MORE QUESTIONS ON MY 75 HORSE SUZUKI

Author
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2014/07/15 08:58:00 (permalink)

MORE QUESTIONS ON MY 75 HORSE SUZUKI

Can't get the boat in til next week, but judging by the description of the problem as told to the mechanic, can someone tell me what a rod repair job entails and possibly how expensive this may be. Like I said, not for sure this is the problem, but he seems to think the knocking that developed after my oil injectors failed, that it sounds like a rod problem. Took it out the other day after mixing the oil right into the fuel (to make sure the injectors did indeed fail, and they did),  and it started every time and ran, but knocked terribly.  Thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: MORE QUESTIONS ON MY 75 HORSE SUZUKI 2014/07/15 09:41:07 (permalink)
    I work on cars, not boats so much. But rod bearing replacement typically requires major engine tear down. Could be pricey. Sorry to hear that's your problem. I'm glad I took off my oil injection system. Didn't you have an alarm go off when your injection quit?
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    Re: MORE QUESTIONS ON MY 75 HORSE SUZUKI 2014/07/15 10:37:47 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, you will have to tear down the powerhead. At that point, you might as well replace all the connecting rods, bearings, and check pistons out. Parts are fairly cheap, but the labor is where it's at.

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: MORE QUESTIONS ON MY 75 HORSE SUZUKI 2014/07/15 10:50:58 (permalink)
    Sorry about your luck Pike. Had the same thing happen with my 90 horse Evenrude back in 2004. l lucked out with only a scored cylinder which cost me $1200. to repair. Evenrude did kick in $500. to replace the oil injection sysytem. Might want to check with Suzuki just to see if they might do something.

Needless to say, got rid of the Evenrude and while once a fan haven't purchased one since. Even though they are now mfged by Bombardier.

All owners of oil injection systems should be paying attention. My early warning alarm failed, it never activated even though it would beep when I first turned the key.

Mixing a little oil with your gasoline may just save you a few thousand dollars in repairs.

Sorry I can't give you an exact cost for your repair Pike but, wishing you luck it will be minimal and happy fishing.
    pikepredator2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 953
    Re: MORE QUESTIONS ON MY 75 HORSE SUZUKI 2014/07/15 11:48:03 (permalink)
    thanks everyone.  i'm assuming the motors been with the boat from the beginning so that would make it 28 years old and there was no working warning system to let me know there was a problem.  if it's not affordable, going to be winterizing in august and waiting till next year.  pension isn't going to allow it this year.  going to be taking it to Findley Lake Marina.  anyone know anything about them or their prices?  Alex Marine doesn't work on suzukis, and i've only heard that the guy on 26th and greengarden is real pricey.  Findley Lake is a straight shot down Rte 8 for me to Station Rd. 
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re: MORE QUESTIONS ON MY 75 HORSE SUZUKI 2014/07/15 12:10:51 (permalink)
    I would consider keeping your eyes open for a different motor... just my two cents...

I have seen a ton of horror stories about having outboards rebuilt and have had enough issues with "service" that I now do all my own work...

Good luck whichever way you go on this...

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re: MORE QUESTIONS ON MY 75 HORSE SUZUKI 2014/07/15 12:58:55 (permalink)
    That sucks, I was hoping it wasnt the injector. Ok you have several options

A possible solution i would look into is just buying another power head, with some hand tools and maybe one or two speciality tools (fly wheel puller, every brand is different) that can be switched out in a weekend. With out any heavy lifting. I know of a place down by butler that deals with many brand of motors they have power heads in stock... thats one option.

Also keeping an eye open for a used motor as mentioned before, and do not rule out a different brand of motor, that can also be done in an after noon if you have a lift. Bolt pattern of all brands of motors have been standardized. It would give you the option to max out HP of the hull if you havent already.

You can get a good motor for +-2000, possibly cheaper. That would cost as much as rebuilding your existing motor. A new power head will probably run the same amount.

I would first look into a new power head, not rebuild your buying a reman powerhead.

Once you have a price for a reman powerhead, search for used motors, again all brands knowing you will need to switch out controls, still a fairly quick jb you can do.

Last resort, rebuild your motor. I am learly about rebuilding because a ball park price given by a marina can quickly rise if they left out part X or damage they didnt see has occured and need more parts.... only if necessary rebuild, but I am not recomending it at this point 
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    Re: MORE QUESTIONS ON MY 75 HORSE SUZUKI 2014/07/17 13:19:07 (permalink)
    Check this out, but you better hurry...
    http://www.ohiogamefishin...howthread.php?t=262151

Curiosity killed the cat, but for awhile I was a suspect.
    ShiverMeTimber
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re: MORE QUESTIONS ON MY 75 HORSE SUZUKI 2014/07/17 14:27:10 (permalink)
    thanks for the heads-up bulldog.

inquiring minds want to know...... how did you make out with your motor?
    Jump to: