Author
capeangler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 141
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/18 17:26:54 (permalink)

switch line question Rio switch chucker

Hey guys,
question  if anyone has tried the rio switch chucker line.   wondering if  it acts like a skagit head  and needs a tip  or if acts more like a scandi head and can be used  with just a polyleader?  If this is a stupid question i apologize. Just a little confused on this line . 

thanks cape 

7 Replies Related Threads

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: switch line question Rio switch chucker 2014/10/18 17:44:03 (permalink)
    Sorry no help
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: switch line question Rio switch chucker 2014/10/18 18:16:38 (permalink)
    I have a Rio Switch Line that is much lighter up front. The chucker would be  better suited to throwing sink tips than the plain switch. but a little less useful for stealth stuff with long leaders and smaller streamers and  nymphs like I fish. I occasionally think line slap is an issue with the smartened up fish in winter, not so with aggressive fish on the swing. I use a much heavier headed line to chuck big stuff, just not the chucker. It's similar in taper, though. It's designed to be fished in a number of ways. Adding a tip isn't a neccessity.
    post edited by fichy - 2014/10/18 18:27:48
    capeangler
    Avid Angler
    Re: switch line question Rio switch chucker 2014/10/18 18:38:58 (permalink)
    fichy
    I have a Rio Switch Line that is much lighter up front. The chucker would be  better suited to throwing sink tips than the plain switch. but a little less useful for stealth stuff with long leaders and smaller streamers and  nymphs like I fish. I occasionally think line slap is an issue with the smartened up fish in winter, not so with aggressive fish on the swing. I use a much heavier headed line to chuck big stuff, just not the chucker. It's similar in taper, though. It's designed to be fished in a number of ways. Adding a tip isn't a neccessity.

Thanks that is what i was thinking. I currently use the the switch line but was thinking of trying the chucker as to throw  heavy  sink tips in the winter months ,  also with the shorter head  in more confined spaces could be a benefit .  Good to hear that you are able to go with out a tip when the situation calls.  I am thinking it is going to require the line to be back in  as to get some of the head back into the rod . With 55 foot head on the switch line  do not need to bring as much line back in between casts 
     I only catch stupid fish.  So the line slap , is not that big of an issue for me. Lol  
    once again thanks for answering my question. I am going to give it a try.   
    capeangler
    Avid Angler
    Re: switch line question Rio switch chucker 2014/10/25 10:04:36 (permalink)
    Quick update on the chucker line . No surprises...it does what it was designed to do . It is a very powerful line that does turn over heavy  tips and flies with ease . On my 11 foot switch I found it most effective with the entire head outside the rod .  It does great when when working in really tight quarters. I think this is a great line for learning the various spey casts , with the heavier and shorter head it is much easier to postion anchors and loads the rod quicker.  Overall good choice , still think the switch line will be my daily line , but will certainly enjoy the chucker , especially when the wind picks up , it does power through wind 
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: switch line question Rio switch chucker 2014/10/25 12:33:00 (permalink)
    Have a certain amount of 'issues' when working close in with overhanging branches with the 11 ft switch. Can side cast a roll somewhat Ok but often simply go back to the 9.5 ft rod when I know I am gonna fish that way.
     Saw a conga line past trip with everyone out to their ****es slashing away and pushing movers up against the far bank.
    Hadda stand under trees by the near bank to fish 'behind' the line -they were too busy sighting to realize Steel were moving along nicely behind them- lol.
    Had a bit of action the first day while walking through that area and took the shorter rod day 2 and had better action with more controll-both days were stopped rather quickly in that spot cause as soon as they saw me having some 'luck' guys moved right in slashing  - and I moved right out and upriver- lol.
    Really love the switch and its my rod of choice most all the time but  it just doesn't seem to be the right tool for close conditions with my likely limited ability..
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/10/25 12:37:37
    capeangler
    Avid Angler
    Re: switch line question Rio switch chucker 2014/10/25 14:15:54 (permalink)
    R3,  yeah I see alot of slashing going on , but most of the time it is not really neccesary  at least with the switch. I see alot of guys use the switch like they have a 16 foot spey rod.  I really like the skagit type casts  and they can be executed pretty quietly if  you so desire.  I fished this past week down in your neck of the woods in Ct.  Some great water down there for the switch. 

Take care 
    cape 
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: switch line question Rio switch chucker 2014/10/25 16:17:50 (permalink)
    The Housatonic is perfect for a switch rod. 
    Jump to: