Muskie or bust

Author
skeelol
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 75
  • Reward points: 0
2014/04/03 02:12:11 (permalink)

Muskie or bust

I will not rest until I have caught a Muskie this year, I'm kind of ashamed to be 36 years old, fish as much as I do and never have caught a Muskie. My biggest problem is of course living in the city and not getting out of it much. Another problem is being limited to shore fishing. I'm hoping picking up a pair of waders this year will give me a better shot.

I'm thinking of targeting the Allegheny this year, upwards towards Kittanning. If anybody could hint me some spots in this thread or by PM I'd really appreciate it. Also wide open to any other suggested areas where I might have a better chance of hooking the fish of 10,000...or actually for me, 100,000 casts .

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.

14 Replies Related Threads

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/03 08:00:39 (permalink)
    Do you target them regularly? or just want to catch one by chance while fishing for other specifies? Try the deer creek area or the old mine area by the water plant in harmarville it has produced some nice muskies in the past.  

Got Walleye???
    Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 411
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/03 09:54:50 (permalink)
    I second what bluelagoon said. Some reaallllyyy nice musky have come out of the harmarville area. My buddys personal best last year was pulled out of that pool and was well over 40". If your looking for tigers like the one in my avatar KPD is a great place to start as well. Also, Rule of thumb for me has been the further south you head on the mon the better the musky fishing. If you are going by boat I have some spots I can PM you. Most important thing is to have patience...Musky fishing can drive you absolutely nuts! There is also a PA musky forum online...the guys there really know their stuff and can be extremely helpful. Hope this helps and good luck...Ill be out casting for them this weekend hopefully!
    post edited by Snag_826 - 2014/04/03 10:05:15

"Here's to swimmin' with bow-legged women!"
    skeelol
    Novice Angler
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/04 09:20:22 (permalink)
    I would like to target them instead of catching one by chance. I've found Deer creek on Google maps, where exactly is the water plant? Also what is KPD? Any recommendations on specific lures? My pops recommends walking the dog with large top waters. 

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
    Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/04 09:45:10 (permalink)
    Check your pm inbox skeelol

TheBlueLagoon
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 802
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/04 09:56:19 (permalink)
    skeelol
    I would like to target them instead of catching one by chance. I've found Deer creek on Google maps, where exactly is the water plant? Also what is KPD? Any recommendations on specific lures? My pops recommends walking the dog with large top waters. 

My uncle fishes for them more often than I do, he uses big buck tail spinners and has pretty good success, I've caught them on buck tail spinners, larger cranks/top water lures, such as your dad suggested and a worm harness( fishing for walleye). good luck !

Got Walleye???
    Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/04 10:20:26 (permalink)
    H3Fisher

Don't forget your count from 10,000 casts as well, hahaa. Good luck!

Im prett sure I was at about 20,000 casts and equally as many miles trolling before I hooked into my first one haha.

Also, make sure you have the proper gear, jaw spreaders, a good net or cradle and most importantly EXTREMELY sharp wire cutters. Had a tough time reviving the fish in my avatar because I couldn't cut the hooks off the fish with the dull cutters I had. Oh and make sure to sharpen all you hooks even if the lure is brand new! The hook manufacturers do a half****job usually with keeping their points nice and sharp...Nothing is worse than finally hooking into a fish just to have them toss the lure due to a bad hook set...I know it all too well...

bcain
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/06 02:02:28 (permalink)
    Just a short drive on 51 South to the Smithton section of the Yough. Lot of nice muskie in this river. I have personally seen them but, never caught one. I don't target them though. Most of this river from Jacobs creek to West Newton is fishable with waders. Be careful though. I know of a guy years ago that drowned because he couldn't get out of his waders. This river can be tricky.
    kalninm
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/07 09:59:38 (permalink)
    To be honest I have only caught one myself, while fishing for bass no less however I hooked up with two others that same morning.  I was fishing the tailraces of Raystown lake.  That may be a bit of a drive for you but it is worth it.  Not only is there some great smallmouth fishing a little farther down but there are a ton of different species where I was.  About 50 yards down from the dam there is an overflow pipe that has made a huge hole that is basically a small pond connected to the stream. Not only did we see a number of large bass but we also caught and lost a few musky and saw some big stripers all stuck in this pond area that has been dug out by the overflow pipe.  I'm looking forward to going back this year and I would recommend trying this spot if you are in the area.  That's the extent of my musky knowledge, hope you get your fish!
    skeelol
    Novice Angler
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/08 06:31:35 (permalink)
    I checked out Smithton last summer, not sure why but it was terrible. Not a single bite, river just seemed to be so slow, low, dingy and uneventful. Only fish I came across were some bottom feeders lingering by the shore. Even tried under the bridge where there was some nice current, nada! In fact I've never had very good luck with the Yough, except a nice rainbow I caught in West Newton fishing for smallies. I don't understand it because I know there's plenty of fish in the river, I must be doing it wrong.

Tried Raystown maybe 6-7 years ago, although I can't really say I had much of a good experience just fishing one end with worms, only landed a snapping turtle. Might get out there again someday. 

bcain
    Expert Angler
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/08 22:11:31 (permalink)
    I knew a guy that him and his father used to hammer the muskies between Smithton and West Newton. I honestly couldn't tell you where or how to target them in the Yough. I have personally seen two of the biggest ones I have ever seen in the Yough. One was at the mouth of Jacobs Creek. It slammed a lure of mine when I was a kid but I didn't get it. The other was last year in the Yough near Versailles. That was the larger of the two. It looked to be close to 40" plus. I have seen some huge ones up in Edinboro Lake years ago.
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/10 20:01:14 (permalink)
    Pymatuning would be one of the first lakes I'd say.  But closer to "home" (being "Southside Burg") for you.  Maybe check out Loyalhanna Lake, or the outflow and stretch of creek below the dam.  I've seen some nice Tiger Musky pulled out of there.  Also, Lake Arthur has some very nice Musky as well.  
    jug
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/20 23:40:54 (permalink)
    I'm going to attempt to catch my first musky this year as well. I work in Smithton so that part of the Yough would be very convenient for me. If anyone has any info that could help please shoot me a PM. Wouldn't mind coming across some carp or cats while I'm there either. I know Donegal Lake holds musky as well and I'm familiar with the lake but I don't have a boat so I probably won't be targeting them there.
    post edited by jug - 2014/04/20 23:42:25

I'M ON A MISSION
    IM GOING FISHING
    bcain
    Expert Angler
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/21 00:11:49 (permalink)
    I know a few guys that used to do really well from the 70 Bridge downstream to around Cedar Creek Park. If you go past Dicks Sporting Goods Warehouse, you should be able to go down and cross the tracks and park.
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re: Muskie or bust 2014/04/21 09:31:45 (permalink)
    jug
    I'm going to attempt to catch my first musky this year as well. I work in Smithton so that part of the Yough would be very convenient for me. If anyone has any info that could help please shoot me a PM. Wouldn't mind coming across some carp or cats while I'm there either. I know Donegal Lake holds musky as well and I'm familiar with the lake but I don't have a boat so I probably won't be targeting them there.

I've been fishing Donegal off and on for about 3-4 years and have never seen any recent musky pics or herd any stories...  And the same goes for Saugeye...  I saw a nice close to 20" dead last year near the outflow chute but never caught or seen pics of one.  As for Musky I saw a 30" or so dead at the spillway pool a few seasons ago but that's about it.  I know stopping in at the bait shop at the lake the owner has a few nice pics of musky he's caught and that have been caught, as well as grass carp, but as I said I think the musky numbers in that lake are low or they are just that illusive...  Plus I don't have a boat either, and I would assume the 2 road side launch areas and dam parking areas are not good areas for musky if I were to try, I think the back water area would be a decent spot but I don't have the means to get back there...
    Jump to: