boots

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/11/23 19:24:17 (permalink)

boots

I have an old pair of muck boots that are on their last legs and have been patched multiple times and leak very badly. Can these be worn over SF waders and provide better warmth. I know they will fill with water, but they already have holes in them and they fit fairly tight at the shins. I would fill the rest of the space with socks   Good idea, bad idea. They have I think 1200grams of insulation.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

5 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: boots 2014/11/23 19:35:53 (permalink)
    personally I think they might suck.. There seems there would be no support and chafe against the legs of waders and filling in with lots of water around your feet might make them sloppy too.
    Heck I would at least try them once, walk around the yard and see how they feel.
    Norm used to love my purple high top canvas Converse with corkers ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: boots 2014/11/23 19:49:23 (permalink)
    I though I might try them and just take my regular waders boots too. The worse that can happen is they are rotten and I just go change them out. Not too worried about the chafing as they fit fairly snug especially at the shins. They may be ok in spots where I do not walk around alot.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: boots 2014/11/23 20:35:09 (permalink)
    Ha, put them on over the waders and fill them with water to get an idea of what you might get yourself into.  As HT said you may damage the gore tex waders and thereby create a secondary issue.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: boots 2014/11/24 06:32:43 (permalink)
    The cold water that would seep in between the boot and the neo foot would hold the cold in and gain you nothing over normal wading boots. I already tried this. I been around plenty of cow sheet, too.  Muck boots actually were attached to the best cold weather  bootfoot waders the Simms Extremes, which are back on the market for about 8oo bucks. The difference between  using just the Mucks and the Simms is they actually act as an insulation factor. If you stayed up on the wall or on a gravel bar, I think they'd be good.  I would save the discomfort and just buy electric socks or use toe warmers, Clint. The toe warmers don't last all day, (they say 6 hrs.) but you seem to fish in 2-4 hr, sessions anyway. I'm going to try the toe warmers at some point, as my feet get cold at times , just not painfully so.  If you start to go more in the winter, you might consider getting some bootfoot neos. Just because I turn into a clumsy, sweaty sausage in them doesn't mean they don't keep you warmer, they're  just not for me.  I put pretty high end, thought out, and well tested layers under my waders, so I  can get away with the stocking foots.  Maybe Andy could lend you a pair of his neos and you could check out the difference. 

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: boots 2014/11/24 18:56:55 (permalink)
    Yea it was just a thought before I chuck them. I am going to go the electric sock  and or the chemical warmers route I think. I do not get that cold when I fish, but I feel if I was more comfortable I may go more in the dead of winter. Lately if I catch a fish then I really don't care if I leave after a few hours, but I have been known to stay all day especially if I am rooted to a good spot

Jump to: