upcoming season

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Author
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
  • Reward points: 0
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 15:30:36 (permalink)
Permission from the upstream property owner would allow you to access the bank if the above survey holds true... Drift boat anchoring would be the easiest option though. If they do not own under the river channel as shown in most of the waterfront, one "should be able to anchor along shore and get out and walk as long as they don't cross the boundary line... Again, this is just assumption on my part but it makes sense to me based on what I've seen and know when it comes to pfr, pfa, and river rights

Two Bob, tug edge moved in to big Al's... Lawn and tractor equipment
post edited by dimebrite2 - 2014/07/22 16:04:03
twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 16:11:18 (permalink)
Now where will I get a sub for the road on my way outta town.

And what will Duke be up to now.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 16:56:57 (permalink)
fichy
Unfortunately, that piece that juts out into the river is the tail of the barrel and the best bank holes in that stretch. I have trouble remembering my name, but will remember a hole within a hole in a spot I haven't fished for 10 years. You can easily wade around the fence to go further down the bank below the bridge, but I suspect you will be quickly in a fight with custodial forces.  Since some of the best  steelhead guides (at least from what I hear and have seen) fish  in that  jutting out area  in the early morning with excellent success, I imagine it'll get heated if the privateers decide they're getting boarded. Since the bank rights begin again below, somewhere in Schoolhouse, my question is how do you access it without crossing from the north bank?  I'm not asking an idle question- I really would like to know. PM's are fine, if someone feels its a spot burner.  I've had some great days jumping off the ice  shelf and fishing froggy edges, would like to still have that option.

I have made the walk from the trestle to the school house and vice versa many times. Some times in deep snow it can be quite the chore

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 18:04:18 (permalink)
yes TB it is a Husquavarna dealer

Ps I may not have spelled that right

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 20:40:46 (permalink)
Too bad some enterprising soul cant take a hike back there and see the survey lines that were surely done prior to any purchase- if they haven't been removed.
 A point of interest though is that the photo is taken from an angle and many tall trees may look like the waters edge but the actual edge is closer to the water that it may appear.
 Seems like enough distance though that the line is NOT in the water- IMHO- in many places. When looking at the photo from above on my place not too far from there the same   thing happens with by farther line and tree height.
 There is a real estate site that shows survey lines very accurately throughout the area when getting the proper height on the satellite photos-at least mine and my neighbors are exact and right to the trees where the survey tape is located. ya gotta zoom in  and out a bit to get it to show- darned if I can find it tonight but when I do will post it up.
r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 20:56:47 (permalink)
Found it- ZILLOW- put in Altmar real estate for sale = go to the Zillow ad than go to the aireal view and zoom in and out till the lines show. Exactly the lines Clint has been putting up but without the heavy blue color - ya can zoom in and  see the shore through the trees- YEP they don't seem to own to the water in the bulk of the property bordering the river-at least not at the levels in the photo.
Gonna get interesting------

The black and white street map is kinda cartoonish  in regard to the river but also clearly shows the lines well outa the water in most areas-including some of the up river homes,
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/07/22 21:06:43
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 22:45:47 (permalink)
I actually posted that exact picture on their Facebook page and asked if the lines were accurate and if you already do not know I received no reply.  Whenever anyone asks in a nice way or not so nice way there is no reply to any sort of question related to the property line .  They did reply once that at "this" time they were going to allow boats to anchor. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 22:55:29 (permalink)
Sometimes silence is louder than words.  Would suggest anyone going there carry  map copy and be sure of exactly where they are. Always did that deer hunting in Ct on Pvt property for those who thought they knew and really didn't about lines.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/07/22 22:57:12
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/23 05:25:32 (permalink)
They have to allow them to anchor if they don't own the rocks underneath. Someone obviously didn't do their homework before buying the place if they thought they had 100% private fishing rights... Private access YES... There's nothing that should or could stop an angler from getting out and remaining in the water either
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/23 07:19:52 (permalink)
fichy
Selkirk closes 10/18. I'm figuring out when to make some reservations this week.  I'll stay at Stoney's when it's dead empty, but I'm not subjecting Nancy again to some of the crap we've gone through there before Nov. cold drives the party animals out.  I did  well in Pineville last winter, so I'd like to  continue to hang in that area. Snowshoes helped.  I've resigned myself to the loss of the Barrel and Schoolhouse and moved on. In recent years it was the go to place for me. So what.   I'll find somewhere else.  If I get brave, I'm going to stop fishing the Lower Fly Zone and seek out less fish, more solitude; if that's even possible. I know I can find the less fish part.  We'll see what the season brings.

Hey Fichy, I can guarantee to put you in a lot of spots with less fish!  I mastered that part of the river years ago.

L13
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/23 09:54:55 (permalink)
L that is my job when guiding Charlie outside the Zones.

fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/23 17:24:38 (permalink)
One of these days Clint we'll get really unlucky and find an empty  walk-in spot to go about 15 for 20 in.    At least it's fun trying. I've enjoyed our bad days, too. Much better fishing with a friend than when I'm  snapping at Nancy because I can't buy a fish.... Hope the healing is right on schedule. Have you thought of adding trekking poles into your walking regimen?  They add a gentle range of motion exercise and some added balance and shock protection .  I have an extra pair of adjustables  if you want to borrow some high end ones.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/23 18:00:12 (permalink)
Thanks Charlie and your right even the bad days were top notch in my book.  I had not thought about those.  I did fabricate a decent walking stick, but more for defense as the # of foxes and dogs I see are increasing with distance.  I have an apt next week and hoping to add some gentle stretching to the neck as well as some strengthening to the arm and shoulder.  

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 07:55:29 (permalink)
what would stop someone from skirting the north end of the property "where it runs along pucker brush creek" to come out on the downstream side of the school house and fishing it....there are already paths down through the woods and even though they have clearly marked the boundary down through....you can still access it.

wishin i was fishin
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 08:25:46 (permalink)
Just what I was thinking, BB. I might give that a try and let you know how it works. I was curious if anyone, especially you, had done it already. I can do without that spot until cold weather sets in,  I think the guests won't be out there then, anyway. If you have to have that much luxury accommodations on a fishing trip, you probably aren't going to put up with much discomfort; like walking through snow and having cold hands.
Not to say there won't be an increase in the propane powered drift boat traffic....
That long walk HT mentioned would never get me there. I'd stop many times along the way. I'll certainly try it though.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 08:34:30 (permalink)
My thoughts too on coming up from that end. Personally I have only fished that side with Charlie a few times and once when I was eight years old for a school fishing tourney.   I do fish my spin rod on the other side some, especially in higher flows and winter

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 09:01:24 (permalink)
You can get through there from the powerlines.
Parking might be an issue though.
I have fished it from the trestle to school and vise versa but always walked back via the road which you cant do now.It's really not that far, no Furthur then going to the secret spot.
I will most likely just write the south bank off and if I decide to fish that area just do it from the north
Edit: if it is low water ,335 you can cross from the north to the south just above the barrel if you really wanted too. Have done that as well
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/07/24 09:03:52

bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 11:47:33 (permalink)
its not a bad walk back there...yes i've done it  a few times

wishin i was fishin
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 12:03:50 (permalink)
During that tourney my dad knew Nothing about salmon fishing .  We were using worms.  I caught a large shiner or sucker and won second place

pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 12:22:52 (permalink)
Clint S
During that tourney my dad knew Nothing about salmon fishing .  We were using worms.  I caught a large shiner or sucker and won second place

Gotta see a picture or it did n't happen.
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 12:44:06 (permalink)
Tough crowd.   I do remember the prize was a Zebco 202 or 404  or something

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 12:53:40 (permalink)
Just an FYI:
I have seen a 16' fish rite high side drift boat in decent condition for sale in Altmar for $2,500..
That would put you in any spot on the river besides the zones, yes even in dsr as long as you don't anchor

chartist
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 925
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 17:02:36 (permalink)
hot tuna
Just an FYI:
I have seen a 16' fish rite high side drift boat in decent condition for sale in Altmar for $2,500..
That would put you in any spot on the river besides the zones, yes even in dsr as long as you don't anchor

I am in the market for a drift boat.  I'd love to see a picture....
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 19:33:17 (permalink)
Coming in from the downstream looks to be an option, but you would not be able to get above the area that juts out in to the riverbed... I prefer the water above the jut out rather than below...

Twobob: topps makes sub's as well as jrecks... Topps even has a small sitting area as well with a Tim Horton's coffee station
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 19:34:45 (permalink)
Tuna, driftboats would definitely benefit from the shore accesd more so than bank anglers for sure
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 20:38:17 (permalink)
chartist
hot tuna
Just an FYI:

I am in the market for a drift boat.  I'd love to see a picture....

In long before the internet it was about trial and error. Learning and growing, not so much $$$  throwing..
 Today it's too easy. If you think i'm gonna sppon feed ........ Good luck..
We have good folks here that share like wise ideas .. 1/0 are not the same..

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 21:28:44 (permalink)
Just a late night thoughtless..
We are discussing a lost 1/2 river bank of very small piece of real estate to a well known area (in my 35 years) Right or Left .. Yes it is a proven winter holding grounds, yes it is (was, left  ) an easily accessed area.. 
Question:
Will that deter anyone from fishing the SR ?
Does one think that area is any less productive or pressured then the Free . year round zones ?
Are there less fish or the experience any less below say, the school or wires ?
hmmmmmm

Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 22:10:01 (permalink)
I would think that alot of the fisherpeople that frequent that area are spinners and pinners.  That keeps those out of the "zones".   As far as deterring anyone I think not, as the other side is still there  and fishes well.     I really have not fished that side much and fished the free side a little so as far as production I do not know. 

What I  do know is that this place is usually DEAD in July and this thread has been going everyday so we are all chomping at the bit  a little.   I will probably check out the circus a few times this fall just to lay eyes on it. 

r3g3
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/24 22:19:56 (permalink)
       Sometimes  wonder about the more popular and often easier access areas being described as the best and getting heavily pounded. Below the School and  the Ellis area is pounded in late season but a lower walk gives one prime water and usually very little competition. Holes for Winter lies abound in the river.
     Will agree though  that if one knows a small hole that few fish up there it can be gang busters year in and year out.
         Lately am a bit limited to long winter snowy walks so  those easy areas become more attractive - but a longer hike is sometimes  the best IMHO , even much lower.
 Heck, DSR reports fish most all winter so they aren't just up top- yes heavier populated up there as they tend to stack but occasional  walks with little snow down to lower areas have produced some great trips  in the past.
 Not so many fish lower, but great trips are subjective- lol-generally  not much competition down there either.
   Tuna, you mentioned an area the other day that I like to go to late season and mentioned its difficulty in snow- my last deep snow walk in there was just that- the last- got badly winded and stuck in deep snow as the crust gave way, with COPD and Asthma that aint fun actually alone and in trouble it was a bit scarey, took a few difficult  hours to get out. As the crust thaws and ya bust through every other step its a new ballgame getting out compared to getting in some times.
     Still get in there when conditions are better though and kinda keep it quiet lol.
Fish that aren't pounded every day ( cept by boats) all Winter  seem  different.
Think those  guys ya see carrying snow shoes on their back pack know the deal.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/07/25 14:12:21
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/25 19:00:53 (permalink)
I was building a staircase in Manchester today so I stopped in Orvis to say hello and pick up some materials. I tried to coerce a buddy who spends lots of time in the wilderness in search of brookies  to come with me on a shark trip. We had a great pike trip this spring on a trib of Lake Champlain, but your average  pike don't pull like a King.  I want to see his face when a v forms and a huge explosion happens  at the vicinity of his fly. In light of that,  I'm tying a bunch of the pic, which has been my most mauled.  Though I like steel and winter fishing, sharks get my blood boiling. Watching a 3' + fish  turn and race towards your fly with destruction in mind is a sight to savor in memory.  It's probably more productive in some cases and especially  later in the season to use the ol'  black estaz  one oughts and 3/4 oz. of lead, but most fish I've sighted haven't rushed at me azz first.  I'll see if I can get my friend hooked up head-first for a start....

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 9
Jump to: