some new accessories.....

Author
tippecanoe
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1451
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/12 13:16:48 (permalink)

some new accessories.....

Looking to dress up the bow this off season with some new accessories.  I currently have some el cheapo stuff on there, and although I have killed several of deer with it like it is, I have a desire to make things a little easier on myself.  One thing is the sight.  I have my heart set on the G5 Optix XR....any feedback would be great.  I like the several small pins, light option, and the adjustable bottom pin, for really dialing it on on a long bomber.  Anyone use a light?  I fear that it will be too bright, and cause me to lose the ability to see past it when it is dusk.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424-cat20071&rid=&indexId=cat20071&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20071&id=0068576

I am also in the market for a new rest.  I have looked at some drop aways, but in my limited archery experience, I have had several whacked out shots, and i don't know how the drop away would perform on these.  So I have been looking at the brush type, although cheap in price, it looks like what I am looking for.  I am currently using a whisker biskit, and it really beats up my fletchings.  Here is what i am looking at now.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/standard-pod-wrapped.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424-cat20074&rid=&indexId=cat20074&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=3&parentType=index&parentId=cat20074&id=0057115

I also need to get a range finder.  I have been working with guess and shoot from the beginning, and so far it has worked out for me, but if I miss a 180 inch buck in Ohio this year, I would never forgive my cheap****  Not looking to spend a fortune, but what do you guys use, and what do you like/dislike about it?

Any feedback on any of the above would be great.  I am a lefty, and that limits me some in the rest/sight department.  I would like to get my rest and sight first, get used to them over the summer, and then get a decent rangefinder right before season.

Also, how often do you guys replace strings?  I fear stretching, and general wear as well.  I have had the bow for 3 years now, and have yet to do anything but wax my string.

16 Replies Related Threads

justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/12 14:41:01 (permalink)
    I am having the same problem with the whisker biscuit messing up my fletching.. I think I might get a fall away but I like the octane rest as well. Haven't decided yet

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/12 15:20:31 (permalink)
    I shoot a muzzy zero effect. No complaints. Everyone that has a dropaway I hunt with shoots a ripcord. No complaints. Have heard mutiple issues about trophy ridge drop away. That's all I got.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/12 15:40:48 (permalink)
    I've shot a Trophy Ridge drop away for four years with no problem. I have a Nikon 440 range finder $180 at the time. It's great for archery but goes blank after about 300 yds. Whiskers are hard on fletching but great for those straight down shots.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/12 18:12:17 (permalink)
    I had the Muzzy Zero Effect for a few years. Overall it performed very well, I was always big fan of the inertia driven drop away mechanism. However, the part of the rest that slides on the cable wore out on me. I was getting lots of extra vibration and noise; after checking everything imaginable on the bow, I finally figured out the rest was the culprit.

I shoot a QAD Ultra-Rest now; I have no complaints whatsoever with it. The only thing is that it did take some playing with to get the timing right. Make sure you have someone competent to set it up for you (most shops will do it for free).

As far as accessories, I would look into a string suppressor if your bow does not have one already. They are worth every penny for the noise and vibration reductions they provide.
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2010/05/12 21:33:28
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/13 08:46:12 (permalink)
    Yep, get an STS if you don't have one and your bow can incorporate it.

I have not had any issues with my fletchings (feather or vanes) with my whisker bisquit but I am sure it happens.  Only time I mess them up is when I blow through an older target.  That being said, my cousin shoots a muzzy zero effect on his older Mathews and loves it. 

I like to tinker with my own stuff and never messed with a drop away so I stayed away from them.

As far as string stretch, as long as it isn't frayed, buy a bow scale or take it to a shop and see what you are pulling.  If it is pretty close to what it was originally, it probably hasn't stretched much.  If you don't shoot an insane amount and keep it waxed, it should last a bunch of years (newer string materials have a lot less stretch).  But, other than the pocket book, it doesn't hurt to change it out on a set interval either.  I had the same string on my old Mathews FX for 7 years and it was still shooting fine. 
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/13 10:24:46 (permalink)
    Like s10 I shoot the trophy ridge drop away. Its quiet, has good fletching clearance, and has not needed adjusted once since I got it a year ago.

A lot of guys I shoot with are now shooting the rip chord, because it offer the best of both worlds as a drop away with full containment.

A couple of my friends were shooting whisker biscuits before the switched to drop aways. They all tightened their groups when they made the switch.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/13 19:36:08 (permalink)
    I am shooting a Vectrix, and it came with a string suppressor, but it is starting to lose its effect, I should probably get it replaced.  Everyone seems pretty happy with the drop aways, so maybe I will go to that, I will have to ask the dealer I go to about the sharp angle shots.  I got it new a few years ago when it first came out, and have taken pretty good care of it, just haven't put any money into it.  i was thinking about upgrading my arrows, right now i am shooting maxis something or another.  I like them, but I would like to get a dozen new arrows to work with.  What arrows are you guys shooting?
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/13 19:47:11 (permalink)
    I'm shooting carbon express maxima 350's. They're pricey, but shoot great.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/14 10:53:29 (permalink)
    I shoot gold tips. XT hunter & pro hunter are good. I've have some expeditions fly a little questionable. Have even re-fletched them and they were still goofy. Lots of people I hunt with shoot bemans ICS I believe. No issues.

Only ones I've heard issues with were Easton Axis - problems breaking.

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/14 15:19:15 (permalink)
    I personally shoot with a ripcord on my Guardian and I love it. Full containment, easy adjustment, not bad price wise. I also shoot a really heavy Easton FMJ.  I am a believer in the heavy arrow is a better arrow school, more power and follow through for me.  In the string department it depends directly on how much you shoot.  I have a buddy that shoots 3D and gets a new string every year, its part of his yearly bow maintenance. Hope this helped some or gave you some things to look into.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/18 08:11:13 (permalink)
    tippe

I shoot alot pre-season and that includes from a treestand. We got a "deer on wheels" we move around for each other. I actually shoot alot of 4-7 yard shots while up 18 feet. I've never noticed gravity taking control of an arrow released thru a dropaway.

redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/05/19 13:20:26 (permalink)
    I shoot easton FMJ 400 out of my alphamax.  Fly very well.  I too shoot the trophy taker drop away rest.  Never had a problem with it.
    yaoming986
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/06/01 08:26:17 (permalink)
    I also need to get a range finder. I have been working with guess and shoot from the beginning, and so far it has worked out for me, but if I miss a 180 inch buck in Ohio this year, I would never forgive my cheap**** Not looking to spend a fortune, but what do you guys use, and what do you like/dislike about it
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/06/02 20:27:21 (permalink)
    My favorite rangefinder feature is the red reticle. It makes it useable in low light conditions.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/06/09 19:49:45 (permalink)
    I have the trophy taker drop away. 3 seasons no problems yet. My brother has the Octane on his alpha-max and he loves it. Looks nice and seems to have less draw noise than trophy taker. I also would reccomend the Extreme sights. I really like these, comparable to the G5, but without the pricetag. For arrows I shoot the Easton Axxis and the Carbon Xpress IC Hunters. Both of them seem to be stout and fly nice.

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 763
    RE: some new accessories..... 2010/06/13 13:18:30 (permalink)
    My maxxis 31 is setup with a HHA xl5519,QAD ultra rest and a G5 peep sight.I shoot the easton st axis through it at 73 lb's of KE.My rangefinder of choice is the bushnell arc 1200.I love all my accesories.I got the rangefinder for free but not really.I bought it when cabela's gave you a cash card.I bought two garmin gps for out west and then got my rangefinder with the cash cards.
    Jump to: