Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
AndyLee
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Reward points: 0
2014/04/14 10:33:45 (permalink)

Chumming Trout Streams With Corn

Can anyone tell me why locals do this, and is it even legal?  Every trout that my group caught and kept this year was absolutely full of corn.   We counted 17 pieces of corn in one Palomino that we cleaned.  Not only this but we saw large amounts of corn on the stream bed.  And the kicker was an older man walked down to the stream just a few minutes before 8:00 am Saturday and started tossing handfuls of corn into the water then walked away.  He wasn't even fishing.   He basically gave a big F-U to the folks lining the streams. 

All of this took place on Oil Creek in Titusville.  This stretch of water was 3 holes spaced within a mile's stretch.  A buddy helped stock this area and they stocked 600+ fish into these three holes but over the opening weekend fewer than 30 trout were caught combined as they were so full of corn they weren't interested in hitting.  Several good and experienced fishermen went the entire weekend without so much as getting a single hit despite the great weather and decent stream conditions. 

It seems to me that the locals are trying to suppress the appetite of the trout over opening weekend until all of the out-of-towners leave, then have the run of the creeks to themselves.  I'm sure they also are killing a lot of the trout with this corn chumming.  The whole thing ****ed me off to spend all that money on travel, lodging, bait, etc.. to have it ruined by a couple of idiots and a few bags of corn.

So is it legal, and should I report it?

Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2852
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/14 10:49:23 (permalink)
It's legal to chum in PA.  Even for trout.  Even corn for trout.  

Informative article on the PFBC website: http://fishandboat.com/im...ish_regs/corn_chum.htm

If it's excessive, and the stream bed is covered like you said, a WCO might potentially consider filing littering charges if he or she felt inclined.  
AndyLee
Novice Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/14 10:55:57 (permalink)
Seems like a B.S. thing to do to me.  Basically this gives locals the ability to chum the hell out of a stream before opening day, fill the trout up with corn that the fish can't digest, then have all the fish for themselves the weeks after the opener.  

workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/14 10:59:58 (permalink)
Yep legal but you are not suppose to litter the water with it.
When I was young and growing up in the POCONOS I would throw corn in holes to see the trout pre season and pick where I was going to fish.
You can really get a feeding frenzy going I fished with it a few times as a kid too.
Those days are long gone now for me I will do a LITTLE chumming once in a while for steelies with eggs but  do not do it when others are around or I will ask the other people if they mind first.
What you encountered seems to be a different story and I bet the PFC would not like to see it but they got their hands full lots of water to cover.
As for the trout not being hungry cause they ate too much corn I am not believing that one....WCW
Pro Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/14 11:27:33 (permalink)
AndyLee
Seems like a B.S. thing to do to me.  Basically this gives locals the ability to chum the hell out of a stream before opening day, fill the trout up with corn that the fish can't digest, then have all the fish for themselves the weeks after the opener.  

Well, if you feel strongly about it, you can call the local WCO and report it and hope he or she has the time and interest to pursue it.  
dakotab
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 358
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/14 12:51:43 (permalink)
I understand your frustration with the first day results.  I think I know exactly where you're talking about.  I've fished that stretch the first day for about 10 years until last year and this because the kids are old enough to go and the place I'm thinking of is not kid friendly.  Anyway if the trout can't digest the corn and are going to die how are the locals going to catch them next week?
AndyLee
Novice Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/14 13:32:36 (permalink)
Locals aren't very bright, that's the problem.  The balls of this guy to walk to the banks of the stream and throw handfuls of corn into the hole just minutes before the first cast of the year. 
workcanwait....
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/14 14:17:21 (permalink)
Wow man relax its just fishin'
If you see something wrong report it.
But to let sum' fool ruin your weekend/week is silly.
I would have been disappointed maybe but moved on to other water and forgotten about it.
Lifes too short to get hung up on these things.
And get over the Locals/Outoftowners thing we are all fisherman.

WCW
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/14 14:50:30 (permalink)
Next year bring your own can of corn and throw it at him when he shows up.

Don't open the can.
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/14 20:01:44 (permalink)
AndyLee
Locals aren't very bright, that's the problem.  The balls of this guy to walk to the banks of the stream and throw handfuls of corn into the hole just minutes before the first cast of the year. 

Not worth the effort........
post edited by ready2fish - 2014/04/14 20:04:54

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
gymi03
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 336
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/15 11:01:39 (permalink)
I don't even know if this is legal, but when I was teen, id bass fish with minnows. I'd throw 4-5 into the lilly pads and let the bass rip them up, then id bait one up and toss it in. very effective.

and before anyone rips on me, I haven't done that in 25 years.
lost sage rod sectio
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/15 14:26:03 (permalink)
Andy Lee Oil Creek was Running at over 800 over the weekend I don't think corn was your biggest problem also the wind gust were 25 to 30 mph and 500 fisherman for each fish in the creek anyone who crawl of an under his or her rock was on the stream that week end. The Oil Creek region does close to 1.5 million $$$$$$ just in that week end alone. At least that is what they claim I  know for a fact that the local chamber of commerce would never lie about that. I know I believe in the Easter Bunny and I hope you do too.!!!!!!!!!!!!
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/15 14:42:27 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Fish5000 2014/05/20 18:04:10
QuestionDuring the last few years, I have seen more and more people using corn for bait. But it seems as if they are now being so bold as to sow the stream with handfuls at a time before casting their lines. I have always had the understanding corn cannot be digested by the trout and they would die from ingesting it. If this is the case, is it illegal to sow corn?AnswerCommission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.
The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.
You also asked about the practice of anglers using handfuls of corn to attract fish - a practice sometimes called "chumming." For waters managed under statewide regulations, chumming with corn or other bait to attract fish would be considered a legal practice, providing that anglers don't get carried away and liberally coat the bottom of the stream with corn. If this were the case, then it could be considered littering. The Commission does not recommend chumming.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/15 14:43:59 (permalink)
Mabee Eggsnag was in the area...

KJH807
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4863
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/15 14:57:43 (permalink)
say his name 2 more times a sh*t will get real interesting

JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/15 23:02:13 (permalink)
Eggy:
 I Have not heard his name on here in a while !
bubbaman
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 239
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/16 11:28:43 (permalink)
not to sound like a pain in the a-- ,but untie the rope around your ankle from the nearest tree and move up or down stream , he can't have that much corn and fish something that tastes better, of all the fish they stock, how many are right where he threw the corn, a lot are a 1/4 mile from where they tossed them in weeks ago
Cold
Pro Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/16 13:11:28 (permalink)
bingsbaits
QuestionDuring the last few years, I have seen more and more people using corn for bait. But it seems as if they are now being so bold as to sow the stream with handfuls at a time before casting their lines. I have always had the understanding corn cannot be digested by the trout and they would die from ingesting it. If this is the case, is it illegal to sow corn?AnswerCommission fisheries biologist Tom Bender at our Benner Spring Fish Research Station conducted a study in 1992 that examined the impact of corn on trout. For the study, two groups of hatchery rainbow trout were held in separate tanks and tested for 54 days. In one tank, 20 rainbow trout (average size 8.3 inches) were fed a diet of whole kernel corn. In the second tank, 20 rainbow trout of the same size were fed a standard trout pellet diet.
During the 54 day study period, no mortalities occurred from trout of either study group. However, study results did show that the trout fed with a corn diet did not digest the corn particularly well. The growth observed by the corn-fed trout during the study period was only about half of that observed from the trout that were fed the standard trout pellet diet.
The conclusion from this study was that there appears to be little reason for concern about the short term health hazards for rainbow trout when whole kernel corn is used for bait. Although there are better diets for trout than whole kernel corn, this study confirms that mortality does not occur when trout ingest whole kernel corn.
You also asked about the practice of anglers using handfuls of corn to attract fish - a practice sometimes called "chumming." For waters managed under statewide regulations, chumming with corn or other bait to attract fish would be considered a legal practice, providing that anglers don't get carried away and liberally coat the bottom of the stream with corn. If this were the case, then it could be considered littering. The Commission does not recommend chumming.

Thanks for posting this.  I remembered reading about this study somewhere along the way, but from seeing both the original post and some of the replies in this thread, I'd decided it wasn't really worth my time or effort to take it seriously and go googling for the reference.

Basically, corn for trout is like junk food.  Not a problem in the short term, but not exactly nutritious, and definitely not great for them to be eating as the main part of their diet.  Luckily, a handful isn't going to make a huge difference, and personally, I'm rooting for the old fart.  Fish that are too stuffed to eat on opening morning means more left over for the rest of the season!
AndyLee
Novice Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/16 13:36:40 (permalink)
bubbaman
not to sound like a pain in the a-- ,but untie the rope around your ankle from the nearest tree and move up or down stream , he can't have that much corn and fish something that tastes better, of all the fish they stock, how many are right where he threw the corn, a lot are a 1/4 mile from where they tossed them in weeks ago

It wasn't one area.  It was 4 holes along a 1/2 mile stretch of stream that happens to be my favorite area to fish.  Even after the big rain you could see pieces of corn lining the bottom of the stream beds.  One fish with nearly 20 pieces of corn in it's gut isn't from a guy throwing a handful in one day, it's from massive chumming for weeks leading up to the opener.  It's no coincidence that nobody in this stretch caught fish all weekend, but when the same guys went a mile north or south on the same stream they caught fish.  

600 stocked fish in that stretch and maybe 20 were caught all weekend.   Nobody knows how many of those fish were killed by not being able to digest the corn, but "fishermen" here want to root for the chummers. 
Cold
Pro Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/16 14:23:57 (permalink)
Nobody knows how many of those fish were killed by not being able to digest the corn

Studies suggest roughly zero.
D-nymph
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6701
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/16 15:36:16 (permalink)
OMG!  If you swallow bubble gum it's stuck in your stomach forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ironhed
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1892
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/16 16:02:38 (permalink)
Did ya ever think about "matching the hatch"...i.e., try some corn! Mighta caught a few more.

Blacktop Charters
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4891
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/16 17:25:25 (permalink)
I don't digest whole kernel corn all that well either, but not only do I still live, but I still get hungry too.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
Pro Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/16 19:58:20 (permalink)
D-nymph
OMG!  If you swallow bubble gum it's stuck in your stomach forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is as dumb as the myth that corn kills trout.  It's only there for 7 years.  

Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9658
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/16 22:14:24 (permalink)
Do these trout make good reubens?

Elvis has just left the building.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/16 22:49:41 (permalink)
Doesn't fish chowder have corn in it. Problem solved...

ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/17 05:50:49 (permalink)
I would like to see this corn lined stream bed for myself. Surely corn will still be there based on your description. Please post exactly where this 1 mile strectch with 3 holes or 1/2 mile stretch with 4 holes, or wherever this area may be.

I just happen to be one of the darn "locals".

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
nwat84
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/17 08:16:40 (permalink)
If this happens again call fish and game. He is throwing bait before 8am which to me sounds like they might take that as him trying to fish before 8, which is illegal. :)
fishin coyote
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1664
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/17 08:36:09 (permalink)
The old boy must have been an out of towner.
We greedy locals only chum with Tide detergent. The fish are easier to get when they float to the surface.
Mike

Nothing is Free!!
Reward equals Effort

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
Re: Chumming Trout Streams With Corn 2014/04/17 09:40:07 (permalink)
Dawn is cheaper and it keeps the ducks clean...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to: