New Regs on the "Catt"

Author
LAMI08
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points: 0
2012/01/19 19:32:21 (permalink)

New Regs on the "Catt"

I know a lot of you guys fish the Reservation part of the Catt, so this is a heads up. I just picked up my new license for the Reservation and they have a new reg..Reg No.6 states "All persons must use non-toxic sinkers. Split shot at any weight is strictly prohibited." 

One more drift---Just one more drift!!!!

19 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/20 14:31:35 (permalink)
    Nice. I like it. Keep the pinners away.
    LAMI08
    New Angler
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/22 14:40:30 (permalink)
    If anyone is interested in contacting the SNI about the no lead regs their imposing here is a post I read at another site..
    This link was sent to me today.
    SNI lead ban concerns ? Call or email:
    Officer Info: William Miller, Chief Conservation Officer, 716-474-9335
    or email will.miller@sni.org Shane Titus, Fisheries Manager,
    716-474-8642 or email shane.titus@sni.org
    Many thanks for the link, "j"
    It might be worth letting them know our feelings on this decision, since NYDEC allows lead shot.
    Also, If one of their own, discharges a standard twelve ga. lead shotshell, which falls anywhere in the storm run-off basin, it is equal to 10 times the loss of one 8gm bunch of shot, on the normal floatfishing rig!
    Bill

papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/22 17:53:43 (permalink)
    If split shot are banned does that mean that the leadcore sink tips the spey guys use are banned as well
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/23 09:02:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: papinner

If split shot are banned does that mean that the leadcore sink tips the spey guys use are banned as well

No. Sink tips used by the "spey guys" are tungsten or zinc coated mono.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/23 09:20:44 (permalink)
    How about flies with the lead wrapped on ???
    I think most of my flies are weighted a little bit with lead.

Or is it just Splitshot ???

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/23 09:50:38 (permalink)
    Bings, I don't know for sure, believe this just applies to split shot, lead weighted flies are legal, I certainly wouldn't worry about fishing a lead body weighted fly on the res. water of catt. The flies I fish are brass cone or nickel plated lead dumbell front weighted tubes with Tungsten coated sink tips. If you don't add shot to your leader, I wouldn't worry about it.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/23 10:58:55 (permalink)

Nope, I use tungsten.

Suck it.

LAMI08
    New Angler
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/24 09:18:46 (permalink)
    Here's the reply I received from the SNI conservation officials:

Concerned Anglers,

I understand the issue you have described.  The Seneca Nation Fish & Wildlife Department has taken great strides to address environmental safety issues when it involves fish and wildlife.  The Law is to ensure the non-use of toxic sinker and lures that may have a negative effect on the fish species along with animals that consume fish.  In discussion within the Department we believe the Law is misinterpreted, item #6 which states: “All persons must use non-toxic sinkers. Split shot at any weight is strictly prohibited”. This statement is an error, it should simply state: “All persons must use non-toxic sinkers.  Split shot of toxic material at any weight is strictly prohibited”.  New York State prohibits the sale and use of lead sinkers and lures.
    The other question being raised is in reference to the category of ICE FISHING, item#1 which states: “Ice Fishing is permitted from Nov15th through March14th with no minimum length”. This was also an error and should simply state: “Ice fishing is permitted from Nov15th through March 14th”. 
    The Department is working with the Seneca Nation Department of Justice to correct these errors.  We will also be sending all vendors the attached statement to clear up any questions. 
    In conclusion, we strive to please all anglers and sportsman but we understand we can’t please all, but we will address issues in the future.  The Tribal Council will address and review the Fish and Game laws every year to better fulfill the needs of the anglers.
    Thank you for your concerns and questions. 

Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:50 PM
    To: Will Miller; Shane Titus
    Subject: No Lead

Gentlemen,           Just purchased my SNI fishing license for the 25th consecutive year...Picked up the new fishing laws brochure to see that lead shot is no longer permitted in the SNI streams...to say the least, this is very disappointing. I don't know if this decision was that of the SNI officials or from outside influence.. I personally will not purchase a SNI license in the future. If there was outside influence, I'd like to know who would be so powerful to convince the SNI officials that this is the right way to go..  My two cents a very poor decision.                                                                                                   regards Bob 

LAMI08
    New Angler
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/24 16:06:44 (permalink)
    Here's another reply a concerned fisherman received from a SNI Official..this covers it all..........

Another reply was sent to my above concerns.

No Toxic (lead) sinkers, lines, lures. There are alternatives to these products. Please remember we are not trying to cause hardship or problems for anglers. Most of my officers are anglers and passionate about the fish and the habitat. The intensions are to help the fish species along with birds and animals that use fish for food. There are many states, New York included have regulated lead in waterways.

Hopefully this helps, and I want to encourage you along with other anglers to ask questions and voice your concerns. We listen to all concerns and try to are best ability to address them. The SNI Fishing Laws are reviewed every year. We will take any constructive criticism and try to better it. We understand we will not be able to please all, but we will try to please for both sides (anglers and wildlife).

Below is the NYS site and information about lead.
    http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7908.html

Thank you again,

William Miller

Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/25 11:31:06 (permalink)
    So you are not going to buy a rez license since you can no longer use lead split shot?!?!?!?!

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    LAMI08
    New Angler
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/25 12:40:37 (permalink)
    Ironhead, I've already purchased my Rez license this year. I have for the past 25 years. I just wanted to make the other fisherman aware of the new reg. Most people never pick-up or does the SNI have their regulation put out so you can take one. Hate t see someone get fined for use something that is prohibited.

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/26 10:41:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: LAMI08

Ironhead, I've already purchased my Rez license this year. I have for the past 25 years. I just wanted to make the other fisherman aware of the new reg. Most people never pick-up or does the SNI have their regulation put out so you can take one. Hate t see someone get fined for use something that is prohibited.

In your letter to the Seneca Nation Fish and Wildlife, you said that you were no longer going to buy their license, in the future.

I personally will not purchase a SNI license in the future.

Now that you freaked out first, and got their explanation later, are you still not going to buy their license in the future?
    papinner
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1083
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/26 18:01:07 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

Nope, I use tungsten.

Suck it.

Ouch Thats a great reply but not quite swinger worthy

Thanks for clarifying that your guys use tungsten I did not know that remember I slit fish for eggs thats why I use a pin
    neaphyte
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/27 06:52:24 (permalink)
    Thanks for the insight Lami. I have bought a SNI permit for well many years and have never seen or been offered a rules and regs booklet. Tungsten works fine so as long as were aware it shouldn't be much of an issue. What they need to do is enforce a litter law. The amount of trash I see along the stream by Nov.has gotten terrible the last few years.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2974
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/31 12:44:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Plum Bob

No. Sink tips used by the "spey guys" are tungsten or zinc coated mono.

Cortland LC-13 is lead core, but then nobody uses that anymore.
    My position is that they should outlaw every type of splitshot. It would make the lead ban easier to enforce.

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2012/01/31 15:07:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dano

My position is that they should outlaw every type of splitshot. It would make the lead ban easier to enforce.

I would agree.

silverman31
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    Re: RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2014/07/31 18:30:18 (permalink)
    So,  I want to fish the catt this fall 2014.  I buy jigs from bass pro, so I cant use them?I think they are lead.  Can I use non lead split shot and where do I find it.  I am not a pinner,  I am to uncoordinated.   I have one though.  What about unleaded jigs l would appreciate any and all help.

thanks

silverman
    shrodreel
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 85
    Re: RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2014/08/04 17:39:11 (permalink)
    The oceans are acidifying, coral reefs are dying, polar ice is diminishing rapidly, people in Toledo can't drink the water and we're worried about using split shot in the river...go figger
    go-n-fishn
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re: RE: New Regs on the "Catt" 2014/11/05 09:17:11 (permalink)
    Been on the Catt. a lot this year and what I've seen so far is that not a whole lot of people are  paying any attention to the new regulations. I made a comment to one of the guys I fish with that I think we are the only ones not using lead. Talked to two more yesterday who had lead on and when they were told that's not legal any more  just got a shrug of the shoulders and away they went, kept right on fishing.  I've hooked on to two rigs that were broken off and when I got them in they had enough lead on them to fill a small container, with egg sacks attached.
    post edited by go-n-fishn - 2014/11/05 09:19:37

There will be days when fishing is better than ones optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.
    **Roderick Haig-Brown
    Jump to: