upcoming season

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Author
dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
  • Reward points: 0
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/16 12:27:10 (permalink)
Thanks for the second chance tuna. Will definitely take you up on it. Jack: i'll be darned if I can't catch up with you one of those days you're around

R3: my wife and I bit the bullet and tried the restaurant out recently. Was pretty surprised at the amount of locals there for dinner on a Saturday plus there were quite a few out of Towner's. Have to say all appetizers and meals we had were very good. Service was great... We were happy. The dining area opened up to the bar with the cathedral ceiling was the only downfall with it being very echoey... Believe it or not I was quite shocked at the bill when got it. Thought it was gonna be much more
fichy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/16 12:44:08 (permalink)
pafisher
Well it must be July as the anticipation has begun,and I'm right there with everyone else.I'm booked for "silly" season and the dates are Sept 28 to Oct 2,then again Oct 5th to the 10th.Before or after that there are no concrete plans but who knows?
Hope to see some of you there!

I might be there for most of the 5th through the 10th, can I be your net man? 
Can't wait, Jack.  I hope we get a few more "special"  days in the secret spot.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/16 12:44:12 (permalink)
That's cool DB . Usually only a reputation will allow a restaurant to survive. Can it carry the over head though ? That will be the question .. Just did a run through for lodging and every weekend mid sept- oct had plenty of rooms available .
Jack I will only fish with you if I can be the net man :) looking forward to it . Sorry I see Charlie beat me to it .
I will still just watch you hook up , no sense in even bringing a rod
post edited by hot tuna - 2014/07/16 12:46:02

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/17 13:01:52 (permalink)
Good to hear from you guys and I'm looking forward to fishing with all that want to join in on the shark battles at the "secret" spot.As we get closer to that time maybe we can plan a "after the battle" cook out one evening?
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/17 15:00:27 (permalink)
An after the fight would be great !! And if the river is dead maybe a trip on the Daisy Mae .
Right now I'm sitting on the shores at Rhode Island getting ready to dig for dinner. Ah those little necks will taste ohhh soooo gooood .
See ya soon partner :)

Clint S
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3706
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/17 19:39:41 (permalink)
I could quite possible help out with the location for after cookout or at least some of the food. 

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

twobob
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1674
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 05:35:33 (permalink)
I won't be dining at the Jailwater any time soon simply because of the bank issue.
Even though I haven't fished that stretch in decades it is about the principle.

Might be different if I was a year round resident.

r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 07:27:01 (permalink)
As one who generally  does not fish that particular area  am VERY aware of bank loss anywhere on the Sr as it contributes to overcrowding elsewhere. I deplore it as a general rule.
      Am still awaiting the Ballpark issue. Since it was mentioned a year or so back it seems to have 'gone away' however in life's experience these things seem to commonly come back to haunt us.
    Its easy to blame the new buyers, however, in the case of the Schoolhouse the real culprit is the State of NY for not keeping their eye on the ball. We had a School -heavily subsidized by State and Federal funding and publicly owned- as all schools are- and when it came time to change hands the State fell asleep on the angling rights issue. Possibly they thought the other side was good enough without taking  a 'real life' look at the predictable outcome.
      This was different than a regular private property transfer as the State already had a clear fiscal involvement in the property.
 The new place would be just as well off selling parking to a public fishery at their doorstep and it would seem to have little negative affect on their business IMHO, that side being the 'hard' side to fish anyhow.
   Now the games will begin over the areas fishing -will likely be a big issue in the coming year or two while L/E and Guides and fisher folks get used to whatever happens. All sides will likely push their luck as far as they can hoping to be the one who is 'right' and unfortunately it will all too often end up in a court.
    Remember, if the new place has 'river wardens' like DSR they are paid for and work for a private company-even if they have the right to give tickets they will have a particular mandate from a private business. DSR 'special rules' come to mind.
    Could have easily been avoided with proper PFR for an area already with a great public fiscal  interest now predictably lost and 'off limits'. Again the Ballpark comes to mind-even the present 'owners' have a  public involvement.
   Cant blame the new owners though- thats too easy. The State of NY has done a GREAT job with the SR, and continues to do so,  but gotta keep their eye on the ball that they clearly dropped in this case.
 Bad enough when a private piece gets sold and posted but when a public piece gets sold and posted- someone fell asleep.
post edited by r3g3 - 2014/07/18 07:35:22
troutbum21
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1301
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 09:08:02 (permalink)
Not to beat a dead horse but I have always questioned the State's roll in the sale of the Schoolhouse property.  The property was available for some time so its not as if the State of NY did not know of the pending issues regarding PFR.  On its face it appears that, at least to me, lobbying was involved to keep the State from exercising eminent domain over the fishing rights for the property.  The new owners got their cake and can eat it too.  A win, win, win for the new owners.  Property at a favorable price, fishing rights intact and tax abatement for ten years, what a deal. 
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 09:32:50 (permalink)
Trev they just had my 25th HS reunion up there and I was glad I did not had to make the choice or not to go due to the surgery.  That said this is a double edged sword.   Would Jailwater of even bought the place without the river frontage we do not know.    Since it was a PUBLIC place would our districts residents want to take the chance of the school not selling and sitting vacant like the other 2  by not keeping the bank rights with the property.   I would have to guess if the subject was put up to a vote in our district it would have taken the same course as it did.  It is my understanding that although school districts that get state aid have to adhere to state jimble jumble, the property itself was owned by the district and the districts residents.  I feel the district and it's residents being in it's right mind would have never given in those bank rights. 

That said like you stated above the state could have easily given the district a few $$$$$ 10 to 15 years ago and secured the bank rights with a near 100% approval from the residents.  What district would not want extras money in the coffers.

Do not get the wrong impression from me also, now that it is a done deal I am 100% happy Jailwater is up and running  and I hope they make 20 million a year to help lower my tax bill.  It is a new venture though and once the novelty wears off  the locals will get sick  of paying $100 plus for a meal on Saturday night.  Just glad they have the world  class bass fishery to fall back on.

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing.  ~Babylonian Proverb

troutbum21
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 09:45:39 (permalink)
Clint,  Has your tax assessment gone down now that the school is no longer a liability?  If so, how much?  
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 10:45:47 (permalink)
RGtray I don't think the Jailwater has done anything wrong.
I too blame the state.
I just will not be party to making it a success so others will see it as a good business plan.
That would not be in my (non local as I said) best interest.
Burger and beer at the Alt and Mickey Dees for breakfast.

Locals what is the story with the big A.
Went by earlier this month and it looked like something was going on.

PS the intent wasn't to start on a Jailwater tangent.
Just commented my thoughts after Dimes post.

post edited by twobob - 2014/07/18 10:48:56
r3g3
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3065
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 12:21:38 (permalink)
Agree with Clint on the likely deal on frontage and with Trout on the initial non affect for Altmar's tax base due to the 10 year tax deal.
  In regard to the tax thing - hope the place does real well and stays in business or if it goes downhill doesn't sell in 8 years to someone else who wants a similar deal.
 Also agree with 2b about the tangent- just couldn't help myself.
Predict a separate thread this season as things heat up  - lol
( back to the chair and cooler theory- might get better than Tressel)
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 12:42:02 (permalink)
Gerry yea right.   TB what is the Big A

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 13:20:03 (permalink)
Wasn't Al's the name of the little grocery store by the village work buildings and the old PC (whatever hardware type store it is now) across from Fulton boiler plant?
Looked like they were gutting it to refinish it or emptying the place to go out of business.
Corner of bridge street by High bridge.
hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 13:25:30 (permalink)
I gotta say and don't mean to sound selfish but unless the state raises the price of the launch or campground ( launch included ) I will be a happy camper in salmon country for years to come. Screw the jailwater .. Yes I lost my access there too. I used to frequent that hole very often in the winter, ice is nice now

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 13:54:56 (permalink)
I've always been a fan of the big lake shore camping myself but they close up before the real fish show up.
End up at whichever local dive motel will put up with me  and Lucky!
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 17:57:37 (permalink)
TB that place was Al,s corner market or something, I went in looking for something a while back and they did not have it .  I was not impressed by the quality or selection in there, with Tops up the road not surprised it went under. When I went by the other day in a vicodan induced haze I saw a bunch of equipment around the outside it.  I think it is some sort of equipment rental or small engine/lawnmower place.  I wanted to turn around and see what it was , but the boss said no.  

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 18:29:23 (permalink)
2 b , I have been welcomed at many and not at a few. Hear you about the early camp close but think problem will be solved by taking up residency at Stoney's .

twobob
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 18:52:58 (permalink)
Can't do Stony's.
Long history longer story.
Much like my thoughts on Jailwater on making a choice with my dollars.

For a decade I didn't eat at the McDee's because the owner that opened it fought the snagging ban.
The old sport shop by the bridge after they told me flyfishing for steelhead was stupid and the only way was to buy the heaviest sinking line and strip hard.
Or Tony's after almost getting in a fist fight with him on the river.

fichy
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 19:57:54 (permalink)
Selkirk closes 10/18. I'm figuring out when to make some reservations this week.  I'll stay at Stoney's when it's dead empty, but I'm not subjecting Nancy again to some of the crap we've gone through there before Nov. cold drives the party animals out.  I did  well in Pineville last winter, so I'd like to  continue to hang in that area. Snowshoes helped.  I've resigned myself to the loss of the Barrel and Schoolhouse and moved on. In recent years it was the go to place for me. So what.   I'll find somewhere else.  If I get brave, I'm going to stop fishing the Lower Fly Zone and seek out less fish, more solitude; if that's even possible. I know I can find the less fish part.  We'll see what the season brings.

hot tuna
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 20:09:40 (permalink)
I have had my share of quhams with some places over the years. Some I still won't set foot in due to pig headed. I'm looking for a summer place though at this point, Rogers ( fox hollo ) wasn't bad . Brennan's is off the charts $$$$ and they open/ close too late/ early. Scouted out a few near Mexico but they seemed in line with Brennan's .
Stoney's might just be the climate that suites my clothes until I make the final plunge as db did.
Sooo.
Who will catch the first river salmon in 2014 ?? Got a feeling it will be either way down low in db land or mid river from a 3 can.
Ahhhh the little necks were so sweet tonight

3fan
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 668
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 21:09:09 (permalink)
Tuna glad you hit one brother that's awesome! The season is for sure upon us soon, spent the week in Maine with the family awesome place to visit but living there fagetabout it! Did bring back some friends though!

A few of Acadia national park.

troutbum21
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/18 21:53:25 (permalink)
HT & 3fan, you guys are killing me with talk & photos of fresh clams and lobsters.  I won't be getting up to RI until the last week in August.  Hopefully I'll get my fill of both then.  I'm hearing that the striper fishing in Montauk has been off the hook. 
Going to Rochester in two weeks for a Lake O trip for whatever swims our way.  
Hope to see you guys during silly season.  Enjoy what is left of the Summer. 
Lucky13
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1949
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 07:23:49 (permalink)
troutbum21
Not to beat a dead horse but I have always questioned the State's roll in the sale of the Schoolhouse property.  The property was available for some time so its not as if the State of NY did not know of the pending issues regarding PFR.  On its face it appears that, at least to me, lobbying was involved to keep the State from exercising eminent domain over the fishing rights for the property.  The new owners got their cake and can eat it too.  A win, win, win for the new owners.  Property at a favorable price, fishing rights intact and tax abatement for ten years, what a deal. 

And how do you think that the Andrew Cuomo's of the world raise 30+ Million dollar war chests for re-election?  It is not just by not getting building permits and avoiding reassessments.  Money talks, nobody wades on this side of the river!

L13
Clint S
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 10:18:32 (permalink)
.                                        Not to add to the fire and I know it has been said before, but the property lines or at least the ones on the Oswego co website do not even go into the river for  most of the frontage...........

dimebrite2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1625
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 13:35:59 (permalink)
Clint thank you for posting that. The survey map caught my attention when they were still seeking approvals for planning a year and a half ago. It clearly shows that riverbed and bank is mostly not within property boundaries which leads one to believe that droftboat anchoring and bank walking without trespassing for access should be in the cards for public fishing...

Twobob I hear ya on your opinion.

I was honestly shocked to see the bill at 68 bucks though for two... Each had 1 cocktail... IMO that's reasonably priced for their product and service.
twobob
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 13:51:25 (permalink)
If it is a true fine dining experience that price point is not out of line but still not supporting it with my bucks.
bigbear2012
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 725
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 14:26:44 (permalink)
still haven't walked across the road to the tail hook, but it seems they always have cars there
can't wait for season to start, I've been busy making improvements to the camper :)

wishin i was fishin
fichy
Pro Angler
Re: upcoming season 2014/07/22 14:27:54 (permalink)
Unfortunately, that piece that juts out into the river is the tail of the barrel and the best bank holes in that stretch. I have trouble remembering my name, but will remember a hole within a hole in a spot I haven't fished for 10 years. You can easily wade around the fence to go further down the bank below the bridge, but I suspect you will be quickly in a fight with custodial forces.  Since some of the best  steelhead guides (at least from what I hear and have seen) fish  in that  jutting out area  in the early morning with excellent success, I imagine it'll get heated if the privateers decide they're getting boarded. Since the bank rights begin again below, somewhere in Schoolhouse, my question is how do you access it without crossing from the north bank?  I'm not asking an idle question- I really would like to know. PM's are fine, if someone feels its a spot burner.  I've had some great days jumping off the ice  shelf and fishing froggy edges, would like to still have that option.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 9
Jump to: