upcoming season

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Author
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
  • Reward points: 0
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/25 19:30:34 (permalink)
Nice looking tie Fichy.  I hope to sit down and start tying after next weekend.  Shark season will be here before you know it, you can never have too many flies in your arsenal.

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/25 20:36:28 (permalink)
Thanks, Gerry. Hope we share some water this fall.
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/25 21:29:34 (permalink)
I hope to make it up to the SR early and later in September when HT, Jack, Clint, you and the gang are there.  
Going to hit the open water next weekend with my daughter and her boyfriend.  They have never fished for salmon, steel, lakers or browns so it should be fun just watching them wrestle with a shark.    
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 10:32:00 (permalink)
fichy I like.
Trouble with kings is that they can be near impossible to get to strike sometimes for reasons I have never figured out and savages at others.
Taking a newb can be frustrating with nothing to do about it.
That is why so many people that are decent human being end up snaggers or not coming back again.
Good luck when you bring your bud may the stars be aligned for you.
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 10:56:48 (permalink)
twobob
fichy I like.
Trouble with kings is that they can be near impossible to get to strike sometimes for reasons I have never figured out and savages at others.
Taking a newb can be frustrating with nothing to do about it.
That is why so many people that are decent human being end up snaggers or not coming back again.
Good luck when you bring your bud may the stars be aligned for you.

That's why I really have given up a lot on the kings. I fish mid river and it is very tough.  I got a few last year, but I can honestly say that I have only had a handful a fish in the last few years that went out of their way to strike.  I will harvest one for eggs and fertilizer and usually have little interest after that. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.Β  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 11:33:29 (permalink)
Its a matter of keeping expectations ow which also makes it more exciting when it does happen

Last year my first 3 trips I think were total zeros.
Had a handful of fish each day (they were getting chased pretty hard)
and couldn't by a bite.
That was cool with me since I was on the river getting to see its changes and I don't really care much about kings.
I think I ended up landing 3 or for and lost 15 or 16 more that I believe were biters.
Foul hooked and broke off around a half dozen.

That for me is about what I expect.
Never (rarely) going to have a huge number of biters nowadays with the crowds but more than enough to satisfy me since I won't chase them to land them.
Now if I hadn't landed plenty in the past maybe  I would be wanted more numbers and tried harder to land the ones I hooked.
Point is don't fill a newbs heads with stories of your magic trip with Tuna or a let down will surely follow.
Focus on the awesome power of fresh kings and that each fish is special and one fairly hooked king is worth more than a thousand lifted or lined kings.

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 11:40:33 (permalink)
Yea TB that is about what my expectations are.  Maybe less. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.Β  ~Babylonian Proverb

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 14:14:26 (permalink)
I actually won't  mention my trip with Tuna  other than here, as its water long under the bridge. My friends generally trust my fishing sense and judgement. Maybe not here, but at least elsewhere. I  do have reasonable expectations , but I also like to have a little confidence and hope, otherwise I'll stick to the number of other fisheries where I'm reasonably successful or explore new  ones that pique my interest.  Good points, 2b, but I'm not that naive or  full of BS. 

hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 15:08:44 (permalink)
I think that I have fished for salmon in the river long enough to know what the deal is. Lower river ( DSR ) is , was and always will be the premier water for getting wild , fresh outta the gate Lake Ontario salmon. I wouldn't guide anywhere else. Mid river is a tough deal. They are moving through so much pressure and with a goal in mind, avoid ppl and head to the top.
Upper river: another phase. Dig , reproduce and compete . They get nasty up river as well.
Fichy, it's ok. I got thick skin. Just glad your experience was better then the 80's and now you like the salmon .
I will pass along what I know to my siblings and try to take them on new adventures as they come.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 15:30:46 (permalink)
I must chime in here as I really enjoy the sharks.There are days when it is really tough to get a hit and then I tie on the "color of the day" and it's FISH ON! Color is a very important deal with the sharks but don't ask for a explanation because I have no idea.All I know if you have the right color on some days it makes all the difference.Then there are days they seem to hit anything that is presented correctly.They can be frustrating but if one FISHES for them they do hit.If everyone would treat them with some respect and fish for them like the WILD fish that they are they would hit more readily,even a Bluegill will shut down if you stomp around and throw hunks of lead and slash at them. 
OK off my soap box now and off to feed my best friend.
post edited by pafisher - 2014/07/26 15:31:57
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 16:42:54 (permalink)
While I must say I do lack a bit of confidence.  I do have reasonable expectation of things.  I have hooked and fought plenty of sharks (and notice I say hooked ) so I do not need to go up and do it anymore.  if I can get one or two to hit in a day I am good.  jack I do need to get more colors in my salmon arsenal I am so into the steel flies I do not tie slot of salmon stuff.  I know a few easy ones too that should work.  collar, estaz, tail, easy.  Those magical days are what keep me coming back for more............................

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 18:09:42 (permalink)
Jack and Tuna I have always said early and late.
When they first come into the lower river they can still have most of their top end predator mentality
Until they have been beaten on they can be fairly easy to get to strike.
Unfortunately nowadays that happens fast and low on the river.

As they take up spawning stations in the upper river their aggression peaks again as they protect their mate and the redd..

Me I usually fish lower middle and hope for some fresh fish that are moving fast stopping for a bit and protecting their lie from others.
Nowadays with the crowds it can be difficult.

I certainly wasn't saying fichy was a BSer or didn't have knowledge but only that at this point in time it is much harder to find willing kings because of crowds and ethics of others.
I won't be posting anything else about kings since people seem to take it all personally but as a generalization as I intended.

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 18:24:58 (permalink)
I don't get it- why all the trouble??
6 ft extra heavy white color bunker snagging rod and great big spin reel filled with 40 lb test- a 1.o hook and some kinda little piece of towel or sponge and some .30 cal muzzleloader balls for weight - whats the issue????
 Not hard stuff to find- every shop up there sells it.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 18:26:56 (permalink)
twobob
Jack and Tuna I have always said early and late.When they first come into the lower river they can still have most of their top end predator mentalityUntil they have been beaten on they can be fairly easy to get to strike.Unfortunately nowadays that happens fast and low on the river.Β As they take up spawning stations in the upper river their aggression peaks again as they protect their mate and the redd..Β Me I usually fish lower middle and hope for some fresh fish that are moving fast stopping for a bit and protecting their lie from others.Nowadays with the crowds it can be difficult.Β I certainly wasn't saying fichy was a BSer or didn't have knowledge but only that at this point in time it is much harder to find willing kings because of crowds and ethics of others.I won't be posting anything else about kings since people seem to take it all personally but as a generalization as I intended.Β 

Absolutely true 2 b. hence I bought a bigger boat. Crowds and the price to play have changed my salmon mentality .
Only and only reason I go is to hang with others, maybe teach someone who hasn't had the fortune . For me , my time has passed and I'm moving forward

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 19:25:10 (permalink)
Drama drama...lol

I stop fishing the lower end when their mouths close and its usually anywheres right around 2nd week of September. I've witnessed it for years and actually realized it for some time now. The constant run of 2012 I witnessed one day around mid September on a week day with not a soul in sight but tons of fresh fish moving... So i believe pressure from anglers is not the main initial culprit but it definitely doesnt help..These fish had a different look in their eyes and jaws locked...
Who's to say my leader don't swipe a jaw when drifting at times.... So be it. Exploding head shakes are my norm when targeting salmon... Once that is not as common, I'm done... I've gotten bored with gang buster runs and walked off the river because of too many foul ups on fish...
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 20:23:02 (permalink)
r3g3
I don't get it- why all the trouble??6 ft extra heavy white color bunker snagging rod and great big spin reel filled with 40 lb test- a 1.o hook and some kinda little piece of towel or sponge and some .30 cal muzzleloader balls for weight - whats the issue????Β Not hard stuff to find- every shop up there sells it.

Exactly !!
I love fishing and having someone from across the river trying to cast to the fish in front of me..taking turns at drift, cast, , wondering if i lined it or foul hooked & watching some moron rope and carry a salmon in the C&R area to get a pic . Great stuff ..

DB , there is never any drama on the Slammin River
Edit:
Correction to on the Daisy Mae
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/07/26 20:30:05

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 21:13:15 (permalink)
When I was a kid I used to get in trouble for tearing out little pieces of our living room couch cushions to use as "BAIT"

I was working 2 aggressive males fighting over a female 2 years ago in a little feeder. Was on giving a few casts every few minutes to not spook them.   Guy come up and proceeds to ask me if I see the fish over there I said  I did.  Then just casts his 6 foot surf rod and rips away.   It was one  of the only times I really lost it and started yelling and cussing him out.

Speaking of the upcoming season I talked to my neighbor the ECO officer today and he again offered a ride on his drift boat, he said he could never find anyone to go with in the winter and needed a shuttle to take the drift boat.    Said winter time is best as too much OT in the fall.  I said "HELL YEA".  He also said to check in with him about hot spots on the ice as he rides around on Oneida and other places  some days checking folks.  Said he would be more than happy to let me know where and when  and also go out with me a few times.   I again said "HELL YEA"

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 21:25:46 (permalink)
Clint I would give that a HELL YEA for sure..
We got a guy here that I will always give one of those to any chance our paths may cross, yours is closer .. Awesome people around..

You said ICE, ICE  ??? Gosh, I'm almost ready but let me catch some Ontario fish first to justify the boat .. lol

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 21:37:02 (permalink)
Awesome Clint!!! Matt has always seemed like a good guy from any times I've chatted with him
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 21:48:58 (permalink)
Just an update:
 That fish rite dropped in price by a few..
I looked forever 10 years ago to find a high side tin Drift boat with a budget of 4g to no avail.. This is a heck of a deal if anyone has an interest with a little coin to spend..

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/26 22:15:50 (permalink)
   I have a great feeling that in my hands it would be like my neighbors boat as it takes 2 to tango with one of those and honestly the thought of rowing in the river scares me.
He is a very nice guy.  Told him today I see him alot in the lfz in the company boat.  Told me next time to yell to him and he would stop for a minute, I told him I never yelled over because I did not want him to check my weight. πŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡  He said I must be doing something right as he has never noticed me there once.😎

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/27 13:10:19 (permalink)
Clint S
   I have a great feeling that in my hands it would be like my neighbors boat as it takes 2 to tango with one of those and honestly the thought of rowing in the river scares me.
He is a very nice guy.  Told him today I see him alot in the lfz in the company boat.  Told me next time to yell to him and he would stop for a minute, I told him I never yelled over because I did not want him to check my weight. πŸ˜ˆπŸ˜ˆπŸ˜‡πŸ˜‡  He said I must be doing something right as he has never noticed me there once.😎

Clint,could you tell him to bring his friends to the LFZ and ticket the obvious snaggers that frequent  that area in October,they are not very hard to notice!
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/27 13:25:10 (permalink)
Clint ask him if it is any easier to get a conviction than it used to be.
Tell him you won't use his name so he can talk freely
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/27 16:58:45 (permalink)
I have talked with him a few times but never talked alot of shop talk as I usually see him walking with his wife or I am walking with mine.  it is usually neighbor stuff.

chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/27 17:30:47 (permalink)
Upgrading my fly fishing rig with a Nautilus NV 10/11 reel with the G8 spool.....I skimped a bit by not buying the Hatch backing and going with Dacron 30 lb.  The line take-up of the Abel Super 8 was a chore so a change was necessary. 
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/27 19:33:57 (permalink)
glad you invested into an upgrade 1/0
Hope it helps drag some mudsharks in ..

chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/27 19:36:29 (permalink)
Straight up Tuna,  1/0 octopus hooks resist snagging....You should try them as long as your willing to reel in fewer fish...
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/27 20:55:12 (permalink)
Size # 4 streamer as Fichy and myself posted in years past will out fish a 1/0 black estaz no brainer black wrap fly. Note " fish " not hook.
Have fun dumping $$$$ on dead fish
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/07/27 20:56:37

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/27 21:03:01 (permalink)
Actually just the opposite, One Ought (not). HT's caught more fish in the SR in a year than you'll catch in a lifetime of expensive trips. Those reels are for Tarpon. Way overkill for fish under 40 pounds that don't exceed 30 mph.
A few may go  fancy, the majority of us don't and do just fine. Spend all you want, respect is earned not bought.  If you haven't noticed, mud shark fishing isn't taken  all that seriously. It's fun, but not that difficult to snag fish running up river in packs.  Lots of guys with white poles from Wal-Mart will be fishing those same flies and hooks as you do on 15 dollar white poles. Since most of us try to make it a little sporting, you don't fit in here.You might notice most of us actually fish together at one  point or another. Think you'll get an invite?  You might find people to mingle with on Yankee Sport's Shop  Facebook Page. I think you and Dawn would get on very well. Buy the shirt, so you can say you were there. Have a great fall.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/27 21:15:42 (permalink)
fichy
Actually just the opposite, One Ought (not). HT's caught more fish in the SR in a year than you'll catch in a lifetime of expensive trips. Those reels are for Tarpon. Way overkill for fish under 40 pounds that don't exceed 30 mph.
A few may go  fancy, the majority of us don't and do just fine. Spend all you want, respect is earned not bought.  If you haven't noticed, mud shark fishing isn't taken  all that seriously. It's fun, but not that difficult to snag fish running up river in packs.  Lots of guys with white poles from Wal-Mart will be fishing those same flies and hooks as you do on 15 dollar white poles. Since most of us try to make it a little sporting, you don't fit in here.You might notice most of us actually fish together at one  point or another. Think you'll get an invite?  You might find people to mingle with on Yankee Sport's Shop  Facebook Page. I think you and Dawn would get on very well. Buy the shirt, so you can say you were there. Have a great fall.

Charlie,
VERY good response.. Thank You

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 9
Jump to: