'10 Doe Tags...

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Author
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
  • Reward points: 0
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/18 16:08:59 (permalink)
The parts I had access to were in Allegheny and Washington Counties.  I remember seeing a deer track in the snow in Allegheny County in the mid eighties.  It was the talk of the neighbors for awhile.  Saw few deer then.  In Washington, the farm I hunted was small game primarily.  Saw a few deer but I did all of my deer hunting in northern Butler and southern Venango back then.   

Deer were far from scare in Allegheny and Washington CO. in the mid-80s. Here are the buck and doe harvest for 1986. Allegheny,778 and 1,024, Washington, 1,521,and 2,816 ,Butler 2,498 and 1,695.
I have already said a few times that the are problems with the current DMP. The above has it's flaws but I agree with the steps that have been taken for the most part

The steps that were taken so far were based on lies and misleading statements about the health of our herd and the carrying capacity of the habitat. But I guess that doesn't bother you since as you said you haven't been negative effected by the effects of the plan. Would you still support the plan if the herd in your area was reduced by over 60%?
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/18 17:02:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: deerfly

Deer were far from scare in Allegheny and Washington CO. in the mid-80s.

Would you still support the plan if the herd in your area was reduced by over 60%?

As I said before, where I had access numbers were not there.  That is why I drove to my uncles place in northern Butler. 

As far as 60% in my areas. In Allegheny, yes.  Too many deer in much of the county.

On one particular tract in Washington, not as much as we are at a good number now for the habitat that exists plus what we have added.  If we were forced to reduce numbers on a particular tract, then no, I would not agree with it.  We as hunters pull the trigger though. No one forced it. 

Too many variables to get too particular.  If the surrounded areas are in need of HR, then I would understand and expect our numbers to drop a bit as a result but we as hunters could control our harvest based on our observations in particular areas.

My rifle is a black rifle
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/18 18:03:49 (permalink)
As far as 60% in my areas. In Allegheny, yes.  Too many deer in much of the county.

So, why hasn't the PGC increased the antlerless allocations in 2B like they did in 5C? In 2009 2B had a harvest rate of 17 DPSM while in 5C the rate was 14 DPSM and in 2G it was 2.3 DPSM. So, do you think the hunters that hunt 2G have a legitimate reason to complain?

Are you aware of the fact that that the current deer management team set the goal for 2B at 13 DPSM,while in 5C the goal was 6 DPSM? The current harvest in 5C is over twice the the OWDD proposed by the experts of the PGC and that goal was based on the carrying capacity of the forested habitat, rather than the social carrying capacity. Imagine how low the statewide buck harvest would be if the PGC achieved their statewide goals and 5C was reduced to 6DPSM, 2B was reduced to 13 DPSM and 5B was reduced to 5 DPSM.

If the PGC was actually managing the herd based on forest health, they would still be issuing 1M doe tags , since the majority of the WMUs are still rated as poor for forest health. But, the PGC relies on the fact that the vast majority of the hunters are only concerned about deer management for a month or two ,so they are easily mislead and deceived.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/18 18:55:30 (permalink)

So, why hasn't the PGC increased the antlerless allocations in 2B like they did in 5C?

Can't speak for 2010 but at the spring meeting of 2009, Rosenberry commented on why allocation recommendations were not increased in 2B.  He stated that demand was not there for more than what was already available.  He saw no need to increase allocations if the deer team felt they would not sell out.   I don't know if that has changed or not. 

deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/18 19:59:46 (permalink)
So, are you saying that because the hunters in 2B refused to buy additional doe tags ,the PGC admitted they are unable to control the herd in 2B? If that is true ,why didn't the PGC implement a firearms doe season from Oct. 1 to Feb 1? It would increase hunter opportunity to harvest a doe which is what the PGC has been promoting for years.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/18 20:28:23 (permalink)
I agree that they should expand opportunities in both SRA's.  Longer archery and firearms.  Archery should be September 1st through Febuary non stop IMO.  I have talked to the BOC bout it.

They recently extended late flintlock and archery in the SRA but removed two weeks of firearms. 
post edited by dpms - 2010/07/18 20:52:58

deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/18 20:57:54 (permalink)
The majority of the land area in %C is not designated as an SRA and increasing the harvest opportunities in 5C during archery would in effect destroy the deer firearms season in that WMU since archers are already harvesting more than 50% of the buck harvest.
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 00:52:24 (permalink)
You people in the effected area(s) need to get a beagle, or bird dog if you have to money, and take yourself/your kids small game hunting.  I am sure of one thing, and it is that no one who can help you with your deer woes is reading fishusa MBs.  If you get the hankering, even shoot some raptors(I won't tell on you, and neither would most of our ranks who care about the future of our sport).  Act like it is 1965 in SWPA.  SET A TRAPLINE.  No deer, and lots of small game.  Only now you go to the mountains for squirrels and coyotes, and a few select counties for deer.  You would be amazed at the love kids have for small game hunting.  Really gets them hooked.  Way more then hunting in 20 degree weather for a week, hoping to shoot the last doe in the county.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 07:47:39 (permalink)
In our area the small game hunting is worse than deer hunting. Our wild pheasant population crashed in the 70's and there are so few rabbits it is not worth owning a beagle. The only decent hunting left is for squirrels and groundhogs and in todays world few people want to eat either one.
benthook62
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 83
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 09:43:53 (permalink)
lol, you are right. If hunters keep posting up 50 acre and less properties, there is going to have to be a law made to shoot across the posted ones to the ones you have permission to hunt. 2A, can handle far more deer, why cut the herd? They get shot and eatin. As far as crop damage, the farms are gone, but the food is still good here. And DPMS, im 48, ive hunted properties in 2a, and 2b, as we owned farms in both. All around them the deer were plentifull.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 10:57:36 (permalink)

So, are you saying that because the hunters in 2B refused to buy additional doe tags ,the PGC admitted they are unable to control the herd in 2B? If that is true ,why didn't the PGC implement a firearms doe season from Oct. 1 to Feb 1? It would increase hunter opportunity to harvest a doe which is what the PGC has been promoting for years.

It makes no difference how many tags are sold in 2B, they have never sold out that I can remember. Allocate more tags and nothing will change. The season already runs from mid-sept all the way until the end of Jan with only a few brief breaks. That is of course only if you hunt with a bow.

The problem I see in 2B is that there will never be a way to control the "urban" deer population. Tag allocations and seasons seem to be based on the highly populated areas, where hunter access is almost non existant (not that it is good anywhere in 2B) and also where the most human-deer conflict is happening. Really, all I see ocurring is that the less urban areas are back to having "normal" deer populations and very little has changed with the more urban, problem areas other than the exception of a few small towns allowing "sharpshooters" in to help.

Bottom line is; human densities and a lack of access will continue to make it a struggle to manage 2B effectively for the PGC.

deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 11:11:24 (permalink)
Really, all I see ocurring is that the less urban areas are back to having "normal" deer populations and very little has changed with the more urban, problem areas other than the exception of a few small towns allowing "sharpshooters" in to help.

Do you consider 8 DPSM in 2G to be the "normal population" when the previous goal set by the PGC was 15 DPSM? The last time the population was that low in the NC counties was prior to 1925. WMU 2F is at around 12 DPSM while the previous goal was 17 dPSM. Is that what you would call a normal population?

BTW,can you explain why we have ARs in 2B and 5C when they create a protected class of deer for the vast majority of hunters?
post edited by deerfly - 2010/07/19 11:14:49
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 11:33:33 (permalink)

Well , as usual you are misguided. No one knows more about the conditions on land he owns and hunts than a hunter/landowner,yet you expect hunters that visit an area just a few times a year ,or just when they are hunting,to know enough to decide whether a doe should be harvested or not. That makes absolutely no sense.

Hunter/landowner is going to give you his personal opinion of conditions, which you say is no good.

My immediate area I generally hunt is dmap this year. The entire thing.. thousands of arces. Many places are void of deer in that area. Many have a few. Some places are loaded. The pgc does not and can not give specifics on where the most deer are per square mile. So yes, it is up to the hunter to find them.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
Esox_Hunter
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2393
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 11:56:10 (permalink)

Do you consider 8 DPSM in 2G to be the "normal population" when the previous goal set by the PGC was 15 DPSM? The last time the population was that low in the NC counties was prior to 1925. WMU 2F is at around 12 DPSM while the previous goal was 17 dPSM. Is that what you would call a normal population?

Please, you don't have to put words in my mouth. I never mentioned 2G or 2F and I simply responded to your comments about 2B. I think it is pretty well established that in those WMU's the population is below whats was targeted/expected.

BTW,can you explain why we have ARs in 2B and 5C when they create a protected class of deer for the vast majority of hunters?

Are you implying that we should lift AR's in these regions to kill more bucks(deer)?

I think you are missing my point about 2B. I don't see any improvements coming from the "problem" areas of 2B with really any change in rules/regulations. There is just too much off limits and private non-huntable land where the deer populations are booming. If you can't get hunters into these areas, then how will any rule change impact the herd in these areas?

The only thing that a rule change of that nature will do is diminish deer populations in the more rural parts of 2B, while doing nothing to the "urban" deer. We are already seeing this to an extent now.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 12:41:12 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: benthook62

2A, can handle far more deer, why cut the herd? They get shot and eatin. As far as crop damage, the farms are gone, but the food is still good here.

Browse lines remain evident in some parts of 2A.  Some parts of 2A the numbers are down for sure, others still way to many IMO. 

On one property that I have access to in Washinton, EHD opened our eyes a bit in regards to the benefits of less deer.  Since then we have made a conscious effort to keep the numbers below where they used to be. 

tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 12:56:41 (permalink)

In our area the small game hunting is worse than deer hunting. Our wild pheasant population crashed in the 70's and there are so few rabbits it is not worth owning a beagle. The only decent hunting left is for squirrels and groundhogs and in todays world few people want to eat either one.

I hear you on your rabbit a pheasant issues(good reasons for trapping/hunting predators), but there are still some grouse if you work for them, and lots of squirrels.  And small game meat is WAY better than deer meat, IMO.
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 14:25:37 (permalink)
"Browse lines remain evident in some parts of 2A."

As they are in "some parts" of every wmu, in some localized areas to some extent. Overall the habitat type & yes, condition, imho is as good as it gets in this state.

"Some parts of 2A the numbers are down for sure, others still way to many IMO."

Again, same could be said of any wmu. but why on earth should we care if some land owners CHOOSE to have that many deer on their properties and dont care. Dont utilize any of the tools available, and in many cases dont even allow hunting? Is this the type situation deer management in a unit should be based upon?? Most landowners I know dont manage their lands for, or against deer.. Some allow hunting to anyone, others limited hunting, and in most cases neither have a clue how many deer are killed on those lands from one year to the next. And many couldnt care less if there were 3 or 300 on their properties. And my point is, that its not them making conscious decision in many cases to have tons of deer or very few deer. But if they do want less, then they need to so something about it, other than pgc just jacking up the tags to be used everywhere else in the unit except where needed most.

"On one property that I have access to in Washinton, EHD opened our eyes a bit in regards to the benefits of less deer. Since then we have made a conscious effort to keep the numbers below where they used to be."

I didnt see much benefit from having 80-90% of the herd killed off in some of the areas that got hit that we hunt. I will admit to having seen somewhat more regeneration. Though i didnt see any problem with it to begin with. Especially since when it hit us hard, was in 2007, AFTER our herd reduction for the unit had already supposedly turned into stabilization. So the areas i speak of were already reduced before getting whacked hard by the ehd.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/07/19 14:33:15
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 14:30:16 (permalink)
tippe, i agree about some small game anyway, rabbit is some mighty fine eatin'. Aint ate one in many moons though. Used to hunt'em alot when i was a kid and dad & granddad ran beagles. Never turned my nose up at roast pheasant, Cant beat a grouse on the table either.

deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 16:34:02 (permalink)
Hunter/landowner is going to give you his personal opinion of conditions, which you say is no good.

No, I did not say the opinions of a hunter /land owner were no good. I may have said that those opinions shouldn't be used as the basis for the statewide management plan and I stand by that.

It was always up to the hunters to find the deer ,so that is not the issue. The issue remains that the herd was reduced to levels much lower than the carrying capacity of the habitat for the benefit of DCNR and the timber industry. The issue is that the PGC was supposed to manage the herd based on science but instead they are managing based on lies and misleading information.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 16:41:32 (permalink)
Are you implying that we should lift AR's in these regions to kill more bucks(deer)?

Not only should they be repealed, they should have never been implemented since there was no scientific basis for ARs in the first place.

While I will agree that increasing doe tags will not solve the problem of deer that are protected by posted land, but that didn't prevent the PGC from increasing the allocations in 5C in 2008 and 2009 in an attempt to reduce the huntable herd by 40%.
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/19 21:31:38 (permalink)
Gotta love that new doe system! Got my 1B doe tag. Just enter your SS#
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/20 12:29:31 (permalink)
I checked and still have not been issued tags for 2E.  There are 7700 left.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
RIZ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/20 13:15:12 (permalink)
that's why there are 7700 left, not many have been issued

BIGHEAD
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 670
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/21 05:03:03 (permalink)
Was awarded 1A yesterday. THIS IS THE RIGHT THREAD RIGHT??????? LOL Dave
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/21 07:24:52 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: RIZ

that's why there are 7700 left, not many have been issued

The 13,000 issued represents 65%.

Everyone that I have been in contact with that has sent to this particular County Treasurer has been awarded their license but me.  My concern is that it never got there.  With non-residents able to apply on Monday, that will probably wipe them out.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: '10 Doe Tags... 2010/07/21 07:56:49 (permalink)
A antiquated system that needs a major overhaul.  Unfortuantely, with anything that requires legislative active, tough road to hoe.  Especially when the treasurers are making money off of the current system. 

Page: << < ..67 Showing page 7 of 7
Jump to: