:19:09 (permalink)
Do any of you hit French Creek in the fall?
I'd like to hear some reports if anyone has some.
Thanks
BoroMusky
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/19 12:09:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby MuffPistol 2014/12/01 14:53:00
Ref, how about you go give us a french creek report.  Go find out whats biting and where then share with us so we can go.
post edited by BoroMusky - 2014/11/19 12:10:40
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/19 12:41:21 (permalink)
BoroMusky
Ref, how about you go give us a french creek report.  Go find out whats biting and where then share with us so we can go.

Sounds like you might be good at trolling!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/20 10:32:27 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Thanks Lovgren..........  nice report.  I splash around Shenango, Pymatuning and Wilhelm, for the most part.  Once in a while I hook up with a buddy and hit Arthur and I try to get to Conneaut Lake before and after the big hammers hit the water. 

As for pictures; well, we'll let it slide this time but, only this time.  From now on it don't count if there is no pictures.  

Sure glad I had a good catch this fall and have some fish to eat cause; there sure ain't no venison, so far.   

Keep in touch.

This coming from someone that hasn't posted a single public picture since he joined. Stop throwing stones in your glass house. Show us some proof that you're NOT the troller.

The Ref
Avid Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/20 22:43:49 (permalink)
Just looking for an honest report Boro....but somebody always has to be an ****-hole about it.
You can bet I'd never share anything with you...lol
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/20 23:21:05 (permalink)
Take a chill pill Chauncy, it ain't even Dec. yet and already your showing signs of cabin fever. Must be something in the air or maybe the lack of it.

chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/21 19:44:23 (permalink)
Aha. Finally an opportunity to have a battle of wits with an unarmed foe. No chill pill needed troll boy.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/21 20:19:52 (permalink)
Sounds like you may have gone off your meds.

As for a battle of wits; I prefer somebody with 'some' intelligence, know anybody......... boy?

PS. Please include any (if they exist) pictures.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/11/23 10:00:27

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/23 09:59:36 (permalink)
Kenny?.............. Kennnnny?

Hmmmm...... must be looking for a picture of somebody with intelligence.

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/23 10:35:12 (permalink)
Was 'loaded and truckin', 'East bound and down' across 422 passing over Lake Authur. South of the highway the lake had some skim ice and open water. North of the highway, open and choppy water. What really caught my eye was the boat on the water. Not uncommon of course but, the O.A.T. was around 28 degrees and it was raining. Freezing rain I must add.

Now that is what I call a dedicated angler! Hope he caught a boat load of fish!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/11/24 17:14:37

BorgCollective
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 186
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/24 15:11:44 (permalink)
Really???
Can't even spell the lake's name correctly.

Yes, we are still here!
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/24 15:28:35 (permalink)
Nice report Lovgren69!

I consider the Shenango my "home river" and know it very well. Also make many quick trips below Woodcock since my family has a cottage up that way. I've fished below Arthur a couple times but don't know it too well.

Kudos to you for releasing that nice walleye! Great fish......hopefully someone else gets the opportunity to reel it in as well. I honestly can't remember the last time I've seen a walleye greater than 15in released(except for me) there unless it was out of season. And regarding the species.......after giving it some thought I think I've gotten 16 different species there. 7 in a day I think is my record. The upper river between the two lakes has the same, minus the trout(well, sometimes they escape a stocked trib). Love that watershed.

This year a good number of bowfin swam up from French into Woodcock. Had some pretty awesome days this summer, but the fishing eventually dwindled as people started killing them. I contacted the PFBC about it suggesting they put up signs, which they did, but it didn't help much. You can't fix stupid.........     They patrol that area and I see them at the swamp a good bit too but of course these low lifes won't kill fish when the officers are there watching them.

And don't worry about the pics, BeenThereDoneThat obviously hasn't been to those places enough to know that those aren't overly superb fishing days. Would love to see a pic of that eye, but we believe ya(or at least I do).

That's crazy about the guy on Arthur. during those conditions I too hope he got into a pile of fish, and hope he had his PFD on!
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/24 17:44:20 (permalink)
BorgCollective
Really???Can't even spell the lake's name correctly.
[/quote

??????????  
You blogging from your 'subspace transceiver'........................  Beam (or is it beem) me up.............. Scotty!
.............................................................................................................................................................

Really fellas? You, not see Lovgren mention he had pictures but, dropped his phone.................

Just some good-natured ribbing; sorry if your offended.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/11/24 18:31:57

Lovgren69
Avid Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/24 20:01:41 (permalink)
Hey-I wasn't worried about a little good natured ribbing, and was certainly not offended!  I just wanted to share my fishing experience, nothing more nothing less.

I've been a member here since 2003,  and those that know me realize that I don't fabricate stories just for the sake of bragging.  I probably fish close to 50 times a season, in all types of weather and conditions.  Just ask yourself how many fisherman, would be drowning bait in 25° November weather, standing waist deep in 40° degree water for hours fishing?? (I reckon not too many, lol)

Bigger picture, I think that many of us that have been here forever [Member since 2003]- have just grown tired of the constant negativity coming from many of the naysayers.  And also the people who only post to invoke reactions from others, criticize others, and call out other members (And I'm not throwing you into that category!!)

It's a fact too that these forums used to be way more: informative, friendly, and good natured.  Nowadays it's many just littered with a bunch of non-sense.  Which is why you see so many long time members hardly posting at all.

BTW I returned to Shenango yesterday, and didn't have quite as good an outing as the last time.  But I still managed 6 white/ hybrid? bass, 3 rainbows, 1 walleye (17 inches-which I donated to some shore fisherman who weren't catching much), and 1 large yellow perch.  Water was freezing cold.  That will probably be it for the wading there this season!!
post edited by Lovgren69 - 2014/11/24 20:12:27
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/24 20:32:02 (permalink)
Good deal Lovgren............  Never doubted your word...........  Appreciate the come back. 

Enjoyed your post and hope to see more in the future.

troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/24 21:31:57 (permalink)
Lovgren69

BTW I returned to Shenango yesterday, and didn't have quite as good an outing as the last time.  But I still managed 6 white/ hybrid? bass, 3 rainbows, 1 walleye (17 inches-which I donated to some shore fisherman who weren't catching much), and 1 large yellow perch.  Water was freezing cold.  That will probably be it for the wading there this season!!

Yesterday afternoon? I think you were they guy I briefly talked to as I was heading out. Small world! Yep, that water was chilly! Didn't help that I had a leak in my waders lol

Lovgren69
Avid Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/25 11:27:22 (permalink)
troutguy
Lovgren69

Yesterday afternoon? I think you were they guy I briefly talked to as I was heading out. Small world! Yep, that water was chilly! Didn't help that I had a leak in my waders lol

I reckon that was probably me, if your referring to the tall guy with minnow bucket & backpack who was standing out there spin fishing.  I stuck it out until about dark, though the bite never really picked up.  I had a nice little flurry for awhile, where I was getting a hit almost every cast.  Although unfortunately  I couldn't hook the **** things.  My guess is that they were probably walleye, as evidenced by my minnows coming back half eaten, skinned to the head, or having teeth marks half all over them.  You're not kidding, that water was chilly indeed!!  Small world after all I guess...Matt
troutguy
Expert Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/25 11:41:40 (permalink)
Yep, that was probably you then. Nobody else fishing except for those couple people on the rocks. I was wearing a waist pack, net, and both fly and spin gear. No luck fishing artificials with the spinning rod............all my fish came fly fishing. Low and slow seemed to be the ticket for both of us! I hear ya about bringing back half eaten minnows.....frustrating. Sounds like walleye to me as well....

dakota kid
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 235
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/25 11:44:26 (permalink)
Sounds like you should have started threading your minnows.

Lovgren69
Avid Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/25 12:04:50 (permalink)
dakota kid
Sounds like you should have started threading your minnows.

Not a bad idea; except I have a hard enough time hooking them through the lips when it's cold like this.  Stand in waist deep, 40° water long enough while constantly dipping your hands into a bait bucket, you lose your dexterity in your hands pretty quick!  LoL  Not to mention, the fish wouldn't touch a dead minnow.  So having to re-bait every 5 minutes doesn't help
post edited by Lovgren69 - 2014/11/25 12:06:42
chauncy
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/25 19:18:10 (permalink)
BeenThereDoneThat.
Kenny?.............. Kennnnny?

Hmmmm...... must be looking for a picture of somebody with intelligence.

Actually, I was trying to find a picture of you holding a fish. Mission was and still is unsuccessful as you only post, not fish. As you've stated, pictures or it didn't happen.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/25 20:04:33 (permalink)
chauncy
Aha. Finally an opportunity to have a battle of wits with an unarmed foe. No chill pill needed troll boy.

Welcome back..........

This was your challenge Kenney and I accepted. Still waiting; it don't count if there are no pictures.

PS. Could you let me know if you require extra time to think of rebuttals. I thought you quit!

BoroMusky
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/26 09:35:59 (permalink)
Not trying to be an ****hole Ref.  What I was getting at is that's a lazy question to be asking if fishing is good somewhere instead of scouting it for yourself. 
The Ref
Avid Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/27 08:06:17 (permalink)
"Lazy question" I get that Boro...but no where in my original post did I ask for spots or baits or anything else
but a report...believe me I put my time in myself on the lakes and streams. I don't need help with that. Just trying to maybe make some discussion here.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/27 08:16:28 (permalink)
Good morning Ref and Happy Thanksgiving.

Just some food for thought; BoroMusky should never be called a @zzhole...........

@zzholes have a purpose in life. ;-)

The Ref
Avid Angler
Re: Fall Fishing Adventures 2014/11/27 11:41:26 (permalink)
Happy Thanksgiving to you also Been
and that sounds like good food...........
Jump to: