CAN SOMEONE LEND A HAND

Author
mariosteam0506
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 58
  • Reward points: 0
2014/07/29 12:43:45 (permalink)

CAN SOMEONE LEND A HAND

I'M PLANNING ON MAKING A TRIP UP TO NY THIS FALL, HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS BC I HAVE NOT MADE A TRIP UP THERE SO THIS SHOULD BE EXCITING! IS EARLY NOVEMBER LIKE THE FIRST WEEK THE BEST TIME IF YOUR MOST CONCERNED WITH CATCHING BROWNS? IF YOUR USING SPINNING TACKLE YOUR MOSTLY FISHING SKEIN, EGGS, AND MINNOWS LIKE FISHING AT ERIE? BEST PLACE TO FISH IS MOSTLY FISH OAK ORCHARD AND START AT THE DAM AND WORK YOUR WAY DOWN TO THE ARCHERS OR SYCAMORE HOLES? HOW FAR DOWN THE THE CREEK ARE THESES HOLES FROM THE DAM? ALSO IVE BEEN READING POSTS FOR MANY YEARS BACK, SO I NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT I BRING LEAD WEIGHTS ANYTHING ELSE THAT I SHOULD MAKE SURE A HAVE? I HAVE BEEN CONTEMPLATING THE POUND TEST I SHOULD USE I ALWAYS USE 6LB UP ERIE SHOULD YOU USE 8 OR LARGER BC YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE POSSIBLITY OF HOOKING A SALMON? LASTLY WHAT TIME DO YOU SUGGEST GETTING TO THE CREEK, I DONT WANT TO BE A SCAB AND HAVE TO WEDGE MY WAY INTO A SPOT, IS THERE ANY RESTRICTIONS AS TO A CERTIAN TIME YOU CAN START FISHING? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRICIATED, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PM ME THAT IS FINE. I WOULD JUST LIKE TO HAVE A REALLY ENJOYABLE TRIP THANKS A MILLION!!!!

The fishing and hunting is pretty good not so bad!!!

6 Replies Related Threads

catchtrout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: CAN SOMEONE LEND A HAND 2014/07/29 14:22:05 (permalink)
    If you are staying for more than a day the first thing you want to do is find a place to stay NOW! If you are using spinning tackle it should be a noodle type rod. Six pound test should work but 8 pound might be a better choice so that you do not interfere with other fisherman for too long. You don't want sinkers you want split shot. Also, most spin fishermen use a float to keep the fly moving. Most effective fly patterns are sucker spawn  or salmon egg patterns. Don't go too big, size 12 is about right. Colors are natural egg, yellow or white. White is my favorite. By the first week in November the bottom of Oak Orchard will have many white eggs floating along the bottom. Get to the stream no later than 5:00 or 5:30. Stream manners are good and no one will take your spot and you shouldn't move into theirs. It isn't a stream you jump around on. The first day you will be fishing blind but observe where the fish are being caught and get there early the next day to claim one of those spots. Expect a crowd ! You fish from a half hour before sun-up to a half hour after sun-set. Don't be the first one to cast, take a lead from someone else. Best time will be at daylight with several" turn ons" through out the day. Have a great time. No mater how heavy of tackle you use you will hook fish that you cannot turn - and they won't necessarily be salmon. The salmon should be about over by then. Park at the end of Park Ave, go down the hill and turn right at the bottom. You will go 2 - 3 hundred yards and fish where the crowd is. That section is probably the best section on Oak Orchard. Have a great trip. Again, FIND LODGING NOW !
    mariosteam0506
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: CAN SOMEONE LEND A HAND 2014/07/29 15:53:49 (permalink)
    THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH ANY OTHER INSIGHT WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

The fishing and hunting is pretty good not so bad!!!
    catchtrout
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: CAN SOMEONE LEND A HAND 2014/07/30 13:21:06 (permalink)
    I didn't touch on bait. No one uses live bait such as minnows. Most fishermen will be using flies. Probably 98% will be using fly rods. Take all the flies you think you will need. Last year in six days I probably went through 70 flies. Egg sacks are used by some but again, if you make your own, don't make them too big. Five to six fresh salmon eggs would be maximum. White or yellow netting would be the color to use.  Otter egg flies would be my personal choice. You can buy them at Cabelas or on the web.. I have fished that area for 10-12 years and it can be a great trip. Last year my son, his buddy and I spent six days on the Oak the first week of November. Each of us caught browns over 13 pounds and lost larger ones. I won't be going back as my legs won't take standing in water for 12 hours any more and the stream is becoming over crowded. If you want to fish it, now would be the time as is won't get any better in years to come. People drive from as far away as Florida or Colorado to fish that stream because it is worth it.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    Re: CAN SOMEONE LEND A HAND 2014/08/02 16:09:47 (permalink)
    I like to get to oak orchard between Oct 15 and 31.  I find white and Oregon cheese egg patterns in size 10 are great for big browns...There are a good number of feisty steelhead in this creek so sucker spawn in various colors in size 8 to 10 are good...I would use nothing less than 8lb tippet but, 10 is better, imo.  I fish from the dam to about 250 yards downstream of Archers....This is not a long stream and pinners love the place.  In other words, it can get crowded.  You'll see head lamps in the river 90 minutes before sunrise.  There's plenty of hotels on route 90 but that's a long ways away.  There's no bargain hotels in albion when the fishing season starts.
    racerx051781
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re: CAN SOMEONE LEND A HAND 2014/08/14 15:20:45 (permalink)
    Stay away from the Oak if possible. I agree with everyone as it is the best place to be for fish but like Erie if you are willing to do some homework and walking you can get away from it and have an amazing trip. We go every year and always have an awesome trip and our waders never touch the Oak.
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    Re: CAN SOMEONE LEND A HAND 2014/08/22 19:52:48 (permalink)
    we go the second week in oct every year. one year it will be a ton of small browns, the next the big boys will already be in.i go mostly for kings so i use only a noodle rod and have yet got to land a big brown. my buddys use fly rods and hammer the browns. i will use the exact same thing and good drifts and all and cant ever get one. if u are brown fishing, u must fly fish.
    Jump to: