Helpful ReplyGlory Day Pics

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
akitadog
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 977
  • Reward points: 0
Re: Glory Day Pics 2014/11/09 18:18:55 (permalink)
i love these old pics. im 39 years old and from the time  i was probably 15 to 18 years old, during school a couple of my friends would always ask me to head to erie with them. i would never go because of hunting season. i finally made my very first trip some where in my late 20,s and since that day ive been to erie every chance i get. summer or winter. the pig pen was shut down by the time i started fishing there. ive heard a ton of stories about the place. these old pics are great. post some more for those who have them.
JEB
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2248
Re: Glory Day Pics 2014/11/10 10:50:14 (permalink)
I still think a little more variety would be nice.
Steelies are the best bang for the buck and do return if not roped by anglers.
But some salmon would be fun as well, mayeb mix it up and stock some every few years. I'd love to see some pinks on even years in good numbers, love them humpies...
The brown seem to be working well and its a nice mix up to just steel.
The last Coho I caught was in 2002 out of the Nut.
But I remember, getting Kings, Cohos,browns and steelies in the early 80's all out of Walnut when I was a wee young lad.
Spinners
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Glory Day Pics 2014/11/12 20:44:05 (permalink)
This thread is amazing!!! I'm fresh blood and can't help but feel disappointed after this glimpse of history.
PooFLinger
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 450
Re: Glory Day Pics 2014/11/12 21:52:56 (permalink)
Yea these sure are some cool pictures hopefully more turn up
silverman31
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 62
Re: Glory Day Pics 2014/11/14 20:47:39 (permalink)
The pictures are really cool, exspecially the Erie salmon fishing days, AWESOME!!  I started the Erie fishing thing in 1994, I remember fishing with 50 to 100 fish in front of me and maybe 1 or 2 fisherman.  I also remember not catching a single fish out of the pods.  I can remember limiting out in a 1/2 hr as well on other days.  There was solitude back in those days but now the fishing has become extremely popular due to the advent of the internet, but hey that is life.  I remember battles with fish that lasted up to 45 minutes only to have the fish break off my flyline at my 20lb backing.  I also remember guys telling me about having 20 to 40 fish days, and i did not believe them, but there was a year I could do no wrong and had 20 to 40 fish days, I could not put the minnies on fast enough.  Since those days though i have been humbled, when a 1 to 3 fish day would be good, but I was also fishing areas where if you ran into 2 persons that was a lot of fishermen.  Oh I also forgot to mention the pen at trout run, I had a rough day on the streams and managed to fall in, I re-clothed and went to the pen in the evening, what a blast that was, fish on about every other cast. The knee and the low back doesn't allow me to move quite as quickly in the streams now, the mind is willing but the body is slow to follow.  

The stories are great and I'll try to post a few steelhead pics, my largest largest, 12lb 40z
post edited by silverman31 - 2014/11/14 20:56:29

Attached Image(s)

silverman31
Novice Angler
Re: Glory Day Pics 2014/11/14 20:58:54 (permalink)
Check out this pod!!

Attached Image(s)

silverman31
Novice Angler
Re: Glory Day Pics 2014/11/14 21:02:11 (permalink)
sorry guys photo would not upload
post edited by silverman31 - 2014/11/14 21:05:55
albionsteelhead
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: Glory Day Pics 2014/11/15 08:05:14 (permalink)
Enjoy reading the comments and other pics - glad to see some other posts and success stories from 'back then'. (I wish I can find the pics of Trout Run from the mid 70's when cars would park on the beach...talk about a circus!  I think you can see a car or two on Captain Hook's post, but honestly there'd be 15-25 cars parked right along the beach!  What an absolute zoo!!)

What I enjoyed though back then were the streams and the way they ran.  I personally enjoyed fishing the pocket water at Walnut before the lower stretches were changed to what it is now.  Not saying it was better - but just liked the challenge of how those small pockets changed from year to year, without the 'holding water' or man made pools that are there now.  I haven't fished Walnut since '96, but still stop by to watch the "show" now and then......

Also, Elk Creek in the 70's and 80's was so much more different.  Yes, streams change from year to year, which is part of the challenge.  But those pics of the falls were just a small portion of some of the best water I'd ever seen. Pool, riffle, pool, fast water, tailouts, pools again - honestly that stretch of water where the old 'hatchery' was by North Creek road was phenomenal.  It's still nice now, but nothing like it was back then.  You literally had a dozen BIG and long areas that stretched quite a distance from which to pick and choose, from where that small feeder creek empties to the tubes, each area having its own distinct personality as to how the water flowed making it challenging yet so exciting. When the falls washed out in early 90's, that area has become more of a fast flowing run with still some nice spots, but nothing like it was then.  Then after the Hurricane aftermaths in 2003 the area from Whiteman's Bridge  to Route 5 changed dramatically all the more.  Still nice water, but it just seemed so much more 'fishable' and appealing as there were a LOT more areas of what I considered  'fishable' water back then.

Enjoy everyone's posts - gotta laugh,  guess I'm still considered a "NEW ANGLER" based on my posts, but still enjoy fishing the Erie area all these years later.    (And I'm still waiting for any other remembrances of when the railroad tubes collapsed in '85(?) - Elk was more of a lake when that happened, and to see that water rush through when it was released truly gave new meaning to the term "blown out!")

P.S.  - I forgot to add one other thing......(sort of like going back to school 40 years later, where the classrooms and halls seemed so much bigger back then.)  But using that analogy, does anyone who fished back then seem to think that Elk has changed from the standpoint of the pools and deeper runs?  Honestly the pools were larger and deeper back then - there's still some areas like that now, but in the 70's and 80's I felt there were a lot more areas of really, really (relatively) deep pools that ran 6 to 8 feet deep, I'd say.  Just an observation, and not saying it's had an effect on my fishing success, but it just seems there's not as many deeper areas on Elk like that years ago.....???
post edited by albionsteelhead - 2014/11/15 10:21:31
CAPTAIN HOOK
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2384
Re:Glory Day Pics 2014/12/08 23:58:38 (permalink)
Albion, I have to agree that the water flows seemed to be more stronger and higher years back. I am mainly speaking of Elk Creek. We always called it the "Winter Water Flow Season" and it seemed to always be higher with a steady green tint. Site fishing was nil for what seemed like months during that stretch. No doubt Elk Creek now runs much lower and narrower with water flows then past years. I think the higher water just held for longer periods. Who knows ?

2003 nice flow today!
troutguy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 642
Re:Glory Day Pics 2015/12/02 11:21:17 (permalink)
bump
genieman77
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2534
Re:Glory Day Pics 2015/12/06 19:24:42 (permalink)
not really all "that" long ago

late 90s/early 00's

Walnut ..gin clear

secret spot ..i believe Fisherboy 86 was with me that day

a honey hole I fished before it got posted

first week of  Sept low/gin clear steelie from Da Nut just below the Manchester hole there were 6-8 steelies in a shallow run.
Two were  dumb enough to chase a pink trout worm

..L.T.A.

cbeagler
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1811
Re:Glory Day Pics 2015/12/12 22:25:38 (permalink)
Thanks, for a moment I was young again.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: