Virgin Run & Greenlick

Author
tigercat
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 196
  • Reward points: 0
2014/08/17 20:14:03 (permalink)

Virgin Run & Greenlick

I was out trying to catch some Bluegills Friday and I was shocked at what I saw at Greenlick and Virgin Run. Where did all the water go? Some guy sitting in his car at Virgin Run told me they are taking water for the gas well fracking. I heard the same for Greenlick before but I knew they had issues with some valve or something letting out too much water. Donegal is down and if you have a half size boat you cannot launch without busting something. I have 2 Transducers an Outboard and a trolling motor on the back and trolling motor on the front. I would have broke something trying to launch there. What is going on????

8 Replies Related Threads

registered
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re: Virgin Run & Greenlick 2014/08/21 06:40:17 (permalink)
    Haven't been to Virgin Run this year but the last few summers the fish commission drew the water way down to try to control the vegetation.
    We've had plenty of rain so something's up?
    Took a hike up at Dunlap Lake last week. Didn't fish. Big gas line project going on near the lake.
    Water level is normal.
    tigercat
    Avid Angler
    Re: Virgin Run & Greenlick 2014/08/21 09:58:15 (permalink)
    registered
    Haven't been to Virgin Run this year but the last few summers the fish commission drew the water way down to try to control the vegetation.We've had plenty of rain so something's up?Took a hike up at Dunlap Lake last week. Didn't fish. Big gas line project going on near the lake.Water level is normal.

I never really fished for Bluegills at Dunlap. Don't know the lake too well. Probably start at the launch a find my way around. I know they stock Trout and have big Bass.
    registered
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    Re: Virgin Run & Greenlick 2014/08/22 08:10:18 (permalink)
    tigercat
    registered
    Haven't been to Virgin Run this year but the last few summers the fish commission drew the water way down to try to control the vegetation.We've had plenty of rain so something's up?Took a hike up at Dunlap Lake last week. Didn't fish. Big gas line project going on near the lake.Water level is normal.

I never really fished for Bluegills at Dunlap. Don't know the lake too well. Probably start at the launch a find my way around. I know they stock Trout and have big Bass.

Never caught any big bluegill at Dunlap. Most times I fished for them was with a fly rod and top water bug. Seems like the smallest ones hit.
    They stocked crappie years ago but they never seemed to get very big. Most fishermen chase the stocked trout. Few bass fishermen.   
    tigercat
    Avid Angler
    Re: Virgin Run & Greenlick 2014/08/22 16:04:01 (permalink)
    Yea I've only been there on Trout season. It gets a lot of pressure.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Virgin Run & Greenlick 2014/08/25 15:21:06 (permalink)
    To-day,I talked to Rick Larson,the PF&BC regional manager for the Southwest area about which lakes in our area they are going to drawdown this year. He told me that only Cranberry Glade is to be lowered for weed control.They have not drawn down any other lake yet including Virgin Run.The problem with Greenlick is with a faulty drain valve which was to be fixed by now,but wasn't. A friend of mine that lives near Lake Donegal said that they had much less rainfall than other areas this spring & summer,that is what he thinks the prob. is with Lake Donegal. Also I asked him what area waters they were going to survey this coming year,he said they make up a list in the winter,so there is no info yet.  sam
    tigercat
    Avid Angler
    Re: Virgin Run & Greenlick 2014/08/25 17:11:17 (permalink)
    mr.crappie
    To-day,I talked to Rick Larson,the PF&BC regional manager for the Southwest area about which lakes in our area they are going to drawdown this year. He told me that only Cranberry Glade is to be lowered for weed control.They have not drawn down any other lake yet including Virgin Run.The problem with Greenlick is with a faulty drain valve which was to be fixed by now,but wasn't. A friend of mine that lives near Lake Donegal said that they had much less rainfall than other areas this spring & summer,that is what he thinks the prob. is with Lake Donegal. Also I asked him what area waters they were going to survey this coming year,he said they make up a list in the winter,so there is no info yet.  sam

Thank Sam! I guess they didn't have an excuse why the drain hasn't been fixed. How's the Bluegill activity? Wanting to head out tomorrow but still banging my head on where to go.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    Re: Virgin Run & Greenlick 2014/08/25 19:42:25 (permalink)
    We have been catching small gills & Crappie most places we have been to,but very few big ones. Can't find them at normal depths, have been getting them on jigs & meat approx.12"down.Usually we fish in the even. & from shore. You won't get many from the couch.  sam
    tigercat
    Avid Angler
    Re: Virgin Run & Greenlick 2014/08/25 19:53:51 (permalink)
    mr.crappie
    We have been catching small gills & Crappie most places we have been to,but very few big ones. Can't find them at normal depths, have been getting them on jigs & meat approx.12"down.Usually we fish in the even. & from shore. You won't get many from the couch.  sam

Lol! No couch here sam. We've been hitting High Point and the Yough Dam. Just
    Haven't been doing much locally. Really nice Bass up at High Point Sam. Not much shore fishing though. Just hop from cove to cove in the boat.
    Jump to: