Campground suggestions ?

Author
war eagle
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Reward points: 0
2014/07/20 09:29:22 (permalink)

Campground suggestions ?

Coming up for the fall madness early to mid Oct. have always tent camped at Selkirk Shores and love it but I recently bought a small 5th wheel trailer and was looking for a change of pace. I don't want to stay at a frat house zoo but don't want to be in a convent either. Any suggestions?

24 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/20 15:44:36 (permalink)
    I have a 26' tow behind . Selkirk is usually my go to spot but the wife who don't fish wants something to keep her busy , likes TV and full hook ups . Just north across the rt 3 bridge is Brennan's Beach RV resort . In the summer it is crazy busy and somewhat tight camping. They have lake frontage right to the SR I believe. Full hook ups and lots of activities .
    At or around mid sept - till close in second week oct it is pretty quiet and mostly fishermen.
    A bit pricey but not a bad place to stay either

P.s.
    We have stayed at the lake front sites but it gets real windy. Somewhere in u- z in woods on left is usually our area we like

P.S.S
    the pic in my avtar is from their beach
    post edited by hot tuna - 2014/07/20 17:28:51

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    war eagle
    New Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/20 17:39:00 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice/reply Tuna. How is Bears Sleepy Hollow? Saw it on the Oswego County site but when I went to the campground's site it  didn't give any info. Oh and by the way... wasn't it you on another post talking about eating little necks in Rhode Island? Well to rub your nose in it I'm from/in R.I. and have dug so many this summer I'm almost sick of them. That's payback for the fishing in you've your back yard!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/20 18:02:08 (permalink)
    Yea Eagle it was me.. Just got back from the yearly pilgrimage to Quonny bay .. It's not a bad trip and we dig the fresh dug eats.. See lots ppl fishing and flying the breachway but never catching.. Maybe local tips are in order..

Bears sleepy is just past selkirk towards mexico..
    I stopped there over last weekend to check out a resident site.. They are smaller compared to selkirk or brennan's.. Looked fine (price in line with brennan's) but not what I was looking for (open/close) in my quest..
    If I were to choose between the 2 for a weekend without a price regard as far as Selkirk Shores, it would be Brennans, unless you have a boat and want to fish Little SR out to Mexico bay

war eagle
    New Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/20 18:37:32 (permalink)
    Thanks much Tuna. As far as local tips just like up north you got to get away from the easy access and crowds to find the fish with any kind of consistency. Most of the people you probably see are just killing time getting away from the wife and kids laying the beach( don't ask me how I know this!).
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/20 19:12:19 (permalink)
    Maybe but there seemed some hard core boats hitting the bay and intent fly flingers with baskets hitting the strong tide rips . Still I seen not a rod bent in over 5 years from the walkers but heard the boaters saying a few fluke .
    Honestly I have no real desire to catch ocean fish other then when they run up the mighty muddy hudson or dig in the mud for a few fresh salt water clams..
    Sharks scare me . Lol

troutbum21
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1301
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/20 20:41:21 (permalink)
    Tuna, you definitely are missing out on some fine striper fishing in RI.  Good water around Block Island with some big fish if you happen to hit it right.

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/20 20:55:08 (permalink)
    No doubt. Great fish indeed Gerry but a charter is usually not in the cards while I'm out there.. Got the wife to yak the bay which is pretty good in size so any fishing would mostly be bottom feeders for me or let her yak while I play in the raft and dig .. Again , I'm scared of SHARKS .. Those boats just ain't big enough ..lol

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/20 23:24:06 (permalink)
           Misquamicut (sp) beaches at dawn, before the sun worshipers arrive, and be ready to run cause sometimes they zip down them fast- birds tell the story.
     Kinda like a popper myself but many use a silver flashy spoon.
           Occasional Shark right where the waves break a few feet from shore very early on  some mornings- if the swimmers only knew  lol.
     Never had much breachway channel luck either-even on the outside meeting the salt- but inside the breaches on any bend during the outgoing tides can be pretty good, they set up waiting for stuff to wash outa the ponds.
        One guys way----
     Always observed the majority of those boat guys off shore a hundred or two yards were fluke guys- they drift a favored area and run up and drift it again all day long. Blue and Striper boats seen from shore are  commonly chasing birds  working over the bait pods being pushed up by the bigger fishes.
     Did that stuff for years further into the sound when I had my boat- dumped the boat and got my place in SR country- gotta try it all - only live once.
    post edited by r3g3 - 2014/07/20 23:38:21
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1896
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/21 09:33:09 (permalink)
    http://www.cannonsfishing.com/lodging
    Not a lot of sites, but very close to the  mid and upper river and a little less nuts than some others.  I fished the South County in May and Oct for a string of
    years and chased albies and baby BFT's  with a friends boat. Keep thinking of going back....
    I always caught fish, some very memorable.  Fishing the end of Quonny at sunset on a huge  incoming ,  taking turns  with 6 other jetty rats may be the most dangerous fishing I've ever done.  My wife was waving for me to get the heck out of there. Guys were showing me scars from going down on the rocks.  The SR ain't the only place people swear by Korkers....   One dawn I caught some nice 5 lb. eater blues and kept a few. I put them on a rope down between the rocks. F'in  real rats chewed them up!    Live and learn.  I must admit, I never did that  well unless it was low light or grey and spitting.  Hope you have a great trip war eagle. I'll be tenting it at Selkirk around that time, after taking a run over to the coast.
    dimebrite2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1625
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/21 10:30:28 (permalink)
    I used to hit sleepy bear with a tent or back of truck for years. Always liked it as the back sites were always empty so we usually would set up like we owned the joint. Brennans is probably a better over all experience though.

Mid October will be tough pressure wise. Just about the whole river gets occupied for the most part. Be sure to be persistent
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/21 20:56:39 (permalink)
    db, your account is spot on.. those campgrounds along rt-3 are pretty roll in and be all set at that time of year.. Depends on what creature features one desires.. Something I like along the lake once the summer gang has gone.. Selkirk is still a busy fisher place due to on the cheap, clean and easy..
    Charlie is also right on with the mid river gig.. they however tend to be a bit more busy from the camping river walkers.. Browns, Stoneys, Mid River, Cannons, Fox hollow , AOL and gosh who knows who may let the fires burn and open up to let the masses in.. They all get busy along the river at prime time, they get quiet though once the first snow falls..
    At least they allow camping though and do become quite nice..

twobob
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1674
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/22 10:45:42 (permalink)
    Stayed at Sleepy Hollow one time decades ago.
    Way back in and on the bank of  Grindstone.
    Nice enough but the temp dropped from mid 50s to high of 11.
    Even with layer of cardboard under the tent it was a cold mother of a snowy night.
    Never used any of their facilities so I can't comment on them.

Couldn't get Lucky to move (not an easy task at that time with the whiskey and beer and all whatnot).
    Told him 3 times I was going to Frick n Fracks.
    Third time I started up the engine and was pulling out when he comes crawling out with 1 boot on holding the other in his hand hopping and yelling at me.
    Good times.

PS it went from non stop doubles or triples (good friend Kieth was fishing with us) to the line coating with ice on the backcast and slamming you between the shoulder blades.
    Tough day of fishing.
    Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/23 07:13:12 (permalink)
    I don't remember any way back in at Bear's, I think we were within throwing distance of Route 3, but that could be the all whatnot.  I always preferred the pine grove at Chedmardo's to any of the other camping spots we tried.  Of course, we never stopped at Stoney's, but I am told that during shark season, a gas mask is good equipment to have there. 

L13
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/23 16:49:32 (permalink)
    I didn't mention Ched's because last time I was there the facilities were lets say primitive.
    Best spot by far for a couple of fish heads.
    That storm when the pine tree  got hit by lighting and the stream of drag behind trailers started heading for who knows where was one of the awesome nights of my camping career.
    I can't believe we stayed in the tent while they rolled for cover.

PS pretty sure it was the whatnot.
    We were back in by ourselves.
    Not saying we needed a map compass and native American guide to find our way out but we weren't camped on the edge of rt 3 by any stretch of the imagination.

fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/23 17:13:33 (permalink)
    2b, care to elaborate on Chedmardo's? Never heard of it, but rustic is fine with us. We backpack regularly, and have need of nothing other than some space, even in the dead of winter.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/23 17:17:17 (permalink)
    It's down past Selkirk and bears towards Mexico .

twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/23 17:58:06 (permalink)
    Basicly across Grindstone from Sleepy Hollow.
    The rest room - showers are standard concrete bunkers and there are no state employees to hose  them down twice a day like at Selkirk. Gray not painted white so always a bit dingy looking

Last I was there was about 15 years Mostly motor homes fifthwheeler or drag behind rigs so for them I guess they have there own facilities.

The pines loop had about 10 tent sites set off a little by itself.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/24 07:35:33 (permalink)
    Thanks.
    twobob
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/24 17:12:15 (permalink)
    by the way when lightning hits a pine its different than other trees.
    The high sap content super cooks and they just explode.
    Pine shrapnel for hundreds of feet.
    Very cool.
    fichy
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/24 19:24:56 (permalink)
    2b, I use to work for the USFS outside of Yosemite in the Inyo National Forest. I was helping to fight a fire that was a controlled burn that had gotten out of hand, and witnessed a 200 foot tall Ponderosa explode and the top half  rise  like lift off at Cape Kennedy. We had a pick-up stuck in the loose volcanic soil, we lifted the back end up and out with 4 of us like it was a VW bug and got the heii out of heii. Many of the western conifers have fire resistant bark that boils the sap and increases pressure in the tree until they blow. Doug Firs won't release the  seeds from their cones until they are subjected to a hot fire. The instant thousands of degrees from a lightening strike absolutely detonates  pines. 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/24 20:44:44 (permalink)
    Just to close out my campground report, recommendations..
    I'm booked (with boat) for 8 nights at selkirk aug-9-17.. From then on out it's a crap shoot with plenty options

Lucky13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1949
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/25 07:30:14 (permalink)
    Fichy,

Ched also was not open late, which is I think how we ended up at Bear's in the snow.
    It gets really tough to find a tentsite and plumbing after November 1, since a lot of the water feed lines are just rubber hose, they are risking freeze up.

L13
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/25 12:57:12 (permalink)
    hot tuna
    Just to close out my campground report, recommendations..
    I'm booked (with boat) for 8 nights at selkirk aug-9-17.. From then on out it's a crap shoot with plenty options

Rich,in the local paper today there is a picture of a lady holding a 25# King caught on a charter out of Oswego.They boated 17 in two days so by the time you get there it should be.....FISH ON!

r3g3
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3065
    Re: Campground suggestions ? 2014/07/25 14:10:43 (permalink)
    Will be looking over the bridge at the estuary and watching the show  before ya know it.
    Jump to: