Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2014/08/17 14:57:33 (permalink)

The Trip, Report

so here is a rundown on the 9 day trip that never was.
Day 1- sat
We got set up at camp around noon, many conversations transpired as to when we would head out on the great lake and finally all came together around 2 pm..
GREAT time sharing stories, food and I think a first time swim of the year was had by fellow brother db..  Rob  and all the crew members enjoyed the depths of 200 fow and what Lake Ontario had to offer but alas the rods were idle..

Day 2- sun .. One member felt like sleeping in after a long night and we waited all we could then finally set sail with out him.
Meeting up with brother Andrew we set off out of mexico straight to that golden mark of 200fow..
Troll, troll we did and finally the dipsy rod acted funny. Yea it was hooked up but not pulling back.. After just reeling the line in a small 25' steelhead was seen connected.. I really wanted to release this fish but it would have been a floater as it was hooked bad.. All was put to good use as 1/2 was sent to a brother and the other for dinner.. Must say, I didn't care for it myself, give me greasy beer battered perch or bluegill instead.

Day 3-mon
Another member of the gang showed up and we set sail around 10am. Lake played nice so we decided to try a new spot.. Pine grove was the launch, out in front of SR in 160 fow was the place.. Nadda, not even a jingle or mark on the fish finder.. Doing what we do best it was time for a swim and start the grill.. After that we started up again but noticed the riggers were sluggish and the volt meter was getting low.. HUMMM.. Chief engineer said we should head back but I figured it might be awhile before we get back out due to weather.. The slow troll in produced NOTHING.. Off we went shopping for a new battery (1 of-2) and tested the alt with a meter loaned from the camp staff..
Day 3-tues
Oh the wind & Rain !! It sucked bad.. Real bad but the company, tunes and food were great so we hunkered down hoping things would improve.
Day 4- weds
Slept later the normal and awoke to more WIND with high seas.. Decided to have breakfast then scout the area.. Don't know what happened but I felt VERY Ill.. Like pass out stuff..
The guys were great and everyone was making the best of things, horseshoes, ping pong and such.. By evening the weather showed NO improvement and I made the call that I wasn't sticking around for another 4 days land locked.. We would evaluate the situation in the am..
Well just before dark the wind became crazy, tents & EZ ups were being thrown across the campgrounds all aroud so the decision was pretty evident that we were outta there in the AM..
Day 5-thurs
Woke up, packed up and home I am..

It's tough planning something then having the weather take you for a ride, alas L-13.. I'm totally committed to heading back for redemption and hope that conditions will allow us to meet the goals we set when I bought this tub of a boat.. If not, there is always next year :)

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

36 Replies Related Threads

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 15:32:32 (permalink)
    Sounds like you had some good times, and you could cut your losses without major financial ruin.  But there is not much to do around there when the weather goes south, at least in the daks, you can find a pond or a brook, or catch a movie as a last resort.

L13
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 16:11:54 (permalink)
    HT,I don't know what your plans are for your next try but next week they are calling for thunder wed thru fri and the temps are not going above 80 F,the winds will be light from the SSE.With the exception of possible thunder that does n't sound bad at all.Also the river will be running at 750+ for the early part so maybe the bank fishing will turn on.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 16:13:10 (permalink)
    Good story Tuna too bad about the weather and as for the greasey beer battered perch and gills......... I know your right!!
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 17:40:30 (permalink)
    Them Omega 3 oils must make fish taste like ****, perch and gills are relatively low in them, apparently.  Getting blown out happens, the memories stay despite the weather.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 19:22:21 (permalink)
    True that to all. It's the memories of the adventure that stand the test of time.
    We are already looking towards next weekend. SSE are great for boating . Wicked witch of the west are BAD..
    If the lake turns west then we will take the Daisy Mae to the great ADK's of the north, at least there I feel comfortable.
    Labor Day weekend I have a home stead party planed , work, swim and listen to Jorma who will be in town .
    More to be reviled ..

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3706
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 19:25:03 (permalink)
    Funny because my wife LOVED the 2 I kept last year and the one was a droppie. I would guess the ones from the lake would be even better. Wished I would of felt better, but along with the cool, crappie, rainy weather I did not feel well, lots of pain. Would of loved just to come up and hang.  At least there were good times had as that is all that really counts.  RJ I hope you got the charging issue fixed and get out a few more times. If you ever need tools or what not you got my number.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 19:34:19 (permalink)
    Funny everyone mentions memories. I read an article/study about what folks should spend their money on. Material things or vacations or trips (activities that make good memories). The article/study stated that activities that make memories will give more people greater satisfaction even years down the road. It stated that the brain saves the best memories and you can recall them and feel good even years down the road, the brain actually releases chemicals to give You that feel good feeling.   Where material things even though you can hold them years down the road do elicit the same reactions.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 19:53:37 (permalink)
    Clint thanks for the offer of support. It's always key to have friends in high places , or low places as I like to refer .
    Chief engenieer stopped by today for a diagosass and the culprit was a bad ground to battery # 2. Main battery was charging fine and we fixed the issue. Problem solved.
    I have a fluke volt / amp meter that will become part of the on board tool kit .
    Boat .. Break out another thousand but gotta say , it's a hell of a ride :)

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 20:10:49 (permalink)
    I find that Harbor freight tools work well to make kits like that. Volt meter at like $5. Can't barely buy a new battery for that. If it gets wet and ruined you are only out that $5. Learned when I kept a nice expensive Fluke meter on my old Starcraft , guess I did not have dry storage and the meter was toasted. 

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 20:23:52 (permalink)
    Agreed !! My meter is over 2 bills. If it got trashed I'd be pizzed. We got a harbor freight store close by and I think I need to visit them. My engenieer has givin me great advise on must have items and make sure they are disposable .
    Thanks for the advise !!!!

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/17 20:55:15 (permalink)
    The lakers (5) and brown (1) that my daughter and her boyfriend kept from my most recent trip made for a few tasty meals.  I prefer eating trout over salmon because of a milder taste. Baked with a little white wine, fresh lemon juice, butter, paprika and salt & pepper and you have a plate that would cost $20+ dollars in a local establishment.

HT, glad you identified the problem, good luck on your next venture.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/20 20:36:01 (permalink)
    Just catching up (barely...lol)... Awesome time was had tuna with all of the gang! We had the steelhead two days later and it was absolutely delicious... I do agree that its better than the salmon as clint and gerry mentioned. ... And yes, it is one hell of a ride!!! Hope to get one more in before the weather completely caves!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/21 07:30:44 (permalink)
    The weather is looking great for this weekend . I got to much invested in the game to give up right now so the ride will continue. We may just enter the LOC because IMO it's just a luck tourney that could pay back huge. I'm sure there will be a lot more boats out then have been due to that but hey it's a BIG lake.
    Gonna launch outta pine grove, you know the place and the boat , give me a shout if you want to join the ride db. We are going to hell in a bucket but at least we'll enjoy the ride :)
    Another possible is weekend after Labor Day then I might make a trip to the adk's before I put her to bed for the winter .

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/22 07:39:42 (permalink)
    HT,

If you are entering the LOC, make sure you read the rules carefully. They used to require everyone on board to be registered, and a lot of big fish holders have been disqualified in the past because one or more people on the boat (even non-fishing observers) had not paid up.

L13 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/22 07:47:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads up L. I got the one about everyone on board but the one that confuses me is that you must register before 7am and prior to fishing. Does that mean if I get to town around noon and register then any fish caught that day don't count ? Questions I will have to ask before we get in on it.

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/22 15:39:37 (permalink)
    Pretty sure that's what it means Tunes.
    That is so people don't go out grapple a pig  come in register then go back out and bring in the honker for the $$$$$.
    People will  do lots of dirty for much less.
    Guy tried to win the Naples derby one opening day by bringing in a LO fish.

Back in the days when steelhead would win L13 and I watched a guy climb a tree to spot big ones for his buddy to snag.
    Lotta  crazy greedy aswipes and look at me types out there.

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/22 16:19:59 (permalink)
    Knock them dead Tuna. 
    I hope to get some reel time in Narragansett next week.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/22 17:42:26 (permalink)
    Good luck, RJ. Hope some hit the deck.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/22 18:33:55 (permalink)
    Thanks guys. Weather/ waves look ideal, lets hope the fish want to play .
    Boat is Packed and stacked.
    I got the details on the LOC and reason for 7 am register is so folks don't decide to go fishing and get skunked without registering , also the flip side go out catch fish then decide to register aka , skam the system.
    We will probably just fish tomorrow and if the bite is on then just do a 1 day for Sunday $15.00.
    I could use $25,000 ..it's all luck out there IMO
    Also see that property has become a buyers market again. Maybe Santa will be nice to this bad boy

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/22 19:57:57 (permalink)
    That 25k would make a good down payment. Go get em

cpswing
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/22 23:17:39 (permalink)
    gONNA HIT THE LAKE FOR ONLY THE SECONS TIME EVER ON NEXT FRIDAY. Sorry for the caps, I have to look at the buttons to type. Good thing I'm a teacher. lol.  Try stuffing the steel or brown with some lump crab meat, butter, garlic, and old bay, alt pepper and some lemon juice
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/23 05:09:07 (permalink)
    Good luck cp, Just leaving home now and heading to the Great Lake 0
    Hope to give some good news reports later today :)

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/23 08:32:04 (permalink)
    Seen a few posts  by some charters  on FB and action seems to be getting a bit better. Hope it does the same for you guys.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/23 09:19:24 (permalink)
    Lets hope so. Just hit pulaska and stocking up.
    Let the games begin

dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/23 10:12:52 (permalink)
    Yard work for me tuna... Go get em bud!!! And thanks for the offer. Would've loved to join you guys...
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/23 10:28:02 (permalink)
    If it was not for this **** neck I would be begging if there was an open seat.

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/23 12:35:10 (permalink)
    I'm in Ohio....don't think I can make it!
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/24 11:10:57 (permalink)
    Looks like RJ has some beautiful weather for today.........

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: The Trip, Report 2014/08/24 17:08:53 (permalink)
    A few hit the deck this weekend . Just leaving pulaska . Pics coming

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: