Shore fishing (not catching) Presque Isle

Author
pgh_flytier
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 249
  • Reward points: 0
2014/09/04 07:46:57 (permalink)

Shore fishing (not catching) Presque Isle

Took a ride up to Presque Isle yesterday with the fishing poles and bike. Fished all morning and then in the later afternoon, after the bike ride. At best I got two hits, but I'm not even positive about that.  One clue that the fishing was not good from shore might be the absence of other anglers. So far fishing late summer/early fall is a mystery to me. I know the bass must be somewhere, and eating something, but the only information I can provide is what not to do. Don't fish in the same places using the same baits as in the spring. Even my super deadly power worm rig failed to get a response.
  • Between the bike ride and my time sitting by the water I did get a chance to appreciate the absolute beauty of Presque Isle and surroundings. It is really an amazing gift of nature and was much appreciated (but catching at least one fish wouldn't hurt).

2 Replies Related Threads

dakota kid
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re: Shore fishing (not catching) Presque Isle 2014/09/04 09:22:34 (permalink)
    I was also shore fishing with no luck. The other anglers present also had no luck. The water was green with algae. It looks like there may be an algae bloom beginning. The fish bug out when that happens. 
    wxfisherman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Shore fishing (not catching) Presque Isle 2014/09/10 22:15:24 (permalink)
    I fish from shore and I've never had a great trip to PI during late summer/early fall. I've caught the occasional bass while fishing poppers in Misery Bay and in Thompson's Bay but I rarely try anymore (except for just fishing poppers for sunnies).

For me the best shore fishing options in late summer/early fall is early AM and PM fishing the stream mouths. Never forget, the state record brown trout was taken July 4th of the wall at Walnut!

http://fishandboat.com/images/staterecord/trout_brown/00record_browntrout.htm

Jump to: