Helpful ReplyChumming Trout Streams With Corn

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/17 09:56:01 (permalink)
rsquared
D-nymph
OMG!  If you swallow bubble gum it's stuck in your stomach forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is as dumb as the myth that corn kills trout.  It's only there for 7 years.  

BoroMusky
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/17 11:03:00 (permalink)
what is the deal with opening day 8 am fishing anyway? Im usually hurting Saturday morning, so I do appreciate the late start... but how/why did it ever get started? Do you like it yes/no why?
anatikus
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 286
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/17 11:44:30 (permalink)
....and its great for cleaning up dirty waders...truly a win win.

fish heads fish heads rolly polly fish heads
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/17 12:10:50 (permalink)
BoroMusky
what is the deal with opening day 8 am fishing anyway? Im usually hurting Saturday morning, so I do appreciate the late start... but how/why did it ever get started? Do you like it yes/no why?

The Circus Clown Union will not let them start before 8 am.. 

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/17 23:42:01 (permalink)
Corn fed beef, corn fed Trout ! Palominos are nothing more than Rainbows that ate to much yellow corn !
SaltWaterRocks
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/18 00:00:42 (permalink)
I knew a guy who would periodically go the night before opening day and buy a 50# bag of trout chow(from a feed store) and feed the entire stocked portion of the creek near his house.  I don't remember his name, but I do remember he had chronic problems with flat tires and broken windows. 
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/18 05:43:56 (permalink)
nwat84
If this happens again call fish and game. He is throwing bait before 8am which to me sounds like they might take that as him trying to fish before 8, which is illegal. :)

You've been watching too many episodes of Wardens on the Outdoor Channel.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/18 20:27:35 (permalink)
I preferred diced carrots for "chumming".. the little squares seem to sink slower than corn ... and because of the flat sides on the carrot pieces they seem to stay in one place much longer than those corn pieces that float off with the current ...

I am thinking about trying frozen peas later this summer when the water warms to help de-frost them ...

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/18 22:01:37 (permalink)
I was fishin tues where a stock truck had recently deposited some fish.
Watched a guy all jacked up on "mountain dew" toss spinners and literally rip the fish out of the water,this went on for a while til the dew' wore off.
He then started calming down and started speaking a Dutch like language to his pals. Even had a fancy cell that kept ringing.
Over heard he lives up yonder where u were fishin and he proclaimed at 1 point how corn was his favorite bait,I just chuckled myself thinking of this post.
PFBC showed up later watched him nervously interact with the man...pretty sure he had more than his limit on a stringer but not 100% so I just enjoyed the show.
I enjoy catchin fish,but sum'people need to learn to play by the rules, Silly Human Race!
Another thing I noticed is people fishing with emerald shiners outside of Erie Tribs clueless about the regs...tried explaining it a few times but most were numb to the facts.Problem as I see it is baitshops far away from lake selling emeralds and not explaining where they can and can not be used.
Tonites rant is dun' sory 2 bug ya'
WCW

mote1977
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 216
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/18 22:40:09 (permalink)
workcanwait....
I was fishin tues where a stock truck had recently deposited some fish.Watched a guy all jacked up on "mountain dew" toss spinners and literally rip the fish out of the water,this went on for a while til the dew' wore off.He then started calming down and started speaking a Dutch like language to his pals. Even had a fancy cell that kept ringing.Over heard he lives up yonder where u were fishin and he proclaimed at 1 point how corn was his favorite bait,I just chuckled myself thinking of this post.PFBC showed up later watched him nervously interact with the man...pretty sure he had more than his limit on a stringer but not 100% so I just enjoyed the show.I enjoy catchin fish,but sum'people need to learn to play by the rules, Silly Human Race!Another thing I noticed is people fishing with emerald shiners outside of Erie Tribs clueless about the regs...tried explaining it a few times but most were numb to the facts.Problem as I see it is baitshops far away from lake selling emeralds and not explaining where they can and can not be used.Tonites rant is dun' sory 2 bug ya'WCW 

There's no law against using emeralds outside of the Erie tribs.
Chris Johnson
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 321
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/18 23:06:13 (permalink)
I tie my weenies with white chenille and spray em with wd40 after every cast.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/19 09:25:50 (permalink)
mote1977
workcanwait....
Another thing I noticed is people fishing with emerald shiners outside of Erie Tribs clueless about the regs...tried explaining it a few times but most were numb to the facts.Problem as I see it is baitshops far away from lake selling emeralds and not explaining where they can and can not be used.Tonites rant is dun' sory 2 bug ya'WCW 

There's no law against using emeralds outside of the Erie tribs.

When I read this I assume emeralds would be included.
Are they being raised elsewhere-I assume the bait shops get them from Lake Erie.I do not claim to know all please correct me if I am wrong.
Do the bait shops somehow get them certified VHS negative hows that work?
WCW
Additional Regulations
Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus (VHS) - An infectious fish disease, caused by a variant of Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus (VHS), has caused fish mortalities in the Great Lakes. The initial list of fish species that are susceptible to VHS includes black crappie, bluegill, bluntnose minnow, brown bullhead, brown trout, burbot, channel catfish, chinook salmon, coho salmon, emerald shiner, freshwater drum, gizzard shad, herring, largemouth bass, muskellunge, northern pike, pink salmon, pumpkinseed, rainbow trout, redhorse sucker, rock bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, white bass, white perch, whitefish and yellow perch.
It is unlawful to transport or cause the transportation of VHS-susceptible species of fish out of the portion of the Lake Erie Watershed in this Commonwealth into other watersheds of this Commonwealth except when certain conditions are met. It is illegal to use VHS-susceptible fish species, fish parts and eggs taken from the Lake Erie Watershed as fishbait in Commonwealth waters outside the Lake Erie Watershed except when the fish are certified as VHS-negative. It is legal to transport dead recreationally caught fish out of the Lake Erie Watershed solely for the purpose of human consumption.
Because of diseases and invasive species, the Commission recommends as a good conservation practice that anglers not transport any live fish out of the Lake Erie Watershed and introduce those fish into other watersheds. For more information on invasive species, please see “Stop Aquatic Nuisance Species.” For more information on VHS, please contact the Commission’s Northwest Regional Office.
jspencer951
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/19 11:17:20 (permalink)
I wish there was a "like" button on this site....
solitario lupo
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 298
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/19 12:17:55 (permalink)

WCW

When I was fishing chataqua lake in ny and bought some shiners. The lady at the bait shop said I had to carry the reciept with me just in case i was stopped. I asked y and she said at the bottom it showed i bought them there and they were vhs free. My guess is bait shops have there own.
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/19 12:45:21 (permalink)
solitario lupo

WCW

When I was fishing chataqua lake in ny and bought some shiners. The lady at the bait shop said I had to carry the reciept with me just in case i was stopped. I asked y and she said at the bottom it showed i bought them there and they were vhs free. My guess is bait shops have there own.
Yeah I think I get it now...
I guese I was the one NUMB to the FACTS-MY BAD!
Still livin en' learning.
Personally I prefer fatheads and do not do a lot of lake fishing.
WCW

pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/19 14:29:12 (permalink)
this is exactly why i don't even think of hitting the streams until the beginning of june.  lets the numbnuts clear out and have the stream all to myself.
Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/19 16:59:18 (permalink)
many places around here are selling "emeralds" that come from Ohio and are certified....
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/19 23:49:06 (permalink)
Ok so I learned me sumthing again from Fish Erie Forums.
Thank u for correcting me and putting me back on course!
My next question to uAll would be do emeralds exist in the wild roud her' other than Lake Erie??? 
Just curious and I know there are regulars on here with the correct anser'.
I grew up in NEPA baitshops only sold fatheads and goldens maybe that will explain my ignorance...but there is probably more 2 it since I am a local here now in NWPA.
If I bug any of you sorry but this site does teach me a thing or two and makes me laugh once in a while so ur' gunna have 2 deal with me 4 now.
I am itching to toss sum dries at sum trout if anyone wants to give me a heads up on current activity I would appreciate it-STRICTLY C&R when I play that game no worries about me thinning the pod.
WCW

Jester2
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 23
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/21 15:07:18 (permalink)
Thanks all for the entertaining thread.  Trolled site, but haven't posted much.  The Allegheny River watershed has naturally occurring Emerald Shiners.  I have no idea how/if bait shops regulate the source of the bait fish sold in certain drainage basins.  Believed that bringing extra bait home to the Allegheny watershed purchased in Lake Erie watershed was prohibited.  Certainly no prohibition from using a shiner that is legally trapped/seined in the watershed from which it was pulled. 

On the Corn front, you're all missing the boat, I have a Whole Kernel Corn fly that works wonders in the DHALO streams I fish--trails only the Fish Pellet Fly, w/ my San Juan Worms and Egg Flies a distant 3rd and 4th respectively.  Purist I'm not . . .but fear not, they are all tied w/ barbless hooks:-)
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/21 18:43:45 (permalink)
We used to chum carp on the Juniata with corn and then use a yellow deer hair "corn" fly.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: