Lake fishin for Steelhead

Author
Texcobb99
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 451
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/19 13:19:12 (permalink)

Lake fishin for Steelhead

I am new to fishing for Steelhead.  I was on the lake yesterday and had 5 hookups, landed only one.  I was flat line trolling and lost most of the fish as I was pulling the rod out of the rod holder.  It is at that point the line broke, close or near to the swivel.  (Lures are expensive...)

What am I doing wrong?  Should I have let the fish run the line before picking up the rod?  I started out using a leader of 4ln test fluro, but switched after 3 misses, and went to 10lb mono......still lost one, same problem.....I finally landed the last fish...

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!!

3 Replies Related Threads

nightowl207
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 567
    RE: Lake fishin for Steelhead 2007/10/19 13:23:24 (permalink)
    you need no use a different knot. sounds like your knot is cutting itself. try a clinch knot.

W A R N I N G.......keep in mind these are only opinions. they may be dumb, smart, right, or wrong in your eyes.
    IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Lake fishin for Steelhead 2007/10/19 14:01:33 (permalink)
    If you are trolling with 4 lb test you are going to get broken off almost every time.  The force of a steelie hitting that light of line when you are trolling anywhere from 1.5 to 3 mph will break after the hit almost instantly.  Try beefing up your line to 15 lb test when trolling and you should be okay...same for the leader material (flourocarbon is what we mainly use). 

When you're in the creeks you can get away with 4 lb test easy with a good drag system but when you're trolling you need something that will withstand the initial hit and hook-set.  Steelies hit with a lot of force when you're trolling lures...they tend to just suck in flies when they're in the creeks.
    Fisher of Men
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Lake fishin for Steelhead 2007/10/20 09:55:44 (permalink)
    Texcobb

I have a few suggestions.  One - I use polymer knot on all my connections.  My basic line is 17lb clear and I use a high quality flurocarbon leader about six foot.  Poor Richards has the good stuff.  (don't get Vanish). Another thing is to make sure your drag is set loose enough so you can easily pull line out with your hand but tight enough that it will not play out when your trolling.  I used level line baitcast reels with line counters.  I always have the clickers on when trolling because you can hear the fish rip line right away.

I troll shallow in the fall.  I will troll anywhere from 5ft to 20 ft. deep.  The shallower the shorter I run the plug back.  5ft I will usually run 20-25ft back. Hope this helps

Fisher of Men

George Yates
    email: george.yates@comcast.net
    Fishing Boat: "Fisher of Men"
    Matthew 4:19
    Jesus said, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." (NAS)
     >  ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.

>  ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><(((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Jump to: