HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 12:23:30 (permalink)
Heck I would love a compromise of fly-fishing only and C&R on all the minor tribs. This would increase repo on some god spawning ground. To include all the ones up north incluing north and south sc's, all the SR tribs of course , and do not forget the little salmon. They could leave Oswego, the S R and the Black alone.  Personally I would not mind the SR ones CLOSED PERIOD, BUT THAT is another story.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 12:34:57 (permalink)
Clint- one of those little tribs is a big reason I bought up there- its my favorite stream in the world-yea they pound it, but early and late its MINE .  Wellll, Fran Verdolova showed up one day late  this past Spring, but generally MINE. In the 'olden days' hardly anybody else fished it- since the floods it seems to have been 'discovered'.(shops tellin too many guys to go there they said)

Hey- gotta be careful bout what ya wish for sometimes-
    An Uncle went to Alaska on a self guided trip staying a Military bases and fishing around for a while. Looked forward to a fly fishing only river in the woods and when he finally got there it was fulla guys with spinning gear. Seems they fish just like at the ballpark but instead of sponge they follow the Alaska fly fishing only regs and put on a fly.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 13:36:40 (permalink)
Love it

wishin i was fishin
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 18:59:26 (permalink)
Thanks r3.
Eloquence is my jam.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/21 20:36:39 (permalink)
Well I found out today I am #176 on the list. I  put in 2 to 3 years ago. Don't think I will front that kind of coin, but it will give a good idea of how many leave when I get the call. They also said I am welcome to come any time I want for a "non fishing" comp pass.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/21 20:56:17 (permalink)
Way back after the free for all down there and then the close ..
When they became a pay to play there were comp fishing passes given out to the various shops and lodges.. It may have been a "lure" to get one hooked on the exclusive water .. Must say that after getting a few freebies to the exclusive water (after the free for alls) I got hooked and bought in..
I would say to take them up on the offer Clint for sure but keep an open mind as how things will progress in the future.. They progressed me right outta the exclusive club a few years ago

P.S.
Just noticed:
Water is going DOWN to 335 by sat.. That will reviel fish for sure and I'd guess start their "better" reports..
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/08/21 20:58:29

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/21 21:14:36 (permalink)
Jim Rusher gave me his DSR pass a time or two- was real nice of him..
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/21 21:21:37 (permalink)
Yea they ain't that nice anymore walking passes only.  I would love a free day of fishing down there and would take them up, even after silly season.  A nonfishing pass is still better than a kick in the **** with a lead boot. Hell I got nothing better  to do right?  At that much and going up steady I think I  am priced out though. That's more money than I spend all year on fishing usually even with a trip to Québec mixed in.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/21 21:50:38 (permalink)
for sure take a walk or 2 down when the fish are really commin.. If you follow the trail (north bank going west,down stream) take a look at the flats.. It's mostly pocket water and one of my fav spots for salmon.. Of course you could stand on the hill above the Joss and watch the salmon /slayers swirl in the joss hole to get an idea of what goes on there too.
Another great venture is to go east(up river) towards the glide..
You will come to an impasse with a bench to sit and watch.. That is also good water to fish 

twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 02:45:29 (permalink)
Trev I used to get to use Jim's pass alot and Mojo's but finally Fred busted me fishing on Moosie's pass.
Turns out it was supposed to be the guide's pass only that they got along with 2 client passes.
Told him I would never do it again and didn't.

Or were you talking about the shops 2 passes?
Those anybody could use.
Supposed to be for lodgers but .
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 07:33:12 (permalink)
I still have the free pass Fred gave us when they closed early due to high winds, after we had already made the death march down to the meadow.  Now that it is worth some real coin, might have to put it out there on E-Bay.

A positive side to these lemons is that if they keep raising prices and lowering numbers, pretty soon a lot more fish are coming through unmolested.  Of course, then they hiot the rumba line at the Little Black!

L13 
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 08:49:50 (permalink)
Shop pass 2B- stayed there for years.
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 12:39:09 (permalink)
Clint, if I understand correctly, they have opened up 100 more season pass slots and they are sending 10 invites out at a time with a time limit... As time goes on they will keep moving down the line so ya never know... If people reject at a 40% or so rate ahead of you in line you may get the call. Let me know if you take the non fishing pass up and bring your nephew...
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 12:41:05 (permalink)
Lucky, you pointed out exactly what I've thought... More fish...less molested fish... No kill for trout... Equals more fish up river. Apparently they seem to portray that they will be instilling better fish care and appreciation to anglers as well.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 13:36:21 (permalink)
Maybe that appreciation includes wine and cheese served outta the big top / picnic table on south shore back side island above the spring hole ?? Just kiddin.
If I do however lose any spin docs on fish out there this weekend I hope your kind enough to return them. I plan on molesting a lot of fish . Lol

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 14:05:26 (permalink)
I just keep thinking is 750$ worth it and how soon before it goes up again. Now if the 750$ included the summer I would think about it harder.  My car is paid off now so...............   75$ a month..........
Andy how many times do you get up there per season. I would see me going at least a few days after work and both days on the weekend. In my mind at least 20 trips to make it worth it. 2 or 3 trips when they were coming in good would probably satisfy my itch and cost a bunch less. The e mail I got said they will start calling about new passes next June. If you get the word let me know and I will see if he wants to go. Football is until  230 to 800 every night Monday through Saturday   (wow they practice alot) so Sunday is his only free day.  AM may work , but as every other teen he sleeps in late. I can't blame him, he takes care of all my crap and goes to football......

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 14:37:16 (permalink)
Honestly Clint , unless your nuts over the salmon I don't think it's gonna be a benefit for you. During salmon season i would spend a min 30 days down there so it was worth it having clients. Once November rolls in it gets very tough down there and you will find the steelhead fishing much better upstream . When I was a pass holder I did far more steelhead upstream .
Another consideration is there are many days when they might just not even allow anglers due to high water or slush.
It's a tough choice if you get the call and only yours to make .

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 15:20:33 (permalink)
Yea Rich you are confirming my thoughts and no I am not nuts about the salmon. Honestly 1 good day would be enough, just want a good shot at some fresh ones once or twice.   I now think I would be better off dropping for a day pass if I knew there was a run pushing and then I would want to fish all day not a few hours.  My passion is the steel and from what I know most blow through there to follow the salmon upstream. There also is the part where I don't want to pay to play and endorse it, but it's like McDonald's. I know it
S bad for me but once or twice a year I have to eat there because I crave the grease. The extra coin will sure go far toward our next cruise vacation too. We have decided to take the nephew because he helped me this summer. Could be the only time he would get to go.

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 17:22:57 (permalink)
'bout same for me. Too much for too little. Though the sharks are fun, more than a week would start being repetitive. I might  pay once, but after that stick to upriver.  I've caught a number of pure chrome fish in the UFZ, so I ain't worried about fresh steel.  Mid-river has plenty. For myself, the challenge of landing chromers is much harder than sharks and those are readily available in the free zones. 
  There's a fellow  that was looking for a spool for an older Orvis reel. I had one, so I sent him it for free, as I had no need for it. He was very grateful and offered  a day at the DSR  to give me some sort of pay back . I then saw a post where he mocked some old fellows spin fishing in a river close to me.  Of course, he , with his several grand in gear, caught more stocked fish than they. I happen to know the old fellows, who are VFW members  that  help with the stocking on this stretch of river , and have implored and petitioned the state to continue the stocking. Without them Mr. Fancy Gore-Tex Pants would have rose some chubs, maybe. Last he asked me about going to the DSR with him , I told him pizz off.  He's a  big advocate of rotating pools.
I'm a big fan of taking turns netting fish   with good people. Geez, Clint actually fell on slippery bowling balls trying to get a steel in the net for me.  I owe  netting you a good one this year, Clint. Dam right I'll try my best. 
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/22 18:28:04 (permalink)
I am sure we will get a few this year Charlie.
I think back to last year mid river on a Wednesday. I fished all day. Had a pretty good day with 4 or 5 hook ups and I think a king and a ho to the bank. Don't think I wanted to go back for a few weeks after that. I was just spent chasing them up and down.

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/23 09:26:25 (permalink)
Clint.... I've had years where I went just about every weekend from end of august til mid November with many long weekends (grade and highschool vacations and breaks when I was younger).Coupled with many winter trips..so I've always made the pass worth its while to me. Last year I probably had close to 15 days under my belt down there by September 7th or so.. By no means would I try to push anything on you. For steel... I've had my best steelhead days down there with the best ever being middle December on a beautiful day after a hard front came through...rj is correct in the weather getting tough down there but steelhead fishing can be great down there.

If you want to dabble with a daily pass I'll keep close touch with you and let you know when... And it may be way sooner than later at this point...

As for wealthy folks and snobbery, that's everywhere and I've known plenty of snobs who were fad from wealthy... Im far from wealthy and my blue collar is often brown from sweat and dirt:) but i love fishing down there.There are plenty of average joes that I've met through the years down there and many I see annually for years... It is what it is.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/23 10:30:21 (permalink)
Remember DB I am out of the game at least until October, but keep me in the loop anyway. If the nephew is free or I just may come down and watch.

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/25 23:18:47 (permalink)
Hey--the Farm just downriver from DSR parking lot is selling bout 26 acres with 845 ft of river frontage-oooopps---uh ohhh
 Could be another Jailhouse coming- lol. ( by the way they looked like an empty jailhouse this weekend- crime must be down)

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/26 07:04:04 (permalink)
I assume the DSR had leased the  access rights, they might have to pony the money up to buy it outright. If they don't- they just reduced the number of fishermen . Coincidence?  If someone else jumps in and forks out the cash (a high number, I bet)  There may be a competing concern right in the midst of the DSR. I imagine there's lots of politics going on right now.  The way the law reads, you also need to control the property on both banks of the river to maintain the ownership of the river bottom. In theory if someone else buys that piece of  bank you could bring your drift boat down and anchor there, or get out and wade. I smell the brains of lawyers boiling..... Unfortunately, as Trev suggested, it's likely to end up more exclusionary, than less.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/26 10:23:29 (permalink)
The first thing that came to my puny little brain was downriver access to DSR customers if this parcel goes to another entity. Since it looks ( making a straight line on a putor overview) like the low end of the Joss hole is around the line ( hope I got that  hole name right).. Might think any DSR lease is over  ( likely with a ownership change) because the for sale sign on the lot is clearly making the river footage a selling point.
The trail on  that side through the property is heavily used, as I recall.
 Also heard a rumor of about $750,000.Thats  lot for twenty something acres if it didn't include the fishing rights.
 IMHO it might seem that one is trying to make someone 'pony up' for the lot which would be a real game changer for many  DSR  customers.
Betcha ( Palinism) the sign is down pretty soon.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/08/26 10:24:47
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/26 11:05:14 (permalink)
OH NO where would chart head fish?!?!?!

wishin i was fishin
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/26 16:49:09 (permalink)
I had heard a rumor about a month ago that Douglaston bought that parcel from joss farm for a million... Then just recently I saw the for sale sign... Who knows what's going on???

Charlie, I never knew the law stated that. I always thought that it was just a farse and misinforming concept spawned from uninformed chatter... To my knowledge there is plenty of private ownership of o e side as long as property line ascends in to the river. Even Douglaston only owns one side from the tail of the black upstream on the south bank. To my knowledge it is private... How about salmon acres and surrounding parcels??? But heck, maybe I am misinformed :)
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/26 18:02:00 (permalink)
Wouldn't it be an upset if the state stepped in and bought the farm lot for PFR and even out in a parking lot.
I know- I know- aint gonna happen but just a dream   LOL.

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/26 18:09:27 (permalink)
That law is in operation on all the trout streams in my area. It's been battled over in my area, too. As long as the land is owned or LEASED on both sides, the entire  river bottom is controlled.  Maybe in the case of the SR, separate and specific laws have been enacted. Certainly the 1997 appelate reversal was groundbreaking in destroying state's, and by extension, the public's  access rights on all rivers deemed navigable.  If you think I'm spawning uninformed chatter, and promoting a farce that's OK. However, it's my understanding of the overall law, which I learned from taking care of properties on the Battenkill. You're the local, do the research and find the right answer. I'm not that bright. But I'm not a dum-azz , either.
http://www.adirondack-park.net/issues/river.rights-salmon.html
If they don't have ownership of a stretch of river bank and bottom, I think they would have to allow fishing access via driftboat as a de facto result. The waterway is still considered navigable and by the law fought for by the Barclay family, is only to be used for that purpose. However; if the ownership of the river bottom is not in their control, they can't specifically prevent someone from anchoring there. It will be up to the new owners to decide the fate of that stretch.  If the Tailwater Lodge owned the North Bank, they could invoke the same law. Since they don't-they can't. I don't have a horse in this race, so what happens with the DSR is not worth me giving a dam about. I'd be worried if I were in your shoes, Andy, at least a little concerned.

post edited by fichy - 2014/08/26 18:54:02
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/26 18:46:40 (permalink)
Charlie that's what I thought too, but I am the most uniformed of the bunch. I think that's why the jail "said"
they will not stop boats front anchoring on their ide because they can't.
Now if I only could talk my wife into letting me cash in all our retirement accounts and mortgage the house up to the hilt for the down payment.....................

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to: