Shenango Dam Outflow

Author
afroninja1093
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2014/08/22 18:20:52 (permalink)

Shenango Dam Outflow

Went fishing at the Shenango Dam outflow a few weeks ago. All 7 water gates were open and i caught nothing, i could never get my bait in the right spot. Is it safe to say that if all the gates are open its almost impossible to fish there? 

5 Replies Related Threads

SteelCityAngler
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    Re: Shenango Dam Outflow 2014/08/22 19:25:33 (permalink)
    I fished all 7 gates at 1ft each last Friday. You can fish, but personally I prefer less than 7 at 1ft each. FYI, 3 gates at 2 ft or 7 at 1.5 ft then I consider that ripping. On a side note, Shenango has been a little slow in catch rates this year for me. Anyone else?
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    Re: Shenango Dam Outflow 2014/08/22 22:36:10 (permalink)
    Call this # for dam flow reports:
    724 962-4384 

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    Re: Shenango Dam Outflow 2014/08/23 09:37:07 (permalink)
    23 August - The Clark boat launch is closed due to high water, and the west and east ends of Golden Run (including the boat launch) are closed. The lake elevation is at 899.11, about 4 1/2 feet above summer pool. Gates 1, 3, 5, and 7 are open to 1.25 feet each at the dam, and the outflow water depth is 4.28 feet. In the last 24 hours, the lake level has risen by 1.67 feet. There was 0.03 inches of precip in the last 24 hours, and the river depth at Transfer is 4.69 feet. The 8 am air temp was 73 and the water temp was 70. Remember to watch for floating debris and submerged objects while boating today, and wear your life jacket!

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Shenango Dam Outflow 2014/08/23 11:54:32 (permalink)
    Thanks mikastorm....... looks like Pymy or Wil........ Wilh........ WILHELMmmmm????........ D@mn, did I say that????
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re: Shenango Dam Outflow 2014/08/23 18:13:13 (permalink)
    I've had good days with all 7 open, but it's not that enjoyable to me. Especially when the wind is blowing the mist into your face and sunglasses. If I'm in desperate need to wet a line I'll fish it when all 7 are pumping but most of the time I'll head elsewhere.

SteelCityAngler
    On a side note, Shenango has been a little slow in catch rates this year for me. Anyone else?

For me as well this summer. I've caught a handful of fish(the usual variety.....cats, whites, panfish, smalllies, eyes, etc.) most times but I had to work for them. No really good days. Just a crazy year....

Now on the other hand the trout fishing was great there this spring. Dry fly action wasn't great(I'm blaming the crazy weather) but other than that it was a good year. All the high water saved a ton of fish from getting killed by the rope up everything crowd.........    Honestly, if they had better regs(like C&R from Oct to beginning-mid June, then a free for all after that) and maybe added it to the winter stockings again it could be a quality trout fishery. The river certainly has the forage base to support it......and those fish are healthy too. Plus, the more trout there are, the happier the pike, muskies, and flatheads will be   This goes for all species as well IMO. It's a great fishery(well known......no spot burning here) but it has the potential to be better.

post edited by troutguy - 2014/08/23 18:15:20
    Jump to: