Where have all the smallies gone?

Author
skeelol
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 75
  • Reward points: 0
2014/07/15 12:28:20 (permalink)

Where have all the smallies gone?

Been out every single day since the full moon and haven't hooked, nor even spotted a single smallie. Hit the Yough @ Cedar Creek saturday, nada. Yough @ Buena Vista sunday, dinky little Sauger and that was it. Been fishin the Mon every day as well and nothing but a weenie little spotted bass pokin at my Zoom fluke. 

Friend of mine destroyed them at the Yough on Saturday, a 21" hog even. Sunday I fished exactly how he recommended, fast reel + jerk. Granted the Yough hates me for some reason, I'm still quite surprised I haven't pulled anything out of the Mon in the past week. I've been tryin it all...have had the best luck with tubes this season, but tried everything from soft baits, spinner baits, spinners, jigs, swim baits, top waters, you name it. The majority says use fast reeling action this time of year because the fish are so lazy from the warmer water you gotta make em work for their food, but can't say this has been doing a thing. 

I'm under the impression that I'm just going where the smallies aren't, largely because I haven't spotted any...either top water activity nor follows. We all know what Obi Wan says about luck. 

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

19 Replies Related Threads

tanner12oz
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/07/15 20:51:54 (permalink)
    I got a monster on Saturday down from pittsburgh
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/07/16 11:28:31 (permalink)
    Does it have anything to do with the cold weather?
    Timachro
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1339
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/07/16 21:05:14 (permalink)
    Have you tried West Newton?

ridgehunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 627
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/07/17 20:23:01 (permalink)
    Fast reel + jerk isn't the only method to catch smallies on the Yough River this time of year.  Live leeches or black plastic worms is awesome for catching them right now.  Drifting or slow retrieve works the best.
    Try the Yough  near Jacob's creek.   
    Timachro
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1339
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/07/18 10:52:52 (permalink)
    I like to use tubes rigged texas style with a small bullet sinker.

tanner12oz
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/07/18 19:52:39 (permalink)
    I fish topwater almost exclusively for river smallmouth
    skeelol
    Novice Angler
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/07/22 22:17:16 (permalink)
    This cold front definitely had a lot to do with it, went up to NY and hit the Allegheny and not so much as a single bite between me and the pops. I finally snapped by slump down at the Mon today though. Thanks for the tips, I'm not giving up on the Yough.

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/07/29 00:40:58 (permalink)
    I live near the Yough Skeelol. A lot of guys are ****in that they are getting skunked on the Yough. Not sure whats up. You're not the only one.
    graveydavey
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/07/30 08:33:10 (permalink)
    Last two boat trips on the Ohio, no smallies or white bass. More walleye than anything else, kinda surprising.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9659
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/08/07 16:03:48 (permalink)
    Anyone happen to be doing any better on the smallmouth in the Yough?  Debating on where to fish this weekend.  This time of the year is usually a pretty good bet for Yough smallmouth to cooperate.

I couldn't keep the channel cats off of the line last week at Arthur.  I don't usually fish for channels and usually not a fan of catching them when targetting other species, but it was entertaining.
    wolfie770
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/08/07 19:54:24 (permalink)
    Caught five in two hours near Connellsville.  Small shallow crankbait.

Brent78
    New Angler
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/08/19 11:17:39 (permalink)
    Anyone been on the Mon near Pittsburgh lately for smallmouths?  I recently bought a kayak and have been looking for opportunities to use it.  I'm considering fishing along the shore near the Duck Hollow access when I get a few hours to spare.

Brent
    skeelol
    Novice Angler
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/08/22 04:39:52 (permalink)
    Mon has been absolutely terrible this summer for smallies, just not producing and I've heard this from multiple people. I'll still catch a few here and there but nothing of size like I caught in the spring. Givin the Yough another shot this weekend, hopin for the best cuz the smallies sure ain't in the city.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/08/22 08:49:51 (permalink)
    skeelol -
    Have you noticed a ton of baby shad around?  I know years they are in large numbers, fishing is tough.  I'd guess that it is pretty hard to even know if they are in large numbers this year, with how much rain, and water likely being constantly stained.

Brent -
    With how much rain we have been getting, I'd personally avoid "Turd Hollow" in a kayak.  That CSO pipe down there, releases on about any rain.  I'd assume the water down there is filled with raw sewage on a weekly basis this Summer.  It will clear in a few days if the river is high and moving, but sits there if the river is at moderate flow.  The placement of that pipe was pretty bad design, with the creek sandbar being right down stream, and keeping a lot of that stuff from being able to wash out.  South Side isn't much better with multiple pipes, but they seem to need a larger rain to overflow.  The short lasting heavy downpours like we have been getting lately are the worse.  Too much for the pipes to handle, but not enough to get the rivers high enough to clear.  You might be able to launch across the river, although haven't been there in a while.  In between the Courtyard and entrance to the Costco gas pumps, is a trail down to the river.  There's a small creek down there, not sure where it comes from, or if any nasty stuff in it from high water.  Might be worth checking out, if you are a Costco member or just down in the Waterfront for any reason.  The last time I checked it out, it was chained off, but I didn't see any no trespassing signs, so guessing just don't want cars down there.  I'd verify with the Costco gas station if you can park there.
    Brent78
    New Angler
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/08/22 09:37:58 (permalink)
    skeelol,
    Thanks for the report, that's disappointing to hear about the smallies.  Hopefully it's just a bad year and not a general trend.

Porktown,
    Good point about the CSOs, I was thinking about that too since my last post.  Thanks for the suggestion about the Waterfront too, I'm down there a lot and might take a look sometime.  I think I'll avoid the Mon altogether until we get some dry weather.  Usually that's not such a problem in August, it's been a weird summer.  I'll probably just wait til next weekend and take the kayak out on a lake.
    skeelol
    Novice Angler
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/08/23 21:11:33 (permalink)
    Porktown
    skeelol -
    Have you noticed a ton of baby shad around?  I know years they are in large numbers, fishing is tough.  I'd guess that it is pretty hard to even know if they are in large numbers this year, with how much rain, and water likely being constantly stained.

Yes, the schools start poppin up this time of year in the Mon, can't say that I've seen anymore than last year. I did see a smallie peckin at a school a couple weeks ago...I'm guessing the fishing is worse with all the shad because it's pretty much an open buffet for the fish and they don't care for much else?

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/08/25 08:55:57 (permalink)
    That's my theory.  Some years, they are everywhere.  The year of the Bassmaster's Classic, was one, and likely why their results weren't very good.  Just driving over any of the bridges, you could see 20-30 pods of baby shad skimming the surface, likely 100-200 in each pod.  During years like that, I could barely buy a bite on anything besides a live shad.  It is fun watching fish bust into them. 
    PAJAY
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/08/29 19:04:07 (permalink)
    I grew up on the yough this has been a terrible year for smallies I see some caught but nothing like last year . I got limit of walleye all legal put them all back for next weekend haven't hooked another since . I blame the 10,000 canoes ! I only use double jointed shad raps  
    SmallieKiller
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re: Where have all the smallies gone? 2014/09/08 00:23:10 (permalink)
    Heading out in the morning to give the Yough a try, nothing major, just killing a few hours on a monday morning before night shift.  I'll give you guys an update if I can.  Not feeling very confident after reading this tonight though!
    Jump to: