Tackle

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
dtrobe
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 100
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Tackle 2014/09/14 00:10:30 (permalink)
My light in the tunnel is Sept. 29-Oct. 3. Even though its my 4th year going, im still a rookie. Anyone feel free to share some river time and show a new dog some old tricks, let me know.
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: Tackle 2014/09/14 07:58:17 (permalink)
r3g3
Heyy Charlie- You picked the best time so far this season for early unmolested fishes- hope ya found a few- weather permitting.
Am sure the reports of a few starting will get the circus train started- by the time I get up again will be stumbling over people instead of cobble.

Fish were there in very, very small numbers. Saw maybe 10 all day, and  those just swirls. Never saw a hook-up out of hundreds of people fishing.  Talked to guys that abandoned the DSR in the morning as nothing was happening. Guess it was just off.
Water was warm. Rained off and on  from 10 . We fished below 2a, UFZ, Schoolhouse, Barrel and looked at lots of other places with nothing happening. But, had a great day with tons of laughter and great company.  I'm glad I finally got to fish with Uglyfish, won't be the last by any means. The chubs were everywhere, rising by the dozens and trying to whack your flies on the swing, occasionally getting hooked. I guess  if you use 1/0's you'd never have  to  unhook them. Now there's a reason....
     Walked in the powerlines from Pulaski St. to the bottom  of Schoolhouse.  There's a chopped swath for most of the way, but lots of bungee sticks and stubble. We followed a flock of vultures- shoulda told us something.  At 350 crossing was a non-issue- at 500 still doable if you wanted to cross over from the north and walk down to the bottom of the wire. Jailhouse was empty, looked like a ghost town. They have posted right to the last 50 feet of the land adjacent to Schoolhouse.
Went up and fished the tail of the barrel and saw that it's filled in even more. I could easily wade across in  a good  100 foot stretch, that wasn't so a few years ago, unless you were willing to go a little deep and had some great balance.  If jailwater inmates fish back there at low water they're going to have to duel with those fishing the north. Literally.  I no longer miss it. I'll fish it from the north, much better approach , especially with the changes. The Kiddie Pool had some facelifting done by the DEC?  An excavator put in a bunch of rock at the launch , basically eliminating the red light gravel bar and pushing the channel and  south seam  over past the center bridge pylon.  The prime spot in the pool is gone. Probably eliminated  room for 4-5 guys and makes the fish run a narrow gauntlet without  much space to hold at lower flows.   The Church Pool also lost the gravel bar on the North Bank and straightened out.    It did improve up towards the wire.  The tree at the top of Paradise lost all the branches in the water and has become a non-issue, a few trees are back in the curve- it looks like you could cross at low water but very, very dicey. We tried to cross at the bottom of Paradise, but the deep corner turned us back.  I didn't look at the tail of Purgatory, but I'm guessing it's safer to just walk -in from the LFZ.
We had an amazing incident happen in front of Dawn's where we had gone to peer off the bridge at the zoo. Not many people there. I'll let Wayne tell it, but I missed a prime opportunity to shoot some hilarious video. I may have had one take, as I had my loop I usually keep in hand for swinging rip from my hand, but no hook-up. Would I do it again? Yeah, it was a good trip with lots learned and a good guy met and fished with- well worth the trip.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: Tackle 2014/09/14 12:03:20 (permalink)
Had the impression the cobble all over the middle of the low end of LFZ was a result of the South channel being made deeper- likely for the boats to get in off the ramp. It was getting so that every one was scraping bottom for a good distance there in average waters.
Too bad it made such a narrow channel coming out from under the bridge though. That will likely be a popular choke point when the fish stack- or they will just move up much further- will likely change the dynamics of fishing the popular  low end of the pool entirely.
Betcha a lot of the cobble will end up in unemployment next winter.

Although most all pro reports are by far and away more accurate than years gone by I think there is a bit of unintended impression given in regard to  the amount of fish in the system. When guys with decades of experience are regularly getting skunked and report of just being appreciative of the experience in general it AINT time for folks to take vacation , spend their time and money, and head for the river.
Its just the beginning of the beginning so far.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/09/14 12:14:44
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: Tackle 2014/09/14 21:12:08 (permalink)
fichy
r3g3Heyy Charlie- You picked the best time so far this season for early unmolested fishes- hope ya found a few- weather permitting.Am sure the reports of a few starting will get the circus train started- by the time I get up again will be stumbling over people instead of cobble.

Fish were there in very, very small numbers. Saw maybe 10 all day, and  those just swirls. Never saw a hook-up out of hundreds of people fishing.  Talked to guys that abandoned the DSR in the morning as nothing was happening. Guess it was just off.Water was warm. Rained off and on  from 10 . We fished below 2a, UFZ, Schoolhouse, Barrel and looked at lots of other places with nothing happening. But, had a great day with tons of laughter and great company.  I'm glad I finally got to fish with Uglyfish, won't be the last by any means. The chubs were everywhere, rising by the dozens and trying to whack your flies on the swing, occasionally getting hooked. I guess  if you use 1/0's you'd never have  to  unhook them. Now there's a reason....     Walked in the powerlines from Pulaski St. to the bottom  of Schoolhouse.  There's a chopped swath for most of the way, but lots of bungee sticks and stubble. We followed a flock of vultures- shoulda told us something.  At 350 crossing was a non-issue- at 500 still doable if you wanted to cross over from the north and walk down to the bottom of the wire. Jailhouse was empty, looked like a ghost town. They have posted right to the last 50 feet of the land adjacent to Schoolhouse.Went up and fished the tail of the barrel and saw that it's filled in even more. I could easily wade across in  a good  100 foot stretch, that wasn't so a few years ago, unless you were willing to go a little deep and had some great balance.  If jailwater inmates fish back there at low water they're going to have to duel with those fishing the north. Literally.  I no longer miss it. I'll fish it from the north, much better approach , especially with the changes. The Kiddie Pool had some facelifting done by the DEC?  An excavator put in a bunch of rock at the launch , basically eliminating the red light gravel bar and pushing the channel and  south seam  over past the center bridge pylon.  The prime spot in the pool is gone. Probably eliminated  room for 4-5 guys and makes the fish run a narrow gauntlet without  much space to hold at lower flows.   The Church Pool also lost the gravel bar on the North Bank and straightened out.    It did improve up towards the wire.  The tree at the top of Paradise lost all the branches in the water and has become a non-issue, a few trees are back in the curve- it looks like you could cross at low water but very, very dicey. We tried to cross at the bottom of Paradise, but the deep corner turned us back.  I didn't look at the tail of Purgatory, but I'm guessing it's safer to just walk -in from the LFZ.We had an amazing incident happen in front of Dawn's where we had gone to peer off the bridge at the zoo. Not many people there. I'll let Wayne tell it, but I missed a prime opportunity to shoot some hilarious video. I may have had one take, as I had my loop I usually keep in hand for swinging rip from my hand, but no hook-up. Would I do it again? Yeah, it was a good trip with lots learned and a good guy met and fished with- well worth the trip.

Nice report Charlie :) glad you guys hooked up and shared some water, with us too.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
Re: Tackle 2014/09/14 22:13:46 (permalink)
Thanks for the intro Charlie. We'll here it goes not sure if I can do it justice but will give it a try. Well were at the bridge walking back toward the car and two guys are near the car. Figure dawn had some goons harassing us for parking on her street. We keep walking and the car behind us lights keep going off and a guy is trying to open my door this goes on for a bit then all of the sudden one realizes it isn't their car it's ours. Got to love it these guys were feeling no pain by no means. We get there and one guy left his coffee on my bumper he comes back looking like I stole his coffee pole in hand headed to river while the other idiot almost hits us while he pulls out. Charlie and I look at each other and that's why we fish where we do. It's early and I think we actually saw more beer cans left on the shore than fish.
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: Tackle 2014/09/15 02:54:37 (permalink)
Thanks for the stories guys.

Dam when you started I hope that tale was going to end with you guys blowing in a couple of the pill heads that have been ripping people off there lately.

uglyfish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 561
Re: Tackle 2014/09/15 06:38:18 (permalink)
Don't think they were trying to rip off it was a silver SUV like mine they were just so messed up they thought mine car was theirs.
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/15 08:12:33 (permalink)
Thanks Ug.
I got that from your post.
Its just that there has been a LOT of ripping off around lately from what I have been reading.

Just hoping that you guys were lucky enough to catch them in the act and get a couple of losers off the streets for a while.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: Tackle 2014/09/15 18:35:19 (permalink)
Nice report guys and good read. I've owned for 12 years now and have lived for over 2. Its the 25th season of fishing the Area for me. As a child I always noticed the goons... Especially my fathers take on it In situations that formed when younger...and the lack of disrespect from many. I think there is a change taking place honestly... But, since owning property for the number of years and now living formore than 2... I can really see where the term fish head came from... Just another word for **** head...most folks who live here gain nothing from the fishery and folks (fisherman) that think that the fishery is the only thing that makes this place survive is in a dream world.. Sorry for the rant... Too many hours of work will do that to ya :)
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: Tackle 2014/09/15 19:50:58 (permalink)
Yep, fishhead is a common term for me and it is another wired fir $#it head. I have moved past the stereotype of a fishhead being None with an out of state plate.  Here is my criteria for a fshhead.
1: anyone who litters
2: anyone who is intoxicated on the river, drinks and drives between spots. It's ok to have a few cool ones, but when you  start at 9 am...........  I will include firing up on the river bank Creech and Chong style in this one too.
3: anyone whose outfit costs more than the sum of all my gear put together
4: anyone who feels that they own the river, especially  just because they drove a few miles  to get here
5: most anyone who fishes the local tribs, you know the ones with surf poles and thirty pound test.
6: anyone who is disrespectful to the residents of the community, their fellow fisherpeople and the fish/river

post edited by Clint S - 2014/09/15 21:45:13

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/15 20:40:02 (permalink)
dimebrite2
most folks who live here gain nothing from the fishery and folks (fisherman) that think that the fishery is the only thing that makes this place survive is in a dream world.. Sorry for the rant... Too many hours of work will do that to ya :)

My friend Mr Chips used to always say the same thing.
I've always agreed.
Most of the businesses are owned by outtastaters that now consider themselves as locals.Most just came for the money.
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: Tackle 2014/09/15 20:43:54 (permalink)
One of the few places ya can be in off season where everyone holds the door for each other and means it when they say 'good morning' and ''how are you today'.
Great place-great folks
Anyone knocking it or screwing it up Pizzes me off.
As a part time resident found its easy to spot the idiots in Silly season.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/15 21:23:03 (permalink)
Two Bob... Whether out of staters or not, my take on it is this area has been here since before the fishery was even dreamt of...and honestly 81 barrels from Watertown to Syracuse every morning so you tell me where the money really is ;)

With that being said, I have no quams with people marketing and trying to make money by providing product or service in regards to the fishery. But self entitlement, snobbery, disrespectful behavior, and everything else that comes with the negative side of the travelling circus that comes every year is down right BS...

Clint I like your descriptions of fish heads... But I have been known to crack a cold one before noon... Please no one hold that against me.. Lol
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/15 21:36:22 (permalink)
Andy I changed it a bit. Wouldn't want my dad to be a fishhead now  😜😜

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 02:13:01 (permalink)
NOTHING WRONG with outtastaters or anyone trying to make a living.
Don't go painting me with you're Joe McCarthy pinko paint brush.
Just saying  that a lot of the money from the fishery doesn't stay in the local economy.

Chipper has always said the summer "off season"
brings more money to the LOCAL economy than the fishing season.

dtrobe
Novice Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 09:24:28 (permalink)
What brings money in, in the summer season?
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 09:30:45 (permalink)
Tourism... Major tourism... Lake Ontario and through travelers... Camp grounds are full all summer long. 81 is plastered with out of state and Canadian plates all summer long
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 10:07:17 (permalink)
The lake in general is what keeps the traffic rolling through.  Like Andy said most of the state parks and campgrounds on the lake keep everyone chugging along and most are full or close to it throughout the summer.  Couple that with the steady line of folks making the trip to the mall from Canada and it stays busy. It all boils down to the lake though. Heck Charlie Caprara must be doing ok with the size of those two new dealerships right off 81

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 11:46:35 (permalink)
I believe it was 10.5 million to build those dealerships clint. And guess what... They are on a payment in lieu of taxes program in which they do not pay taxes based on full assessment... The fisherman should be just as heated towards them as they are towards jail water... you'd think???

Just having a little fun here folks... Nothing too serious :)
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 12:05:36 (permalink)
I hate all those car dealerships blocking access to a public river. Oh, they're parking lots.....
post edited by fichy - 2014/09/16 12:22:46
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 13:33:44 (permalink)
IF they (the DEC) would really crack down on the snagger/rippers and they would not come to the area anymore a lot of the bad stuff would end.These types are the litterers/boozeheads/disrespectful Aholes that make the "silly season" what it is.I know many FISHERMEN that quit the Salmon fishing because of the Aholes and I bet they would return if it would be cleaned up.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 13:48:09 (permalink)
Those stealerships are nice looking, we have bought a car or 2 from them.   I would like to know how many more NEW jobs were created when they opened as both were already operating elsewhere.  I would think the builders were not local. Sales tax from the purchases will stay in the county. I am torn on the PILOT program.  They really need to look at each case individually. Jailwater would have been built no matter what PILOT or not.

Back to tackle. What is the smallest fly you consistently fish for steel.  I use 12's all the time. Do any use 14's.  Thinking of tying up some of my green nymphs in a 14. All the worms I have seen are that small or smaller. Do you get to a point where the Steel CA not see it as well..............

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 14:12:39 (permalink)
Clint I use size 14 glo bugs for Steel and have caught many fish on size 16 peacock nympths.
dtrobe
Novice Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 15:33:02 (permalink)
I know shot size varies a lot, depending on the flow and the depth of the water.  But, what is the most common size shot to use?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 15:55:39 (permalink)
dtrobe
I know shot size varies a lot, depending on the flow and the depth of the water.  But, what is the most common size shot to use?

Apologize for jumping in without reading the entire thread but for salmon, for me, it's usually lower water level of 335-750 and I " like " to fish shallower pockets.
My streamers are also weighted via bead eyes so my preferred shot when used is bb or a 3/0 when needed and keep the shot close to the fly, not the standard 4' as most do.
I like my streamers to have action and swim as opposed to say a dead drift method of an egg.
P.S. ( edit ) my flies rarely hang up on bottom for salmon

For cold water steel then I will go more towards a dead drift with a heaver weight in deeper runs and pools . Still I feel the 1/8 oz such as in the lfz is mostly adequate .
I can't recall the chart I posted but I think 2 number 7 shot = 1/8 oz, I may be wrong but in most cases I may use a # 3/0 , a # 7 or a combination of the 2 if needed to dredge and remain in the 1/8 th regulation
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/09/16 16:00:38

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/16 18:24:29 (permalink)
dimebrite2
I believe it was 10.5 million to build those dealerships clint. And guess what... They are on a payment in lieu of taxes program in which they do not pay taxes based on full assessment... The fisherman should be just as heated towards them as they are towards jail water... you'd think???

Just having a little fun here folks... Nothing too serious :)

Another mid stream jump in here, heck I feel like you brother with the busy end, but 10 mil ?? Shoot I could buy my entire town for that coin , lol.
NYS is offering start up biz a tax incentive .Not all are as lucrative as a tax shelter jail water or a new 20 year deal of a cement plant . We ( little people ) seem to be the grunts that keep the wheels turning , only wish we were greased a little bit too.

The biggest key to the fishery has always been the LAKE, us river walkers are supplemental income on a small window.
I love and have loved the area in the summer for many years , honestly more then the circus of the salmon.
Notice my avatar is of the Lake :)

dtrobe
Novice Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/18 22:15:20 (permalink)
So, this could be an ignorant question, but is it unheard of to use a floating powerbait or something like it on a fly rod to target browns or anything else in the river?
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/19 07:06:28 (permalink)
No bait  allowed in the fly zones.  I would guess it would be hard to keep on the hook, casting with a fly rod. You also can't use a running line and mono (chuck and duck) in the fly zones.  A simple egg fly is cheaper and probably just as effective. You might want to review the special regulations for the SR before going.  If I was going to fish bait (if I did it would be skein or sacks under a float) I would use a spinning rod. Way more effective for what you're presenting.
post edited by fichy - 2014/09/19 07:18:07
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: Tackle 2014/09/19 07:28:05 (permalink)
Here, here!

Unfortunately, you can use a weight forward line and way too much weight in the flyzones for the new chuck and lift technique that is so popular with many of the "sports", especially for the north bank in the riffs between the church pool and the kiddie pool.  But if you want to fish bait, get there really early, go below the bridge and stake out a claim in the unemployment line and you are sure to be hooking up all day long on eggs.

L13
post edited by Lucky13 - 2014/09/19 07:32:34
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: Tackle 2014/09/19 07:56:26 (permalink)
Never used myself but I've known and heard of power bait working very well for steel and browns
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to: