What is he using?

Author
Hammer Handle
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 73
  • Reward points: 0
2014/11/04 10:37:53 (permalink)

What is he using?

Fished lower Elk this week-end.  Did well for us.  Caught and released 18 Steelhead.  There was a guy on the north shore catching one Steelhead after another using a noodle rod, bobber and maybe some kind of white fly.  He was constantly jigging the bobber. What technique was he using?  He was out fishing every one.

6 Replies Related Threads

johnthefisherman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    Re: What is he using? 2014/11/04 11:37:15 (permalink)
    Probably a mini foo jig or something like that.

I sorta mimic somethin like this on my fly rod. In spite of the fact that I done have come up with some pretty crazy complex creations for steelhead, probably my most effective fly over the past few years is nothing more than medium bead chain eyes, a pearl sparkle braid body, pearl flash, and white marabou, has a nice lively action under water, often jis like to hop and sweep it and let it fall in front of a pod, been deadly on fresh fish this year. 

Pro Staff:
    Liquid Mayhem: www.liquidmayhem.com
    Lunker City: www.lunkercity.com
    Titan Tungsten: www.titan-tungsten.com
    Trophy Technology: www.trophytechnology.com 

My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing 

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    Re: What is he using? 2014/11/04 11:37:27 (permalink)
    Didya ask him? That would be your best bet since none of us were there!

I've used that "technique" before, I call it the "shake it till they hit it" method.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    DRod
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: What is he using? 2014/11/04 12:53:02 (permalink)
    Prob just a little different jigging technique.  

I'm not too good at jigging for steelhead, but I find that using a bobber - or float or strike indicator if you prefer - helps me control the depth of the jig a little easier and helps control your downstream drift to get your jig in line with the fish.  Can be a good technique to use on schooled up fish in deeper water that aren't real interested in hitting more traditional drifted baits.   When the jig is suspended just off the bottom or up in the water column, just a little twitch of the rod tip gives it enough action to trigger a reaction strike.  
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    Re: What is he using? 2014/11/06 10:43:05 (permalink)
    I agree, marabou jig or white wolley bugger most likely.

xXBeastFeesherManXx
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 86
    Re: What is he using? 2014/11/07 13:43:02 (permalink)
    An Asian Fella down at Walnut is constantly hooking up jigging an artificial on a jig head on a long****fly rod. No body else would be getting hits and he comes down and shows everyone up. 
    mariosteam0506
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: What is he using? 2014/11/13 11:34:30 (permalink)
    I have seen that guy a bunch of times over the years, and I only make a few trips up a year. He uses crappie artificial bubble bellies and just jigs it through the pods of fish. Its a good tactic to use but it would really is only effective on walnut bc of the gin clear water and being able to sight fish. The fish will move across the hole for a bait like that since it is much easier for them to see on the nut. As for the bait on elk a good white with tinsel streemer is always effective if given the right situation.

The fishing and hunting is pretty good not so bad!!!
    Jump to: