Free Canoe 4 me

Author
Timachro
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1339
  • Reward points: 0
2014/07/27 10:52:36 (permalink)

Free Canoe 4 me

So, the other day my brother-in-law calls me and says that someone he knows, has a canoe that he doesn't want. He asks me if I wanted it.  So instead of letting them scrap it, I said I would take it. It's a 17' Coleman canoe. I'm not sure what year it is but, it was registered before. Seems to be in decent shape. All I need to do is buy some paddles for it and get it registered.  Now when I go camping with the family, I can strap it on top of my Explorer and tow the pop up camper. Which would be good for places like Jamestown campground or Lake Arthor. Pretty good deal for me,huh?

6 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: Free Canoe 4 me 2014/07/27 16:19:51 (permalink)
    Congratulations!! You will love it. I have spent many hours fishing out of an old canoe and enjoyed every one of them! Remember to get a good net and plan to tip at some point so keep sensitive electronics in water proof containers.
    Timachro
    Pro Angler
    Re: Free Canoe 4 me 2014/07/28 08:24:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip on tipping Fisherlady2.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9658
    Re: Free Canoe 4 me 2014/07/28 09:20:06 (permalink)
    Hopefully not too much of a pain to register.  My old 12' boat took forever, since the previous owner couldn't find his title (had to have a new one made to sell).  If the boat has a title, you can only register with the title.  It must be handled through a notary, and many don't do boat titling.  It's also around $100 to transfer the title (my $300 boat cost me $400)...  If no title, they can sign over the PA registration, which would be nice if all boats were that way.  You only need registration on state parks, USACE and PFBC waters (pretty cheap - I think $8 per year).  You can also use launch permits for some of those waters, but registration is pretty universal.  Places like the Yough (outside of Ohiopyle or Reservoir), you don't need any registration.  Good luck and congrats on the new boat.  It will open up a ton of fishing spots for you and an added activity for the family.  You'll need to adjust your fishing style a little.  Keep your eye on Craigslist for trolling motors.  A 30lb trust is all you need, can find them for under $50.  Although a battery will run you $60-$100 and charger is probably another $50.  Even a canoe can be a money pit.  Although likely more of a "gateway drug" if you get hooked and love being on the water.  Mine was a kayak...
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: Free Canoe 4 me 2014/07/28 13:41:51 (permalink)
    http://fishandboat.com/boatcrs/03boathandbook/chap2_08_launch.htm

If it is unpowered, all you need is a launch permit.  Most D!ck's sell them.  You will need to record the Hull Identification Number on the Launch Permit Application, (https://www.fish.state.pa.us/images/pages/forms/pfbc769.pdf)

Once you add a motor it has to be registered and you need to deal with everything Pork wrote about.  Once I used a handwritten note to prove ownership of an older canoe, ie, I Joe Smith sold a 17' Coleman Canoe- HIN # 92075408924 to Chris Johnson on July 10, 2014 for $1, with both parties signing the note.  I used the notary on Wildwood Ave in Verona for that transaction.  

I currently use a flatback canoe with a 50# thrust motor around Pittsburgh and on the rivers.  They can get you into some great water.  I have a couple kayaks as well, that I think can get you into more water and are more stable, but don't have the carrying capacity of a canoe.

Have fun and good luck on the water. 
    Timachro
    Pro Angler
    Re: Free Canoe 4 me 2014/07/31 15:04:55 (permalink)
    Already purchased the launch permit. Gotta go and get the paddles now.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8500
    Re: Free Canoe 4 me 2014/08/10 00:20:35 (permalink)
    I use my yak at Author and have stripers pull me around...what a blast. Enjoy and be safe...:)

Jump to: