AnsweredNotice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes

Author
Rnglgdj
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 115
  • Reward points: 0
2013/11/19 21:25:54 (permalink)

Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes

NOTICE
WE AT THE TWIN LAKES FISHING ASSOCIATION ARE IN DESPERATE NEED OF MORE PARTICIPATION  FROM OUR MEMBERS IN THE FORM OF BEING AN OFFICER, GETTING DONATIONS FOR TAGS, STOCKING OF FISH AND IN GENERAL COMING TO OUR MEETINGS TO HELP IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE.
OUR MEETINGS ARE THE 3RD SUNDAY OF EVERY MONTH AT 4:15 P.M. AT THE BOATHOUSE. BELOW IS A SCHEDULE OF 2014 MEETINGS.
AFTER 26 YEARS, 2014 COULD POSSIBLY BE OUR LAST YEAR OF OPERATION, UNLESS WE HAVE MORE VOLUNTEERS TO KEEP THE TWIN LAKES FISHING ASSOCIATION OPEN!   

THANK YOU,
OFFICERS & TRUSTEES OF THE
 TWIN LAKES FISHING ASSOCIATION

post edited by Rnglgdj - 2013/11/19 21:30:09
jug
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 187
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/20 00:05:27 (permalink)
I'm not a member but I'd be more than willing to join the association and donate physical and financial help if it meant catfish stockings.

I'M ON A MISSION
IM GOING FISHING
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/20 13:54:42 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Rnglgdj 2013/11/20 14:08:26
Rnglgdj
NOTICE
WE AT THE TWIN LAKES FISHING ASSOCIATION ARE IN DESPERATE NEED OF MORE PARTICIPATION  FROM OUR MEMBERS IN THE FORM OF BEING AN OFFICER, GETTING DONATIONS FOR TAGS, STOCKING OF FISH AND IN GENERAL COMING TO OUR MEETINGS TO HELP IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE.
OUR MEETINGS ARE THE 3RD SUNDAY OF EVERY MONTH AT 4:15 P.M. AT THE BOATHOUSE. BELOW IS A SCHEDULE OF 2014 MEETINGS.
AFTER 26 YEARS, 2014 COULD POSSIBLY BE OUR LAST YEAR OF OPERATION, UNLESS WE HAVE MORE VOLUNTEERS TO KEEP THE TWIN LAKES FISHING ASSOCIATION OPEN!   

THANK YOU,
OFFICERS & TRUSTEES OF THE
TWIN LAKES FISHING ASSOCIATION

I know nuttin' about the current TLFA, but something for you guys in leadership to consider:

What's the vision of your organization?  Is it clear and compelling?  Is it sustainable?  From the little I know about the TLFA, it's to stock more trout primarily and hold a few fishing derbies.  Would you gain more interest, from fishermen like jug, by broadening your focus a little bit on different species or overall lake improvement?

Do you current members feel like they have a voice and like their input matters, or is it like many organizations in which a few officers or those in charge tell the members, "This is the way it's always been done."  Not saying that's the case here as I don't know, but if your membership feels like their input doesn't matter, there's little incentive for them to step up and make sacrifices to lead and even less incentive for them to recruit new members. 

I fished Twin Lakes quite a bit back in the 90's.  Grew up in Irwin and went to school at Pitt-Greensburg.  Always enjoyed fishing there and appreciated the trout stocking efforts of the TLFA.  Bet I haven't been there in about 10 years though, so I don't know what fishing pressure and interest is like there anymore.  But maybe the TLFA is an organization whose usefulness has passed.  No shame in hanging things up with dignity either.  You guys have done a lot of fishermen a service over the years through your trout stocking and kids' derbies. 
Rnglgdj
Avid Angler
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/20 14:24:22 (permalink)
Well guys the by-laws were written to propagate trout.  
If enough people would attend the meetings and talk about it the by-laws possibly could be changed.

I know it is football season, but last Sunday there was a meeting held at the boathouse to nominate officers for 2014.   Out of the almost 425 members that belong to the club, 8 people showed up.  These were the officers and trustees.  Now just forcing the same people to keep doing the same jobs year and out gets old.   If there would be 20-25 people show up the work load could be shared and some new ideas entertained.

As the current officers walk around the lake they hear from the other members "When is the club stocking and how many tags".  Well actually the club is the complete membership and not just the 6-8 that show up at the meetings.  The meetings are on the 3rd Sunday of the month at 4:15 at the boathouse.

Hope you all give this some thought and we can get some new blood and ideas.

If not, I suppose 2014 will be the last year as the notice above says.

If 2014 memberships had not started to be sold, 2013 would have been the last year.
The program for 2014 will go on as previous years. The stocking will be done, tags will be added to the 14-18" fish and the derby will be held.

Just give it some thought.

trouthater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 397
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/20 18:55:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rnglgdj 2013/11/20 21:45:07
The By-laws state improve fishing habitat for ALL fish, unfortunately most active members just want to catch more stocked trout in a weedless lake. I tried to get involved with other fish, because there is more to fishing than just catching stockies. They wanted to hear nothing about anything not directly involved with putting more invasive fish in the lakes. If more people interested in helping the other fish in there also Id get involved again. Sad to see the area lose a good organization because of narrow mindedness. JMHO
jug
Avid Angler
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/21 01:36:24 (permalink)
Nice post rsquared.

Like I said, if the club were willing to focus on more species other than trout I'd love to join and help out, but I have no interest in putting any of my valuable time or money towards trout stockings. If the bylaws truly were written to improve trout fishing only then maybe it's time for some of these stubborn leaders to make some amendments so that the club does not have to close. That is if the club truly is in danger of having to closing and this isn't just a bribe for people's money.

I'M ON A MISSION
IM GOING FISHING
olgerman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 159
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/21 08:12:10 (permalink)
I don't have a dog in this fight, but it sure sounds like a little diversity might possibly save this lake. As it now stands, you will be extinct if you do not change.
Pro Angler
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/21 11:10:56 (permalink)
An organization can generally get by with 10% of the members doing 90% of the work, but 2% doing 100% of the work sounds like you're on life support. 

Sounds like you've potentially got 2 guys here that would get involved with a diversified focus.  That would increase your ACTIVE participation by 25%.  IMO, that diversity would probably be more sustainable in the long run.  Get some channel cat stocking going, and you've got something that will sustain itself naturally.  Focus on some habitat improvement for crappies and panfish that will sustain itself.  Not saying you have to ditch the trout altogether, but from what I remember of Twin Lakes 20 years ago, there are some great opportunities there to enhance natural reproduction of warm water species that would be more sustainable in the long run than dumping trout in every few months and probably enhance your chances of recruiting and retaining some fresh blood in your group. 

mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/22 01:00:45 (permalink)
rsquared, There is nothing to stop anyone from getting permission from the Cnty. & the PF&BC to start a club or whatever,to raise money & get help to create habitat & buy some other fish to stock with. The state already stocks Channel Cat fingerlings or fry occasionaly & the bass,Crappie, Gills & perch reproduce pretty well as recent surveys show. However on lakes this small you can't have overharvesting & expect the fish to magicaly appear. Whether some people admit it or not, the main focas in this area is TROUT. If you doubt that go to any of the CNTY or State parks on first day of Trout, then go on the first day of Bass & tell me where the intrest is. I have never had anyone whether they were club members or not ask us to stock smaller Trout. The main reason I believe that people join is to raise money to buy bigger trout & to buy prizes for the tagged Trout. As for the people that say their time is too valuable,do you really think that our time is of less value? We are doing something that we believe in ,Are you? btw Twin Lakes is no Lake Arthur,but I have seen Channel Cats up to 34" caught there,also some nice Bullheads & probably some of the biggest Carp in the area. Also Crappie up to 17" are caught occasionaly. We are still catching nice Crappie although the gills seem to have gone deep. And some of us are still having fun with the Trout using jigs. Not too shabby I would say.  sam
Pro Angler
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/22 10:06:51 (permalink)
I know from spending a lot of time on that lake that trout are the main focus.  I had a lot of fun there after the trout crowd gave up in mid-May walking around the lakes in the evening with a spinner bait and catching lots of cookie cutter 12-14" bass with the occasional 18 incher with nobody else around.  You're right on that one. 

I know that the TLFA has had a positive impact on the lakes.  I used to benefit from it and I appreciated it.  Wasn't trying to denigrate your efforts, but was just trying to offer some possible things to think about to sustain the club.  But it sounds from your description that there's probably not much long term benefit in doing that. 

jug
Avid Angler
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/25 16:46:03 (permalink)
Sam, I mean no disrespect towards you. You are one of the most knowledgable and helpful members on this board. No matter the species or location it always seems youre there to help. When i say its not worth my time or money to help stock trout its because i dont fish for trout. Why would i pay to stock a species that i dont even fish for?

Sure, most people around here want to catch trout. But thats because thats all they know. Its the only fish that gets stocked around here in adult form. When other species get stocked as fingerlings, i doubt many of them survive amongst the adult bass already present.

My problem is not with trout fishermen. My problem is with the narrow mindset of trout being the only fish out there. Trout are relatively easy to catch so every Apr you get all these jackoffs who go to walmart, buy a trout stamp, $20 combo, and a couple jars of powerbait and then surround the local lakes and streams shoulder to shoulder til mid may, harvesting tbe hell out of whatever was stocked. Meanwhile these guys dont know the first thing about fishing. I cant help but think if some of these people actually took it upon themselves to learn how to fish and discover other species they probably wouldnt bother with trout again!

If we started catering less to the "powerbait smearers" and more to actual true fishermen, i think the quality and variety of fishing available to us would greatly improve. But i get it. Trout is the money fish. Its not about the fishermen, its not about the quality/overall diversity of the fishing, its about the money. Opening up to stocking different species could keep the club alive and bring more money down the road but i get it, its about money now.

If the club truly is in danger of having to close, then maybe its time for the people in charge to open up to new ideas before its too late.

I'M ON A MISSION
IM GOING FISHING
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/25 20:40:18 (permalink)
Jug, Thanks for the kind words,I do try to help. However I don't think that you realize you answered your own question. One reason that more adult fish aren't stocked in other specie is that the cost to return ratio is too high especialy with the harvest limits as high as they are.From what I have read it is much easier & cheaper to raise Trout than most other species. Stocking other specie as fingerlings Or fry is a low return activity. As far as different types of fishing goes,everyone has their own favorites & does not deserve your scorn if it doesn't match your favs. I have been fortunate enough to have tried most methods here & in other states & provinces. My favorite is using jigs & I would go crazy if all that I did was to sit & wait for a bite,be it Cats,carp or Trout. But if that is your idea of fun,then go to it! People must start to realize that we must embrace C&R more than we do in m.o. Also maybe you missed my point, I can agree with you & others about not wanting to work & or pay for what you don't use,but as I said before there is nothing to stop you from raising money & forming a club or organization to stock other species or to improve habitat on your own. There is or was an org. around here called ( friends of Keystone State Park) I believe,that they got together with the park to clean up the lake & build habitat for the benefit of all,that option is available anywhere if people truly want to help.   sam
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9685
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/26 10:15:50 (permalink)
I'm far from a biologist, or even playing one on TV.  But I do read a good bit of biological reports that I feel will help in my quest to be a better angler.  In doing so, I have learned that trout and other species that have either no or little reproduction are prefered for stocking, for help for human control of sizes, population, other species, ect.  Simple logic would suggest to stock something like largemouth, panfish, ect. that will reproduce on their own, and cheaper in the long run.  This doesn't take into account, over production, leading to stunted growth or any time a new species is added or "helped", it completely changes the biodiverse flow of the underwater hierarchy.  The biologists can't control the environment, so some years there may be perfect breeding conditions, others there are floods, droughts, or extended ice that can lead to extremely limited reproduction.  This leads to either not enough fish to keep angling viable or too small of fish to do the same.  Simply adding a species that can reproduce, isn't always going to give a desired result.  I would expect that the club works with the PFBC on their stockings to make sure there is some sort of balance in order.  Trust me, I am not a trout lover by any means, but there is much more to having them around than to keep the trout worshipers happy.  They are a good, relatively inexpensive fish to stock for put and take purposes.  The PFBC also has it marketed in a way that they make too much money from trout to change anything, until they aren't making that money...  I would much rather fish for crappie, perch or walleye when looking to "take" myself, but that is mostly taking from a naturally reproducing stock.  Although walleye on the most part are stocked in most PA inland waters, and many are a true put and take as well.  The real dilema that I see in SW PA, are the limited amounts of reservoirs.  Many that are open to fishing, end up with trout as their put and take focus.  The others are on the most part, are natural reproduction with varied stocking determined by biological studies, to keep the desired balance.  IMO, it would be nice to have a put and take walleye fishery, like Pymatuning is, south of I-80.  They wouldn't be able to stock as many keeper sized fish per reservoir (15" vs. 7"), so catch rates would be much lower, and wouldn't get the turn out that opening day of trout would get.  I don't see another species that could be stocked like trout, to give the return and not have to worry about natural reproduction overtaking a body of water. 

This does not include some streams or even some reservoirs with feeder streams with perfect breeding conditions.  I don't think there are many in SWPA that can produce enough natural reproduction of trout to overrun.  There might be some, but not enough to take over.  Much like walleye in Pymie or even circusheads in the Erie ditches.
Rnglgdj
Avid Angler
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/11/27 10:20:19 (permalink)
Thanks for the replies guys.

As you can see there have been almost 600 views and 12 replies to this notice.  Also there are 427 members in the club this year. 6-8 people show up for the meetings. The revenue for the $6000 or so for the stocked trout comes from membership fees, some small donations in a box in the boathouse, a couple 50/50 drawing and a small ticket.  The tags are the result of donations from the community that are obtained by 3-4 people.  The money for the door prizes on derby day are purchased from the revenue for the club.

The guys in charge, as it was stated, are getting old and the go power is not there.

It was tough to post the notice but necessary.

The next meeting is December 15 and hopefully there will be lots of new faces there to take up the cause.

BYW I have still been fishing and catching the trout and have not seen very many other fish being caught. I know some will say wait til the water freezes and people can go after the limited number or crappie and perch.  As was stated before there cannot be too many other species taken out the lake other than carp which not too many fish for and keep.
A couple years go I did really well catching perch during August and early September in a paddle boat and did not keep any.  I thought that the next year would be better.  Nope!!!! Did not happen.  Also why are there not many more 14" bass????  Seems to be lots of 9-10" ones.

Come to the Dec 15 meeting.
Rnglgdj
Avid Angler
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2013/12/05 19:56:40 (permalink)
No more comments??  

Meeting  Dec 15  4:15 at boathouse.

Officer voting.  And discussion about the future.
drowntrout
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2014/10/28 21:00:27 (permalink)
I am really interested in helping out with the lake if u can message me back
bigesox11
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: Notice to all interested fishermen who enjoy the TLFA stocking Twin Lakes 2014/10/30 09:58:41 (permalink)
Good luck with your efforts.  I've had many great times fishing at Twin Lakes as a teenager, although it was always and only for trout.  My comments below do not apply entirely to Twin Lakes, but I felt the need to respond to Mr. Crappie and Jug's posts. 

Stocked trout are extremely easy to catch - PERIOD.  I too would rather see better and bigger populations of walleye, bass, catfish, panfish and even striper at the same lakes, reservoirs, etc. that receive a stocking or even multiple storckings throughout the year.  I don't have any data to prove this, but I would also think that most people keep the trout that they catch so there is a one time "catch" and one time "fun factor" if you will.  Even though some fisherman will catch and keep walleye, panfish, etc., I believe that many would be returned and at least have the chance to get bigger and reproduce.  This would allow for multiple people to experience "the catch" or "fun factor".  These populations of fish would also at least have a chance of reproducing unlike the stocked trout.  I have heard many times that the population of walleye, panfish or even bass, is struggling here or the size isn't what it once used to be at this lake or that lake.  And as far as the fear of stunted growth or over production, slot limits could be put into place to help control this.  I too believe that too much money, time and effort is spent on stocking trout.  There is no doubt in my mind that kids, families, groups of fishermen or whomever would be able to find just as much enjoyment catching other species of fish if there were better numbers at some lakes or better size catch were found at other lakes.  There most definitely needs to be more money, time and attention spent on these other species of fish.
Jump to: