Bad toe snd cold hands

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/11/19 18:06:53 (permalink)

Bad toe snd cold hands

It happens every year the first few times I go out and it is cold and I can never get my hands warm. Got so cold today my fingers just burned. It let up after a bit , but still uncomfortable.  My toe also does not. Like the extra pair of socks in the boots and that was just as bad.  As far as the fishing fairly slow, but if you worked you could hook up.  There were about 4 people total in my sight today, I did an hour on each side warming up in the car in between.  Managed 1 fish, but no camera today.  I did net a big male for a guy today that lost it's load all over the ground, would that be a fall spawning domestic?????

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

27 Replies Related Threads

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/19 18:44:55 (permalink)
    According to DEC, that is what the fall spawners are, domestic stocked from the Randolph Hatchery in Cattaraugus County.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/lorpt13part1.pdf

It is in the first chapter after the executive summary.  RA: (Randolph) a fall spawning strain  of domestic Rainbow trout maintained at the NYSDEC Randolph Hatchery.

In the chart later in the report, they indicate 75,850 total for the Lake, and although the closest lake stocking point is Sodus with 20,000 stocked, they range far and wide.
    Stocky fish for its length, with a lot of red in the sides and gill plate?

Have you tried chemical hand warmers or electric socks for your hands and feet?

L13
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/19 19:20:35 (permalink)
    I have tried the hand warmers L. use them a lot or ice fishing. The hands especially the fingers get cold the first few times then it is better. Never tried the electric socks, I need a new pair of korkers and it I really need a size bigger than I have for winter, mine are getting beat.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/19 19:40:31 (permalink)
    I been there and quote, done that..
    Really Clint the only thing that helps besides wool fingerless, which I think are the best, chemical hand warmers in easy access pockets, Ya just gotta move alot to keep circulation and blood flowing... Run on dat... lol
    Standing on spot you will get cold, at least I do.. Heck unless you crank the buddy heater in the shanty, which will be happening sat :), in the woods of course..
    Cast awhile walk down stream as far as you wish to fish then work your way back up..

Good luck

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/19 19:47:02 (permalink)
    I have gotten good at casting with either hand and getting the other down below on my belly to keep it warm.  I have 2 cases of warmers so time to get them out. Other than that I just do what I did today
    (like you said) fish a while and move. Then go home and take a nap.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/19 20:22:14 (permalink)
    must be nice to take a nap :). Rob took a nap on the floor of the shanty sat...
    I just cant stand in a spot much more then 15-20 mins when is cold, I get cold fast..

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/19 22:22:34 (permalink)
    Clint I strongly recommend insulated boot foots for your feet. For youR hands rag wool are hands down the best. But an added bonus are those capilene gloves for about 5.99 at all seasons... They are very thin and tight fitting. They work great as liners under rag wool fingerless. I mostly end up just wearing them on colder days. And I often keep them on when tying set ups... Give them a shot for sure
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/19 22:27:39 (permalink)
    For the rainbows, they ate usually right in the same time frame as the browns with some late runners that you can catch as late as early February after spawned out. The largest rainbow I've ever caught was of this "domestic" type in early december of 99... Chased it all the down to long bridge to find it hooked in the ****... Was able to land it. Was a male well over 20 pounds. Revived it and said good bye... If my buddy had come down with me I would've had no shame snapping a pic of this beast...

Glad you got one clint!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/20 06:41:52 (permalink)
    I work outside every day, so the cold effects me less, it seems. I won't offer any advice, since I've had some pretty nasty fights on here  over this. I'm just brain dead and don't feel the cold. Or maybe its  because I still backpack in winter and have done stupid things like summit Mt. Washington in January.  Glad you at least got out and landed one. I postponed going  til tonight to get some more  work done before I took a day off. We'll see if the snow turns us around, at this point, a few hours not  roof framing and battling  sheathing in the wind will seem like a day at the beach; even driving with squinted eyes through some squalls. Thanks for the lineage info, Lucky. I've caught some pretty ones and wondered about the strain. I have a sinking feeling I'm going to get skunked and  may lose any ambition to keep going out. Pulling some decent browns out of the deeper holes of the Battenkill's trophy zone is a lot closer and  pennies in gas. We'll see. Thanks for the report , Clint.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/20 07:49:37 (permalink)
    I'm starting to think about putting the fly gear away for the winter.   The genny can be very dangerous in the cold.  I never thought about this when I started down there in my early 30's but 30 years later, I've got a lot more scars and aches from run-ins with the rocks, and the last thing I want to have to do is walk up the 1/2 mile long hill after a dunking in subfreezing temperatures.  With these "it could dump three feet anywhere" forecasts and weather the SR is out, I spent well over an hour between Palermo and Hannibal once, making a usually 2 hour trip nearly 4.  Lots of things to finish if the snow goes for a couple of days, gutters need cleaning even if all the leaves are not down (and what better way to bring them down than to clean the gutters!)

L13
    post edited by Lucky13 - 2014/11/20 07:50:48
    bigbear2012
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 725
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/20 08:03:29 (permalink)
    for your hands....fingerless wool gloves, but take the chemical toe warmers...the ones with the sticky backs....put them on the inside of your wrist
    it warms the blood that flows to the fingers and helps alot.
    no real good suggestions for the feet

wishin i was fishin
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/20 20:42:34 (permalink)
    Palermo through hannibal definitely gets their own unique dose of the white stuff lucky. It seems many folks are opting out the past two weeks. Very few people fishing. All out fights over warm wear attire??? I think that was more like a misunderstanding... But Cutting and threading black pipe in the wind and snow must have my body numb... Or should I say my mind dumb???
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 07:10:09 (permalink)
    The fish I had on last weekend in the genny was hot, but they did not get airborne, and the same fish three weeks ago would have jumped at least 4 times in the time I had this one on.  Things are definitely into winter mode, lucky for us here in the central north coast, not as winter mode as south Buffalo.

L13
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 08:53:23 (permalink)
    I also work outside all day and nights too . All be it I'm just a lazy heavy equipment operator but I do have to get out and work underground quite often .
    The big difference between work and play is that mostly while working your moving and keeping circulation and blood flowing which will help keep warm (er) .
    Things i do include sitting in a tree stand or standing on the ice all day, I get cold. Mostly my hands and feet. Standing on the banks of a 33 deg river while only casting repeatedly will make me feel cold much faster then casting for 15 mins then walking a bit to keep circulation going again.
    I have had bootfoot neo waders , while they are not the most elegant or comfortable waders , they do provide the best warmth, esp when you put some chemical heat packs in the feet. I think it's because there is more air space to allow better circulation . That's just me and my experience .
    I don't however own them any longer and instead have stocking foot breathables , I get cold and need to take warm up breaks often, its the only solution I have found.

A nice warm hat, some good wool gloves and a wind proof outter shell jacket are some of the things that have made my torso up at least feel comfortable .
    Good luck with the tie and stay warm out there

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 09:20:41 (permalink)

Hey Tuna--I always get cold on Deer Stand-period-my cheap ways have never really allowed me to go out and get real warm stuff  lol.
    This season I said to  myself --ENOUGH
     Went out and got some boots with 2,000 of warm stuff instead of my old 400ds. Even got a rabbit fur hat with the ear thingies that can be turned down ( probably get shot in the head) and some nice warm gloves- even bought pocket warmers.
    Opener Wed was 16 degrees where I went here in Ct with a slight wind- wind chill likely around 10 Deg.
    No Bambi but I was WARM--welllll -at least comphy.
    Yesterday was in the 40s and I was taking stuff off .
    Finally realized too much time has passed  to simply go  like in days of old and simply tough it out.

post edited by r3g3 - 2014/11/21 09:24:12
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 09:50:23 (permalink)
    Hear that rg, my stand boots are 2,000 gm and my walking boots are 800gm. . A gamete of bibs & jackets. Last sat it was also in the teens with a few inches of snow. I always pack the heavy cloths in and put on when I get to stand.
    Well after about 2 hrs, my feet still got cold. The heat packs in the boots sure did make it nice .

Now I'm getteing older and shamefully lazy. Heading out this weekend and camping in a brand new custom cargo trailer with heat. Bringing the atv for easy access to the far spots and a propane heater for the shanty which is set up in the woods. Heck I may even take a nap or two while out there.
    Next year on the list will be a lazyboy :)

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 09:59:54 (permalink)
    Have one of those little pop-up camo tents that ya can backpack and just kinda throw and it pops itself up. A friend  gaive it to me.
    Ya can sit in there with a nice fold up chair  and be outa the wind and rain.
    Never used it cept for Turkey.
    When anchored to a tree it can be left up all season.
    Didnt anchor it one time in Turkey season and eventually came across it a week later a whole field over cause of wind.
    Went out one Am and only the chair was still there lol.- Thought I was robbed for a week.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/11/21 10:01:37
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 10:08:27 (permalink)
    Yea we got a few of those little pop ups but they are real cheaply made. Any snow and the roof will collapse .
    I set one of my heavy duty ice shanty s with removable windows up during bow season and take it down on my last hunt. It stays toasty for the most part but a little heat in there and you'll be down to just a long sleeve shirt . :) a lazyboy would be sweet .. Lol
    As with the shanty & pop ups we also have 9 established tree stands . Only 5 of us hunt the property at any one given time and there are Hundreds of acres, 874 to be exact with thousand surrounding , no it's not state land :)

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 13:13:33 (permalink)
    Used to have a lot of PVT land just to myself- the biggest was 850 and right out my backdoor- mostly all changed hands into  NO props or are houses and office parks now. Took far more than my share of Bucks over time. Used to scout year round and find them.
     One of the best was only 15 ac between a large watershed and a huge farm-Both No hunting and deer passed trough that little  strip between all day- that was for bow only.
    Now have to share 60 ac with  another guy- we hunt opposite sides and don't bother each other but it limits how ya hunt-haven't seen a tail yet.
    Am gonna  join Custers Army this week and try a State land for a bit.
    Think its gonna end up like fishing the SR though -would rather see very little game off by myself  than join a crowd.
    Still unseasonably cold here.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/11/21 13:17:52
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 18:06:27 (permalink)
    Well, I fished without gloves today, as it wasn't very cold. Pretty nice day. I went 3 for 6 all fair hooked and came home with more flies than I brought thanks to a snag with 4 flies in it.  Fished  sz. 4 stones with 1 #7. Never snagged, but got the fish to take.  Next trip will be in mid week a few weeks from now. Wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and good hunting.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 18:39:19 (permalink)
    thats awesome Charlie !! It was blustery windy here today and i had the heat on in dozer.. It's a blast or nothing so it sure wimps me out..

I can just picture you pointing down stream with your reel singing, Nancy ready with net :) Congrats man !!

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 19:08:26 (permalink)
    Thanks, bro. Could have used your net skills (and a buddy to fish with) today- lost a monster that I couldn't get to go in the diversion above the island, it continued down the heavy water and got me. I'll always remember the one you short stopped for me. Not many pics today, Nanc was not feeling too good and was napping on the snow banks. A couple were still fairly bright with the red blush. Fought hard.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 20:02:12 (permalink)
    Very nice Charlie. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/21 21:04:02 (permalink)
    Glad to hear you got fish, and missed the storm.

L13
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/22 02:25:43 (permalink)
    Although the coldest day of the week, with far less wind and the most sunshine in two weeks it wasn't a bad day at all... And it looks like your planning paid off right. Nice job!
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/22 09:02:05 (permalink)
    Looks like you nailed it.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/22 09:36:04 (permalink)
    A balmy 12 deg in woods here this morning .
    Hope I make it too

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    Re: Bad toe snd cold hands 2014/11/22 10:02:30 (permalink)
    Nice tuna! We hit 20...up to 29 now...going up to 41... The warmer lake is still in our favor around here for some pleasant days... Other than high potential for lake effect!
    Jump to: