East Side Streams

Author
Torb
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/17 14:26:15 (permalink)

East Side Streams

Can anyone tell me if the East side streams, specifically 12-mile, are fishable at all right now? Also if you are fishing the lake at the maouth of the stream is it still as important to downsize your line and presentations or do you need to go with a heavier line than you'd normally fish in the streams. WE use 4 lb FC in the streams for various reasons and I was not sure if that was the case for the lake as well. Not rally interested in a steelie spooling me in the lake so your help is appreciated.

Hope for Rain soon.

8 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: East Side Streams 2007/10/17 15:28:03 (permalink)
    Sure, they're fishable.  There's just one problem.  There's no fish.  Unless some grew legs and decided to walk upstream.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: East Side Streams 2007/10/17 15:48:27 (permalink)
    Torb -

A few weeks ago, just for giggles, I took a look at 7 mile during the middle of the day when the fishin' at the Nut was slow.  Of course, I had my gear, 'cause you just never know.  Came along one of the nuns on the path down to the lake and she said, "My, you're hopeful aren't you?  I haven't seen a fish in here for months."  Don't know about the other eastside streams, but from what I saw it didn't even look possible for a steelhead to get into 7 mile if it wanted to.  There was a trickle, and I mean trickle, about a foot wide and and inch deep the last 10 yards to the lake.  So, yeah, what T.T. says is pretty much true.

By the way T.T., what's up with "Start Wearing Purple?"
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: East Side Streams 2007/10/17 15:53:02 (permalink)
    Google it.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: East Side Streams 2007/10/17 16:11:53 (permalink)
    I have been enlightened, I think. 
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: East Side Streams 2007/10/17 17:35:31 (permalink)
    i caught 6 fish in 4 streams on sunday.  only 1 of which was on the west side.  a few are there, but work extra hard.  and no matter where you are right now the most active fish are at the mouths or real close each way to it.  if they are there they will chase.  the further up you go, the harder it gets.  landed a 30 inch hen on sunday that almost took the rod out of my hands.  hint:  they want to chase.  put it this way at 20 mile i was glad to see most guys plunking bait or floating something because all the active fish there were following what i had instead of looking to hit an egg or anything slowly drifting by.  dont give them a chance to think about it.  dont get too excited either, there are very very few fish on the east side except for 20 mile.  and 20 is no fish fest either.  i dont really like to post this stuff but i wont be back till the weekend after this one and after seeing some of the pics of elk i would like to encourage everyone to spread out.  im sorry but the wall at walnut can not even compare to some of those pics of elk.  elbow to elbow was my cup of tea a few weeks back and i slammed many fish but that fix is over.  a few fish, some good walks, and a little more peace from here on out.  the big fish came last week at the end of my day after walking plenty of water with no fish in sight.  wouldnt have had it any other way. 
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: East Side Streams 2007/10/17 22:25:43 (permalink)
    I guess everyone else is blind, because I haven't heard of, or seen a fish in 4, 7, 12 since last spring. And the sister is a liar too, keeping the fish for herself.  Seven barely has enough water to hold a goldfish.

Torb
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: East Side Streams 2007/10/18 07:46:59 (permalink)
    Thanks Guys I kind of figured that would be the case hopefully Erie gets the rain they're calling for over the next few days and the streams will look like Rt. 5 in Cali from all the SH that come into them. I guess we'll wait to hear how things go but thanks again for the info.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: East Side Streams 2007/10/18 15:30:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: FiveMilePete

I guess everyone else is blind, because I haven't heard of, or seen a fish in 4, 7, 12 since last spring. And the sister is a liar too, keeping the fish for herself.  Seven barely has enough water to hold a goldfish.

if you walked any of these creeks in the last few days you'd find that one of those you mentioned does have fish in it and has had at least a few in it since the beginning of september and always does.  i was one of two people to catch fish their sunday.  get some polarized shades if you're not seeing them.  enough to bother fishing there no but i had a rod in my hands on what was supposed to be just a good walk. 
    Jump to: