Rut reports

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Author
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Rut reports 2014/10/30 19:28:51 (permalink)
Went out at 3 at 4:15 a 3 pt strolled by nose to the ground cruising-only deer I saw today.
Had perfect wind and weather conditions-oh well....WCW
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: Rut reports 2014/10/30 20:23:55 (permalink)
I SEEN ONE..... I DID..... I SEEN ONE!

A whitetail...... and that's all I seen..... the tail. Walkin' back to the house thru the hay field and the rascal was just on the other side of the windrow in the bean field. Seen me before I eyeballed it..... so it did.

Did do some still hunting today aaaaand I saw a bunch of scrapes. Both along the field edges and in the woods. Some of the branches had two scrapes; one much smaller than the other and the scrapes appeared to have been recently created. None had any droppings and the 'licking branches' looked really green where they were chewed off. I counted six scrapes in a 100 yd. stretch.

Leaves were wet and quiet from the rain this morning but the dead branches littering the ground from the recent winds made moving, noisier than a box of Rice Krispies. Every step was ' snap, crackle or, pop'.

Can't wait to do again tomorrow and with a cold front bringing the possibility of snow tomorrow night thru Saturday.....OH BOY!!!!

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

mopars0
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 742
Re: Rut reports 2014/10/30 20:31:53 (permalink)
Hit the stand at 3:30 , little drizzle for about 1hr saw 2 doe & some tails great evening to be out though..

STEVE.
Eman89so
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1806
Re: Rut reports 2014/10/30 21:10:09 (permalink)
Brother hit one running up his scent trail. He's looking for it in morning
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re: Rut reports 2014/10/30 21:32:24 (permalink)
Post some pics tomorrow after the recovery!

This morning was by far the best sit of the year for me (which really isn't saying much).  My buddy and I saw quite a few bucks moving from first light until almost 11am.  We got to see lots of chasing and heard lots of grunting and even a few snort wheezes.  All youngins but after the way my season has gone so far it was nice to finally see some good activity.   
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/10/31 11:05:52 (permalink)
Watch out for the ghouls and gobblins.........

I'm dressing up like a PA archery hunter and going trick or treating in the woods.......... mah ha ha haaaa!!!

...................Now that's enough to give anyone nightmares..........
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/10/31 11:07:08

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/10/31 20:28:34 (permalink)
BOO...

Hunted same spot today took 2 -1 hour breaks sat the rest of the time.
Saw a spike cruise thru 1st hour.
9:30 a buck chased a doe around thru brush just out of sight he was grunting a thrashing thru brush making all kinds of noise.
Last hour I had big group of deer come out pushed by 2 bucks a different spike and a 2.5 yr old buck could not count points not even sure he was legal rack went straight up 15-16 in high.He was all amped up good to see.
So its getting better IMO.
I should work tomorrow but...WCW 
post edited by workcanwait.... - 2014/10/31 20:29:45
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/10/31 20:46:03 (permalink)
What a day; nothing for the freezer yet but, I have both rubs and scrapes where they weren't last night. Hit the woods to do some still hunting just before noon. Went snooping around the bean fields looking to see what I could see and found no sign except, hoof prints in the mud. Started into the woods sneaking from tree to tree watching for any sign of the rut. I was moving East with the wind out of the South. Stopped behind a cluster of oak trees when to my suprise there appeared the head of whitetail deer. About 50 yards to my North East was a patch of Greenbriar and the deer was feeding on the tops. Wasn't long another set of ears came thru the thickets into the briars and than the horns appeared. Looked like it could be a shooter but, just couldn't tell. By this time it's raining; not hard but, enough to make some noise so, I moved a few feet closer and set-up for a possible shot should they come my way. WOW..... out from the thicket came a buck that made my heart pound. He wasn't pushing and he made no attempt to chase or challenge the other buck. He just kept his distance and faded in and out of the thicket and underbrush. It quit raining and the wind stopped blowing and I stood there motionless for what seemed like 'forever'. Without a warning, heads popped up out of the Greenbriar like parascopes and, three sets of eyes were starring in my direction. I'm sure they can't see me so my first thought was of, another hunter approaching or, another deer coming from behind me. Slowly turning my head around as if I were posessed, I saw nothing until, I look at the wind feather on my bow. End of story; the wind dropped to a very light breeze and is now coming out of the West. The deer didn't spook but, once thier heads quit bobbing and swaying trying to see, they moved away from me. The big guy, still keeping his distance, just followed along. I moved into the area hoping the deer might circle back when I jumped one laying down. By the time I regained my composure the deer was gone, leaving me guessing what it was. Leaned againt a cluster of maples for about half an hour when a young deer came walking out of the same thickets and presented a shot about 15 yds out. Man there is just nothing like being eye-to-eye when archery hunting. Not sure if it was a doe or buck but, maybe next year it will be my wallhanger. Unnocked the arrow and returned it to my quiver.

Headed home as it was 3:15 p, hungry and, time for my baloney and cheese sandwiches. There's just something about them sandwhiches when I'm hunting or fishing. Pickles too!! :-P
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/10/31 22:25:30

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/10/31 22:02:58 (permalink)
What a day (part 2) finished my sandwiches; (no pickles, fresh out) headed to the back field to set-up along the windrow with the bean field, where I spooked the deer last night.

Standing among some Cherry Trees with a light wind now out of the South I see a rather large rub that was not there last night. Again, what seemed like forevever, I watched the wood line along the bean field which is south of me. Several seconds passed before it dawned on me the noise coming from behind was a bleat. DANG winded, I figured, as I started the ' I'm posessed' head turn. To my supprise nothing but, there is a knoll running the length of the hay field preventing me from seeing the otherside. Slowly turning to set-up for a possible shot; two yearlings came flying over the creast of the hill. It was comical to watch these two youngsters flying around; no doubt in a strange area. Out of the hay field right into the woods and underbrush boardering the bean field. Running in circles, tails flying and, jumping like they just stepped on a bees nest. Just as fast as they went into the woods; they were back in the hay field still circling and jumping. Thinking they surely were with other doe I began scanning the hay field when out of the woods popped a shooter. Too far for my compound but, there was hope, those yearlings were still bolting around to my left and he was to my right. No luck; the two ran past me right at him, he stomped his feet and they disappeared. I stood and watched the buck make a scrape, chew the licking branch and, squirt the dirt before he returned to the woods. But wait; maybe that's his rub at the corner of the bean field, there's still hope for back strap for dinner. Then again maybe it belongs to the big 'sob' that just popped out of the thickets a hundred yards out in the bean field, following his nose Westward.

Jeez....... I can't wait for morning!!!!
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/10/31 22:15:06

DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/01 09:15:39 (permalink)
Not an archery hunter, so all this rut stuff is pretty foreign to me, but I find the discussion interesting.

Was checking out the progress on the house last evening and ended up sitting on the lanai having a coco. At about 6, two deer come out of the woods at the corner of our property and the neighbor's. They fed out into the neighbor's field. A short time later another deer appeared in the same spot. Lighting wasn't too good because it was getting late and it was overcast, so I could not tell antlers at the 250 yards, but the body shape was square like a buck.

That deer followed the others as they fed across the field, but never really closed the gap or showed any signs if being interested.

About 10 minutes later, three deer approached us from behind. They stopped about 40 yards away to give us a look before disappearing into some standing corn. It was a doe and two young of the year. It wasn't long until here comes a decent buck, too dark to see points, but as wide as his body and the rack didn't start to curve until well above the ears. He was prancing all stiff legged in the front and putting on a show for the ladies.

Some more movement caught our eyes and a ring neck rooster strutted out if the corn and into our soon to be yard. I guess he didn't like sharing the corn with the deer. He let out a cackle and all the deer bolted into our yard. Still couldn't get a point count and as it just got darker, the deer worked their way across the yard and into the woods. The buck was still showing off, but not being aggressive toward the does.

As it got pretty dark and we were getting ready to leave, we could hear voices. A light appeared in the neighbor's field and worked its way across and entered our property where the first deer had appeared. We could then see a second light coming down from the treehouse that was on the property when we bought it -- a former lot owner/contractor built it for date nights with his girlfriend. Clearly someone was using it as a deer stand.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/01 10:29:35 (permalink)
For the 3rd year in a row, the rut has been cancelled...WF....climate change was the reason
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/01 10:47:51 (permalink)
Thank Al Gore....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/01 11:06:14 (permalink)
bingsbaits
Thank Al Gore.... 

Noooooooo!! Not........... 'Climate Change'......... "Say it ain't so Joe"!!!!!

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/01 11:54:55 (permalink)
Dardys thanks for sharing the story..........  When are we going to see pictures of the new place; you know it don't count if there's no pictures. Read your story about the trespassers the other day and I know the feeling.  I had to post a two acre beaver pond over my dog getting caught in a trap.  My tree stand is on a corner of that beaver pond; looking over a 12 acre field (not posted) bordered by trees and undergrowth.  While swinging and swaying in the wind, sitting in my stand, this past week I watched as Amish dudes made their way through the thickets within the posted areas of the beaver pond.  They must of seen me climbing down from my stand because they did some high stepping thru the brush, back in the direction they came.  Dose signs.....  dey moost be for......... der.... ud-er fella........  Yah??
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/11/01 20:02:02

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/01 20:39:42 (permalink)
Geeeeeez....... what a day!! Wind out of the NNW 14 mph gusting to 28 mph. Air temp... lower forties with wind chills around the mid twenties. Thought I was going to visit the bottom rung of my ladder stand when some of the higher gust hit. Couldn't wait to get to the bottom rung after sun set; down right cold so, it was.

Two young ones outta the woods across the field to the next field this morning. Same two back across the field and into the woods this evening. One fox squirrel, one wood chuck and a ditch chicken (aka Ringkneck).

Weather next week looks better after Monday.

Remember to support science; turn in your report cards.

BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/01 21:58:48 (permalink)
Thanks for the reports guyz. Can't wait till Monday. FACEBOOK is lighting up with pictures of nice bucks being taken. Everyone got theirs by bleating and grunting them in. Wife said see saw a +12 point 1/4 mile from the house, just may have to explore that area. 
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/01 22:07:33 (permalink)
Good luck Wags and don't forget the pictures. I got a BIG box of micro -wave popcorn; just waitin' for pictures. :-P

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/01 22:41:25 (permalink)
Yeah it's on here...
Slept in worked 5 hours then went out 3 pm it was windy with rain showers all day snow showers started around 3 and tapered off last hour.
I saw a 3 pt cruising made a scrape at 4:15 then a button buck munched around for a while at 5 then at 6:15 I hear a deer stomping through mud and saw a shooter he worked around me either in thick brush or 40 to 50 yds out he stopped in a shooting lane for 5-10 seconds slightly quarting away at 45 yds I got him in the scope and did NOT take a shot.
He roamed around went out into food plot 150 yds away strutting back and forth sniffing I grunted as loud as possible he came back thrashed some brush around but again stayed in thick brush no shot.
Close -exciting-the type of experience I hunt for-but no shot.
My buck fever is BAD now working tomorrow hunting Monday most of day see how the rest unfolds...WCW

BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 08:46:43 (permalink)
Good luck W. Hope you can post some pictures soon. My popcorn is getting stale and it ain't been popped yet!

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 09:06:00 (permalink)
BTDT-Keep that popcorn close pics are coming next week might not be from me but someone here will get it done the bucks are moving.
Now is the time folks get out there and get it done GOOD LUCK!...WCW
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4009
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 11:53:01 (permalink)
Only takes a min. this time of year.  It was pretty windy in northern 2B last night and I was a little late after watching my sons flag football game.  Got settled in the stand about 4:45pm and saw a 4 pt @ 5:15pm and arrowed an avg. 10 point at 6:15pm.  Last three yrs have been frustrating for me archery hunting with not a lot of decent racked bucks sighted.  
I'll post up pics and a little more info. on a fresh thread.  Not the biggest and if it were an 8 pt. I would have passed but hard to pass on a 10 pt. that was at the base of your tree and you have to wait on it to get to 5 yds so you can shoot.  
No matter the weather/wind, your luck can change in an instant this time of year.

Dardy's, good way to make the rut not so foreign to you is to pick up a nice used bow and get out there and join us.  
Or, at your age, maybe a crossbow would be more to your liking... hehe...just kidding.
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 13:32:47 (permalink)
I have way too much invested in bird dogs to take up archery hunting.

Just bought a female pup to breed with my male, so I see Pointers for a long time to come.

Besides, the first thing a Native American did if he were lucky enough to kill a settler was to take his gun.

I can learn all I need from my new back porch.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 14:21:21 (permalink)
Just got back from camp in marienville. Saw two shooters yesterday one at nine and one chasing at five pm. No shooting. Seen some giant bucks spotting. My brother got a seven point which was chasing
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 20:27:03 (permalink)
Full moon a rising.............  On the sixth, that is...........  I don't know if a full moon has any true affect on the rut but, the full moon of Nov. is called 'The Beaver Moon'........  OK!....  OK it's aka; 'The Frost Moon' too.   From what I'm seeing during the day and the pictures I'm getting at night; we're in pre-rut at this time.  The only thing more exciting for me this time of year (deer hunting) is drawing back my compound and holding the pin in the vital area. (I also pray for a clean shot but, that's just me)

Sittin' in my kitchen looking out the window trying to collect my thoughts as I type on the 'puter' and I see lights across the beaver pond.  I sprang to my feet, dashed to the window, threw up the sash and what to my surprise did I hear but, a combine clearing a corn field.  Boy ole boy guess who will be all tucked in his bed with visions of antlers dancing in his head.  Not me cause, I'll be too excited thinking about getting in my stand hoping to get a shot at a disoriented deer.  Heck yeah!......  even at my age it's still, that exciting.

Dardy's  I hear you on those pointers......  I have a Weimaraner and a German Short-hair but; I don't breed, their just my buddies.  Wouldn't do the weimy thing again........  NO WAY!

Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 20:54:32 (permalink)
I spent nearly all day perched in a tree from Thurs-Fri and saw a lot of bucks including a couple good ones.  They were out chasing nearly all day on Friday and Saturday.  It's safe to say that we're at or close to the peak of the chase phase in my area.  I'll be out again tomorrow and it looks like conditions will be pretty good so I'm hoping I can make something happen. 
Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 22:22:15 (permalink)
Im going out tomorrow as well.. in the morning for two hours before work
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 22:45:25 (permalink)
Going out tomorrow hope something happens but will enjoy getting out and rolling the dice either way.
Some corn was harvested here today also 1 week late but it should help.
WCW
BIG WAGS
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 334
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 22:47:58 (permalink)
Hitting the tree stand in the morning too. broke out the cold weather camo.
This guy was here on Saturday
276.JPG
YES The date is wrong---- camera died and forgot to reprogram

Getting frustrated---SEVERAL buddies have tagged some nice bucks,,,,,,

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 23:22:10 (permalink)
Hang in there Wags; it ain't over til it's over and then, we'll get em next year (lol)

Like Eyesandgills says "it only takes a minute, this time of year".

Dang hope he is right; gonna be cold in the morning. I got frost on the ground already. (lol)

Good luck dude, hope we see your pics. tomorrow.

Eman89so
Pro Angler
Re: Rut reports 2014/11/02 23:33:44 (permalink)
25° right now in irwin I can't wait til 5
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 7
Jump to: