Trout near Emlenton

Author
gfish
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2014/04/15 15:34:49 (permalink)

Trout near Emlenton

Hello, I am new to fly fishing. Not fishing, but just fly fishing. Over the winter in between ice fishing I got my first fly setup. I have gone for steelhead in the Cleveland area a few times but never in PA.  I bought a trout stamp and I have some flys.  Now where to begin?  Any suggestions on a creek within an hr of Emlenton? I have checked the PA game and fish website, but I can't make sense of what is public and private. Feel free to PM me. Also, I understand how it works. I'm not looking to take anyone's honey hole. Just a creek or a river that is worth hitting up in the area.
thanks

8 Replies Related Threads

FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Trout near Emlenton 2014/04/15 19:07:42 (permalink)
    http://www.fisherie.com/Maps
    troutguy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 642
    Re: Trout near Emlenton 2014/04/15 19:27:32 (permalink)
    FishinGuy
    http://www.fisherie.com/Maps

I don't think those are within an hour of Emlenton

No steelhead near there, but if you're still after trout species some bigger streams to try are Neshannock, Oil, Cool Spring, Tionesta, Clarion, Slippery Rock, East Sandy, and I'm sure I'm missing a bunch. Other than one or two small streams, most of my fishing is done a little over a half an hour from Emlenton in different directions. Check out the PFBC lists and maps for different streams. As for public access, there's no gurantees, and the different lists/maps won't even help you out much. Just go to a stream and if you don't see any posted signs and it doesn't look like you're in someones backyard then try it out. All of the special regulation areas will have public access, and you're good if fishing in parks, state forest land, game lands, and the national forest. You have plenty of options in that area. Just look at the different lists and you're set. If you have any specific questions regarding certain streams send me a PM and I'd be happy to help.......but I'm not giving away any secrets Most of the fun is exploring new streams on your own.
    post edited by troutguy - 2014/04/15 19:28:59
    gfish
    New Angler
    Re: Trout near Emlenton 2014/04/15 23:10:54 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies guys.  I'd really like to stay local. I know that means I won't be catching steelhead. I was more thinking of targeting browns or stocked trout. I've never caught a brown, I would really like to.  I live in Columbus but I make frequent trips to Emlenton area. I think I will be there next weekend Saturday and Sunday.  It looks like East Sandy isn't too far.  I will try to do some research and you have given me a starting point to research.

Also, thank you for not just telling me how to use the search bar. I wouldn't know where to begin searching. There are so many little creeks all over the area. All I know are small mouth on the Allegheny and panfish on Khale. If anyone would like help with either of those let me know.

Fly fishing is new to me and its something I have always wanted tot get into. I need to broaden my horizons. ha 
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: Trout near Emlenton 2014/04/16 07:59:53 (permalink)
    Yeah, I thought he was still talking about steelhead
    wayneo73
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: Trout near Emlenton 2014/04/16 11:24:47 (permalink)
    go here for pa stocking info:

http://fbweb.pa.gov/stocking/TroutStockingDetails_GIS.aspx

go to venango county.  each stream lists and upper and lower section of stocking.  those will be links to google maps.  you'll be able to see where those are in relation to the area you visit.  since emlenton is on the boarder of butler and clarion county, check those as well.

here's another good link to play around with:

http://fishandboat.com/county.htm

zoom into your the area you visit then highlight the areas on the right of the map and refresh.

should be enough to get you started.
    gfish
    New Angler
    Re: Trout near Emlenton 2014/04/16 14:00:46 (permalink)
    @Wanyneo73   thanks for posting that link. I actually found that last night thanks to Troutguy's suggestions.  Very user friendly. Plus with the help of the lat long and Google earth I get a good idea as to what I am getting myself into.  

I would imagine these little streams don't stay high long after a good rain. Hopefully, I can hit them up next weekend. The Allegheny looks high right now according to the gauges. I would assumed its a bit chocolate as well. 
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    Re: Trout near Emlenton 2014/04/16 16:07:46 (permalink)
    NW FFO & DHALO

LAWRENCE
    Slippery Rock Creek – 0.5 miles; from Heinz Camp property downstream to 0.25 miles below SR 2022 bridge
    VENANGO
    Little Sandy Creek – 1.3 miles; from the old bridge at Polk Center Pump House downstream to the bridge on Savannah Road (SR 3024)

WARREN
    Caldwell Creek – 1.4 miles; from Selkirk highway bridge downstream to approximately 0.5 miles upstream of the Dotyville Bridge

Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only [view regulation]
    CLARION
    Piney Creek – 1.2 miles; SR 2016 bridge downstream to 0.2 miles upstream of the SR 0066 bridge
    FOREST
    East Hickory Creek – 1.7 miles; from the Queen Creek Bridge downstream to the Otter Creek Bridge

LAWRENCE
    Neshannock Creek – 2.7 miles; from the base of the Mill Dam in Volant downstream to the covered bridge on T-476

MERCER
    Cool Spring Creek – 1.25 miles; from SR 2014 bridge upstream to the abandoned railroad grade

VENANGO
    Oil Creek – 1.6 miles; from bridge at Petroleum Center downstream to railroad bridge at Columbia Farm
    Oil Creek – 1 mile; from the two green posts near the Drake Well Museum downstream to Oil Creek State Park hiking trail bridge

http://www.fish.state.pa....ry/troutregs_nw.htm#cr

A gentleman is someone who can play the accordion, but doesn't.
    ~Tom Waits

wayneo73
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    Re: Trout near Emlenton 2014/04/17 09:49:08 (permalink)
    gfish, the smaller the stream, the quicker it should come down.  the tionesta was running high but pretty clear.  tough fishing on opening weekend on the tionesta.  the smaller creeks should be fine now.  on the drive up, the allegheny was high, fast and muddy.
    Jump to: