HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 18:42:06 (permalink)
fichy
There's more doublespeak and politicianese in that crap than in the  NYS fishing regulations. I wanna fish , not look at spread sheets.  On that note, the  4 wd & yak's going into a backwoods smallie lake. Truck's packed with camp and fish gear. I'll worry about " to pay or not to pay, that is the question" some other time.

That's the best idea I  heard. 
I was just wondering how often they even get to 500 and how crowded 250 is, more BS.  Don't matter anyway as I will probably not see that place unless it is as the guest during steelie season. Not being able to fish till October will put me out of alot of the nice earlier runs too.  Too bad as last I heard I was moving up the list for the season pass and was going to get it.  Well enough of that, oh yeah it is raining here AGAIN.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 19:24:40 (permalink)
Pouring.... Rivers gonna get high this coming week
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 19:28:09 (permalink)
250 is a pretty light crowd there... Just sayin... Its definitely an opinionated/ political argument and I stay out of it. I did fish it late this morning for a short period of time with no luck. With this rain it may make for some hope tomorrow as some fish have been witnessed throughout town. Water may keep going up though which will spread out the minimal fish...
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 19:31:26 (permalink)
Seems the Daisy Mae needs to make another appearance next week.
Jack , that no wind dance failed terribly last time. We're you just holding back so I didn't catch them all in 9 days ?
Give it another try and I promise to only catch 1/2 the lake full this time

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 19:37:56 (permalink)
Thanks DB just wondering what the crowds were usually like down there. Never been during peak season and had no ideas at all. So yes it will be a better experience with less people, but it will come at a price. Everyone just has to decide if. the price is right for them...........

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 20:29:28 (permalink)
Clint as I said also. Fished there during peak season when sellouts were the norm. , there is close to 2 miles of water and 2 banks. The usual spots would always attract the most pressure but many spots that I liked would be completely void. I loved the flat broken water between the clay and spring hole, the flats , just below the wall , between the sycamore and bucket and above the bucket ( shale ).
There is plenty of water there for a complete sellout at the current numbers. Just by decreasing the numbers doesn't mean the people will not still migrate to each other anyway

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 20:38:03 (permalink)
If I got it right the are saying the 250 is the max number inc guides and clients? How the heck do they know how many clients are gonna show ???
Guess the guides must have to preregister or they could never get the proper number of tickets for sale-
OH by the way-  how many season pass guys are gonna show ???
 Think the 250 may be a nice goal but only a rumor lol= at any rate the attempt at 250 WILL make it nicer with more open water-- in the morning.
After 1 PM the afternoon passes will be sold -so  ya might still get  to 500 for half the day  in the silly season
 Or do they throw out the  high paying AM guys and season guys and guides and clients for the lower paying PM group- the new rules on their face don't add up to the sales pitch IMHO.
 Heck, when I started fishing that water there was NO DSR and it was still packed.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/08/16 20:44:15
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 21:12:01 (permalink)
Thanks RJ guess I did not realize how much space there was, 4 miles is a lot. Trev here is my guess and it is only that.  Do not know how many season pass holders there are, but I would guess they have have an "average" of how many show up per day. They know the number of presales so they would start there.  I would think that when you check in they start to keep track from there and they will stop selling walk in passes at 250.  Now if there was 250 people there already and a season pass holder shows up my guess is that they will not be turned away. Probably same with the guides.  They are looking for trouble if that happens, cause at $750 I would be walking in.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 21:34:00 (permalink)
Maybe the state should just build one of these and fire the fish directly into the black hole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kICS32kady4

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 21:52:21 (permalink)
The way I recall was. 300 day passes was a sell out. The season pass and guide passes were not added to the equation . There were roughly 150 season pass holders and 50 guide passes
I would expect that would be the way they would continue to base things.

chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/16 21:57:12 (permalink)
Fishing is not always democratic....Like they say, if you have to ask how much, it's probably not for you.....I love the DSR and I've booked four days at 50 per day....If 100 per day would cut the crowd in half, I'd pay it....I got hit in the head by a snagger on the ball field hole two years ago...Darn near passed out in the river...The guy new he'd hit me hard and apologized....I've never seen that type on the DSR.
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/17 05:14:34 (permalink)
Traumatic brain injury explains so much!
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/17 06:31:02 (permalink)
250 is max during peak based on their averages throughout the year. Season pass holder max in One day in recent years was 68. Season pass holders frequent weekdays more than weekends. They set up some type of cushion in which they have 30 openings for seasons pass holders as a reserve. So if that cushion on a peak season day is not fulfilled the max will actually be 220 and they will still be considered sold out of day passes... They did assure season pass holders will never be turned away. Based on this new system it sounds like there will never be an actual Max of 250...

And 500 was a sell out, but how about the sneak ins years ago... I'm sure there's been days near 1000 at times
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/17 09:11:40 (permalink)
Havent been there since the price went over $30.
That said guess the bottom line is that its still the BEST fishing on the river.
To many that's the bottom line for an annual expedition-price be darned when taking the entire picture into consideration- Vacation time-gas- lodging- food and tackle-etc.
One thing is for sure though- during the peak ya better reserve your pass early-------those old days of the long line out on the road fulla guys trying to buy a day pass may be over.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/08/17 09:23:01
chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/17 09:24:10 (permalink)
The rangers do a fair job of policing the DSR...I watched one throw a fisherman out at 10 am after he admitted that it was his stringer with three salmon on it.  It clearly states once you put three on a stringer, you must go.  I had one bark at me as he claimed I was impeding the migration of the fish through a narrow spot in the river.  It was my first time on that river and didn't realize it.  Live and learn.
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/17 12:36:58 (permalink)
What good is all that fancy Simms gear if you can't stand in the middle of the water you should be fishing.  And of course these fish behave differently in every water they run.  Stugots!

L13
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/17 12:51:18 (permalink)
twobob
Traumatic brain injury explains so much!

TBI is often accompanied by PTSD. Persistent trolling/snagging disorder.
Thanks, Dr. Twobee for that diagnosis.
  First hour I was ever in the DSR an azzcave jumped in front of me to body snag a fish in the tail of the glide .  He thought I was wasting time trying to get it to take on the swing.  LOTS of snaggers there, too.
post edited by fichy - 2014/08/17 12:53:06
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/17 13:11:45 (permalink)
fichy
twobobTraumatic brain injury explains so much!

TBI is often accompanied by PTSD. Persistent trolling/snagging disorder.Thanks, Dr. Twobee for that diagnosis.  First hour I was ever in the DSR an azzcave jumped in front of me to body snag a fish in the tail of the glide .  He thought I was wasting time trying to get it to take on the swing.  LOTS of snaggers there, too.

That's a fact. It's not the fishing Mecca by any means. I just love ther water there for salmon as it suites a " fisherman " well.
Remember 1 thing though folks, its not the first shot at unmolested fish. There are hundreds of " whalers " in the estuary throwing harpoons at them first.
I fished the estuary for many years using egg sacks and have NEVER " caught " ( yes i have lined or had them run through my line ) salmon in that slack , slow moving water.
Trout are a different story though..

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/17 16:02:39 (permalink)
What's funny is that when I "fish" my "secret" spot I have success with the Salmon and most are hooked "IN" the mouth.It must be that they are not molested.......HE....HE....
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 07:15:07 (permalink)
Jack my take on it is that when they are up in the ufz they are pretty much done running and they begin aggressively defending their turf.
That is until some yutz starts bombing them with #2 shoot and 2/0 hooks.
If you can avoid that it can be steady picking  for a real fisherman.

It is the in between fish that are so hard to entice.
Their goal being to get to the spawning ground all the  while being buttraped by PTSD syndrome sufferers (as fichy calls it).

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 08:18:28 (permalink)
TB,you're correct.If the zones did n't exist I would n't visit the SR until November.
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 08:21:17 (permalink)
One of the most aggressive takes I've had was from the largest salmon I'm ever likely to get in the SR. It was in mid-river and in shallow water and topedoed a 4" orange bunny  swung at least 3' short of it. It was a bad cast, but it  made a huge V to the fly and swallowed it. I cut myself trying to get the fly back, which was destroyed. I think it was extremely agitated by a long run in shallow water  and had become very aggressive like a soccer Mom looking for a parking space on Black Friday.  It's just an observation that there are scenarios that make them bite in all parts of the river, though the DSR may be more consistent with FRESH fish.  I've always wondered why people would prefer to fish heavy water, but now have realized that  deeper, heavy currents are resting places to hide in and the salmon will hold longer. Doesn't make them easier to get them to "bite", but makes for a consistent presentation.  Something is bound to happen, repeatedly drifting through a pod of large bodies and mouths.  It's much different drifting something that triggers them to bite when they are holding in a small pocket or eddy. Finesse, the right flies and  sight fishing technique are required. We all know Jack's secret spot isn't that secret; it's his acquired skills that make him look like he's fishing an Alaskan fly-in.  You don't buy those with a DSR pass- they're earned.
BeenThereDoneThat.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 11939
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 08:49:42 (permalink)
"aggressive like a soccer Mom looking for a parking space on Black Friday."~Fichy

D@mn-it Boy!! Now that there is funny.... I don't care who you are.
post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2014/08/18 08:51:35
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 09:25:05 (permalink)
Charlie, it's the same as that day you put on a clinic in the lower part of Paradise a few years back.  You found a pod of eager players who aggressively nailed whatever you threw their way.
pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 09:58:38 (permalink)
This is my dream....I know it's a pipe dream.....make the entire SR a "fly fishing" only river and "ENFORCE" the rules.....then and only then it would be a "world class" fishery.
The state of NY  really dropped the ball when they promoted snagging and won't do whats necessary to stop it.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 10:16:12 (permalink)
Although we don't like to face it----face it
   The  majority of fishing in the SR varies from outright snagging to lining with only a few actually fishing- most of whom fly fish.
It wasn't all that long ago the entire upper river was legal for Cricket fishing and when that became illegal there were a few short $$$ years when the number of 'fishermen' dropped off for a while.
    Without the afore mentioned the $$$$ value  the fishery would not exist. The end result would likely be a collapse of the State funded hatchery and monitoring of the system.
The North country is poor and this is a multimillion dollar annual  cash cow.
     Its no wonder enforcement is minimal- nobody wants to shoot the 'golden goose'.
 Like most every one else I too will complain on the forum this season about someones rude idiotic actions ruining a spot for me and others FISHING but it comes with the whole picture. 
Some who have gone to the promised land (Alaska) have come back with the exact same stories. Can see it on some of the video from there too.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/08/18 10:17:47
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 10:48:50 (permalink)
Geesh Trev, it was 19 years ago the state banned legal snatching . That's a long time for folks to get the message.
I remember walking into any gas station or tackle shop ( except whittakers ) and everyone asked to sign the petition to reverse the decision. Tony G even sued the state over it.
At first the number of people dropped but then came the J- plug craze where they adapted the regs to continue snatching. Heck even the dsr was full of plug throwers. Finally the dsr with help from Fred outlawed them on their property and it took a good long while before the dec put another reg in place ( nov-1) to try and curb the issue. Since then as always people found ways to tweak the regulations to continue the so called ban on snatching, longe leaders etc. Now you see again how people have tweaked the regs again in the use of fly rods. Long limber fly rods are one of the most deadly snatching tools out there especially when spooled with mono. You see more fly rods on the river during salmon season then spinning rods. Think of the wind millers just sweeping and lifting , got 1 .
I'm not so sure Jacks vision of flyfishing only is the answer, the enforcement part however is.
Think of it like this. We all speed in our vehicle. If you drive an area repeatedly your gonna get caught. Eventually your are going to think twice about speeding through that area if you know it's frequented by a speed trap. You will still drive but you will follow the speed limit , well unless you have deep pockets and just don't care. There are always gonna be those types no matter how many tickets they get

pafisher
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 11:23:25 (permalink)
As far as the $$$ aspect of this I believe that many real fisherman would replace the snagger/lifter if they would eliminate snagging.I personally know many fisherman that tried to fish the SR and quit because of the slobs that frequent the river during silly season.If everyone actually "fished" and treated the Salmon as wild fish instead of slashing away at them while wading where they should be fishing the fish would be hitting thru out the river.Even bluegills would stop hitting if you used the same tactics as these idiots.
Same story ever year......ARE YOU LISTENING IN THE DEC OFFICE???
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 11:24:07 (permalink)
Before that it was legal snagging UP TO the Pville bridge and if you wanted to fish for real you had to fish over fish that had escaped the spider gauntlet or mix in  with the boat rodders.

Things change and number of "fishermen" goes up and down but in the end real fishermen replace the snaggers as they find the situation improving.
Money still comes in but the more ethical businesses gain while the lowest common denominator types lose.
Phuck them to hell anyway.
Enforcement times a thousand!
If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.
If you have something to fear get the phuck off the river and let someone who respects the fishery enjoy it.

Sorry for the rant but kind of thinking about the all mighty dollar boils my blood.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: HOLY CRAP NEW DSR PRICES 2014/08/18 11:30:08 (permalink)
Agree Rich- just realize it likely aint gonna happen.
 I recall those orange J -plugs with the hook dangling on a string a few inches behind. used to whip back and forth through the Steel beds till they hooked  something. ARUGGGGGH
 Recall  watching the Cricket shows too- ARRRREUGGGGH (pretty sure my name is on that petition too)
HEY- so when did only 19 years NOT seem like just last week  to some of us   lol.

Kinda like 2BOB's way with words
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/08/18 11:34:09
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: