Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
SteelCityAngler
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 40
  • Reward points: 0
2014/03/08 13:16:35 (permalink)

Shenango outflow

Has anyone been fishing Shenango river lately? Conditions? Gates 1, 3 and 5 are open to 1 ft. each so that's good..

37 Replies Related Threads

troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re: Shenango outflow 2014/03/10 20:35:16 (permalink)
    I haven't personally fished it since the end of Feb. Did good with trout throughout the month but that's about it. Hopefully the warmer weather coming within the next few weeks will heat up the fishing for other species as well, and other locations besides Shenango. For someone who doesn't ice fish, I'm anxiously awaiting spring and more open water!!!!
    SteelCityAngler
    New Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2014/03/11 18:39:39 (permalink)
    I believe a year or two ago it was added to approved trout water open to year round fishing. Which is great for catching crappie and walleye too. Just need the stamp. Ima give it a shot this weekend hopefully.
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re: Shenango outflow 2014/03/11 22:14:11 (permalink)
    It's open to year round fishing but trout must be C/R till opening day. http://fishandboat.com/fishpub/summary/yearround.html

post edited by Mags00 - 2014/03/11 22:17:57
    SteelCityAngler
    New Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2014/04/19 16:00:31 (permalink)
    How is shenango fishing? Any species besides trout?
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    Re: Shenango outflow 2014/04/20 08:43:04 (permalink)
    Caught an eye fishing for trout.....suckers too. All on a caddis.

SteelCityAngler
    New Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2014/04/20 17:58:15 (permalink)
    Fished sharpsville n orangeville today. Not crowded due to Easter, but did well on largemouth crappie walleye n perch. Minnows under float n pink worm did well.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2014/04/20 20:33:31 (permalink)
    Mikastorm
    Caught an eye fishing for trout.....suckers too. All on a caddis.

Nice. Anymore if I'm not streamer fishing I'm usually using some type of caddis imitation......both nymphs and on top. That river is just loaded.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 11939
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/05/31 15:57:53 (permalink)
    Gauges showing Shenango at 1/2 foot over normal pool..................

Somebody must have pulled the 'flush handle'; Shenango River gauge, downstream at Transfer, went from 2.5 fow around 3:00am to 4.55 fow at 2:45pm today. 

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

Old fisherman never die; we just smell that way. 

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/01 10:11:57 (permalink)
    At 8:45am this date the gauge, at Shenango Dam Pool, was showing 897.28 (summer pool 894.7) and the river gauge downstream near Transfer hit 9.64 ft.   Outflow water temp. dropped from 71 degrees F. to 68 degrees F.

I'm thinkin' (more like wishful dreaming) chuckin' 1/32 to 1/16 oz. jigs and tubes into the flooded wood, Wed./Thursday, just may produce some hungry fish.  Not likely, the water level will drop quickly as on some other compounds, Shenango is flood control so, Fri. move away from shore (just a hair or two) and vertical jig 8 to 10 fow.

Won't do the weekend now, too dang many irate golfers who couldn't get a tee time blasting around in their kayaks.  

Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a life time. ~Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie (1837–1919)~

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/04 10:59:37 (permalink)
    Okay for you guys............ Nobody saying anything about the happenings at Shenango!

I'm gonna go find out for myself and I ain't saying nothin'.................. SO THERE!

wayneo73
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/04 12:04:31 (permalink)
    water is still pretty high

here's the latest from their FB posting:

Golden Run Access Area, Clark boat launch and ADA fishing pier remain closed due to high pool elevation.
    CURRENT LAKE INFORMATION
    Pool Elevation: 898.17 which is 3 1/2 feet above normal summer pool (894.67)
    Sluice Gates: 1 – 7 are open 2.25 feet each
    River Level at Sharpsville: 5.19 feet
    River Level at Transfer: 3.89 feet
    Air Temp: 57° F
    Water Temp: 69° F
    The weather is clear this morning with no precipitation in the past 24 hours.
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1254
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/04 12:49:58 (permalink)
    I just finished camping and fishing the past 5 days shenango fishing was terrible!!!! I usually always do well there but the storm that rolled thru sun and Monday did a number on lake part looks like chocolate milk water was fast and very high no beaches at banks at campground could just steo on boat. shouls be ok by fri and Saturday .
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/05 00:46:49 (permalink)
    Never let be said I spot burn...... nope not me. Hee he.....

Had a really good day at Shenango.............  So I did!

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/05 14:12:36 (permalink)
    Addendum to:  Hee he.....................

Caught 6 'rockfish' though the biggest, (if I squeezed and stretched the tail) was 18 inches along with my share of 'specks'.

Fishing 10 to 20 FOW using 1/32 to 1/16 oz jigs tipped with a variety of tubes and tails.  Have to say the baits of silver or white produced the best for me and it didn't really seem to matter if I swam them or just let them drop on a tight line.  Color of jig head did not make any difference and I even, just at night fall, swam the jigs under a bobber with no drastic results.  It wasn't "fish on" at every cast and it took a couple of hours (2:00pm to 9:30pm) chunking the jigs to obtain my bounty.  My guess is the fish were on the move seeking dinner and I'd nail a few as they passed by each time.  

Sometimes the bite was aggressive with a 'hit and run' and other times I would feel the weight and set the hook.  I had been getting a lot of 'short strikes' on a black tube with white tentacles so, I thought maybe an all white tube might be the answer, of which, I had nothing of the sort.  I did find some old........ very old....... white marabou jigs with pink heads (hey they were red when I bought em) that I have never had any luck using but what the heck. Nobody around, so I gave them a shot and I did get solid hook-ups allowing for more fish in the live well.

The 'wipers' were a ball to catch on ultra light tackle spooled with 4lb test line.  Casting for the crappies I tried to keep the bait hitting the water as subtle as possible then swim and/or let the jig drop while waiting for the tick or hit and run.  The 'Wipers' on the other hand, I would chuck the jig high allowing for a "plop"  which got answered by a 'ka-bam' as the bait entered the water........ Now that there's fun; I don't care who ya are!

I did try flinging a DareDevil spoon with MH equipment lookin' for one of them; how was that...... oh yeah, "lunker" stripers but no luck or yinz would be seeing the pictures for sure!

Gotta run, need to check the weather, I hear Pymie callin' my name.

Good fishing to all and to all, tight lines!

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/12 12:24:59 (permalink)
    HI..............  did ya miss me?

Took the better half fishing on the mighty Shenango River Lake, the day before today.  It was a great day to go fishing except for the "old hairy guys hoping their junk will grow" with egos bigger than their boat motors.  Geez, I think we could have rode some of the waves "hanging ten" on a surf board.  I know..... I know, I didn't have to go there but I did cause I was hoping the better half would see what fun a 'bigger and faster boat' would be and would let me buy one.  I was told to forget about it; I'd have better results if I'd buy Viag....!

Anyway, the wife was first to call "fish-on" when she hooked a striper while tossing a 1/16 oz jig on 4 lb test line.  Dang near had the fish to the boat when her line wrapped around the rod tip and just as I tried to release the line the fish dove and SNAP!  OHHHHHHHH shhhhhugar, I done it now, should I apologize before looking her in the eye or should I just start swimming?  Suddenly it dawned on me, "STUPID LINE" I hollered, they don't make anything worth a shhhhhhugar today.   Then from behind me I heard, in a gentle voice, "settle down there's more fish to catch, just tie on another jig".   Soooooooo I did and we did, catch more fish, but nothing really worth taking home.

Having had enough of the wave action and screaming  kids being whipped around on ropes we moved to a secluded spot where wakes are not permitted and there's plenty of area for two senior citizens to fish.  As some know I don't 'spot burn' but, I will say, we were between a RR bridge and a huge wall of cement.  Only caught a few small L/M Bass and I wasn't showing much action on the finder either.  

Really happy we moved to this area as we enjoyed eating our sandwiches (baloney and cheese) along with some snacks and drinks under the RR bridge while watching it rain.

Moving on, we tried one more spot where we were entertained again by daddy driving the boat around in circles, pulling the kids on a rope across the previous made waves.  Judging by the angle of the boat motor and bow high in the air this guy was definitely a newbie, possible idiot or, combination thereof.    Surely such a new boat and big motor would come with 'power tilt/trim' and 'instruction manual'!  Eventually he must of figured out how the steering wheel worked as he turned up the lake with the motor still not trimmed, the bow pointed skyward and, screaming kids in tow.

One more time came the call "fish on" as the wife set the hook again, only this time she's 'recommending' I stay clear as she thinks this fish may be a striper.  Only second time she hook's a 'possible striper' and already she's the expert butttttttt, I ain't sayin' a word and, I stayed clear!  Wouldn't ya know, it was and, the wife got the fish in the boat and it measured 16".  Gosh what a rush (relief) it was seeing the better half land this striper and yes, it was with 4lb. test line, using the same color tube (no spot burning) on a 1/16 oz. jig.  We  boated a few more crappie with only one being a keeper so, it went back into the water for maybe another day.

There will be no pictures included today as (speaking again in her gentle voice) the wife says "should any pictures of her and the striper appear on this forum, the biggest of boats nor, Viag.... will help" and, I'd be talking in a much higher voice............  when I wake up in the morning!

I gotta go..................  mow the grass.

Til next time good fishin to all.

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 727
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/12 12:44:39 (permalink)
    Curious BTDT... how do you determine "striper" (by which we can assume you mean hybrid) and white bass on that lake?  Because that "teeth on the tongue" nonsense can suck it.  Arthur is easy, no white bass.  I've caught 16" hybrids and 16" white bass, but not at the same time where I could side-by-side them.  

PS - give up that 4lb test nonsense.  :)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/12 17:35:25 (permalink)
    Sam the white bass has faint stripes of which only one usually goes to the tail while the 'hybrid rock fish' stripes are distinct, and usually broken (difference between the rockfish and hybrid) with several extending to the tail.

Geeeeeeeeeez it just started raining like the proverbial 'cow and flat rock'. 

I rely on the stripes and tooth patch when trying to identify a Rockfish/Striper/Hybrid from a White Bass as the characteristics of the hybrid can vary.  Of course the bigger the fish the more defined the tooth patche(s) and stripes are.     

I don't care for the strong taste of the white bass so taking a undersized 'hybrid' home by mistake is not likely.  Although, I recently watched a cooking show on grilling 'Rockfish' and that got my attention so I will be bringing one of the (legal) 'hybrids' home for a try.

As for the 4 lb test I don't know what to tell ya except I fish for all my crappie, gills, etc using nothing more than ultra lite equipment spooled with 4 lb test.  From time to time I use fatheads or maybe maggots but for the most part I'll be using jigs and plastic.  I do have heavier rods and reels rigged for bigger fish; I just use heavier jigs and bigger plastic!

Til next time............. good fishing and watch out for that proverbial cow!

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/12 17:38:22 (permalink)
    I'm not saying this is perfect but Stripers usually have gold colored eyes and White Bass are usually silver.  I don't keep either so I don't inspect them that good in the smaller size. I just know the hog size ones are Stripers ! 

Gold Eyes

post edited by CAPTAIN HOOK - 2015/06/12 18:15:44
    ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/12 22:44:39 (permalink)
    Huh.  I looked back at some wiper pics and sure enough they have gold eyes.  Can't recall the eyes on the whites I've caught, since it has been awhile.  Pics only go both ways.  

Also, screw PA weather.  Which is why I'm here typing and not catching pigs on the lake.  *(#&@&*$^*(
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/13 14:19:36 (permalink)
    But........ but.. but, Zelie the fish bite best when it's raining......... don't cha know?
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/06/13 14:20:42

ZelieSam
    Expert Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/13 14:42:05 (permalink)
    This rain is full of **** LIGHTNING.  Don't make me find you and slap you.
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/13 14:44:38 (permalink)
    Captain those are some nice fish and the pictures are great but, that one dude is kinda......... well.... never mind! :-)

Just kidding.

I haven't found any info about white bass having silver eyes (staying open minded though) so I'll just toss back anything under the required 18" for the 'hybrids'. Not even sure I'll like the flavor till I can get one on the grill served with a side of home made stewed tomatoes and big helping of home made slaw.

Might even sneak around Authur and see if I can find Sam's hot spot (I hear he don't like to fish in the rain) but, keep that a secret if ya would please.

troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/13 16:32:28 (permalink)
    Interesting observation regarding the eyes.

Looking through all of my photos, all of the hybrids have gold eyes. But many of the white bass also have gold eyes(not just from Shenango.....but locations that don't have hybrids, so no confusion about species). And many others have silver eyes.

Camera angle and lighting could be factors. Who knows haha.

Other than size(you're not gonna catch a 25 inch white bass lol) I think the only for sure way to tell the difference between the two is to look at the tongue patch, or something like that. I haven't paid much attention to that since I don't keep hybrids and very rarely keep white bass.
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/13 16:36:31 (permalink)
    As always those are some hogs Captain haha. Great fish.

I prefer not to, but I can fish through heavy rain just fine..........but as soon as I hear thunder I'm outta there!!

CAPTAIN HOOK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2384
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/16 00:47:50 (permalink)
    Let it rain !

wirenut45
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 152
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/16 07:36:21 (permalink)
    God gets more fishermen in bed with heart attacks than on lakes with lightning. quoted by my gramps. i don,t think you see or hear the one that gets you. i have Frogg Toggs ,n, a bumbershoot, ,n, fish thru the storm , if the wind don,t get too bad. some storms, some lakes, some days, wife ,n, i couldn,t keep up to the bite. good times.(til the rain falls on your neck, then, being trapped in F.Ts, travels down to your"crack, ,n, cold ,n, wet envelopes your "junk" brrrr. lol wire
    ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1254
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/16 10:02:41 (permalink)
    As ive gotten older retired now I can pick and choose my days I want to fish wife and I prefer nicer days now no need to go in inclement weather just because its the weekend or my day off. I must admit I do like to fish in a mild rain but the last couple of weeks forget it. Im also not messing with lightning made it through a lot of issues to be this old and im not about to end it with a shock!!!!!LOL. I do remember my younger years not ever getting out of a rainsuit!!!

icenut(Bill)
    BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/16 10:09:05 (permalink)
    Captain, very nice......... any hints on which bridge is nearby..... RR or HW?

Wirenut, the rain thing down your neck.........just a little more than we needed to know(lol)

BeenThereDoneThat.
    Pro Angler
    Re: Shenango outflow 2015/06/16 23:54:10 (permalink)

Shenango River Lake4 hours ago · 

16 June - At 6:00 pm we opened gates 1 - 7 at the dam to 2.25 feet each, and the outflow depth is 5.23 feet. The 6:00 pm lake elevation is 900.14, about 5 1/2 feet above the normal summer elevation. The river depth at Transfer is 5.69 feet. The total discharge is 2300 cubic feet per second, and the pool is still rising at 0.02 feet per hour. The Clark Boat Launch, ADA Fishing Pier, and Golden Run area are still closed.

Oh well it could be worse, It would really suck to be a Cavaliers fan about now.
    post edited by BeenThereDoneThat. - 2015/06/16 23:57:02

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: