Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
  • Reward points: 0
2014/07/09 15:45:41 (permalink)

No news is good I guess

First thanks all for the well wishes.    It's summer and there are only a few posts.  Lets lay the other post to bed.
Got to the hospital at 0545 and was taken back by 0630. At 0700  My surgeon was soon there hustling people around trying to get me going early. I talked with him for 10 minutes or so.  I was held up a bit by the anesthesiologist, by 0745 I was out.  wife was called at 0845 with a report.   said he worked hard on the left side freeing nerves up and everything went well.  I woke at 0930or so and a less than nice lady made me sit up to remove electrodes from my back and the pain started.  I was walking around the unit by noon.  The bad, the pain is intense around the whole neck, my throat feels like it has razor blades and nails in it and I have a numb patch on my chin.  All should diminish.  Only talked to one doc for two minutes right before my discharge.  My arm feels better than it has in year.   Sorry about the bad sentences and spelling my putor gave up the ghost and my new unit is a Microsoft Surface.  Not the best to type on.  that's all for now as the vivo is kicking in strong
post edited by Clint S - 2015/07/16 19:32:36

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

59 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/09 15:57:59 (permalink)
    Good to hear your already on the road to recovery Clint !!
    Keep getting stronger every day and use those narcotics heavily before bed time. Trying to sleep was the worst for me

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/09 16:51:29 (permalink)
    Glad all seems to be going well clint.
    I didn't experience any  of those things.
    There was pain but not in my throat where they made the incision.

Do the work and you'll be good to go for the rainheads.
    How long are you on disabled list.
    Might just get paid to do a little fishing.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/09 17:20:23 (permalink)
    As of now Sept 22 will be my back to work day.  Boss offered desk duty if I wanted to go back a bit early.  we will see.  Between the Breathing tube and retracting my esophagus they said it is to be expected.  Its like the esophagus is swollen, popsicle work well.   Pain pills  at night are my best friend. 

Ps it is raining again

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/09 18:55:37 (permalink)

Remember NOT to push it when ya start feelin frisky-take some time and go slow -even though it aint fun when boredom sets in.
     Glad all went well -next coupla days will be the worst- like Tuna indicated stay ahead of it- especially before trying to sleep.
     In a couple of months you will be walking ON the water instead of in it as you will be feelin sooooo good.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/11 18:09:12 (permalink)
    Still a bit sore.  Took 4 .25 mile walks up to the farm and back today.  The bailer broke and it was tough not to jump in a see what was going on.   They got it fixed and the boys are back at it.  They will do close to 500 bales on the 2 lots

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/11 20:41:35 (permalink)
    Glad you are on the mend...  I know it has to be frustrating, but the big picture will make it well worthwhile!

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/14 18:10:05 (permalink)
    I am feeling better.  I cam sleep through the night.   I walked about 4 miles today in 3 different walks.   Sore throat is almost gone, but the neck hurts now and then, pain pills have been cut in half

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/15 21:37:15 (permalink)
    That is GREAT news Clint !!!
    Young bones heal well and quick.. Took me a month from a bum crash just to cut the meds so I could sleep then stupidly cast to the most insane coho run ever ..
    Sure seems you will be in fine form for a few tugs soooooon..

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/23 15:06:35 (permalink)
    Well I overdid a bit yesterday and was moving and on my feet all day.   I picked a bunch of cucumbers and we made some pickles yesterday.   My nephew (Brian)  did most if not all of the work during the canning process.  Think I made the mistake of doing the picking.  Anyway not bad just hurting a bit.    I still have a very sore/partially numb spot on my chin above the incision.   Hurt only when I touch it.   Shaving kills.    I tied a few dozen egg sacs and then froze them so in the  fall I just have to get a container and  go.   My plan is to have the majority of my flies and sacs tied

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/23 15:57:53 (permalink)
    Speaking of flies I must start my annual sort and inventory check......then tie a bunch as it seems you never have enough!
    Take care of that body Clint and maybe I'll take you to my secret spot this fall
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/26 22:23:09 (permalink)
    Butterflies came off today and the incision looking really good. It is all healed.  Arm and neck muscles have been pretty achy, sore so I have taken it easy the last few days.  Cleaned the fly desk today and took inventory.   MD apt Tuesday hoping for the ok to drive a bit and to be able to start doing some range of motion and lite arm and shoulder strengthening.  still got that **** numb/sore spot on my chin too.  hurts like a motha.

twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/27 08:21:39 (permalink)
    Glad all seems to be going well.
    Prolly the difference in which disk was worked on but I never experienced the chin pain numbness you are.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/27 08:47:10 (permalink)
    The doc said they probably hit a nerve up there.   It has went from numb to just hurting.

twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/27 09:25:06 (permalink)
    I think that means the nerve is regenerating.
    My brother had his pelvis crushed in a car accident and had that experience as the nerves grew back.
    Took a while since it was his whole leg but it did go away.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/27 09:31:06 (permalink)
    Besides the hurting it seems like you are coming along pretty well.. I bet you'll be tugging on a rod before long.. If you cant take the brute strength of hauling a fish in (like I couldn't ) then cut the hook point off and see what happens..

I know when I had some body armor inserted the cut through a bunch of nerves and it has been numb ever since, including my brain .lol
    At times if something , like a seat belt, touches the area just right there is a sharp intense pain.. It sucks but much better then what it was before.

twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/27 09:47:47 (permalink)
    I still  have a numb spot in my stomach where the incision to take out my intestine was made and that was 2 years ago.
    No pain ever so I think it means that nerve is gone for good.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/27 10:45:55 (permalink)
    TB I think your are right with that.   Biggest thing is that my arm is in more pain than before the surgery and for that fact I had no pain for  a week after.  My thoughts are that now that I am feeling I am doing more and the nerves are a bit irritated giving me the achy, tired  feeling.

twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/27 12:05:41 (permalink)
    I certainly hope that is it clint.
    I don't have the range of motion in my neck I had before and most likely never will but the pain in my arm and neck were fixed by the surgery.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/27 17:08:12 (permalink)
    That's what kind o sucks my arm is in way more pain than before the surgery.  It was cyclic for me though, a month of good  and a month of pain, but the pain cycles were getting longer.  My nerve block fixed that and I was doing pretty well since February.  I was having second thoughts about the surgery. 
    It is WAY too early to think anything though, when I had my wrist surgery it was six months before I was pain fee.  I am not even three weeks out so of course I am bound to be in pain.

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/29 12:29:49 (permalink)
    Well it seems everything is as expected from my MD appt today.   The arm pain is from inflammation, chin numbness from nerve irritation.  I am to stay off all boats, lawnmowers and farm tractors period.  I can drive a little bit to my tolerance and am still not allowed to push, pull or lift overhead anything , more than 5.   Return to work is based on FULL fusion of my neck, not  before unless it is for lite  duty only.  She even hinted that a few weeks after fusion may be given based on how  I feel.  I have x rays on or about 9/15 and a return appt on 9/22.      

twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/30 04:48:20 (permalink)
    Glad all is well.

Ya just might get a little paid river time after all
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/30 17:10:08 (permalink)
    Clint, you may well be aware of this, but I'll run it by you anyway. When I've had various  strains and pulls, aches and pains I've kept fishing by going to longer, softer rods.  This spring, striper fishing ,I broke out the 11' 8 wt. when I had a shoulder and elbow that was aching like heck. You can jam the butt against your navel, keep the rod angle low, and let the rod absorb most of the shock and strain. Same can be done with a noodle rod.  Anything that gets you quicker on the water. SAFELY, that is.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/30 19:45:49 (permalink)
    I have been thinking about a longer switch rod for some time.  Would like the extra length for casting.   I was thinking, dare I say it, for it to double as pin rod if I choose to try it.  I have an 11 foot noodle that I float with that is a pretty good at soaking up (slower action right??) the fish.  I have been finding that there are a few spots on the river I really like the float rod and of course I have a freezer full of eggs to use too

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/30 20:03:31 (permalink)
    As Fichy said,
    When I had severe tendentious from chopping endless amounts of firewood, I could not cast a single handed fly rod with out severe pain..
    I still wanted to fish so I bought a 2 handed spey.. It put me back on the water..
    I will say however I hated the rod, length etc.. Once my kid (who's wood I was splitting) bought a log splitter my tendentious went away and so did the rod..
    If you want to use it for the season, it's here for the taking.. It's been in a case for 3 years, not dusty or rusty but idle indeed..

Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/30 20:14:20 (permalink)
    Rich definitely do not want to get in the two handed casting business, I can barely cast with one.  😠   That said if the arm still bothers in the fall I may or if I decide I want to give it a try I may take you up on your offer. 

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/30 20:18:09 (permalink)
    Clint , I think you might be interested in the rods carried by Skip Storch at Shu-fly.com.  I purchased an 11' 8wt this past winter and I believe Jack has the same rod.  I'm looking forward to using it this fall.  The rod is moderately priced, comes with a rod tube and lifetime warranty.  I also purchased a Max-Drag reel to match the rod.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/07/30 20:39:57 (permalink)
    Yes been looking at the shut fly when I heard you guys got them

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/01 00:19:37 (permalink)
    Switch is just fine but with one hand its a bit --well- a bit to get used to---I love it but frankly if had an arm issue would stick to the regular fly rod or noodle.
     Spin outfit(dare I say that ) with light drag may be in order for a while Clint-hold with one hand and just work the reel with the other - orrrrr- don't fish till later no matter  how nuts ya get- HEAL COMPLETLY first.
    Its a long life- don't screw yourself up for an early  fish. Take the long view.
    Clint S
    Pro Angler
    Re: I am on the DL now 2014/08/01 08:03:17 (permalink)
    trev, seeing how I am not s huge a salmon guy I will be tempted , but not give in.  Scouting reports may not be out of the question

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: