Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 118
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/20 18:00:34 (permalink)

14 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 18:40:31 (permalink)
    Pflueger Trion GX 7 in Model 4735.  Love my Pflueger - it's the best reel I've ever had.  Very smooth retrieve and drag and won't break the bank.

I'd go with the Medium Light 4735 or the Medium 4740 because it'll provide you with more versatility if you fish for something other than steelhead.  I assume it would come with 2 spools, as most reels do these days.  So fill one spool with your lighter steelhead line - I'd guess you could get about 225 yards of 4 lb. mono or fluorocarbon on - and the second spool with the 8 lb. (says you can get 160 yds. of 8 lb. on the 4735) for summertime bass or other fish.  Or for your steelhead setup, you could run a heavier main line with a lighter leader, and you'll still have plenty of line on the reel.

Have a good friend who likes the Okuma Avenger too.  He uses the AV-15 since he only fishes for steelhead and trout.  He uses 2 lb. Grand Max fluorocarbon on it.  I use 4 lb. Stren clear mono for steelhead & 8 lb. Stren clear mono for bass on my Pflueger. 

We both use a Silstar Pinnacle 9 or 10 foot noodle rod for steel.  You can get from Poor Richards for about $35 and you'll be good to go.  If you buy line at PR, they'll also get it spooled for you, no matter where the reel is from, as will most other bait & tackle shops. 

nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 19:22:53 (permalink)
    shimano sidestab.got 2. love em. worth morth than the $30 they sell for.

W A R N I N G.......keep in mind these are only opinions. they may be dumb, smart, right, or wrong in your eyes.
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 19:24:25 (permalink)
    I have 2 older sidestabs i bought 4 years ago and i'm still using them, i think i paid $30 for each of them at Gander Mountain, 1 is on my light action for trout, its the 1000 series, another is on my medium action i use for bass and whatever else i fish for when i go down to the river, its a 3000 i think, both are beat pretty badly by me and they still work fine and catch whatever i ask them to.

Ronnie
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 19:36:52 (permalink)
    This is way to go. Check out these prices for a spinning reel.http://www.tackledirect.com/zeebaas-zx-series-spinning-reels-manual-bail.html
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 20:50:42 (permalink)
    Come on folks there is one reel that will meet your needs, the  Shimano Stradic.  It will perform well, has a proven track record, and is not overally expensive.  Buy a Stratic and go fishing.  I have two, a 1000 and a 2500.  The 1000 is more than enough reel to handle steelies.  Line it with McCoy Mean Green 4 or 6 lb test and put it on your favorite noodle rod and you will be ready for any steelie in the PA tribs.

pax vobiscum +
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 21:40:48 (permalink)
    NO SUCH THING AS A 30.00 REEL OR A 35.00 ROD THAT IS GOOD FOR ANYTHING. WANT SOMETHING GOOD, PAY THE MONEY. AS FAR AS RODS, LOOMIS 9'6'' STR1141S IN GL3 FOR 230.00 IS ALL YOU WILL EVER NEED. YOU COME UP HERE AND PAY BIG BUCKS FOR GAS, MOTELS,DINNERS, BOOZE, GURU'S SISTER, AND FINES,
    . WHY NOT HAVE GOOD EQUIPMENT ?
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 22:01:10 (permalink)
    expensive "good" equipment wears out too. if i can get 5-10yrs out of a $30 reel thats works just as good, does the same job, and i dont have to worry about anything happening to it in the mean time, thats what i want. what happens when you buy a 250$ rod and/or reel and it gets stolen, broken in travel, or anything else that can easily ruin a rod n reel. your out big bucks and youre gonna spend more to get a new one. something happens to my $30 equipment, i throw it in the garbage and buy another one, im out thirty bucks. im not saying go buy the cheapest equipment you can find, use your best judgement, brand reputation, and knowlege of reels to find a quality reel for a good price. most people that have no clue about their equipment buy that $250 set up just because it was $250. I find good quality mediokrely priced reels buy them and take care of them and i never have a problem. i take em apart every year, clean em, and relubricate em. and they give me more than enough use. i only have only spent maybe $150 in reels over the past 10yrs. and every rod and reel i have still works as good as it did when i bought them. most of us fisherman have bigger priorities and are looking for something that does the job so we can enjoy the sport while not making our families live on oddles n noodles, and mac n cheese. 
    post edited by nightowl207 - 2007/10/20 22:11:32

W A R N I N G.......keep in mind these are only opinions. they may be dumb, smart, right, or wrong in your eyes.
    glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 22:17:40 (permalink)
    GIVE ME A 30 DOLLAR REEL AND I WILL  WEAR IT OUT IN ONE DAY IF I HOOK 25 FISH. YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT THE AVERAGE DAY UP HERE YOU HOOK 10 TO 15 FISH, GOOD DAYS YOU CAN HOOK 30. ADD THAT TO FISHING 30 OR 40 DAYS AND YOU WILL SEE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. ALSO THAT LOOMIS ROD HAS A LIFETIME WARRANTY EVEN IF YOU SLAM YOUR TRUCK DOOR ON IT.  DO THE MATH, PLUS ONCE YOU USE GOOD REELS AND RODS YOU WON'T EVER BE HAPPY WITH THE CHEAP ONES. LIKE DRIVING A FERRARI AND A VOLKSWAGON 
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 22:20:11 (permalink)
    i agree with you bughawk, stradic is a great reel and not a bad price. but if this fella is looking for a reel in the $30-$40 range, i recommend the shimano sidestab. i see these reels in cabelas for $300-$500 thats rediculous. the only reason they put them price tags on them reels is because they wanna dig in them richies pockets because they know the richies will pay it and think their getting something better than everyone else when really there getting the same quality reels. If you wanna pay it, pay it. but its not gonna make you a better fisherman then the guy across the creek with a cheaper priced setup.

nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 22:26:07 (permalink)
    you better look at that warranty. i dont know the replacement policies but ill bet its a one time replacement.

nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 22:31:10 (permalink)
    G.Loomis Limited Lifetime Warranty

G.Loomis rods, custom rod blanks and Syncrotech fly reels are covered by a limited warranty against defects in workmanship and materials for the lifetime of the original owner. GL pushpoles, Venture (Adventure) fly reels, Premier Rods (PMR) and GL fly rod outfits are covered against defects in workmanship and materials for a period of one year from the date of purchase. G.Loomis clothing, hats, bags and accessories are covered against defects in workmanship and materials for a period of 30 days from the date of purchase. Sales receipt or proof of purchase required.

Ship the damaged rod, reel, or accessory item in a disposable container, prepaid and insured, along with a check or money order for $20 (for rods), $10 (for clothing, bags, or accessories), or $5.50 (for reels) to cover return shipping and handling for each claim in the U.S., and a completed copy of our Warranty Return Form.
    Send directly to:

G.Loomis, Inc.
    Warranty Service
    1359 Down River Drive
    Woodland, WA 98674

Should damage occur due to defect, G.Loomis will, at the company's discretion, either repair or replace the product at no charge. Damages occurring due to neglect, accident or normal wear and tear will, at the company's discretion, be repaired or replaced for a specific fee. A full estimate will be provided for your approval before any repair work is initiated.

Should we decide to replace the damaged product, but no longer offer that model, we will replace it with what we determine to be the closest comparable model from our current product line.

In no event shall G.Loomis, Inc. be held liable for incidental or consequential damages due to breach of this warranty or other warranties implied by law.

Some states do not allow limitation on how long an implied warranty lasts nor do they allow for exclusion of incidental or consequential damages; therefore, the above stipulated limitation and/or exclusion may not apply to you.

warranties arent always as good as they seem.
    post edited by nightowl207 - 2007/10/20 22:34:09

nEwBe1
    Avid Angler
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 23:16:33 (permalink)
    wow...thanks for all the info. I am with nightowl on this one. The heck with paying that much for a rod or reel. I would rather buy my family a nice vacation with that kind of money. I think I will check out the shimano sidestab or stradic. Is the stradic made by shimano?
    nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/20 23:19:52 (permalink)
    yes sir.

nEwBe1
    Avid Angler
    RE: Reel Choices? 2007/10/22 11:59:59 (permalink)
    '
    Jump to: