So much for OHio....

Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2014/07/08 07:51:11 (permalink)

So much for OHio....

I remember the discussions here pertaining to the deer wars over the past many years. Some of the most anti PGC folks often referred to all of our deer hunters driving to Ohio for their deer hunting.

Well, let's see. They just announced they want to eliminate county based deer management and will be going to DMUs by next fall. No longer have mandatory check stations. Undertook a herd reduction program. Crossbows have been legal for almost 30 years and they allow Sunday hunting in a highly agricultural state. Yes, tougher trespass laws exist there but the main arguments against SH here seem to be safety, resource, and it is not "needed".
post edited by dpms - 2014/07/08 08:17:11

My rifle is a black rifle

8 Replies Related Threads

fishin coyote
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1669
    Re: So much for OHio.... 2014/07/08 08:32:58 (permalink)
    Well I guess if you want to compare apples to oranges......... Go right ahead. While your at it you may as well add... Less hunters, no rifles, longer seasons, ect.
    Ohio is Ohio and Pa. is Pa.
    Mike

edited for spelling
    post edited by fishin coyote - 2014/07/08 08:34:06

Nothing is Free!!
    Reward equals Effort

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: So much for OHio.... 2014/07/08 09:23:35 (permalink)
    At one point, you could say it was apples to oranges, but every year it seems that Ohio is moving from the apple model to our orange model in how they mange their deer. The re is no doubt that despite the claims by some that Ohio "is the model for what deer management should be" it seems they feel that their model needs to adjustments and it just so happens those adjustments are moving towards what PA is doing.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    Re: So much for OHio.... 2014/07/08 09:25:53 (permalink)
    If you look at various forums in other states that are moving this directions as well, there is a very vocal group that is not too happy. It is happening in Ohio, Illinois, Iowa right now. Illinois hunters are all fired up.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    Re: So much for OHio.... 2014/07/08 11:10:21 (permalink)
    I remember the discussions here pertaining to the deer wars over the past many years. Some of the most anti PGC folks often referred to all of our deer hunters driving to Ohio for their deer hunting.

Gee, wonder why?   Maybe because the hunting is so much better?  WIth MANY larger bucks taken, and comparable deer harvests even with many fewer hunters?   Naaa.  Couldn't be. lmao. 

Well, let's see. They just announced they want to eliminate county based deer management and will be going to DMUs by next fall.  No longer have mandatory check stations.

So?   MANY states have units as opposed to county based system.   In many states they just aren't huge as ours...Some are ....some aren't.   Who's right?   

Proposed for this past season
    •" Changing from deer zones to county-by-county deer bag limits. "

Looks like disagreement within the agency. 

"• The elimination of the traditional early muzzleloading rifle season at three public hunting areas in southeast Ohio; and establishing an early-season statewide antlerless-only muzzleloading rifle deer weekend. • Elimination of the bonus deer gun season weekend held two weeks after the regular deer gun season. • An extension of the deer hunting day for gun hunters to 30 minutes after sunset, the same as for bow hunters. • Elimination of urban deer zones."

Ive also never been a big proponent of check stations.  

Undertook a herd reduction program. 

And also have retracted a lot of it.   Didn't leave it in place for 15 years. lmao.   Had more deer than Pa does in many areas, with fewer hunters.    No doubt some hr was needed just as to some degree it was here in places.   But going overboard wasn't the answer.   BUt I find your insinuation that everyone here is clueless and thinks that the herd should increase forever, never to be held in check by more tags etc....   Is nearly as comical as the thought that Pas situation is just necessary routine herd maintenance. lmao.

More from Ohio:

"Why are we removing the antlerless permit from some counties and not others? Simply put, to reduce the antlerless harvest. These permits are a tool implemented in 2007 to increase the amount of harvest pressure on antlerless deer and reduce populations. Now that populations are at or nearing goal in most counties, this is one of the tools we “put back in the toolbox" in order to ease some of the harvest pressure on antlerless deer."

How many "tools" has Pa put "back in the toolbox" after 15 years?  LMAO!   Some at pgc and their little yes men facilitator groups are looking for more!

The biggest problem is pas obtuse goals veiled by the envirotypes at pgc to be very reasonable and responsible, but are anything but.   Ohio doesn't go out counting saplings and directly base their allocations on it year in and year out. lmao.

And quite frankly, if Pas deer hunting was as good as Ohios, I wouldn't care how pgc did it...   But as we all know, improving DEER hunting isn't one of their priorities at all.

What was your point again?
    post edited by wayne c - 2014/07/08 12:36:05

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: So much for OHio.... 2014/07/08 11:20:22 (permalink)
    dpms
    If you look at various forums in other states that are moving this directions as well, there is a very vocal group that is not too happy. It is happening in Ohio, Illinois, Iowa right now. Illinois hunters are all fired up.

And your point is exactly what?   That means Pa is "doing the right thing"?  Or do you see that its a disturbing trend and likely due to the well known national agency involvement and agendas?  

Guess Usp wasn't so crazy after all.  According to some environmental pgc/pfsc types, they were clueless when they pointed to the big picture political agenda as it pertains to deer management.

Although I have yet to see as much disgust to the extreme level of pa's or as much "extremism" on the part of management as Pa.   Closest would possibly have been Wi.   Not sure if that's still the case or not, haven't followed the last years or so to see exactly what if any changes either way have been made.

post edited by wayne c - 2014/07/08 11:21:26

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    Re: So much for OHio.... 2014/07/17 11:52:47 (permalink)
    And your point is exactly what?   That means Pa is "doing the right thing"?  Or do you see that its a disturbing trend and likely due to the well known national agency involvement and agendas?

http://soundbible.com/295-Summer-Crickets-Chirping.html

ShiverMeTimber
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: So much for OHio.... 2014/07/17 15:20:44 (permalink)
    Ever think about why the PA. Game Commission changed from county based management then drastically increased the Elk management areas. I believe 2G is now the new Elk range. Which by the way is surrounded by "The Pennsylvania Wilds". Anybody with any PA. hunting experience
    can tell you this new Elk management area once held one of the heaviest whitetail populations in PA. Rumor has it there's been wispers about increasing the Elk range south to the Maryland state line. History of the PA. Elk herd shows the Elk roamed this same area from WV up through
    NY. I'm no scientist but, I believe Elk and Whitetail Deer compete for the same food and suffer from the same desease(s). Just some food for thought.

Last but, not least Carl Roe was let go by the game commission and that shady deal is now being questioned by the PA. Attorney Generals Office. Seems three commissioners are being looked at also for setting up the $220.000 buy out. Roe's salary was around $100.000 and he had around a year left on his contract. Just read about this in a local newspaper mind you. So you folks that think your game commission can be trusted......
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    Re: So much for OHio.... 2014/07/18 07:16:15 (permalink)
    What's your point DPMS---that Ohio is trying to screw up their "ACTUAL" World Class DEER Hunting. If they are dumb enough to do it we will simply move on to another state. It's no secret that many game agencies are being taken over by radical enviromentalists to the detriment of hunters. It is also no secret that Ohio lost a lot of privately owned land when they went to Sunday hunting just as we did when we went to AR/HR and will again if we go to Sunday hunting. The fact some try to blame it on other factors simply means they are using the same tactics as the politicians spin doctors.

I hunted one area in Ohio last year where they overhunted the deer herd and won't go back there. If it continues statewide I will move my hunting to another state. The simple fact is that deer numbers and hunter numbers were on the up-swing in most states with one notable exception being Pennsylvania through 2010 according to the QDMA. There is now a worry about declining numbers due to PREDATORS, and habitat loss nationwide. Of course our PGC says our predators don't kill deer. 

It's interesting that the folks who initiated the lawsuit for Sunday hunting in PA were the same folks who spent years pushing for deer herd reduction in Pa. I am not sure how a degree in bug biology makes you an expert in deer management. Apparently the only criteria for Pa deer management is a "kill them all" attitude.
    post edited by S-10 - 2014/07/18 07:22:34
    Jump to: