Why downsize

Author
jiggerman41
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/10 19:55:32 (permalink)

Why downsize

This isnt a statement but a question.Why is it that we steelhead fishermen in Pa use the smallest flies possible to catch steelhead?Wouldnt the same steelhead who just ate a size 12 sucker spawn or size 14 blood dot eat a size 6 or 8 sucker spawn or blood dot?Are the fish here really that smart or does size really matter?I see people throwing 1/2 oz spoons in the lake to catch them then read about size 18 to 20 hooks being used in single eggs.Am i putting too much thought into this or is size really that important.

23 Replies Related Threads

troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/10 19:58:22 (permalink)
    you can put as much thought into it as you want i guess , when the tribs are low and clear i don't think i would try a egg pattern on a size 6 hook , just because of the hook size showing too much
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/10 20:28:26 (permalink)
    i say it has more to do with fish being spooked

the fact that you can see every fish in a pool means they can see you and never really let their guard down and enter a consistent feeding habit
    also "stealthy approach" is not really a tactic that is common in erie... more of a dash, splash, and thrash

also it has to do with flows... PA does not have the watershed to allow for high (both height and cfs) flows
    the "fishable" flows will be characterized as low water anywhere else
    look at the guages and/or the conditions... even after high water events Elk will drop within 48hr to previous levels

also
    genetically steelhead and salmon are not supposed to eat during spawning runs
    so a bait/fly/lure is just trying to trigger enough of a response that it will overcome the "task at hand"... add to that any suspicion that your bait/fly is not the "real deal"

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/11 03:08:33 (permalink)
    I'm a clear water, light line guy. I much prefer to see the fish, have them see me, and then figure out what is going to catch them. That's why I like high pressure areas with high fish concentrations. The fish are used to seeing anglers and flies. They see a thousand presentations a day or more. They only eat when they see something that they've eaten before and was safe. That is my style of fishing.

Steelhead in Erie can be a lot like that. Long after you've had a fresh run and emerald water (they eat anything then) you're left with fish that have seen everything, many times over. They've probably been caught a time or two on a 'common' pattern and they've seen thousands of them come through the water, most with drag problems or something else that has taught that fish not to eat it. When you think about the 'common' patterns that the fish are trained not to eat, a 'big' sucker spawn or glo ball is probably number one with some form of bugger right up there. That's what ALL of the shops sell to EVERYONE as a starting fly. So the fish see tons of them and don't bother with them.

Now give them something they haven't seen before and you're immediately 100% better off. You'll at least get a look. If you've presented it well and it isn't so far out there to turn the fish off then he'll eat it. Sucker spawn work because eggs are one of the top things that the fish will eat. It is just that they see so many of them that they get put off. That's why smaller ones work when bigger ones don't. The fish still want to eat them, but they aren't put off.

This is also how you can fish a pool perfectly with an apricot SS and not catch a fish. Swap to pink or lime and pick two up. Switch again and pick up another one or two.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/11 07:05:25 (permalink)
    You should try it. Might work for you.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6360
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/11 11:01:50 (permalink)
    On the other side of the thought I have caught steelhead on big sttreamers when they weren't hitting any thing. Saw a guy getting hits on minnows so I switched and had a great time. Silver/white/green and silver/white/blue have been best for me.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/11 11:40:15 (permalink)
    I was fishing a weekday (back when you have the water to yourself). A big run of fish came in and a fella joined me on a run. One of us threw a size 14 light pink SS and the other a size 8. Both tied with the exact same material. The smaller SS outfished the larger probably 10 to 1. So we switched spots just to see and the smaller still out fished the bigger. We checked the rigs and the split shot amounts were closely matched. Neither fisherman was better than the other.. not sure how difficult it is drifting a hole 15 feet in front of you.

All that said, sometimes big and bulky causes aggression. A huge white bugger is sometimes the ticket in gin clear water. Seems odd, but true.

Spoons mimick alewives and SS mimicks egg clusters. Not that a fresh chromer knows what egg clusters look like, I just think they hit about anything that doesn't spook them. That's not to say they don't actively feed, or target hatches that exist, but I just think their tolerance level of "things" floating by is low, especially when they first come in.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/11 12:19:42 (permalink)
    My best fly was a #8 blue and orange globug last year. Just sayin'
    streamerfisher1
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/11 15:05:12 (permalink)
    well you all have great points and the flow and water color have a lot to do with it.imo low clear water and i do well with very small nympths in fast flowing clear water 12 to 8 sucker spawn and nympths and in dropping cloudy water i usually do well with size 6-8 buggers in darker colors.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/13 11:11:47 (permalink)
    The difference between SS size and midges is the presence of a natural. Fish taking natural size 24 cream midges will refuse a size 20 because it doesn't match the hatch well enough. Certain techniques with hackle and other wing material make a more realistic looking footprint in the meniscus, so the fly that more closely resembles the real thing gets eaten. The difference in effectiveness between a size 14 and a size 8 neon yellow SS has nothing to do with matching a natural bait, at least in my opinion.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/13 11:33:23 (permalink)
    Then there's the matter of inconsistent hook sizing in small hooks.

I can't wait to convince someone that they're only hitting on #20 glo bugs tied on tiemco. They know the difference and want nothing to do with the mustads...unless of course theyre the old mustads from norway.
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/13 14:40:25 (permalink)
    They only hit on prince nymphs tied on size 14 grey shadow partridge nymph hooks, from when they were made in England, with a tag of ruby colored 12/0 Benecci.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/13 14:48:40 (permalink)
    The majority of the Steelhead that I hooked (legally) last season were on a black wooly bugger that I tie on a # 12 Mustad 9672, black marabou, black ostrich herl, and black hackle. In the low and clear, a small, # 16 Mustad 3399, with sparse UV pink dubbing, with or without a bead. Small nymphs did not produce very well for me last season. Foul hooking wasn't much of a problem last season, lots of water around the few fish.

Fishmonger
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 925
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/13 21:24:11 (permalink)
    Straight up, for early season steelhead, I like using a #10 white zonker.....those fresh steelies just crush them...I think they remind them of the shad they ate in the lake....after mid October, I like using a pink crystal meth sucker spawn in size 12......geez, it's like they fight over it......If I had to pick two flies, those would be it.  I nice combo fly rig is a orange/pink glo bug with a black stone fly chaser....deadly.
    post edited by chartist - 2010/08/13 21:26:43
    Tracker12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 174
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/13 22:38:16 (permalink)
    The more I fish  streans whetermit is trout or steelhead the more I believe oresentation is more important than the fly.  I have seen two guys standing side by side using the same rig and one guy still catches more.  Last year I fished Penns creek and watched a guy on three occasions catch a rising fish that my buddy could not get to take the driff.  And that was using the other guys rod.
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/13 22:51:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

They only hit on prince nymphs tied on size 14 grey shadow partridge nymph hooks, from when they were made in England, with a tag of ruby colored 12/0 Benecci.

Dang! I was afraid of that.

chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/14 08:51:45 (permalink)
    I find bug pattern work fine for steelhead....>But for Salmon, I'll leave the bugs at home and go with fish patterns.  I've been reading a lot about sculpin patterns being deadly for salmon.  Seems sculpins raid beds for eggs and fry so the male salmon just want to crush every sculpin they see.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/14 19:54:43 (permalink)
    Sometimes you feel like a nut. Sometimes you feel like a greazy 1/2 pound burger.

Same with the fish.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bugslinger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/15 20:07:11 (permalink)
    I have not had experience with these steelies yet but in retrospect to the question, several times on the Clarion in the day big Bows wouldnt hit anything but black stones in 16 and 18. At night they hit mice and Clousers tied on 4's. I dont know the answer and i realy dont want to know, it would take all of the challenge and gratitude out of fooling and landing a big wary predator.
    chartist
    Expert Angler
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/15 20:25:41 (permalink)
    I find rainbows (steelhead) the easiest of the trouts to catch....Seems they'll hit on just about anything....As I understand it, Salmon basically stop eating when the enter the streams to spawn....but, they're territorial and aggressive.....
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Why downsize 2010/08/15 21:36:42 (permalink)
    Salmon keep eating in the streams. But if you go by most "anglers" they "eat" via the opposite end.

Ever see that one South Park episode?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    NotherOne
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Why downsize 2010/09/03 22:11:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: anadromous

Same question was posed about Midges...Why would a trout eat a 24 but refuse the 20? The answer is because they do. How about sparse hackle as opposed to dense hackle? It amazes me...confounds even, but if we new the answer would we still like to fish???

cool. the mystery is half the attraction.
    Plum Bob
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 575
    RE: Why downsize 2010/09/12 22:00:42 (permalink)
    Selecting fly size for erie sthd is based on taking into cosideration several factors with stream conditions and fishing pressure being most important. For most water conditions, pressured/nervous fish, generally smaller is better.
    troutbert
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Why downsize 2010/09/22 21:55:09 (permalink)
    When the water is high and off color, big egg patterns can work. A friend of mine who lived near Erie said tie some Glo Bugs as big as a silver dollar. I was on Elk Creek one time when it was high and chocolate brown. And those big egg patterns worked under those conditions. When it's low and clear naturally you're going to want to use smaller patterns.
    Jump to: