I was wondering

Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/15 14:26:47 (permalink)

I was wondering

Does anyone think it's possible for us to have a discussion about the PGCs deer management policy without it decending into name calling and insults? I, for one, am beginning to doubt it.

19 Replies Related Threads

deerfly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1271
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/15 21:05:13 (permalink)
    I am more than willing to engage anyone in a discussion of the PGC DMP without resorting to name calling or insults. The problem seems to be that what one posters may be consider to be mild sarcasm is viewed by those on the other side of the issue as an insult or cheap shot. Anytime some one uses terms like ,there are no deer ,hunters want a deer behind every tree,shoot a doe instead of a buck,hunt harder or move to a new area,quit whining because I can still harvest as many deer as I want or the habitat can't support more deer, those terms are sure to result in a negative and often times combative response by those on the opposite side of the issue.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/16 00:41:15 (permalink)
    Kinda like saying somebody never posts anything serious.....

Since you are either new here, or someone posting under a new handle, give me a feel for your stance. Are you philosophically closer to Dr. Trout or Wayne C? I think those guys represent extremes in the respective positions that hunters may take.
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/16 08:38:25 (permalink)
    Remember that comment was in response to sarcastic posts by you and Doc regarding the the size of the herd in 2F. I am more than willing to discuss a topic without the insults and cheap shots , but once it starts all bets are off.

I don't think Wayne's views are extreme, but he does have a rather aggressive way of expressing his views just as Doc can be rather abrasive. My basic position is that our herd is being managed for the benefit of DCNR, the timber industry and the Audubon, instead of on the true carrying capacity of the habitat or the average social carrying capacity of all the stake holders in the state.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/16 12:44:19 (permalink)
    "Since you are either new here, or someone posting under a new handle, give me a feel for your stance. Are you philosophically closer to Dr. Trout or Wayne C? I think those guys represent extremes in the respective positions that hunters may take."

Dr trout, maybe. Me? not even close. I think you are confusing my willingness to adamently defend myself and expanding that to holding an "extreme position" on the issues.

My postions on the issues, which is what matters, are as middle of the road as they come. I just may voice them a bit more vocally than some who hold the exact same views. Id invite you to point out anything extreme in regards to any of my actual "positions" on these issues, and maybe even how different are they from your own?? I could hold the exact same views on the issues and because im more vocal, wouldnt mean the positions themselves were any more or less extreme.

Ive repeatedly said i dont want a deer behind every tree and that hr was needed in some areas. I also contend it went a bit too far in some areas, and in others perhaps none at all may have been needed. It was a blanket approach. I repeatedly said i also support ar. Where is the extreme part? Thats about as mainstream middle of the road as it gets. These are also sentiments i hear constantly from many sportsmen, and in fact you yourself probably wouldnt disagree. I also hear some say that they support nothing about the plan. Others who want to go back the way things were. I dont have a problem with them holding that opinion at all. But it clearly shows that my "stance" is far from extreme, just because i am more vocal in support of my "stance" has nothing to do with the position itself.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/05/16 12:56:45
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/16 12:52:15 (permalink)
    I just meant that you and doc had opposing views. Maybe you are not as far from Doc philosophically as I thought.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/16 13:17:26 (permalink)
    Perhaps not. But there are definately more than enough differences there to prevent any agreement on "how things should be".
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/16 13:26:24 (permalink)
    I think you will find that Doc will support whatever position the PGC has on any issue at any given time when it comes to deer. The PGC currently appears to be trying to undermine the new BOC and that is the issue he is currently focused on. It's part of the trade off for getting his information from them. It's no different than a number of the sports writers. You don't bite the hand that feeds you.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/17 09:59:13 (permalink)
    Danesdad,

The topic of deer numbers, AR, and HR will rarely be a discussion. It will nearly always be an arguement....for a couple of reasons.

One big reason is the rumors that get started, and are exaggerated from one person to the next. Take the insurance company/PGC secret partnership that some believe exists. A lot of guys will tell you the pgc gets payouts from insurance companies for lowering deer numbers. Others will tell you the pgc stocks coyotes and mountain lions to eliminate the deer herd. Some even try to say they saw coyotes with tags on them indicating they were stocked by the PGC. In the end these lies that get spread make many people not trust the game commission. Some of those people get on forums. We've seen it here.

Another reason the topic will always be an arguement is that there are guys who believe nothing the pgc says. The pgc could say the sky is blue, and these guys would say it's purple. On the other hand, if the pgc said the sky is purple, there would be some who would agree simply because they support the pgc to no end and would never disagree. We have both types on this forum, and both believe they're going to change each others mind over the internet. When they don't change each others minds things get heated.

Mark Twain once said "there are 3 kinds of lies.... lies, dam lies, and statistics". I think of that quote all the time when you guys start throwing numbers at each other. Ther are numbers out there to support both sides of many arguements. Take the AR topic for example. If you google the topic, i'd bet you'll find studies on each side complete with statistics. Someone reading these studies would read the ones on both sides of the agruement, but will only post the statistics from ones that support their side, without mention of the other studies. My point is, we all see the numbers that support our beliefs and ignore the ones that don't. When we argue this way nobody's mind gets changed, and once again it gets heated.

I could go on and on, but will stop there on the topic.

Also, I've gotta tell you guys I'm done here, at least for a while. The forums aren't interesting to me any more. The deer arguement has been beaten to death on here over and over, and gets tied into every thread regardless of the topic. I have nothing more to add.

post edited by thedrake - 2010/05/17 10:44:11
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/17 12:10:41 (permalink)
    "A lot of guys will tell you the pgc gets payouts from insurance companies for lowering deer numbers. Others will tell you the pgc stocks coyotes and mountain lions to eliminate the deer herd. Some even try to say they saw coyotes with tags on them indicating they were stocked by the PGC."

I agree that these claims are unfounded imho. I dont hold any of those positions and dont know anyone that does. Although i have seen the claims made once in a great while on one message board or another from time to time. I usually chuckle to myself and move on..

" In the end these lies that get spread make many people not trust the game commission."

I believe there are plenty of reason they themselves have given us not to trust them. And it has nothing to do with unsupported conspiracy theories and wild wives tales.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/17 15:49:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: thedrake

Danesdad,

The topic of deer numbers, AR, and HR will rarely be a discussion. It will nearly always be an arguement....for a couple of reasons.

One big reason is the rumors that get started, and are exaggerated from one person to the next. Take the insurance company/PGC secret partnership that some believe exists. A lot of guys will tell you the pgc gets payouts from insurance companies for lowering deer numbers. Others will tell you the pgc stocks coyotes and mountain lions to eliminate the deer herd. Some even try to say they saw coyotes with tags on them indicating they were stocked by the PGC. In the end these lies that get spread make many people not trust the game commission. Some of those people get on forums. We've seen it here.

Another reason the topic will always be an arguement is that there are guys who believe nothing the pgc says. The pgc could say the sky is blue, and these guys would say it's purple. On the other hand, if the pgc said the sky is purple, there would be some who would agree simply because they support the pgc to no end and would never disagree. We have both types on this forum, and both believe they're going to change each others mind over the internet. When they don't change each others minds things get heated.

Mark Twain once said "there are 3 kinds of lies.... lies, dam lies, and statistics". I think of that quote all the time when you guys start throwing numbers at each other. Ther are numbers out there to support both sides of many arguements. Take the AR topic for example. If you google the topic, i'd bet you'll find studies on each side complete with statistics. Someone reading these studies would read the ones on both sides of the agruement, but will only post the statistics from ones that support their side, without mention of the other studies. My point is, we all see the numbers that support our beliefs and ignore the ones that don't. When we argue this way nobody's mind gets changed, and once again it gets heated.

I could go on and on, but will stop there on the topic.

Also, I've gotta tell you guys I'm done here, at least for a while. The forums aren't interesting to me any more. The deer arguement has been beaten to death on here over and over, and gets tied into every thread regardless of the topic. I have nothing more to add.

OK, good answer. I kind of suspected as much.
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/17 16:56:24 (permalink)
    Mark Twain once said "there are 3 kinds of lies.... lies, dam lies, and statistics". I think of that quote all the time when you guys start throwing numbers at each other. Ther are numbers out there to support both sides of many arguement

I doubt that anyone can produce the numbers that show that reducing the herd by over 45 % has resulted in a corresponding increase in regeneration and I doubt that anyone can provide a logical explanation why regeneration is still decreasing. So while the general principles of HR and ARs may have been beat to death,there are some new issues that merit discussions among those that are interested in the future of deer hunting in PA.
    World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/17 17:02:34 (permalink)
    You know, 25 years ago, lack of regeneration was caused by acid rain; thats what we were told or do us older people forget that........WF
    deerfly
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/17 17:43:20 (permalink)
    I guess that might depend on who you were listening to 25 years ago, In 1985 the PGC was singing the same song as they did for the past 10 years and that was , the deer were the cause for the lack of regeneration. While acid rain was known to be a problem back then ,most reports were that it was effecting the growth of mature sugar maples at higher elevations.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/17 23:00:34 (permalink)
    DCNR fences are a bit silly but I'll use those areas to ask the question, because they fences are usually put up are a clear cut.

If acid rain is such a problem (and many believe it), why is the growth in these areas so thick, I can't get my fat****through them ?  The deer certainly do little damage to the area even after the fences are taken down.

I believe deer are a contributing factor for problems with habitat regeneration, but I believe it's primarily lack of sunlight/age of forest.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/18 07:23:00 (permalink)
    Silver,I agree with your last sentence for the most part. Most plants/trees will grow when the forest floor is opened up to the sun and the competing underbrush is removed by herbicides as is done in the clearcuts. Where acid rain comes into play is by limiting the growth. Would you perfer your seedling to grow 6" per year or 2' per year. The farmers lime their fields for this reason. They need fields of tall lush corn rather than spotty/stunted fields which they would have without sweetening the soil. I have always contended that deer were a sympton of the problem we have and not the main problem. It's just the easiest to address.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/18 15:36:19 (permalink)
    You dont think acid rain is harder on some species than others? Because I would bet that acid rain slows the growth of oak seedlings more than it does, say, Hemlock or rhododendron.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/18 16:23:31 (permalink)
    Without going into specifics the short answer is yes it has a greater effect on some species than others. Actually, oaks are somewhat tolerant to acidic soil but it will slow their growth meaning the deer have many more years to reach the seedlings than if the soil was the correct ph. I actually have a small area of apple, hazel, next to some oaks and hickory that I both lime and fertlize every couple years. You would be amazed at the difference when compared with the adacent woods. I used to fertlize certain white oaks I wanted to hunt over
    every year and you would be surprised at the difference that makes in the number and taste of the acorns. It's fairly expensive to do and I quit after retiring. It was nice having your secret honey hole in the middle of the forest.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/18 23:36:45 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wayne c

Id invite you to point out anything extreme in regards to any of my actual "positions" on these issues, and maybe even how different are they from your own?? I could hold the exact same views on the issues and because im more vocal, wouldnt mean the positions themselves were any more or less extreme.

In a past post you said the pgc is a lameduck agency.   That's pretty extreme.  And those exact words were once said by the one and only... Slinky Jim of the Unified Sportsman.  Pretty extreme if you ask me.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    wayne c
    Pro Angler
    RE: I was wondering 2010/05/19 11:46:01 (permalink)
    "In a past post you said the pgc is a lameduck agency. That's pretty extreme."

Its not extreme. Its 100% accurate. They cant do a think without legislators approval and they have a history of not doing a thing without dcnr approval. You also dont have an understanding of what you read. The post was addressing someone else, who unlike you wouldnt make something up to address the question, and in typical silverkype fashion, you read what you wanted to read and you also ignored "in regards to any of my actual "positions" on these issues". Whether some consider if pgc were a lameduck agency or not is really an important issue to you i guess. lmao. Way to tackle the intellectual issues. lol.

"And those exact words were once said by the one and only... Slinky Jim of the Unified Sportsman."

And every single word hes ever said since birth has been wrong? Or just every single word where pgc is concerned? of course not one word hes ever said have you ever spoken also. lmao. Just yesterday i said "Man this is good pizza". I'll bet Al Gore said that before. Must make me a liberal. lmao. Too funny.

Jump to: