Huntin' Shanty

Author
bulldog1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5203
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/20 09:17:57 (permalink)

Huntin' Shanty

My son and I have talked about building a "shanty" to hunt from for several years. Since he started hunting we've used a two man ladder stand and while it is a big stand it is a little cramped. Well, I had posts delivered yesterday and we're gonna start construction this weekend. My question is for those who have one or have hunted from one, what is a good size for a two person hut. I was thinking 6 x 8 with an 8' ceiling. Suggestions for window type? I had thought about sliders, but tip outs might be better. Really only want to do this once, so any suggestions or lessons learned would be appreciated. Thanks

15 Replies Related Threads

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/20 09:54:29 (permalink)
    IMO
    Sliders over tip-outs every time.

I'd go with 8x8 just for the extra space, plus all the lumber will be the correct length/size.
    i.e.- You'd just be wasting the 2' of plywood you had to cut off to get your 6' floor dimension.
    Speaking of the floor, a bead of liquid nails, or caulking between the floor joists & deck keeps the annoying floor squeaks to a minimum. Also....screw, don't nail. I've been in one you literally couldn't touch the floor in without alerting every animal within 75 yards you were there.

How tall will it be?
    Stairs are much easier & safer than a ladder, although more costly.

One my dad hunts from has the 'downstairs' closed in with a small wood stove & cot.
    Makes staying out all day easy for him (medical condition)...keeps the 'upstairs' nice n warm too.

One other thought, from experience,...be sure you put a door on it & not just an opening.
    Critters love to spring a surprise as you're climbing in at o'dark thirty....
    ...bad time to scream like a girl.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/20 10:09:45 (permalink)
    A buddy has one build on four full length telephone poles. As you might imagine, wind gusts can make things a little unstable. It's about 8 X 8 with four sliding windows.. they are nice and quiet. Don't let the windows open overnight or you may end up with some visitors next a.m. The "wooden" ladder ain't real exciting however. Be sure to keep up on the ladder annually.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/20 11:10:27 (permalink)
    Bulldog... check out the 'lookout tower' that is at my Mom's farm... it would be worth the trip over to give you an idea on size and what you may be involved with in building it. My stepdad put it up and I'm sure would be glad to give you the grand tour and answer any questions. If you lost their # just send me a pm.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/20 11:20:29 (permalink)
    I bought 16' posts, so I'm guessing I'll have 4' or so in the ground, probably 12' to the floor. This will probably turn in to the Taj Mahal by the time we're done. Thanks for the suggestions, I just hate making mistakes that someone else has already done. At least this time I tried to figure it out before I was done . The plan is to put it close enough to the gas well to run a line for a gas heater. I like the idea of having a room underneath.

I know what you mean about critters. Once I climbed up the ladder in the barn thru a small opening and when my head cleared the opening I was looking face to face with a huge raccoon, not sure how many rungs I hit on the way down that ladder...

Schwen Camper Sales has a pic on their wall of a camper trailer that someone mounted on phone poles, doesn't look like that good of an idea...
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/20 11:26:12 (permalink)
    Like this?

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/20 11:51:21 (permalink)
    That's it duud! I'm thinking it'd be best to leave the alcohol at home with that one...
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/20 18:46:08 (permalink)
    Just remember, the bigger it is the less ground you can cover without moving around the shanty when your up in the air. 12' up I would go with 6'x6' unless your planning on camping out. Go with 2 plexiglass sliders on rollers (no frame)on each side and keep the corner posts above the floor as small as possible(2x4" or 4x4") to avoid blind spots.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/20 18:46:24 (permalink)
    Is this what you are looking to do?

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/23 12:01:26 (permalink)
    That's pretty much it, maybe a little larger I like the idea of sleeping in it the night before so as to not disturb the critters on the pre dawn walk in...
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/23 12:07:45 (permalink)
    It's built with telephone poles buried about 5 ft or so deep, can't give you the exact dimensions but it's pretty good size. For interior room you could just do away with the 'catwalks' on either side. And a room below would be an easy build. It has steps up to it and not a ladder, which I like.... heck of a view from up there!

Let me know if you want to take a look at it and I'll get you the contact info. being able to climb up and get into something like that firsthand may be a good way for you to decide just how big you want to go and what things you do or don't want to do with yours... BTW... I have a framing nailer and compressor you can borrow for the job if you need to... would make it a bit easier when working 20 ft up!
    post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2010/08/23 12:18:34
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/23 13:22:22 (permalink)
    Are you kidding? I couldn't survive without an air nailer! It's amazing how fast you can build stuff by yourself with one of those. Did you replace the trigger in yours? I left mine so you have to pull the trigger each time... less likely to nail ones self in the leg that way....

Stop and get more corn soon, I'm not sure I can eat much more myself...
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/23 15:22:37 (permalink)
    Haven't replaced the trigger yet... mine's set the same, too easy to misfire the other way... I love the air tools... have a framing nailer, finish nailer, brad nailer,roofing nailer, air chisel, air wrench, sander... air tools rank at the top of my want lists for christmas and birthday presents!
    Doubt I'll be around to get corn for at least a few days, heading back to camp myself to do some finish work on the shed Tues/Wed and work Thursday... maybe Friday at earliest I would say.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/26 12:32:55 (permalink)
    [image][/image] Here is one that was built that isn't quite as large.
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/26 22:24:32 (permalink)
    Nice shacks guys/gals!

Bull,
    Last year, we took an old, rusty flatbed trailer(8X10) and built a 8X10 shack on it.  It is mobile and easily moved, with a 4-wheeler, according to deer activity.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    Wayniac
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Huntin' Shanty 2010/08/30 22:45:05 (permalink)
    Bull, We have three shootin shacks, 8X8, 6X6 and a 4X6. The 8X8 is too big in my opinion and its the one I hunt from. You cant look everywhere without standing and moving around. Its all glass except where we sit, we put wood there so the deer couldnt see us moving while we eat or drink. the 6X6 is decent for 2 people and the 4X6 is great for 1 person, You can fit two but when with a kid they are limited to there shot not much room to move around depending on where the deer are standing. My opinion from experience is 6X6 is the best for us. Good luck nothing like hunting from one of those. We used plexi glass and simply made it so it slides down on one stand and over on the other. I used wood window sahes in mine that slide and a couple are hinged si i can fold them down. I dont have pictures sorry. Ours are nothing like the one in the picture above.
    Jump to: