spinner flies

Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/08/19 20:14:48 (permalink)

spinner flies

Anyone ever use something like this.  Legal in the zones????

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

24 Replies Related Threads

fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/19 20:36:01 (permalink)
    I've used those prop blades on smallmouth flies, they worked to some degree, but I didn't notice a large improvement.  Adding on the safety pin Colorado style blade did. The kind you use with Mr. Twisters or Beetle Spins.  Those props only work when you actually strip them or they are facing downstream, so they are not very effective, or not more effective than a flash added into the fly if you are swinging them.  Over the years and with LOTS of observation and trial, I've learned many ways to strip flies in to imitate different food sources. On the other hand, almost nobody uses stripping techniques with steelhead flies. They seem always to be on the dead drift or a swing with only mends and current to impart movement. One warm winter afternoon I had good luck stripping a crayfish fly in 6" jerks with pauses the way a cray usually flees. Noone was around to accuse me of trying to snag.  All I can say is, it's worth a try, Clint.  For the early aggressive steel it may make a difference, the same with droppies.  As long as the fly doesn't exceed 1/8th oz. with the blade, there should be no problem with it. The propellers don't weigh much, and with plastic beads you could keep it under the limit. Thanks for bringing it up. If it works, expect me to steal a few out of your box.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/19 21:30:57 (permalink)
    Did not tie them just saw a pic on another thread. Yea the Mr Twister ones would probably work on too. Will look up to AS to see if the have any there. Like you said can't hurt especially when nothing else is not working. My thought too on early and drops

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/19 21:47:16 (permalink)
    With out re reading the zone regs , I think adding the spinners/ propellers is a NO go

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/19 21:53:47 (permalink)
    Yep a no go, just checked the regs.     Outside the zones.................    Still may pick up a few to play with.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/19 21:57:53 (permalink)
    Nope my bad, looked it up. As long as its attached to the fly and not the leader/ tippet and over 1/8 you are good .

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/19 22:06:03 (permalink)
    Charlie gave a good description on how flies are used and fished .

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/19 22:07:40 (permalink)
    Ah on the line above the fly...........    Well still gonna check in on some. I know I have the Mr. twister kind that I think attach to the hook eye so they would be ok.

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/19 22:12:59 (permalink)
    The regs I read did n't address the metal added to the fly but I really think that spinner is now making the fly a spinner and not a fly,why not run it by your DEC neighbor?
    However the way I read the regs it is permissible to weight the fly and then add 1/8 ounce to your tippet if you wish.I believe a weighted fly is the lead wrapped onto hook,not hanging from it.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/19 23:13:00 (permalink)
    Ok I am out of work and bored so I looked up everything.
    Artificial fly
    Artificial fly means a hook with no more than two points dressed with feathers, hair, thread, tinsel or any similar material to which no additional hooks, spinners, spoons or similar devices have been added

Spinners are out in the zones

Weight

Between September 1 and April 30: the use of supplemental weight is permitted with the following restrictions.
    - The combined weight of any supplemental weight and fly may not exceed one-eighth of an ounce.

So technically an 1/8oz split AND a fly of any weight is over the limit, because it is a combined weight. From what I have seen though,  officers just look at the split shot on your line. If you got a little lead wrapped underneath it all they won't get the scales out.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 07:36:33 (permalink)
    The regs didn't leave much grey area  on that one. The one thing that they did miss is the fact that with those light weight propellers that are designed to be used on flies, would make you  less likely to be snagging. Better you're out there with your Spey rod,  4 lb. tippet and a sz. 20 merrily searching the bottom.  Sometimes I use tungsten putty. It's expensive, but it weighs almost  half again of lead, and  can be rolled on in a tapered small pencil that is very snag resistant.  In high water it works very well- heavy , but no resistance. I gotta get some lead, too!  The last I had, HT gave me, and they ended up helping with some early season walleyes on the Hudson.
    As we've all said before, Tin Sucks! 
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 08:26:30 (permalink)
    What kind of lead are you looking for Charlie? No problem finding lead where I live,I'll get some for you.
    fischnmachine
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 08:49:38 (permalink)
    My buddy swears by them.  Now I wouldn't say I swear by them, and to be honest I've only seen him hook and land one small salmon.  The wire that was used by his buddy who made them must have been a light gauge because the fish tore it up.  I know this is slightly off topic but I actually bought a couple of spinners from Finger lakes tackle co.  Now I've only used them a few times and truthfully didn't have much luck.  He's a good guy and for the lake guys it seems his main business is producing spoons for trolling, etc....
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 09:01:09 (permalink)
    Clint you gotta stop looking at that sight or at least take it for what it is.
    Anti Fishusa snagging board.

Machine spinners catch the heck out of steel at times.
    I'm sure he is selling single hook spinners but in case he didn't remember that is  the law much of the year at the SR.

Fichy the easiest way to do away with all snagging is to make only2/0 octopus hooks legal. Wink wink!

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 09:01:40 (permalink)
    Your right Clint . There are really two definitions for using a spinner or propeller on a fly. The one I looked at adresses mostly the river system below the zone ( not added to the line ) which I don't really understand why if its outta the zones.
    The one you posted is what my chitty memory recalled as to a definition of a fly ( in the zone ) . I know they adressed it when the bead craze hit. You are allowed to tie a bead into or onto the fly but not just slide it onto your leader/ tippet .
    I tied a few flies that were very effective by threading a small size 8 mm bead onto some stout line like 20# , tie a knot on the end so it don't slip off then tie in the other end onto the hook shank before building the fly. It's kind of an articulating effect.
    As to using lead- weight etc, I found very little need to use much weight at all and sometimes only a bead chain eyes for salmon. I like my flies big and swinging with larger profiles fished above or in straight line of sight of the salmon. Mostly I also like to fish for them in much different water ( sight fish is a more shallow broken water )
    For steelhead , if the water temps are condusive to them then a swinging streamer through the heads or tails of pools has been effictive for me. Once the grasp of winter sets in it basically has become a dead drift , low, slow and deep method. That is where the skill of the angler being able to abide within the 1/8 oz rule plays a larger part over the chuck and duck method. Some days it's impossible to fish the same place you would at 335 when its 750. The only aproach then is to use an Indi , aka bobber and work the insides of those areas as opposed to a spin guy who ( below the zone ) would just add more weight and dredge deeper.
    Lots of variables and learning how to read water come into play

fischnmachine
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 09:16:33 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reminder, I made sure to do my homework and the owner fishes various west and east tribs so he ensured I was compliant with the rules.  The spinners wereequipped with Siwash hooks.  I just need to fish them.  It's hard for me to give up on the roe or dare I say the word- beads.

post edited by fischnmachine - 2014/08/20 09:17:55
    troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 09:18:58 (permalink)
    I think the lynch pin, as with anything regarding enforcement, is the person you run into that particular day.  Interpretation and intent seem to go hand in hand.  A few years ago I had an encounter with a DEC officer above the Pineville ramp.  He called me to the bank after watching me fish a large streamer and insisted that it was not legal because it had too much weight.  I explained that the streamer had no added weight and that the materials (rabbit strips and sculpin wool along with eyes) used in its construction absorbed and held water giving it the appearance of weight.  I finally prevailed with my argument after nearly twenty minutes of conversation. 
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 09:47:45 (permalink)
    I had to get my regs book and show it to 2 officers because they wouldn't believe me when I told them that 4 foot max between hook and weight was the law and just about everyone fishing the lfz was breaking the law.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 09:55:45 (permalink)
       Jack, I could use 7's and bb's. Probably 3 small bags of each will last me a season or 2. You did that for me a couple of years ago and it was much appreciated. I'll get them when I see you on the river end of Sept.  Not only will I reimburse you, but I'll buy you dinner at the place of your choice.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 10:06:38 (permalink)
    Gerry is correct in the intent. I have seen it as whelp when it came to actual bobber aka float fishing.
    If you stagger the weight properly then your float will fish correctly but most likely no be in compliance with the regulation . Dec has watched guys fishing corectly but out of compliance without hassle . On the flip side I seen them give folks a talking to who were repeatedly lining fish with floats that may have been outside the regs.

Machine:
    I seen some video last year on guys that were slamming the steel in the fall on those spinners. It looked awesome and something I'd really like to try myself. Problem is , I'm usually up a tree at that time and after that , walking on water instead of in it.
    If you have the chance, give them a go down low, staircase area. I , being a spin guy also would think that would be a blast

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 10:08:31 (permalink)
    fichy
       Jack, I could use 7's and bb's. Probably 3 small bags of each will last me a season or 2. You did that for me a couple of years ago and it was much appreciated. I'll get them when I see you on the river end of Sept.  Not only will I reimburse you, but I'll buy you dinner at the place of your choice.

I believe those were the removable type,that's what I use,is that correct?
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 10:13:19 (permalink)
    pafisher
    fichy

I believe those were the removable type,that's what I use,is that correct?

Yep, those be the ones. Thanks, Jack!
    r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 13:05:42 (permalink)
    Many years back some Nova Scotia guys showed me their killer Atlantic rigs (illegal) while we fished together for a few years.
     They used a snelled hook with a night crawler hooked through the ring and at the top of the rig  about 6 inches from the crawler they used a gold spinner-I used a legal streamer, being a non native kinda figured I'd get slammed hard if caught with an improper rig.
    -They caught all the fish.
       Tried it on the Sr a few years ago as it seemed legal here- NADA,
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 14:11:27 (permalink)
    twobob
    Clint you gotta stop looking at that sight or at least take it for what it is.
    Anti Fishusa snagging board.

Machine spinners catch the heck out of steel at times.
    I'm sure he is selling single hook spinners but in case he didn't remember that is  the law much of the year at the SR.

Fichy the easiest way to do away with all snagging is to make only2/0 octopus hooks legal. Wink wink!

[/quote
    TB if you are talking about SC board I do not go there much and post even less.  Not even fun there. I saw this on Myfishfinder.com  NY  section in the what's in the vice thread. They were using the above flies for bass and pannies just thought they looked cool. I like the Oneida lake thread there, they also have a good ice fishing forum

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: spinner flies 2014/08/20 22:03:31 (permalink)
    I've seen similar stuff caught in limbs along brookie streams. And the old small Colorado blade, red beads, and a two hook gang with a worm is common on the Tug hill, same principle but with a pork chop.

The late Leigh Condit,  and Tom McGill of Rochester, used to fish single hook in-lines in the Genesee with great success. Tom told me he quit Salmon fishing with them when the snaggers on the other side of the river figured out that they could wait for him to hook up, cast across his line, let the cricket slide to the fish, set hard, and get a fish, and a spinner, as he fished a lot lighter than 30#, and he hooked up a lot more than the snaggers on early kings.

The key with those spinners is an upstream cast, tighten just until the blade starts to work and then lead through the drift and swing as if you were drifting eggs. When the blade gets going quick, drop some tension or time to reel in.  Lose your concentration during the slow rotation part of the drift, kiss another lure goodbye.  The strikes in the winter from chrome will nearly take your arm off.  Same thing works with a hotshot and pencil lead, but the losses are even more painful. 

L13    
    Jump to: