how do u fish a marabou jig ?

Author
PolishfishermNY
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/03 15:27:46 (permalink)

how do u fish a marabou jig ?

HEY GUYS. i tied up 2 marabou jigs using tube jig heads and my question to u guys is how do u fish them?
cause i tested it out in my pool and i dont think its suppose to look the way it is

Fish On!!!!!!

7 Replies Related Threads

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: how do u fish a marabou jig ? 2010/10/03 17:37:08 (permalink)
    looks good to me.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    PolishfishermNY
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: how do u fish a marabou jig ? 2010/10/03 17:47:40 (permalink)
    is the jig head suppose to point downward cause the back end is vertical cause the material floats
    post edited by PolishfishermNY - 2010/10/03 17:48:20

Fish On!!!!!!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: how do u fish a marabou jig ? 2010/10/03 17:48:46 (permalink)
    Fish it under a float like you would drift bait. The only difference with a jig, for me, is that I don't fish them quite as close to the bottom. The steel will come up to hit a jig....sometimes rather ferociously! And don't be afraid to give it lots of action. Jigs seem to work best for me in the dead of winter too. Good Luck.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: how do u fish a marabou jig ? 2010/10/03 19:43:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: PolishfishermNY

is the jig head suppose to point downward cause the back end is vertical cause the material floats

Marabou takes a while to get waterlogged. You can rub the marabou between your fingers(gently) while holding under water when you first tie on and it will help.

There really is no wrong way to fish a  jig.  You can dead drift under a float, twitch them under a float.  The most effective way for me is to sight fish them when possible and swim them across a pool as if they were a minnow just swimming along.

I agree with shut, keep them high. You're not bottom bouncing for walleye/bass, keep them up off the bottom.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: how do u fish a marabou jig ? 2010/10/04 08:58:42 (permalink)
    There is some very good advice here. 

One extremely effective way to fish a jig is to sight fish and cast the jig upstream of the fish and let it drift down past them.  If they do not hit it as it goes by, slowly work it back up past the fish and jig it just in front of the fish and let it drift back down past them again.  Sometimes this spooks the fish and if that is the case this technique is not going to work, but if the fish stand their ground and don't back away too much or at all, keep jigging it up past them and try to keep it in their face.  Sooner or later one of the fish will get angry and attack it.  Bingo, the game is on.  I watched a guy do this one day down on Walnut and he had at least 4 or 5 fish on and landed in a matter of 10 to 15 minutes.  It was amazing.  He really put on a clinic that morning.

Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: how do u fish a marabou jig ? 2010/10/06 00:00:33 (permalink)
    Bughawk is back!!!!!!!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: how do u fish a marabou jig ? 2010/10/06 19:42:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

There is some very good advice here. 

One extremely effective way to fish a jig is to sight fish and cast the jig upstream of the fish and let it drift down past them.  If they do not hit it as it goes by, slowly work it back up past the fish and jig it just in front of the fish and let it drift back down past them again.  Sometimes this spooks the fish and if that is the case this technique is not going to work, but if the fish stand their ground and don't back away too much or at all, keep jigging it up past them and try to keep it in their face.  Sooner or later one of the fish will get angry and attack it.  Bingo, the game is on.  I watched a guy do this one day down on Walnut and he had at least 4 or 5 fish on and landed in a matter of 10 to 15 minutes.  It was amazing.  He really put on a clinic that morning.

Good luck.

Agree, my son says you have to put it in their face and **** them off!
    Jump to: