Bait for walleye instead of trolling?

Author
ZelieSam
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 727
  • Reward points: 0
2014/10/08 16:35:34 (permalink)

Bait for walleye instead of trolling?

Any of you guys using bait up there for eyes instead of all that trolling?  Might end up with an Erie worthy boat next season but I really don't care for all that plug chugging nonsense.  I assume that crawler harness / drift fishing would still work, even if it isn't very efficient.  

And just to flip that around... anyone use gulp instead of the emerald shiners?  Assuming that the shiners are pretty easy to find up there, but the catching we did on our charter seemed like those 1" gulp minnows would probably have worked just as well.  This one is a curiosity, we'll likely try it for ourselves if we end up fishing up there.

Thanks!

7 Replies Related Threads

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    Re: Bait for walleye instead of trolling? 2014/10/08 22:16:29 (permalink)
    I have never tried the gulp minnows on Erie out of Pa. but several years ago we were doing great out of Conneaut using crawler harness trolling.  We ran out of crawlers and my buddy opened a container of the 3 or 4 inch gulp alive minnows and it was not stop till we limited out.

To be fair they were hitting really great before we ran out of crawlers and we only needed about 4 fish to fill a 4 man limit.  I really didn't see a slowdown in the bite. 

Maybe on a slow bite day it wouldn't work.  I don't think we've used them since but I'd say it can't hurt to have a container along for emergencys
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    Re: Bait for walleye instead of trolling? 2014/10/09 09:03:26 (permalink)
    Don't waste your time with gulp, real worms will outfish it every day.

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Bait for walleye instead of trolling? 2014/10/09 16:19:24 (permalink)
    aren't worms yucky?
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Bait for walleye instead of trolling? 2014/10/10 06:06:06 (permalink)
    zippyduck, trolling is not that difficult.  it's definitely some work, but once you've got the 3 main tools(down riggers, planer boards, and dipsies) figured out you get into a rhythm and things should go smoothly.  personally, switching to lead core was the best thing i could have done; takes alot of the guess work out.  i'm mainly using 2 or 3 types of plugs and printed out the dive curves for the weights of each type; especially handy when you're flat lining.  did the same thing with dipsey diver dive curves.  carry them in plastic freezer bags for quick reference when needed.  a fish finder with gps is invaluable.  you can get back on your fish that day, or on your marks the next time you go out (you gotta start somewhere).  make things easier on yourself.  install a concave ball rest next to your down rigger,  or at least install a locking rope guide that will keep your ball from swinging around.  when you bring your dipsey rod in, drop that dipsey diver onto the deck of your boat before you start working on the line or lure; no need in fighting the weight of the diver as it's rocking all over with the boat.  keep a boat hook handy to pull in planer board lines to set out different plugs if you don't have a pulley system installed.  there's alot you can do.  for myself, i need 3 people on my boat.  a driver, and 2 of us to help each other set rods, (it's tough for me to set rods by myself, reel in, and net).  and keep the number of rods you're running to a manageable amount.  you'll catch more fish with 5 or 6, then you will if you're constantly untangling 9 or 10.  running a high number of rods takes skill on the driver and rod setters parts.  not for the rookie or faint of heart.  and if you're not catching, observe other boats in closer or out farther with binoculars.  and hey, sometimes they're just not biting.
    post edited by pikepredator2 - 2014/10/10 06:16:37
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2130
    Re: Bait for walleye instead of trolling? 2014/10/10 07:13:48 (permalink)
    A good GPS is also a great tool. You can see the speed your moving in tenths of a mph. You can also mark where you're catching fish, so when you get off the school, you can turn right back into em and blast more.

BH
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    Re: Bait for walleye instead of trolling? 2014/10/27 16:07:12 (permalink)
    Drifting with night crawlers and bottom bouncers is the funest way
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    Re: Bait for walleye instead of trolling? 2014/10/29 21:49:47 (permalink)
    trolling is the most productive way to catch walleye. however, my most memorable walleye day this year was catching 3 eyes while perch fishing. dragging them up 70 ft on a perch rod was a experience i won't soon forget. probably a once in a life time day.
    Jump to: