No news is good I guess

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/01 08:14:01 (permalink)
Like I said before with my injury , I could not cast a single handed fly rod. It was just excruciating pain in my elbow to make the casting motion . When I went to the 2 handed spey it became easily possible to cast again because most of the power changed to the opposite ( left) wrist and not the right elbow.
Thing I did not like was the length of the rod,13' .
When a fish was hooked it was a major PIA to bring it to hand. I would use an extendible net or try to stick to spots that would allow walking back and beach them.
If you decide to give it a try its here for the taking

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/01 12:17:01 (permalink)
Clint,the shu-fly switch is a great buy for the money.11 ft 8 wt is perfect for the SR and the Salmon and Steel.95% of the casting is roll casts when fishing below the surface,the extra long butt allows you to use both hands to cast without effort.That 11 ft length allows you to keep your line off the water for a better drift and it is n't so long that you can't land fish.Also I put that rod to the test on the Kings with no problems,always keep your hands on the cork,ask Charlie and Rich.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/01 12:31:59 (permalink)
I agree with the 11' switch... I've fished rods ranging from 6'6-14' on this river and I have to say the 11' two handed is my go to. I have one in #7 and #9... The cast ability and drift ability is effortless as jack said in most situations... It makes switching from right to left fairly easy also... But Clint, please don't over extend yourself bud...
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/01 13:10:51 (permalink)
That's the one I am looking at the  11 foot 8  weight. My only concern is like Rich said getting the fish to hand with the added length, but I think the added benefit of keeping the line off the water and some better casting will more than make up for that.  I improved my landing ration by getting a longer handle for my net.

Andy don't worry doctors orders are doctors orders not going to ruin it for some filthy sharks.  A few walking trips with the nephew hooking up may be on my to do list though.   A lawn chair across from the Jailhouse inn may be worthwhile too

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/01 13:47:48 (permalink)
Have an 11 ft 8wt Switch  from Cabelas and put the Lamson reel on it- LOVE IT. Purchased with much advice from folks here.
With practice ya can roll it a very long way without worrying bout those nasty  branches above and behind ya--lol..
Its a 4 piece but  never use two connections and just break it down in the middle when traveling.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/01 13:49:59 (permalink)
All good advice from the masters on the shu fly rods. They can be used as a single or 2 handed rod. I don't think the 11' would be too difficult to use for landing. Just make a nice " clean" nail knot with your leader and you should be able to pull it right through the guides.
I almost went for one myself but realized my time on the river will be less so I don't really need another rod.
Only bought the spey on a whim, a foolish one at that because I really see no place for it plus I hate the rod, length etc.
Nice to hear your following docs orders, I was never good at discipline.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/01 14:04:05 (permalink)
My two 11' ers are actually tfo deer creek but I believe the shu is cheaper and jack has obviously put them to the test. RT I often do the same with my four piece rods but it is good to break them down completely as they can encourage breaking by keeping the top two pieces together... Also good practice to check your most top tip every 1/2 hour as extensive casting can loosen it up and when a fish is hooked it can break from not being fully secured.

Clint, I've been two hand casting for quite some time if you ever want to hook up some time I can give a few pointers to break the curve bud
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/04 09:17:21 (permalink)
Breaking news I took a shower...........................
I can finally shave without excruciating pain on my chin so that is slowly getting better, arm pain a little better, but I have been on prednisone for 6 days and this is the last pill in the cycle so my roid rage (and my constant hunger) should decrease. Neck pain is alot better. Swallowing is close to normal, but pills still get stuck when they never did before.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/29 19:51:14 (permalink)
So I got a letter today staying that my 1 day hospital stay was not covered by my insurance. They expected me to go home right after. Hopefully they can get this fixed as I do not want to have to pay for that.

twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/29 21:44:48 (permalink)
That is bull clint.
No way you go home the same day they do your neck.
Hope it's just a glitch in the system.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/29 22:22:39 (permalink)
Nope the letter clearly states that most cervical fusions are outpatient procedures and because my condition after surgery was good there was no medical reason for me to stay. No need for the IV antibiotics, to stave off infection, no need to monitor for bloodclots going into my lungs(which almost always happen within 24 hours off surgery), no need to worry that I could not swallow.
I live a hour from the hospital any major issue I had I would have been dead before I got there.
I am friends with one of the nurses there and she said it is standard procedure for that hospital to keep everyone overnight especially if they live more than 20 minutes away. Another friend said she got the same letter after her knee replacement and it ended up getting paid. The doctors will just resend paperwork better showing medical necessity. But c'mon.......

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/04 09:54:13 (permalink)
FML!
3 weeks ago I did something to my hand.
Workers comp urgent care called it a strained or sprained tendon.
The tendon to my middle finger on my right hand felt like a bow string drawn and released when I moved it wrong.
Told me to not lift more than 20 pounds and keep working
While better it is still swollen and painful.
Very painful when put into certain positions.

Follow up follow up tomorrow.
Don't know if there is more to it than they have diagnosed  but somehow I don't think it should still be swollen and painful 3 weeks into it.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/04 11:14:21 (permalink)
Well TB I am no hand expert by any means.  If I was at work I would ask some of my OT friends.  All's I can say is yea it may take a while, but after 3 weeks it should be getting a bit better [which it sounds like it is].  What sucks is that it is WC and it will take months to get an MRI if you need one.  which is what you need to get an accurate diagnosis.  Do anti inflamitories work like naproxen [alleve]?  I would ice it every chance you get to get the swelling down.

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/04 11:34:44 (permalink)
Been icing it clint.
On 800mg ibuprofen.
It makes it usable but still when the finger is bent the wrong way the pain is intense and I can't help but release it and it kinda wants to fall to my side till it subsides.
Thanks for the input.
Not as concerned about the healing rate now.
Still gonna see if I can't get whoever looks at it tomorrow put something in writing that it is progressing normally.
If their malpractice insurance is on the line they may take it a bit more seriously than the nurse practitioner did last time follow up.
Hardly looked at it, told me to take the splint off and don't do things that make it hurt (as if you would do that if you knew it was going to hurt) 
Just want it taken seriously.

Oh and I want to know I won't drop my rod because of it when playing a SR fish.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/04 12:23:47 (permalink)
A small tear in that tendon can be extremely painful and take forever to heal. I had one in my elbow that was quite painful if I moved the wrong way for 4 months.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/14 20:14:11 (permalink)
Big appointment on Wednesday. Lets see if my spine is fused. I still do not feel like I am at 100% as far as strength and definitely lacking range of motion. When I turn my head too far I get a bad pain in the neck, but it is muscular.  pain shooting down the arm has improved, but still there. Still got that numb feeling on my chin above the incision. I do finally feel like I am getting a bit better every day. Will probably as for at least 2 more weeks of maybe a month.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/17 20:54:41 (permalink)
Seems everything is going as it should (other that the 2 hour wait  for 15 minutes with the MD). Pain in the arm is from hypersensitive nerve whole it is regenerating. Neck pain is from lack of movement and the fact that someone drilled 4 holes in my spine, ripped out a disc and screwed a plate in.  MD was disappointed with my range of motion especially lateral flexion (ear to shoulder). Starting my rehab stint with range of motion exercises and arm strengthening. Upped lifting to 25# to increase with my tolerance. OK'd lawn mowing for short periods and light chores also to increase with tolerance and yes he did ok fishing, even on a boat (on a calm day no wave crashing), but I think that is done for the year. He says the vertebra look fused with no issues with the hardware. If he had his way I would be out of work for 2 more months, but is willing to let me go back next month if I feel ok. Soooooooooooo I more month of work. What sucks about that is that I am going to use most of my vacation time extending this month off  so no time off for Steel this December as I usually take a week off, I will be stuck going on weekends with the rest of the mobs...............

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/17 21:42:35 (permalink)
Thanks for the update Clint . I hope things are going as you wished. Time heals and I got a feeling you will be slamming those steel anyway with vengeance :)

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/18 06:59:13 (permalink)
 Glad the healing  process is moving forward.  I've been stuck with weekends  many times, not so bad in Dec.  Just have to put up with us foreigners.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/18 07:46:22 (permalink)
Biggest thing is I am glad I have a job that affords me ample time off and I can accrue it. It has been nice not having to worry about anything , but getting better during all this.

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/18 08:16:17 (permalink)
Glad to hear  your concerns were just a part of the process.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/09/18 09:23:01 (permalink)
Good to hear clint.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2014/10/18 07:49:07 (permalink)
Well lets give this thread some closure. I am off the DL and back in the big league just in time for the show. The pain I had previous to surgery is gone. It has been replaced by an aching neck especially if I sleep in one position for too long. It also gets cranky after labor or fishing all day. My arm is still not at full strength, but coming. The pain is manageable and I am back to the real world and working on Monday. No more fishing during the week as I will be forced to endure the mobs and the crap show in even greater disgust on weekends for a while

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2015/01/10 22:19:52 (permalink)
Well an update to my neck. It still hurts with movement every day  6 months post surgery and I have a few episodes of tingling in the arm and hand. Arm strength is still not what it should be, but is adequate for things I need to do. Original pain is gone though.    I have an appointment with my surgeon on Thursday to find out if this is par for course. I gave it a work out today looking in reverse using the rear mount blower on the tractor.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2015/01/10 23:51:33 (permalink)
Clint I have had some neck issues since July that won't seem to go away. Turning hard to look behind on the tractor gives way to a grind as well as regular maneuvers throughout the day. My shoulders get fatigued as well from it. The figure of speech "pain in the neck" definitely comes from somewhere. I hope the best for your condition.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2015/07/16 19:39:09 (permalink)
So I will post here on my neck instead of the weather thread. MRI and x ray were both negative and looked good. Surgeon had no answers as to why I am in pain, said it could be arthritis brought on by the increased pressure the joints above and blew the fusion, could be my muscles are still not used to working with the fusion, could be nerve damage. The slight pain and weakness in my arm are most probably nerve damage, but they are minor to the neck. He ordered a CT just to make sure there is nothing hiding in the bone fusion. Next are probably shots in the neck. Overall I guess I can't complained too much. I work in a hospital and see much worse off than me every day.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2015/07/17 20:17:08 (permalink)
Clint hope everything stays light brother. My neck has been slowly sliding down hill and I fear the day of surgery. Best wishes to you
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: I am on the DL now 2015/07/18 17:27:06 (permalink)
Good to hear the issues with your neck are normal given all that you have been through.

Not trying to hijack but has anyone had experience with injections called Arthovisc?  I wrecked by knee over a year ago and went through the process leading up to an MRI but never heard from the Ortho Doctor regarding results.  Went to the hospital recently to get a copy of the MRI report only to find I have a torn meniscus and some cartilage issues.  Been there, done that with my right knee but now the left knee is causing pain waking me in the middle of the night.  Went to a new Ortho guy the other day and he basically gave me an option, injections (Orthovisc) or surgery.  If I opt for surgery I would prefer to do it after the fall season (fishing & hunting).  The injections are in a series of at least three, one per week , perhaps more and are effective for up to six months.  If anyone has had experience with Orthovisc let me know.    
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: I am on the DL now 2015/07/18 19:44:39 (permalink)
I can help a bit on it Gerry. It is very similar to the synovial fluid you already have. It is to cushion and lubricate the joint. I have dealt with a few that have had it done and all said it gave them relief to some extent. I have seen a few that have been pain free after for 6 months to a year.  Side effects are low. Here is my professional advice, but it worth what you are paying for it. The injections are a stop gap. The sooner you get it fixed the better. Increased age and damage make recovery that much harder the longer you put it off.  I would get the injections to get you through the fall and then get it fixed.

troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: I am on the DL now 2015/07/19 13:46:41 (permalink)
Thanks for the info Clint.  That's pretty much how I understood the Orthovisc descriptors by the doctor.  The red tape for getting approval for the injections may take up to two months but surgery is readily available, go figure.  I do know , having had surgery on the right knee, that the recovery time is upward to six months before it starts to feel good.  I would rather postpone surgery until the winter months when there is little going on.     
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: