Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 16:57:24 (permalink)
I said previously: "I dont believe you heard anything counter to them completely and totally supporting the deer management plan direction as they have done all along, and continue to do."

Although id like to point out i highly doubt, given the way they were trained and by whom, that they are highly supportive of the slight changes made recently by the boc attempting to gain a fee increase. Nor would anything even remotely interpreted by them as not strictly "staying the course" likely be supported.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/24 16:59:41
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 17:44:33 (permalink)
The fact that Palone is promoting Nyce is reason enough for me to believe NYCE supports the current DMP, but it is not enough for me to write emails opposing her appointment. I searched for any statements she made regarding the current plan, but didn't find anything. Does anyone have any direct quotes from her regarding the DMP.?
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 18:19:38 (permalink)
Deerfly, just curious, had you written emails opposing appointment of Palone? Schleiden? Isabella? Any of the other commissioners that have taken seats presently or in the past?

If not, why not?

If so, how did you know ahead of time they were about to throw deer management into a tailspin?

post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/24 18:20:02
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 18:39:14 (permalink)
No, I didn't oppose any of the BOC you listed for the same reason I am reluctant to oppose Nyce. I didn't have any specific information that would indicate they would support a reduction of over 50% in some WMUs. IMHO, being a member of the Audubon, SCI and the Farm Bureau is not enough to automatically disqualify a candidate .
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 18:42:44 (permalink)
I have seen alot here but this nominee being called "anti-deer" is a good one... 

My rifle is a black rifle
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 19:31:52 (permalink)
If Nyce agrees with Palone, I think it would be fair to classify her as anti-deer along with the vast majority of the maagement inDCNR.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 19:52:11 (permalink)
Even if i were not as sure as i am of what type commissioner this one would make, I dont see this as a matter of "fairness". A nominee isnt going to be devastated by not getting that seat. But the consequences of the wrong ones getting those seats have been more than evident and could concievable be even worse in the future.

The way i see it, commissioners are charged with representing us on the board and are also responsible for very important decisions in regards to our precious natural resources. If there are too many very ugly ominous clouds handing over ones head, there will be others to choose from, I see very little reason to feel compelled to go way way out on a limb and give the benefit of a doubt.

I wouldnt do it when supporting a political candidate. I understand this isnt an "election", but there is no reason we should not be involved in the process. The fact the hunters of this state have been so far removed from that process is a problem in itself imho.

Btw, im not saying this person needs to have her character assassinated! I repectfully expressed my feelings that i do not support her appointment and that i did not believe she would represent my values as a Pennsylvania deer hunter and felt that representation has been lacking for quite some time.

post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/24 20:00:24
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 20:02:51 (permalink)
"I have seen alot here but this nominee being called "anti-deer" is a good one..."

Having seen your posts for years on hpa, you were a palone supporter too werent you dpms? Interesting to see you posting in a supportive manner the other day over on Roxys "woodpile" too. Therefore im not overly surprised at your response in support of the next in line.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/24 20:03:31
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 20:28:04 (permalink)
Ouch again, someone's got your number don't they D.
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 20:46:30 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: wayne c

Having seen your posts for years on hpa, you were a palone supporter too werent you dpms? Interesting to see you posting in a supportive manner the other day over on Roxys "woodpile" too. Therefore im not overly surprised at your response in support of the next in line.

I did support much of what Palone brought to the BOC, that is no secret.  She made some tough decisions and caught alot of flack for sticking to them and still does.

With that being said, I have never voiced my support for Nyce and will withhold my support or non-support till she actually is the nominee.  At that point I will do my research and move forward. 

I am not surprised though that because it appears that she weighs deer equally along with other species, she is being labeled anti-deer. 

dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 20:48:25 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: S-10

Ouch again, someone's got your number don't they D.

No more than your's S-10. 

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 21:06:13 (permalink)
"I am not surprised though that because it appears that she weighs deer equally along with other species, she is being labeled anti-deer."

That certainly is a "NYCE" lol, way of putting it. But what ever would give you the idea she'd hold them in equal regard? Do you have reason to believe she will also be "anti-rabbit", antisquirrel, Antibird, antigroundhog and also seek to reduce the chipmunk population?
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/24 21:34:16 (permalink)
Like I said before, I do not know enough about her to label her anything at this point.  It seems though that others have it all figured out and the only factor that has been mentioned is deer. 

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/25 01:08:12 (permalink)
When the outlook on that one factor looks nothing but grim, There is absolutely no reason to look further past that one factor.

If a commissioners policy on deer is kill them all and to heck with the deer hunters, is it ok and we deer hunters should overlook it, because possibility exists that they just might (or might not) have a fabulous strategy in mind for woodrat, swan and beaver management?
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/25 01:44:14
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4894
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/25 08:11:17 (permalink)
"I am not surprised though that because it appears that she weighs deer equally along with other species, she is being labeled anti-deer."

Not picking on your quote, dpms, just using it to illustrate a point and ask a question or two of all the posters.

What species in PA, should be on the same plane as deer, with regard to the PGC?  Why?

Do you hunt anything besides deer?  If not, then, as a deer only consumer, what do you care about the other species?  If you do hunt other species besides deer, how often?  What exactly does the PGC do for that species?

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
eyesandgillz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4012
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/25 10:00:43 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: DarDys

Not picking on your quote, dpms, just using it to illustrate a point and ask a question or two of all the posters.

What species in PA, should be on the same plane as deer, with regard to the PGC?  Why?

Do you hunt anything besides deer?  If not, then, as a deer only consumer, what do you care about the other species?  If you do hunt other species besides deer, how often?  What exactly does the PGC do for that species?

They all should be on the same plane as that is in the PGC's mission statement somewhere, I thought. 

They aren't the Pennsylvania "Deer" Commission and even "Game" commission is a misnomer because they have a responsibility to conserve and protect all wildlife in PA, not just whitetail deer. 

I am mainly a deer hunter(archery specifically) but will hunt other species as time permits and enjoy seeing ALL wildlife when I am afield.  As hunters, we should be the ultimate conservationists and not so shortsighted that the only successful species we want to see should be the one we hunt the most often or exclusively. 
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/25 11:00:53 (permalink)
I'll have to say deer should command more atention because it is deer that drive the engine that is the PGC. Most hunters identify themselves as deer hunters first and it is the deer that bring the most money into the state. Good business practice dictates that you spend the most attention on the item that brings in the most money if you want to stay solvent and in the business of the PGC that item is the whitetail deer.
wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/25 12:24:58 (permalink)
In reply to dardys, from my personal viewpoint, i value deer more than most other game, naturally because thats what i hunt. I do however value other game and nongame species very much. But those arent currently the ones being mismanaged imho.

For the record, i also would not support reducing the turkey, rabbit, squirrel or other game animal population excessivley for no good reason either.

But in all fairness, deer arent "equal" though in any regard whatsoever. Like it or not, they pay the bills, thats why most hunters buy a license. While it may be a romantic notion to think the world is perfect, the pgc is fair with everyone and everything they deal with, the deer hunter is equal to the antihunter who is equal to the environmentalist who is given equal regard as the enironmentalist. Or that the deer mouse is equal to the cottontail which is equal to the deer thats not reality.

About the worst possible animal to MIS-manage in this state would be the whitetail deer. It requires alot of management attention, alot more man hours money etc. than any other species. And there are very very negative effects in having too many and also too few.

I also dont see it as me not holding other species in high regard by not supporting deer mismanagement. I see the mismanagement as pgc not giving deer & deer hunters their due. The timber industry and Audubon are up pgcs butt these days.. I think we all know how timber guys feel about deer. And as for audubon they have no qualms about calling deer woods wreckers, hoofed rats and other enviros have referred to them as "mountain maggots"(which was stated by a past pgc biologist quite a few years back). That is the same sentiment i also see coming from pgc these days.... Unholy alliances with the very groups who speak this way about our deer herd while ignoring the hunter, Unnecessary slaughter....Deer "pesticide" use policy.... and on and on.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/25 13:37:06
dpms
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/25 17:41:39 (permalink)
Well, it looks like Nyce is not even interested in pursueing the seat.  On to the next potential candidate.

wayne c
Pro Angler
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/25 20:28:16 (permalink)
I was kinda hoping she gave it a shot. Better to know who is the enviro candidate. When its so obvious, makes it easier to know who to oppose. Thats not always so clear. Often dont have a clue what they are all about until its too late.

Its kinda like picking from a box of cream filled chocolates and hoping that when you make the commitment to bite, you dont get the one with the nasty brown stuff inside.
bigtrout4x4
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 219
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/27 23:16:26 (permalink)
THE ONLY QUESTION I HAVE IS------so who led in the first dance when you all got married??? silver or wayne? you both bicker like a married couple!!! CARRY ON!!
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: Antideer Environmentalist Seeking PGC commission seat 2010/05/30 18:25:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thedrake

How soon will this one get locked? My bet is before we're on page 2.

The clock is ticking....
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: