recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts

Author
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/18 22:28:40 (permalink)

recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts

I have 5 to 6 people that next year we are looking to go out of state to hunt trophy whitetails with a bow..does anyone have any recommendations on where to go? what state should be looked at? Guided hunt? Public?

14 Replies Related Threads

Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/10/19 07:22:41 (permalink)
    We are leaning towards self guided hunt. Just need to pick a state
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/10/19 09:42:27 (permalink)
    Regardless of where, when, how, etc. Do your homework 'well' before you commit. Many dreams have been made and so have nightmares. Various states offer public land for hunting however, access to that land may be limited or impossible. You may choose to hunt a non-guided reserve only to pay more even though unsuccessful. Speaking of reserves, make certain to get ALL cost up front before you shoot their trophy buck. (is it a trophy?) Venison can get really pricey when it is sporting a hat rack. Least not forget, should you opt for a guide, gratuities are expected.

Having traveled literally two million plus miles across Americas highways and byways I have to say 'The Buckeye' impresses me the most when speaking of whitetail. Time and time again I would see awesome heavily racked deer in the fields and woods. Many times these deer were in groups feeding along the highway. I often wonder just what a trophy would be if what I was seeing was common to the area. Conversation with locals while making deliveries, as to open land for hunting, didn't reveal a serious problem with getting access to public or private land. Archery would not be a problem, especially, in those areas limited to shotgun and bow hunting.

I'll certainly stand corrected when I say W.VA. is most likely the most difficult to access private land and, public land is usually surrounded by private land.

Definitely check the web sights as some states offer free hog hunting as an incentive to visit.

Just do your homework WELL before.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/10/19 09:48:40

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/10/19 12:23:01 (permalink)
    Eman- you have mail
    DRod
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/10/19 16:30:36 (permalink)
    I lived in Kentucky from '98-'01 during grad school.  Very good public hunting opportunities with the bow, and is often one of those second tier trophy states mentioned in the outdoors media.  I lived just south of Lexington and hunted about 40 miles west on private property (mostly) near Taylorsville Lake.  Saw many quality bucks at check stations and deer processors, and saw the biggest buck I've ever seen on the hoof there during archery season one year.  

Not sure if things are still the same, but when I was there:

State WMA's (Wildlife Management Areas - their version of our SGL's) were wide open to archery hunters but restricted in gun season to a lottery system.  The times I bow hunted on WMA's, I rarely saw other hunters.  Deer densities were not real high in many areas back then, but trophy potential was pretty significant.  

As BTDT referenced with regards to WV, private property was very difficult to get into.  A friend and I lucked into a 260 acre farm when we stopped to ask for directions to the Taylorsville Lake WMA one day.  What I was told - not sure if it's true - was to NEVER venture onto private property that I didn't have permission to be on because of the high concentration of marijuana grows in the state.  Pot was at the time the #1 cash crop in KY.  

Seems that Western KY is a popular destination for trophy hunters, and also northern KY along the Ohio River.  
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/10/19 19:42:20 (permalink)
    I lived in South Dakota for a while. I would say it was the best deer hunting I ever experienced. They don't have a lot of records coming out of the state, but the number of deer is overwhelming. On average the bucks out there were larger than here, but the number of hunters was way lower. I passed 12 different bucks before I shot mine at noon on the first day. I was hunting public land(archery only) and never saw another hunter. They also sell an any deer tag good for whitetails and mule deer. There are certain areas where you can find both, like a few spots in the black hills. You can also get tags for pronghorn and elk as well. If you are entertaining the idea of a 23 hour drive, pm me and I'll tell you a few good spots.
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/10/22 15:44:18 (permalink)
    I like all the ideas
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/11/21 09:39:36 (permalink)
    I'll be working in Missouri during their second archery season. $225 for a two deer/ two turkey tag. I already have my area picked in one of the counties with the highest harvest numbers. 30,000 acres with no camping restrictions. Lots of man made water holes and grazing areas. I was able to see the well used deer trails from Google earth. I already picked a tree for the climber. My leave date is Dec. 4th. I'll let you know how it goes. 

On a side note, my last trip was to Illinois. I would loved to have hunted there, but there's very little public land and the tags were $450 for one buck. I did take a walk one afternoon behind the hotel just to see what I could find. I had a 13 point(almost worth $450) and a 10 point within 20 yards neither seemed to notice me. I assume the rut had something to do with it, but I'd say all the deer I saw seemed less spooky than PA deer. I saw a stand, so the area gets some pressure.

The biggest buck I saw on the road this last trip was just off the highway near the fairview exit, a really heavy horned half rack, five or six on the one side. I'm wondering how he lost the other antler. If it was due to fighting, I'd love to see the other guy.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/11/22 09:22:21 (permalink)
    Eman, if you decide on which state let me know.
    I have a stack of those Atlas and Gazeteer maps for many of the central states from when I was planning on going out that way.
    Have; Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and Colorado.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/11/24 09:06:07 (permalink)
    I'm waiting on pins and needles to see this buck Eman. Lets see this guy. I was on the road working for the last week of the season and want to live vicariously through my fellow hunters. 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/11/24 10:16:17 (permalink)
    Dakota, I don't know if there is a better way to express ones interest as for enjoying stories and pictures submitted by others.

Your post certainly shows your enthusiasm for the sport and, how you fill the void when you have to miss out. Know that feeling all to well cause BTDT.

Good luck on your hunt and we'll stand-by eagerly waiting for those pictures. :-)

For those who can't make it out and would like to hunt a reserve there, is a listing in Venango County PA.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

hsimmons6351
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/11/24 12:16:15 (permalink)
    Alabama, When I was younger I went every year for about 12 years. Always had a lot of luck putting 4 trophies on the wall. I killed a total of 9 bucks over the 12 years. I hunted White Oak Plantation, first class.
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/11/24 14:32:45 (permalink)
    My uncle has a camp right on the border of Alabama and Florida. He wants me to come shoot hogs, but I haven't gotten an invite for deer yet. They haven't harvested any monsters yet. I guess it can be hit or miss on areas with good feed in that part of the south. It has to do with banding of nutrients in the flood soils or something like that. If my work travels take me down that way, I may try to take a hog with one of the bow/arrow/broadhead sets I made. 
    Eman89so
    Pro Angler
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/11/24 14:46:10 (permalink)
    Dk its.nothing special lol haven't been on the computer. And bings I will definitely let you know thanks
    dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    Re: recommendations for trophy whitetail hunts 2014/11/24 16:46:39 (permalink)
    Every buck taken with a bow is at least a little special. 
    Jump to: