Big Lake Questions

Author
mrman1976
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points: 0
2014/07/23 19:07:15 (permalink)

Big Lake Questions

Hi there gang, I'm thinking about coming up to try my luck on the big lake Friday.  I've familiar with Presque but don't know any of the other launches in Erie.
Couple of questions.
1.  Can anybody suggest some reading material or offer some general guidelines of where to go once I leave the bay through the channel.
2.  What kinda of tackle works best out there, is drop shotting just as good as it is on the bay?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ryan

6 Replies Related Threads

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    Re: Big Lake Questions 2014/07/23 19:21:47 (permalink)
    1. Where to go when you leave the channel can mean a bunch of things. For Bass you can find em just outside the channel and east all the way to North East from 9 to 30+ FOW. Perch can be found anywhere from 45 to 65 FOW usually somewhere around the point and due North of the point. ( look for the "PACK " ) Walleye can be found anywhere from 45 to 75 FOW usually and from North East to the Ohio line. Just have to find whatcha lookin for.

2. Drop shot works anywhere....

That'll get you started , good luck and be safe.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    mrman1976
    New Angler
    Re: Big Lake Questions 2014/07/23 19:34:10 (permalink)
    Thank you Deetz, I did neglect to mention that I'll be targeting bass, but I'm not against the thought of catching some perch for a dinner......   
    I'll have my boy with me and I've got a 16' side console with a 70 horse so I'll be more worried about the weather patterns and let him get the fish ;) 
    mrman1976
    New Angler
    Re: Big Lake Questions 2014/07/23 22:14:14 (permalink)
    Also, with regard to "wind" if I'm coming out of the bay and continue east, is there a favorable wind I should hope for or look to avoid?

mrman1976
    New Angler
    Re: Big Lake Questions 2014/07/24 08:33:27 (permalink)
    thank you Zippy, gonna send you a pm regarding lakes & spots down around our area.

post edited by mrman1976 - 2014/07/24 08:37:49
    CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Big Lake Questions 2014/07/24 09:34:09 (permalink)
    Wind is your number one concern at Erie. If you launch out of the Bay and head out into the Lake beware of a strong South wind building as the day goes by. A South wind usually keeps the shores fairly calm and is great close to shore along the Lake. The problem is trying to return back into the Channel to the Bay with a strong South wind it can be "very choppy". Your better off launching directly into the Lake from North East if the wind is stronger from the South. The Bay is a good choice to fish if the wind is a stronger North to North West the Lake will usually be too much for smaller boats then. Best bet is check the weather at "Wind and Waves" it will tell you about all you need know. I have a 16' ft. also, won't even think about going unless it say's 2 ft. or less with light variable winds ! Don't forget your properly dated flares it cost me a small fine years ago.
    rmcmillen09
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 827
    Re: Big Lake Questions 2014/07/26 12:29:20 (permalink)
    yes Pa. is into your wallet on anything they can find wrong with your safety equipment. I remember coming in to walnut one evening in the 80,s with a buddy who had changed his nav light bulb in the front of his boat and somehow switched the red and green lenses around? He was awarded a $ 25.00 citation instead of just having him switch them back. also we were safety checked 3 times in one month at the dock there. flares , fire extinguisher , SOS flag , nav lights , throw able flotation device , and life jackets , horn or whistle did I forget anything. I like fishing Ohio less stiff necked folks in green running about and the fuel is even a lot cheaper there.  
    Jump to: