Gas Well

Author
BIGHEAD_1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 234
  • Reward points: 0
2014/09/28 05:18:16 (permalink)

Gas Well

Been seeing just a outrageous amount of gas wells going up and was wondering two things.    1 Is this happening all over   PA or its all over state, And the US ??? 2 Did any of you guy's lose hunting ground to it?  I think with putting that many holes that deep in the Earth can't be good No

17 Replies Related Threads

DRod
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 87
    Re: Gas Well 2014/09/28 10:06:33 (permalink)
    Seems to be pretty heavy in Butler County especially. Of course I live there and spend a lot of time there, so maybe i just notice it more in places I'm familiar with.

Haven't lost any ground to it, but it sure messed up deer hunting in one of my favorite spots last year while they were fracking a couple hundred yards away. Feels like the ground is literally shaking beneath you. Still was plenty of deer sign in the area but I think the deer were just about completely nocturnal with all that noise and racket.
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Gas Well 2014/09/28 11:12:39 (permalink)
    Consider the bright side- The US is very capable of energy independence- we just need to stop with the enviro nuts and drill.
    Whenever that happens we can kiss off sending our kids overseas to be maimed and die for  idiots who have been killing each other for 2,000 years.
    Not to mention billions of tax bucks to facilitate our military efforts and  keep our 'friends' over there on our side.
    Each and every well and coal mine  is a step in the right direction IMHO.
      Sorry for the political rant.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/09/28 11:14:33
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: Gas Well 2014/09/28 11:22:20 (permalink)
    It's pretty much all over the U.S and is the reason we will not be dependent on the middle east for our energy in a few years which is a good thing. It's both gas and oil wells with many of them producing both.

I haven't lost any ground to them as drillers tend to be more hunter friendly and usually don't post as opposed to the urban/enviromental folks who move to the country and post solid, in at least in my experience.

The wildlife tend to move away while they are drilling but seem to move right back in once the commotion stops.

As with anything man does to improve their standard of living when compared to the early Indians there is a cost to the environment and drilling is no different. There are tens of thousands of old wells in Penna that have been there for over a hundred years and we are still alive so I doubt a few thousand more will change things much. I will admit to having some concerns about pumping the contaminated water from the fracking back underground but if done correctly it should be no different than the oil and gas already there.

I have had 40 years of free gas from the old wells on my property so have experienced first hand the benefits. My water sucks and has a slight gaseous smell without a conditioner so I have also experienced the drawbacks. In my view the benefits win.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    Re: Gas Well 2014/09/28 12:57:36 (permalink)

post edited by rap - 2014/09/28 15:41:34
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gas Well 2014/09/28 15:56:27 (permalink)
    Know its easy for me to talk about wells living far off in Ct and its not in my backyard but am sick and tired of bailing out potentates  on the sand just because of oil.
    Yea, yea, we say its other things but our dependence is a huge factor and keeps us there throughout the latter of their  thousands of years  of dopy  wars.
    Would love to live long enough to see how they handle it when they have no US to bail them out.
    IMHO they have kinda proven they want to kill each other off since they have been doing it since recorded history began soooo-Have at it -don't let us stop your crazy azzez.
    Like two guys wanting to go at it in a Gin Mill---Stop bothering the rest of us, just  go out back and get it done.
    Nothing left but empty deserts, bones and vultures.
     Sorry bout rant #2
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/09/28 16:04:35
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: Gas Well 2014/09/30 12:15:38 (permalink)
    bothers me to see land owners who had perfectly healthy wells have them turn to **** after fracking came to their areas.  i don't think it's any coincidence either that all of a sudden, earthquakes are being recorded in fracking areas that never had earthquakes before.  this is going on in texas.  not in any way, shape, or form is fracking ever going to get us off the mid eastern oil teat.  the environuts as you called them are right on this issue.  just keep voting republicans back into office, that's who's sending our kids over there to be maimed and killed. ****cheney and his daughter were out on a u.s. tour recently to try to rewrite history and****s legacy.  sorry liz and**** ,ain't gonna work.  you and W secured your families fortunes for generations on the lives and limbs of our children.  they should have been arrested for war profiteering.  so just keep voting against your own interests because the GOP have you all convinced that **** obama is going to take your guns.  funny thing is, i have more guns in my safe than i did in 2008.
    post edited by pikepredator2 - 2014/09/30 12:20:17
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gas Well 2014/09/30 16:26:49 (permalink)
    1. If Clinton would have taken out Bin Laden the two times he could have none of this Mid East BS would have happened.

2. The experts, including Dem's have said we will be able to be self reliant on our own energy once the infrastructure is in place to move the oil and gas from where it is to where it needs to go.

3. We had Iraq won until Obama decided to make his legacy getting all our troops out of the Mid East regardless of the outcome and as a result "HE" gets to start all over. He has already started sending troops back over. He said only 300---then he said only 800---now we are at 1600 and counting

4. You have your guns only because of the NRA and other Pro Gun groups. Obama did everything in his power to take them away and is still trying to do it. Hell, the liberals turned on their own Democratic Senators who dared vote against their anti gun BS.

5. Obama did what every liberal educated social worker would do as president----concentrate on social issues and ignore defense because they don't have a clue what to do.  Now we are going to pay for his ignorance. His only foreign policy experience before being president was playing in a sandbox with some other 6 year olds overseas.

6.We have fracked  oil wells for a hundred years with out trouble when done correctly. Injecting the fluid back underground under pressure is somewhat unknown as far as the effects.

7.As far as profiteering goes you may want to pull up the Democratic doner list and see where a lot of their money comes from.

8. BTW --Obamas own folks said the cross country Canada/US pipeline would not harm the country. Having it run through the US rather than towards China would give us control over the oil in case of war or another emergency. Obama has stalled for several years. WHY

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gas Well 2014/09/30 17:10:35 (permalink)
    Erased it---too political and perhaps a bit nasty.
    Hunting is better. (and less stressful)
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/09/30 19:51:37
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Gas Well 2014/09/30 20:29:57 (permalink)
    Pikepredator..... your turn.

Fair warning; it's gonna be tuff to out do the FACTS given by S-10 with your FICTION.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BIGHEAD_1
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 234
    Re: Gas Well 2014/10/01 04:30:57 (permalink)
    ALL RIGHTY THEN !!!!!!!!!!  I was just asking if the new drill sites in your hunting area IS or WILL be hurting your Hunting this year???????  Quite frankly I'm am LUCKY all the places I hunt the Owners have no interest in allowing ANY Drilling on there property WHITCH makes me VERY lucky.   AS far as OBAMANIG He will be out of his term shortly and then we can get somebody in office that will Have SOME KINDA OF IDEA
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2124
    Re: Gas Well 2014/10/01 07:15:20 (permalink)
    Back on topic. Yes, I have seen lots of new wells go up in the last decade or so. The one property we hunt ( bout 500 acres ) has a geiser on it. The property is still owned by the land owner, not the gas company. The only effect I've seen with the new well is, they put it right smack dab in the middle of the thickets. The deer used to hold there when they were under pressure, now they roll out when being pushed.

BH
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gas Well 2014/10/01 09:03:48 (permalink)
    I have actually used oil tanks for hunting stands during archery season with some success. They would be excellent in many places around here during gun season except for the potential for a unwanted secondary bang. We do use them in places they are no longer pumping. The new horizontial wells tend to be mostly in fields here and where I hunt in Ohio so the drilling sites don't disturb the critters much once they finish drilling and leave.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gas Well 2014/10/01 10:46:35 (permalink)
    Been in the PA fields chasing whitetails since...... welllllllll let's just say quite a while. ;-) I remember hitting the sack the night before 'first day' listening to the pumping jacks screeching and scrowling with each pull of the rod lines. Wasn't hard to fall asleep, even as a kid, those nights as one only needed to count, not sheep but, the seconds between the ignition of the hit and miss engines running the lines. All kidding aside, many of the folks in the area would not sleep well when the system was down.

Most people, opposing the drilling of today, have no idea of the oil days of yesteryear. The large patches of tar like substance coating the ground around the jacks and wood stave barrels/tanks. The ditches, running through neighborhoods full of brine water mixed with oil and tar. (which dumped into streams and rivers). Even the smell, on humid/foggy nights, could be overwelming. You could use the lease roads to access your hunting stand if you didn't mind walking the distance. Driving those roads was certainly out of the question do to the large/deep ruts cut into the surface from erosion.

The barrels and tanks did provide some hunting advantage but, you couldn't stand on top as there, was no top. However, should you find a smaller barrel, having been out of service over time, you could climb inside with your homemade ladder of tree branches. These barrels were a wonderful thing as they provided you cover of natural surroundings AND the smell helped to cover your scent. Rub a finger on the barrel edge and wipe it on your face for a natural bug repellent and great camo paint. (Climbing into a barrel having been used recently would get you a ride home in your long johns at days end.)

I stop by some of my old stomping grounds now and then and I look out over the hills and valleys once dominated by those oilfields. I find it remarkable how mother nature recovered from those days. Where those pumping jacks and barrels once stood, surrounded by oil and tar, grows trees and grasses and I have to guess where my old barrel once stood. Though mother nature took back what was rightfully hers, she will never take from me, the memories of hunting the oil fields of PA. and hearing the screeching, scrawling along with 'putt... putt... putt.... ka-pow' as, I lay in bed the night before 'first day'.

Sorry, got carried away, now to answear your question. Ummm..... no I don't think the drilling has an effect on the deer hunting.

As the name implies;
    BTDT.

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Gas Well 2014/10/01 12:17:51 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Been in the PA fields chasing whitetails since...... welllllllll let's just say quite a while. ;-) I remember hitting the sack the night before 'first day' listening to the pumping jacks screeching and scrowling with each pull of the rod lines. Wasn't hard to fall asleep, even as a kid, those nights as one only needed to count, not sheep but, the seconds between the ignition of the hit and miss engines running the lines. All kidding aside, many of the folks in the area would not sleep well when the system was down.

Most people, opposing the drilling of today, have no idea of the oil days of yesteryear. The large patches of tar like substance coating the ground around the jacks and wood stave barrels/tanks. The ditches, running through neighborhoods full of brine water mixed with oil and tar. (which dumped into streams and rivers). Even the smell, on humid/foggy nights, could be overwelming. You could use the lease roads to access your hunting stand if you didn't mind walking the distance. Driving those roads was certainly out of the question do to the large/deep ruts cut into the surface from erosion.

The barrels and tanks did provide some hunting advantage but, you couldn't stand on top as there, was no top. However, should you find a smaller barrel, having been out of service over time, you could climb inside with your homemade ladder of tree branches. These barrels were a wonderful thing as they provided you cover of natural surroundings AND the smell helped to cover your scent. Rub a finger on the barrel edge and wipe it on your face for a natural bug repellent and great camo paint. (Climbing into a barrel having been used recently would get you a ride home in your long johns at days end.)

I stop by some of my old stomping grounds now and then and I look out over the hills and valleys once dominated by those oilfields. I find it remarkable how mother nature recovered from those days. Where those pumping jacks and barrels once stood, surrounded by oil and tar, grows trees and grasses and I have to guess where my old barrel once stood. Though mother nature took back what was rightfully hers, she will never take from me, the memories of hunting the oil fields of PA. and hearing the screeching, scrawling along with 'putt... putt... putt.... ka-pow' as, I lay in bed the night before 'first day'.

Sorry, got carried away, now to answear your question. Ummm..... no I don't think the drilling has an effect on the deer hunting.

As the name implies;
    BTDT.

I grew up with those... it was 'normal' to me to hear the sounds and smell the oil residues.  I loved the old wood tanks and do you remember the salt residue that would leech through the wood and cracks and coat the lower portion of the tanks?   I remember sitting under a maple near one of the wells and watching groups of deer come in every evening to the tank and using it as a salt lick.  I found that the deer quickly got used to any activity in their area as long as they weren't approached or threatened....
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    Re: Gas Well 2014/10/06 11:33:08 (permalink)
    Ruined my favorite rabbit spot.  Almost lost the dog to a frack truck a few years ago, traffic is insane there now.  Many other locations available though, it was just nice because the old road got maybe two cars a day, and it was near my folks.

Wildlife gets used to it and moves right back in.  I hunt almost on a pad in WV.  The deer weren't even that shook up when they were drilling.  A lot of times they feed on the grass/vetch/clover, etc that they plant around the well sites.  Actually, all the time they do.  I used to hunt a coal mine in GreeneCo on a permit, and it was some of the most fun I have ever had bowhunting.  Deer get used to it.

As far as oil independence is concerned, and our affairs in the middle east, dream on.  It is a global economy.  It has created a lot of jobs here, and I am happy for it.  Mining is devastating.  Horrible for the water table.  As long as they can keep the fly by night frack turcks in line, in the long run, we are way better off.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    Re: Gas Well 2014/10/06 11:36:29 (permalink)
    BeenThereDoneThat.

As the name implies;
    BTDT.

I also long for the days of unregulated pollution to our streams.  I would really love to step back to that.  On a fishing site no less. 
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Gas Well 2014/10/06 17:20:42 (permalink)
    Not to worry; we see nothing of the oil/gas fields that operated in my memories. Not to worry; the adverage joe doesn't even know oil/gas wells exist in an area once the drilling is finished. Not to worry; we lose more hunting ground and fishing streams to urban sprawl then we lose to drilling pads. Not to worry; well sights take up far less area then do land fill sights receiving solid waste from the urban sprawl. Not to worry; as the actual well pipe is incased in other casings and concrete. This protects against leakage just like the urban waste being piled onto a plastic/rubber sheet to prevent leaching into ground water and or streams. Not to worry; traffic associated with oil/gas is temporary and no where near as congested as found in urban sprawl.

Not to worry; we have enough natural gas to meet the demands of that new urban sprawl. We just need to drill for it.

Jump to: